• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What a Good Democrat Christian Woman

Wait, what? Jailing people for their religious beliefs is a pretty dangerous precedent, regardless of what kind of person they are or where they work. There are other avenues for redress of the grievances against her and for dealing with her remonstration.

Religious and gay rights angle aside, it will be interesting to see what happens with this. Can she be removed from office if the electorate doesn't vote to impeach her? Can the government get rid of an elected official if the people want her in there?

Last edited:
Wait, what? Jailing people for their religious beliefs is a pretty dangerous precedent, regardless of what kind of person they are or where they work. There are other avenues for redress of the grievances against her and for dealing with her remonstration.

We already knew our religious freedoms were in danger. They are now gone. Another core piece of our rights has been destroyed.

I knew a local state representative (D) who did the same.....many were unaware his father was retiring and they voted for the name.....but in a D stronghold so not sure it would have mattered.

That's how Senator Bob Casey Jr. got elected in PA.

We already knew our religious freedoms were in danger. They are now gone. Another core piece of our rights has been destroyed.

Come on. This isn't destroying anyone's religious freedom. This is a public servant not following the law. I'm pretty sure a pacifist clerk at the police station who refused to process background checks wouldn't fly either.

Come on. This isn't destroying anyone's religious freedom. This is a public servant not following the law. I'm pretty sure a pacifist clerk at the police station who refused to process background checks wouldn't fly either.

Yep.

Government officials shouldn't be able to flaunt the law but they do all the time....

I see this resulting in the birth of another conscientious objector classification.

She doesn't have to approve or say God approves. Her limited function for which she is overpaid is to read the application and certify the 2 people meet the state's legal qualifications. Her opinion doesn't come into this functionary task. Freedom from religion is as important as freedom of religion. She's forcing her's on the whole office and all the people in the county. You only like it because it's a belief system you share. Let it be someone else's belief system and you'd cry like a little girl. I'm seeing pigtails here.

She doesn't have to approve or say God approves. He limited function for which she is overpaid is to read the application and certify the 2 people meet the state's legal qualifications. He opinion doesn't come into this functionary task. Freedom from religion is as important as freedom of religions. She's forcing her's on the whole office and all the people ion the county.

Makes just want to grow the government some more AMIRITE?

She doesn't have to approve or say God approves. Her limited function for which she is overpaid is to read the application and certify the 2 people meet the state's legal qualifications. Her opinion doesn't come into this functionary task. Freedom from religion is as important as freedom of religion. She's forcing her's on the whole office and all the people in the county. You only like it because it's a belief system you share. Let it be someone else's belief system and you'd cry like a little girl. I'm seeing pigtails here.

Not true Vis. See, what I want is true "equality,", not this equality that necessitates others have to be stripped of their rights or freedoms so that another group can get their own. This robbing from Peter to pay Paul. The 3% of Americans that are gay being the tail wagging the dog.

See, if the opposite were true, nary a peep would be heard. Say a Christian Minister went to the local county government to obtain a deed to build a new church. And the person in charge of handing out permits for the entire county just happened to be gay. And he just happened to know the Christian Minister was vehemently opposed to gay marriage. And the person refused to give the building permit because it went against his gay belief system. There would be crickets and you damn well know it. It wouldn't be national news. It might not even be local news. And there sure as hell would be no jailing of the gay man for refusing to do his/her job.

Or imagine this had been a Muslim county clerk refusing to hand out marriage licenses. It would have been treated just like the Muslim bakeries that refuse to make gay wedding cakes. *Crickets*

This isn't about my belief system. If you view me as the religious Duggar-type, you'd be exceptionally wrong. This is about stopping the erosion of the rights of the majority to pacify the smallest segments of population among us.

True, she wasn't performing her job duties. But I'll argue again, make this a gay county clerk, make it a Muslim county clerk, and their sexual orientation and/or religious background would have a) kept them from being targets, and b) kept them from going to jail.

This is just a perfect, poster case for the continued war on Christianity.

Piece of trash, let her rot in jail. Sooner we forget about this Honey Boo Boo cousin wanabe the better off we'll be.

Not true Vis. See, what I want is true "equality,", not this equality that necessitates others have to be stripped of their rights or freedoms so that another group can get their own. This robbing from Peter to pay Paul. The 3% of Americans that are gay being the tail wagging the dog.

See, if the opposite were true, nary a peep would be heard. Say a Christian Minister went to the local county government to obtain a deed to build a new church. And the person in charge of handing out permits for the entire county just happened to be gay. And he just happened to know the Christian Minister was vehemently opposed to gay marriage. And the person refused to give the building permit because it went against his gay belief system. There would be crickets and you damn well know it. It wouldn't be national news. It might not even be local news. And there sure as hell would be no jailing of the gay man for refusing to do his/her job.

Or imagine this had been a Muslim county clerk refusing to hand out marriage licenses. It would have been treated just like the Muslim bakeries that refuse to make gay wedding cakes. *Crickets*

This isn't about my belief system. If you view me as the religious Duggar-type, you'd be exceptionally wrong. This is about stopping the erosion of the rights of the majority to pacify the smallest segments of population among us.

True, she wasn't performing her job duties. But I'll argue again, make this a gay county clerk, make it a Muslim county clerk, and their sexual orientation and/or religious background would have a) kept them from being targets, and b) kept them from going to jail.

This is just a perfect, poster case for the continued war on Christianity.

Making up BS examples doesn't help your argument. Civil clerks must do their jobs. She ran for that office and took an oath to do her duty. If her oath and her religion are in conflict she should step down. The conscientious objector doesn't join the army and try to stop all the training of everyone for religious freedom..

Side note. **** this lady, has me on the same side as Tibs and Vis. Feel like I should grow white dreadlocks and bathe in patchouli.

According to her interpretation of marriage, she should also refuse a marriage license to two atheists.

Marriage is actually a secular institution in our society that establishes government created legal obligations between the two parties.
There is no requirement that a religion has to be involved or associated with it. Religion involvement is cultural, a custom, not necessary.

Making up BS examples doesn't help your argument. Civil clerks must do their jobs. She ran for that office and took an oath to do her duty. If her oath and her religion are in conflict she should step down. The conscientious objector doesn't join the army and try to stop all the training of everyone for religious freedom..

And I'll continue to contend that a gay civil servant could refuse service and fall back on "being gay" and not end up in jail. I'll likewise contend that a Muslim civil servant could do the same, and not be jailed for not performing their job duties.

Until you can prove this wouldn't be the case, you're no more right than I on this issue.

Pointing the pendulum in my direction are the endless obvious double standards that exist in our country now. Muslim bakeries can deny catering gay weddings all day, every day and nothing's done about it. Let Miracle Pizza refuse to "hypothetically" cater a gay wedding, and well, death threats must be levied. Or look at the case of Bill Jack of Colorado (I'm sure you remember - the Colorado Civil Rights agency rules) - a bakery can refuse to bake an anti-gay cake, but it's discrimination to refuse a pro-gay cake.

Yeah...I'm pretty sure, in light of these endless double standards, that if the shoe were on the other foot, Matt Lauer and NBC wouldn't be talking about the Muslim county clerk refusing marriage licenses to gays.

Last edited:
According to her interpretation of marriage, she should also refuse a marriage license to two atheists.

Marriage is actually a secular institution in our society that establishes government created legal obligations between the two parties.
There is no requirement that a religion has to be involved or associated with it. Religion involvement is cultural, a custom, not necessary.

So, we need a smaller government that doesn't recognize marriage of any kind.....

But when she ran for the office the duties didn't include what they do now, so I'd say she has a legitimate argument on that point. CO's don't "join" the Army at all so that argument's moot.

Anyhow this is an issue that should be handled locally, whether by her superiors or the voters.....an overly heavy handed federal response is ridiculous and frightening.

Fired for not doing her job? I'm fine with that, not sure how she ended up in jail, seems a little over the top.

Fired for not doing her job? I'm fine with that, not sure how she ended up in jail, seems a little over the top.

Pretty much how I feel. There's absolutely no justification for her being jailed for refusing to perform her job duties. At most -- a reprimand if she had no prior job infractions, at worst, losing her position for failure to uphold the law.

Pretty much how I feel. There's absolutely no justification for her being jailed for refusing to perform her job duties. At most -- a reprimand if she had no prior job infractions, at worst, losing her position for failure to uphold the law.

You can't fire or even reprimand someone who is in an elected position. Any reprimand would probably have to come from the governor. We have that problem in my county with the sheriff, who makes the crooked ones in 1970's Burt Reynolds ex-con-running-moonshine movies look like pikers. He would have to be impeached by the state legislature which is a process that takes so long that it's quicker to wait for an election year. This in fact happened and he lost in the primary and will be out at the end of the year.

The other side is that the two gay guys (not that there's anything wrong with that) who wanted a marriage license aren't even residents of KY*, they're from OH, so they were obviously shopping for a county clerk who would deny them a marriage license so they could make a big deal about it. I wonder how many county offices they went to before they found someone who told them no?

*You see what I did there.

Last edited:
Well said. If this was a Muslim woman refusing to perform a required task under her job description based on her religious beliefs, every right winger from here to Timbuktu would be screaming for her *** to be fired. It I'm not mistaken, divorce is also condemned in the Bible. She certainly didn't have a problem setting her "beliefs" aside then, did she? The law says married people are allowed to get a divorce. The Bible says its wrong. She got the divorce... twice. Now she is going to claim her faith should give her the right to deny two other people something that they are entitled to by law. What would her reaction have been if the judge had refused to grant her divorces based on his belief that divorce went against his beliefs? I say fire the hypocrite *****.

Well said. If this was a Muslim woman refusing to perform a required task under her job description based on her religious beliefs, every right winger from here to Timbuktu would be screaming for her *** to be fired. It I'm not mistaken, divorce is also condemned in the Bible. She certainly didn't have a problem setting her "beliefs" aside then, did she? The law says married people are allowed to get a divorce. The Bible says its wrong. She got the divorce... twice. Now she is going to claim her faith should give her the right to deny two other people something that they are entitled to by law. What would her reaction have been if the judge had refused to grant her divorces based on his belief that divorce went against his beliefs? I say fire the hypocrite *****.

She can't be fired, she's an elected official.

Her divorces took place before she found Christ. The requirements of her job changed subsequent to that and her acceptance of that job....but nice try.

I dunno, this right-winger thinks she ought to be fired too but as I understand it, hers is an elected position so she would have to be removed or forced to do her job another way.
But I still think there is a double standard and if she was a Muslim the Leftys would be backing her up.

I dunno, this right-winger thinks she ought to be fired too but as I understand it, hers is an elected position so she would have to be removed or forced to do her job another way.
But I still think there is a double standard and if she was a Muslim the Leftys would be backing her up.

That is true about the Muslim part,but only because they embrace evil as good. They've proven that very well.