• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Where were you?

When the second plane hit, I thought WWIII had just started.

Instead, western society has been greatly moved to increasingly fear.

The quality of life has dropped considerably, over this past generation, but no one is talking about it.

I was driving east on I-70. Heard about the attacks on the radio.

Getting ready for just another work day on 2nd shift at Ford Motor Co. in Sandusky, Ohio

Ended up being not just another day...

In the courthouse downtown jax watching it on TV as it happened.

This day was all kinds of weird.
I worked 2nd shift at this time.
Woke up, showered, and left for work. My shift started at noon. I literally lived less than 2 miles from my office.
Did not turn on a TV, and drove to work listening to my TAPE DECK in my Mercury Sable.
When I walked into work and saw the faces, my first thought was we were all just sacked and they were going to close our location.
Then I saw two TVs on the the old wheel carts sitting out, and they NEVER were, and asked my cubicle mate what was going on.
She looked at me like I just crawled out from under a rock on Pluto.

3 hour time difference and the wife and I were still in bed. My high school daughter came in and turned on the TV in the bedroom.
I was supposed to drive to a conference in Vegas later that day, but it was canceled, and I couldn't get across the Hoover dam anyway.

I was working in my lab. A guy I know walked by and told me what happened. I got online. Boston.com had good coverage. They sent everyone home soon after.

I had just gotten to work at North Island Naval Station. I turned on my computer and went to the CNN site on my computer to see what was happening in my world. And a couple of minutes later there was an alert on CNN about a plane hitting the WTC. And I thought some air traffic controller really has hit butt in a sling over this one. Then there was a report of a second plane hitting the WTC and it was a commercial plane. Then I thought we really were in trouble now. Then the base went down to a lockdown, no one in, no one out. After a couple hours they were finally able to relax the no one out command.

Pacific time zone here, was talking on the phone with one of those annoying contractors that phones at 6am when you are working for him. Always have the news on as background when getting ready for work. I think we both said WTF at the same time.
Working that day on farm flats close to the border between Washington State and British Columbia. The flight path above us. It was surreal. All day plane after plane circling then landing at Vancouver’s international airport. Many planes from the States had to land there. Spent days there before air paths were reopened.
My ex works for a major airline at the airport. The scene was unforgettable.

Taught school at that time for at risk kids. Mostly inner city kids who got kicked out of their schools for one reason or another. Criminals and crazies as one lady who worked with me called them. Anyway, as the news broke TVs in the rooms went on. Even those kids sensed this was big and serious and were very subdued throughout the day.

Taught school at that time for at risk kids. Mostly inner city kids who got kicked out of their schools for one reason or another. Criminals and crazies as one lady who worked with me called them. Anyway, as the news broke TVs in the rooms went on. Even those kids sensed this was big and serious and were very subdued throughout the day.
I was also a teacher then, teaching 5th grade. Mrs. Fan hit me up on the car phone (that time frame) and told me about it. I got to school to an emergency meeting of staff. We were instructed to not talk about it unless the kids did first. All the 5th graders did. I was pissed. If I didn't have a young baby boy, I would have signed up for service right then.

I was home. watching the news, I was supposed to fly out of Dulles Airport that afternoon. Had plenty of time. didn't need to get to the Airport super early back then.
News started showing the towers and a **** ton of smoke. I turned the sound up to hear it was a horrible accident. then the 2nd plane hit and the world changed.

First the planes struck. Then we got Obama for 8 years. Now Joe. Three strikes. We're out.

Work. This lady comes in the office, “some small plane hit a bld in NYC.” Within 20 min we all knew. Trying to get on the net was impossible, shut down or drag *** slow.

Eventually, you all can go home.

I sat in front of the tube as a man that does not,… wept. Pissed, just …I Donno.

Sitting at work and heard it on a local radio morning show. Thought it was just a gag bit, but after listening a few minutes I opened my web browser. MSN was my home page and it showed the pictures front and center. Tried to reenlist the next day and was told no due to my service related injury.

Had just shooed everyone out of my office and sat down to finish my birthday cake (yes, it is).
Heard on the radio that a plane hit the WTC. Figured it was an accident, hmm, too bad.
20 minutes later I hear that a second plane hit the other building. I said okay, that was no accident and it’s probably the Muslims. I did not yet at that point hate Muslims.

At home in the San Fernando Valley, getting ready to travel to downtown LA for an early morning hearing. Had NBC news on, report of plane hitting WTC. I recall a private plane hitting the WTC not to long before and presumed same thing happened again. NBC switches to a shot of the building and wow, that is A LOT of damage. That is not a small plane ...

Watching live as NBC shows the second plane hit. You could see it was a big passenger craft.

Knew immediately it was a terrorist attack and like Ron, suspected the Muzzies since they had tried to blow up the towers less than 10 years before.

Stunned but still have to go to court hearing. Drive down to LA, enter courtroom and see the clerk is crying, judge is stunned, said that court was going to close that day. My office at that point was downtown LA in the Wells Fargo Plaza, on the 36th floor. Said, "Yeah, not going there" and went home.

I may have told this story before. My 9/11/01 was somewhat unique.

The day before, I flew from Reagan National airport in Washington DC to Toronto for work at my company's HQ at First Canadian place, a 72 story building downtown.

We had training in an auditorium-like room on the 39th floor. Instructor is speaking when someone announces the first plane hit. Murmurs and whispers follow, then we continued on until plane two hit. Everyone knew we were under attack. We departed class, and went down to the 38th floor where a large TV was and everyone had assembled.

Then they announced the Pentagon was hit, and that bombs were going off around DC (which didn't happen). Panicked, I called my wife at home pregnant with our 2 year old. If you recall, trying to make a cell phone call then was near impossible. FINALLY I get through and beg her to pack and leave and go west to my parent's home (which she did).

We all watched in awe...Shanksville...the FAA shutting down all air travel...then it's announced that planes remaining in the air were being diverted out of the US, with many of the east coast planes being sent to Toronto.

When this was announced, you could literally see the President of the company's thinking happening - "planes...Toronto...we are in one of the tallest buildings downtown...there may be terrorists still on these planes..." He turns around and tells everyone the day is done, to leave and go home and wait on word when to return.

Welp, I couldn't go home. I got to go to the Sheraton a couple blocks away and hole up trying to get out of the country.

That day was a Tuesday. I spent Tuesday through Friday stranded, unable to get a flight, a train, or a car with my travel agent's help. I'm wearing underwear a 3rd time, etc when on Friday at 11:30AM she calls - "I got a rental car for you! A Hertz. But you have to get to Union Station by noon or they are giving it to someone else! Hurry."

It was 10-15 mins to Union Station on foot. I never packed so fast in my life. I was out of there in 5-10 minutes and ran with my luggage...and got the car.

Getting across the border was no joke and cost a lot of time. But the drive (10 hours) ended up being therapeutic. I listened to talk radio most of the way, including a lot of Rush. And if you all will recall, on Friday night of that week, there was a call for a nation wide candle lighting at like 7 or 7:30PM on Friday night. Literally as that occurred, I happened to be driving right through the town of Williamsport, PA (home of the Little League World Series). That beautiful, mom and pop, apple pie town was lined with people holding candles along the road as I drove through. Surreal, sad, and beautiful.

I got home the next day (Saturday) and my wife and son went with me to Reagan to return the car, and to get mine from the airport parking garage.

When I got to my car, I was stunned. The nose of my car had been pointed towards the Pentagon from the garage. It's a 1.25 mile straight line from that wall of the impact and the parking garage.

My car was covered in ash and soot. I had to use washer fluid and the wiper blades to clear the windshield so I could see to drive.

378319139_10227711995037896_1873478259257289010_n.jpg

After, we drove up 395 to see the impact side of the Pentagon. It was still open, visible and smoldering.

Somewhere I have a photo as well taken quickly from my old, crappy cell phone at the time of the Pentagon smoldering.

It was a surreal week for me. For all of us.

I may have told this story before. My 9/11/01 was somewhat unique.

The day before, I flew from Reagan National airport in Washington DC to Toronto for work at my company's HQ at First Canadian place, a 72 story building downtown.

We had training in an auditorium-like room on the 39th floor. Instructor is speaking when someone announces the first plane hit. Murmurs and whispers follow, then we continued on until plane two hit. Everyone knew we were under attack. We departed class, and went down to the 38th floor where a large TV was and everyone had assembled.

Then they announced the Pentagon was hit, and that bombs were going off around DC (which didn't happen). Panicked, I called my wife at home pregnant with our 2 year old. If you recall, trying to make a cell phone call then was near impossible. FINALLY I get through and beg her to pack and leave and go west to my parent's home (which she did).

We all watched in awe...Shanksville...the FAA shutting down all air travel...then it's announced that planes remaining in the air were being diverted out of the US, with many of the east coast planes being sent to Toronto.

When this was announced, you could literally see the President of the company's thinking happening - "planes...Toronto...we are in one of the tallest buildings downtown...there may be terrorists still on these planes..." He turns around and tells everyone the day is done, to leave and go home and wait on word when to return.

Welp, I couldn't go home. I got to go to the Sheraton a couple blocks away and hole up trying to get out of the country.

That day was a Tuesday. I spent Tuesday through Friday stranded, unable to get a flight, a train, or a car with my travel agent's help. I'm wearing underwear a 3rd time, etc when on Friday at 11:30AM she calls - "I got a rental car for you! A Hertz. But you have to get to Union Station by noon or they are giving it to someone else! Hurry."

It was 10-15 mins to Union Station on foot. I never packed so fast in my life. I was out of there in 5-10 minutes and ran with my luggage...and got the car.

Getting across the border was no joke and cost a lot of time. But the drive (10 hours) ended up being therapeutic. I listened to talk radio most of the way, including a lot of Rush. And if you all will recall, on Friday night of that week, there was a call for a nation wide candle lighting at like 7 or 7:30PM on Friday night. Literally as that occurred, I happened to be driving right through the town of Williamsport, PA (home of the Little League World Series). That beautiful, mom and pop, apple pie town was lined with people holding candles along the road as I drove through. Surreal, sad, and beautiful.

I got home the next day (Saturday) and my wife and son went with me to Reagan to return the car, and to get mine from the airport parking garage.

When I got to my car, I was stunned. The nose of my car had been pointed towards the Pentagon from the garage. It's a 1.25 mile straight line from that wall of the impact and the parking garage.

My car was covered in ash and soot. I had to use washer fluid and the wiper blades to clear the windshield so I could see to drive.

378319139_10227711995037896_1873478259257289010_n.jpg

After, we drove up 395 to see the impact side of the Pentagon. It was still open, visible and smoldering.

Somewhere I have a photo as well taken quickly from my old, crappy cell phone at the time of the Pentagon smoldering.

It was a surreal week for me. For all of us.
Have a good friend that was stuck in New Orleans and took a week to finally get a rental car back to Pittsburgh.

Girlfriend woke me up after the first plane hit. It was so surreal...then the second plane hit while EVERYONE was watching. Chilled me to the bone.

I had to go to work...I basically just logged into SN and we all just shared information all day.

Reactions: JMM
Girlfriend woke me up after the first plane hit. It was so surreal...then the second plane hit while EVERYONE was watching. Chilled me to the bone.

I had to go to work...I basically just logged into SN and we all just shared information all day.
It would be interesting to be able to look back at those posts. I remember most were just making sure everyone was ok and where they were. At the time I think we all feared just about any major structure from dams to nuke plants were targets.

Then we had the Anthrax scares soon after. The past 22+ years have been pretty damned ****** up. Sure would be nice to have some peace and quiet for awhile.