• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who is the Best Free Agent QB for the Steelers? (Part 2)

Again why does Winston get called turnover prone in his first 5 years, yet Peyton Manning wasn't? Winston is 2nd in yardage in first 5 years of all NFL QBs ever, except Manning. Manning had 12 more interceptions, and unlike Manning, Winston never had a season when he threw more INTs than TDs.

If you guys can get your biases out of your own heads; You'll see a QB with excellent arm strength and good accuracy, who last year was starting to read defenses pretty well. You don't go from a 1.6 TD/INT ratio to 4.6 without improvement in QB play.
Why did Tampa pull the plug on him and Indy did not on Manning? Indy stayed the course with their QB, Tampa could have. Also I don't really see a QB at New Orleans that is their answer, They will let him walk? Like I said if they bring him in I will support him like any of these low end FA QB's

I'm not just using last season... I'm using his career trends.
Whatever this staff does is on them, I'm a fan and will cheerer for whoever we trot out in black & gold. I just don't want stupid money being spent on subpar players that are just there until we find that guy when we already have that subpar player.
Uhuh he is trending in the right direction. That is the trend that matters. See Cope for extra supportive debate.

Uhuh he is trending in the right direction. That is the trend that matters. See Cope for extra supportive debate.
Then it is a no brainer for New Orleans, you don't let that guy go like that do you? Well when he trends more seasons then one I will be happy to say you are correct with no issues.

Cope,
You may have articulated this elsewhere, but given the present situation, how do you think the Steelers will actually maneuver thru FA?

If they do not act to quickly bring in competition for Rudy, does that mean QB moves to #1 draft priority?

Given the theatre around Rogers, do you have contract/cap impact ranges for your trio of Winston/Bridgewater/Trubiscuit?

Lastly, we heard so much last season about Canada's offence, which seemed to most to be just offensive. Does any one QB stand out as a "fit" for whatever the hell Canada may want to do this year?

TIA

Then it is a no brainer for New Orleans, you don't let that guy go like that do you? Well when he trends more seasons then one I will be happy to say you are correct with no issues.
He became a free agent. He was hurt. Injuries carry risks. Plus if I remember correctly NO has some cap issues. Just checked they were listed last at 32.

Whichever of Trubisky, Winston and Brissett will sign the cheapest deal would be the route I'd go. Brisket will likely come cheapest and has a history of barbecuing with Canada so there's that which could give him an inside track. That is not an endorsement of the worst OC in football by any means and we all know good tasting brisket is in the South...far far away from Canada.

Not sold on any of them, but Mason MUST have competition aside from Haskins...hopefully that competition doesn't come in the form of a first round QB (or even worse a trade up for a first round QB-ugh!)

Whichever one of these guys takes over or we stick with Mason or draft a rookie QB, I think we can all agree that Ben will be missed. even last years Ben let alone Ben of yesteryear.

Whichever one of these guys takes over or we stick with Mason or draft a rookie QB, I think we can all agree that Ben will be missed. even last years Ben let alone Ben of yesteryear.
Of course I point towards his 4th quarter performances.Just beautiful to watch.

He was something special. Father time just caught up it happens to us all.

how much would winston cost? estimated of course

how much would winston cost? estimated of course
Somewhere between 7-11 mil guestimating.

Give him a two year contract you could probably get him for 7 mil coming off injury.

Why did Tampa pull the plug on him and Indy did not on Manning? Indy stayed the course with their QB, Tampa could have. Also I don't really see a QB at New Orleans that is their answer, They will let him walk? Like I said if they bring him in I will support him like any of these low end FA QB's
Probably a change in coaching staff? Winston had 3 coaches in 5 years, Manning had 3 coaches in 13 years.

And yet again, NO is going through a coaching change. They are looking to draft their next QB this year.

Cope,
You may have articulated this elsewhere, but given the present situation, how do you think the Steelers will actually maneuver thru FA?
We have to grab a vet IOL, T, DT, ILB, 2CBs and 2 WRs. SS as well as QB also.
If they do not act to quickly bring in competition for Rudy, does that mean QB moves to #1 draft priority?
It will be higher, but I think the Steelers will either pull of a trade or pick up one of the FA QBs. I don't see any of the FA QBs going early, because they are all question marks. No team will be itching to sign any of these guys the first day of FA and they will call the bluff of Trubisky's agent as he settles into an incentive laded prove it deal.
Given the theatre around Rogers, do you have contract/cap impact ranges for your trio of Winston/Bridgewater/Trubiscuit?
Yes, since the FA market is dead, these are the top 3. They all played for $5M and less last season. With teams needing QB help, and the bump in Salary Cap, I can see $8-12M range for these guys. Though incentives will be high for just about all of them.
Lastly, we heard so much last season about Canada's offence, which seemed to most to be just offensive. Does any one QB stand out as a "fit" for whatever the hell Canada may want to do this year?

TIA
I think Canada has shown he can win with pocket passers and mobile QBs in college. Problem is Ben could only play his own style of offesne, and last year looked nearly identical to the previous season. Why? Because Ben couldn't throw down the middle of the field anymore, and our line couldn't block for routes longer than 12yds. Ben did his best, but we got exposed by good pass rushes and bump and run coverage.

See above!

Again why does Winston get called turnover prone in his first 5 years, yet Peyton Manning wasn't? Winston is 2nd in yardage in first 5 years of all NFL QBs ever, except Manning. Manning had 12 more interceptions, and unlike Manning, Winston never had a season when he threw more INTs than TDs.

If you guys can get your biases out of your own heads; You'll see a QB with excellent arm strength and good accuracy, who last year was starting to read defenses pretty well. You don't go from a 1.6 TD/INT ratio to 4.6 without improvement in QB play.
Winston is the perfect gamble.. people don’t understand that many players get better with experience… they don’t just stay the same forever… its why we have guys calling players busts after one season all the time…

Winston is the perfect gamble.. people don’t understand that many players get better with experience… they don’t just stay the same forever… its why we have guys calling players busts after one season all the time…
He might be... I'm not a fan... To many career INT's and is like a 6 game a year winner... If they bring him in I'll cheer him on.

He might be... I'm not a fan... To many career INT's and is like a 6 game a year winner... If they bring him in I'll cheer him on.
Thats really ultimately all you can do..

Ill root whomever on… but there will be guys rooting against whomever ultimately starts cause it wasn’t their guy….

Thats really ultimately all you can do..

Ill root whomever on… but there will be guys rooting against whomever ultimately starts cause it wasn’t their guy….
Ultimately I would just rather go with Mason and not worry about QB this year. Also if they take a QB late like Strong or Ridder cool.

Ultimately I would just rather go with Mason and not worry about QB this year. Also if they take a QB late like Strong or Ridder cool.
Im hoping ridder maybe in the second round… i don’t think they want a pure pocket passer so I don’t see them taking strong…

Im hoping ridder maybe in the second round… i don’t think they want a pure pocket passer so I don’t see them taking strong…
A lot later is a very athletic QB from Brown EJ Perry... Agree Strong is just big and throws well, not the mobile guy at all.