• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who is the Future at Quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers and the team’s fans got their first glimpse of a non-Ben Roethlisberger led offense in 2021 this past Sunday. Mason Rudolph was far from impressive throughout the game that ended in a 16-16 tie to the winless Detroit Lions. While there were a plethora of mistakes made during the game, criticism immediately was directed at Rudolph and an offense that looked out on sync and unprepared. This, however, was expected with Roethlisberger abruptly being ruled out on Saturday evening due to COVID-19 protocols. With that said, something tells me Rudolph’s performance would have been no different if he had prepared two weeks for that start.

Rudolph is the only quarterback on the roster whose contract does not end after this season and that begs the question: What the heck is the plan for Mike Tomlin‘s team at the quarterback position? Assuming Roethlisberger retires after this season, the answer certainly is not Joshua Dobbs or recently signed James Morgan. That leaves Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins, assuming Haskins re-signs at season’s end. Let’s take a look at the options for Tomlin and Kevin Colbert (supposing Colbert signs his annual one-year contract extension) if Roethlisberger does retire:

Add a Quarterback Through Free Agency​

The 2022 free agent draft class has names such as Jacoby Brissett, Marcus Mariota, Mitch Trubisky, and Teddy Bridgewater, among others. While they wouldn’t be considered a big splash (like some of the names we’ll take a look at below), they’re certainly a possibility. These quarterbacks provide depth and experience allowing for some competition between Rudolph and whoever the third quarterback might be. Any option in this market would be a cheap one which is most likely what the Steelers are more inclined to do.

Draft Roethlisberger’s Successor in 2022​

While the 2022 quarterback class isn’t overwhelmingly deep, Matt Corral (Ole Miss), Sam Howell (North Carolina), Carson Strong (Nevada), Malik Willis (Liberty) and Kenny Picket (Pittsburgh) are all prospects who have potential upsides. The guy that the Steelers like however, may not be on the board for their first round selection, and there are other needs to fill. Nonetheless, there are not many competitive NFL teams that do not have a talented, proven and poised quarterback. There are not many teams that draft as well as the Steelers and they have had scouts in attendance to watch several collegiate quarterbacks play this year. If the team goes this route, we can still expect it to be a training camp and preseason battle between Rudolph and the draftee up until Week 1.

Let Rudolph and Haskins Battle it Out​

If the Steelers decide to re-sign Haskins, it may be the most Pittsburgh Steeler thing of them all to give an opportunity to these two quarterbacks to battle for the starting spot. This is probably the least favorite option for Steelers fans everywhere given Rudolph’s inability to prove himself with multiple opportunities the last couple years and Haskins’ lack of experience. But when have the Steelers listened to what the fans cared about when it came to personnel? Maybe the front office is okay with a 5-12 season in order to draft the future in 2023. There can’t be people in the organization that truly think Rudolph is the answer, right? And while Haskins has a high ceiling with his talent, who even knows if he will even be in Pittsburgh next year.

Make an Offseason Splash​

The sexy names are Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson, but the team is not necessarily known for big trade splashes in the offseason. This comes along with the notion that Rodgers and Wilson are unhappy with their current teams and situations. Many reports have indicated that Tomlin wants to have a veteran quarterback next year and not build the position’s depth through the draft. But reports are reports. Not to mention the asking price for what either of the Pro Bowl quarterbacks would be in 2022. It’s fun to imagine going from one Hall of Fame quarterback to another, but it’s unlikely. It will be interesting to see how Rodgers season ends in Green Bay and if he will want to go elsewhere. The opportunity could present itself, however. Will the Steelers make a call?

There could even be a mixture of everything above. Trade for Wilson, draft a prospect late and have Rudolph sit in the backup role. Sign a free agent, draft a prospect and have one big quarterback battle. There are many options, but if there is one thing most people agree with: there is not an answer or plan right now and that is truly worrisome.

What do you want to see the Steelers do at the quarterback position if Roethlisberger retires? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

pick any of the three on the team right now, go 3-14 and get Bryce Young 2023. no one in the up coming draft is worth wasting a pick on right now. Young is smart, mobile accurate and has a cannon for an arm. I pick another o lineman in the first round this draft, second round I go DB or DE, third round I get whichever I couldn't get in the second or a wide out. Now I start trading picks for 2023 pick so I got trade capital in 2023.

As long as young stays healthy I do what ever it takes to get him in 2023

What if the Steelers next franchise QB is in high school, elementary school, not even born?

Who knows when we get the next franchise QB. Hopefully not too long

What if the Steelers next franchise QB is in high school, elementary school, not even born?

Who knows when we get the next franchise QB. Hopefully not too long
I aint got 25 more years to wait. I will never quit watching and loving this team but I feel depressed just thinking about the future without Ben, even how he plays now.

IMO. Sign Mariota, tender Haskins, draft a late round guy.

pick any of the three on the team right now, go 3-14 and get Bryce Young 2023. no one in the up coming draft is worth wasting a pick on right now. Young is smart, mobile accurate and has a cannon for an arm. I pick another o lineman in the first round this draft, second round I go DB or DE, third round I get whichever I couldn't get in the second or a wide out. Now I start trading picks for 2023 pick so I got trade capital in 2023.

The problem with this plan is there will be at least two teams worse than 3-14. I'd wager.

I aint got 25 more years to wait. I will never quit watching and loving this team but I feel depressed just thinking about the future without Ben, even how he plays now.
I hear you. Being a younger fan, the darkest of times I’ve experienced was the late 90’s.
However as I get older, idk if it’s just the way society is now. But I view sports entertainment wise and don’t get emotionally invested like I used too.

So from another perspective I’m rooting for the Steelers as they are whether good or bad. I still get excited for big wins, but the losses just do not bother anymore. I do enjoy seeing you guys on this board still passionate after a loss.

As much as I try to participate here post game. I just do not get annoyed. I say this in response to this thread because this team without a true franchise QB has historically been tough to watch.

And I’m not going to let a game of which I have no impact on despite my superstitious seating or rearrangements affect me anymore. So don’t be depressed. Life is too short to be depressed over a bunch of millionaires play a game. Win or lose what is created here at Steeler Nation is something to look forward to. We’re a big dysfunctional family here and that’s why I’m happy to be a fan.

Honestly I’m more bummed about not being able to drop in here regularly after thanksgiving. I’ll be working 11 hour days, 5 days a week. I normally have Wednesdays and weekends off. But peak season requires I work sundays which means I’ll be missing steelers games with my dad and logging on to celebrate or go on meltdown with you guys here

I hear you. Being a younger fan, the darkest of times I’ve experienced was the late 90’s.
However as I get older, idk if it’s just the way society is now. But I view sports entertainment wise and don’t get emotionally invested like I used too.

So from another perspective I’m rooting for the Steelers as they are whether good or bad. I still get excited for big wins, but the losses just do not bother anymore. I do enjoy seeing you guys on this board still passionate after a loss.

As much as I try to participate here post game. I just do not get annoyed. I say this in response to this thread because this team without a true franchise QB has historically been tough to watch.

And I’m not going to let a game of which I have no impact on despite my superstitious seating or rearrangements affect me anymore. So don’t be depressed. Life is too short to be depressed over a bunch of millionaires play a game. Win or lose what is created here at Steeler Nation is something to look forward to. We’re a big dysfunctional family here and that’s why I’m happy to be a fan.

Honestly I’m more bummed about not being able to drop in here regularly after thanksgiving. I’ll be working 11 hour days, 5 days a week. I normally have Wednesdays and weekends off. But peak season requires I work sundays which means I’ll be missing steelers games with my dad and logging on to celebrate or go on meltdown with you guys here
This might be a good time to start missing Steelers games though. Brutal schedule. But catch the replay and contribute on here when you have a spare minute!

Reactions: MTC
If I had to guess, it will be Rudolph. I don't think they will seriously look at a starter in FA and I doubt they draft (or can draft someone with confidence) someone in the 1st round. I think they planned to give Rudolph a chance all along and that's what they are going to do with basically no plan B coming other than making sure we have a couple of backups. If the rumors about Haskins are true, he won't even get a true chance to battle Rudolph for the No. 1 spot.

Float or sink to the bottom with Rudolph next year. There cannot be two ****** QB classes in a row. There is only one way to get a franchise QB for any prolonged period of time. Draft him. In regards to Roger's. They will get a 1 or 2 seed and watch what happens in the playoffs. You can't win with a guy like that. He is an *******.

Ahem...RTR

Berm approves of this post.

As much as it hurts to say I'm fairly sure this is it for Ben. I don't think it will be Rogers. I just don't see him coming here for the exact same scenario to play out here as it did in Green Bay. I kind of agree with Sask2 he comes across as kind of a dick and with the all the drama that has recently swirled around the organization I just don't think it's the right way to go. Sooner than later we're going to be drafting a QB which puts him in the exact same position. As others have said I think they give Rudolph a shot, draft some maulers for the OL and look to the future for our next QB. Let's not forget Rudolph isn't a rookie so that makes Tomlin's statement ring true.

This might be a good time to start missing Steelers games though. Brutal schedule. But catch the replay and contribute on here when you have a spare minute!
I’ll survive lol.
I try to stop in when I have time. Juggling between work, family, workouts and here. Still trying to get the hang of that. I’ve logged long hours before but always had a good stretch of down time for breaks. My new job gives two 30 minute breaks spread apart so it’s something to get accustomed to

As much as it hurts to say I'm fairly sure this is it for Ben. I don't think it will be Rogers. I just don't see him coming here for the exact same scenario to play out here as it did in Green Bay. I kind of agree with Sask2 he comes across as kind of a dick and with the all the drama that has recently swirled around the organization I just don't think it's the right way to go. Sooner than later we're going to be drafting a QB which puts him in the exact same position. As others have said I think they give Rudolph a shot, draft some maulers for the OL and look to the future for our next QB. Let's not forget Rudolph isn't a rookie so that makes Tomlin's statement ring true.
Rudolph will be a band aid not the solution. Imo.
I don’t think the Steelers would go after Rogers for the reasons stated above.

However it would be nice to see the Steelers break outside the norm for once. Rogers or Wilson under center post Ben is an entertaining thought as a fan

I’ll survive lol.
I try to stop in when I have time. Juggling between work, family, workouts and here. Still trying to get the hang of that. I’ve logged long hours before but always had a good stretch of down time for breaks. My new job gives two 30 minute breaks spread apart so it’s something to get accustomed to
No I get it. I usually get busy about January and I try to start watching college film of draft prospects for my big board and to give position evaluations for here. But in doing so I’m lucky to post once a week for about 2 months. Work, kids and wife eat up the majority time. Life happens.

There's zero sense in drafting the QB of the future until the OL situation is straightened out. He'll just be set up for failure. Until then I think they just go with Rudolph or FA stop gaps.

With the rookies and young guys on the OL, it may not be that far off. I expect it to be much improved next year.

The QB class this year and from what some posted earlier this year, next year will both be pretty bad compared to the past few years. I would shore up the OL and DL and go from there. Get your QB where and when you can in the next 2 to 3 years, even if it has to be through free agency or a trade - although I sure would much rather draft a young kid out of college like we did with Ben.

I like one QB that will be a FA in the off season and that is Mitch Trubisky former number one of Da Bears.
I think his stats were not that bad in Chicago playing for another clueless coach Da Bears seem to hire and not a lot of offensive talent. Actually his TD to Int ratio looks pretty damn good plus he’s mobile in the pocket. And did I say he’s a FA too? Meaning we don’t have to trade valuable draft capital like you would for the 38 year old Rogers or the well worn Wilson. That’s a major plus. We can use a high pick to finally draft a badly needed number one receiver that this team does not currently have.Resign JuJu as your slot, Dionte and Claypool as your number two guys, and draft your number one in round one. Add some pieces from FA and draft to OL and add Trubisky and I think you have a nice offense. And we have Najee!
Of course I still don’t think we can ever get back to another SB with Coach BS but that’s another topic.

Any band-aid they bring in will need to be a team player and understand that a younger player will be drafted in next few years that they will have to help groom. Rogers is NOT that guy. As others said, does not matter as long as the same buffoons is running the ship

Kenny 'Picksburgh'. They move up in the draft to take the hometown kid that they didn't take when Marino was available.

If we could get Trubisky to come here for the right price, I would have no problem kicking the tires. I certainly wouldn't be signing him to any long-term QB1 deal.