• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who will be the Steelers’ QB1 in 2022?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
banneradbigbensteelernation-1024x74.png

With the retirement of the future Hall of Fame quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, the Pittsburgh Steelers have a huge hole at the most important position in football. With a lot of questions around the position, what will the Steelers do to fill that hole? Let’s take a look at some of the options the Steelers might have.

In-house options​

Mason Rudolph has already had some time being the starter for the Steelers, including one start this season that resulted in a tie against the Detroit Lions. Rudolph struggled in the game, but his receivers also didn’t help in the cause by fumbling twice in overtime. Rudolph has started 10 games over his career with a record of 5-4-1, including 16 touchdowns to 11 interceptions. I am not sure if he is the correct answer to throw out next season.

Mason Rudolph

Dwayne Haskins who has had a tough start to his career in the NFL. Haskins who was drafted out of Ohio State in the 1st round by the Washington Commanders back in 2019, had made a total of 13 starts with a record of 3-10. If you look at his record compared to Rudolphs you would say it isn’t close who should start out of these two… but the former 1st round pick has not had a real chance in this league to be a franchise guy. The Steelers should give him the chance to be the number one guy next season as long as no one else is brought in over the off-season.

Dwayne-Haskins-AP-Photo.jpg

AP Photo

Free Agents / Trades​

Aaron Rodgers is the number one guy for me. If their is any chance of getting him, the Steelers should do it. But it all depends on the asking price for the presumably back to back MVP of the NFL. Rodgers led the Green Bay Packers to the number one seed once again in 2021 and put together another great season. But Rodgers, who had issues with the team last off-season, seems to be possibly on his way out of the frozen tundra. Rodgers has been linked to the Steelers ever since the Week 4 matchup when Rodgers and Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin were seen smiling at each other during the game. Rodgers would make the Steelers a top 3 team in the AFC if they were able to bring in the future Hall of Fame quarterback.

Russell Wilson is the other top trade target this off-season. The former 3rd round pick would be the next best option for the Steelers. Wilson, who has been the lead guy in Seattle, seems to be annoyed with the franchise and is willing to be traded. Wilson has named some teams that he would be willing to go to. Not one of those teams were the Steelers, but that doesn’t mean they can’t get in the race or convince him to come to the Steel City. For starters the team isn’t in the NFC which is already a great start to pull the star quarterback from Seattle. They also have a “ready to win” roster which may swing Wilson to want to come to Pittsburgh. If Seattle is taking calls for Wilson, the Steelers should make one of the first calls.

Jimmy Garoppolo is another trade target for the Steelers this off-season. Garoppolo is coming off another run to the NFC title game, after defeating the number one seeded Packers and the Dallas Cowboys. It was another special run for Jimmy G, this is not his first run as he made it to the Super Bowl against the Chiefs and lost in a game where he almost won it if he made a big throw late. That is the down side of Garoppolo you hear a lot of what ifs with him and making throws. The Steelers are in a good spot to get him as well because again the Steelers are in the AFC so they are in the drivers seat for him if they make the call.

Jimmy-Garoppolo-GETTY-1361602441.jpg

NBC Sports

Jameis Winston, the former number one pick out of Florida State is a free agent option for the Steelers. The current New Orleans Saints‘ quarterback is coming off a torn ACL which cut his 2021 campaign short.

Winston has had an interesting start to his career. The former Tampa Bay Buccaneer went to the Saints last season to try and get his career back on track after a rough start as Tom Brady came and kicked him out of town. Winston has struggled with turning the ball over, which has been the main issue with the former number one pick. He has a special arm talent and can make some plays with his legs. He showed before the injury this year that he can limit the turnovers. So will the Steelers try and attract the gun slinger to Pittsburgh? Only time will tell.

NFL Draft​

Kenny Pickett is the number one quarterback coming out in the upcoming draft and the Steelers have seen plenty of him around town. Pickett led the Pitt Panthers to the ACC Championship Game, and finished the season as a Heisman Trophy finalist. He had an incredible season for the Panthers and has worked himself up the draft boards in the upcoming draft, but where will he land? A lot of people believe he goes before the Steelers have a chance at pick number 20, but does that mean the Steelers won’t move up to go get the local kid?

pickett.jpg

Malik Willis is the very talented Liberty quarterback who has made some big moves over this past weekend as he had himself a very good showing at the Senior Bowl. Willis was seen multiple times talking to Tomlin and Kevin Colbert. The multi-tool quarterback is rumored to be possibly the best quarterback in the draft, but he is a work in progress. Willis has possibly played his way out of the Steelers range with how well he played at the Senior Bowl, so again, the Steelers may have to move up for the Flames’ quarterback.

malik.jpg

NFL.com

Who do you want to see starting next season for the Steelers? Drop your thoughts below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I’m missing the hype with Willis. He’s not an especially accurate passer, has pretty rotten mechanics and footwork, but he can take off and run pretty well. I’m pretty sure the Steelers will pick him to their own detriment, and when they fail to shore up the OL and a litany of other positions in need of an upgrade, the kid will fail. I’d rather fix the major problems at other positions and roll with Rudolph or Haskins, then draft a QB next year than run to the podium to draft a kid in the first round that is by most accounts a project. And with Steelers track record in developing players of late, I have no faith Willis will get much better with the Steelers.

Oh well. It’s only the opinion of one fan. Here’s hoping free agency and the draft go well.

Mason will start with Haskins and Ridder on the bench Ridder will play in spot duty.
I would be hoping Ridder develops quickly with this scenario. No desire to see field goal Fred under center for an extended amount of time

I would be hoping Ridder develops quickly with this scenario. No desire to see field goal Fred under center for an extended amount of time
I have reserved optimism for Mason. As much as I can have for any QB until Canada proves he can run an offense.

As much as I can have for any QB until Canada proves he can run an offense.
I don’t see where anything is going to be all that much different. Whether it’s Mason, Haskins or a rookie, there’s 153221 reasons not to open the offense, if in fact we haven’t seen everything Tomlin and Canada want to run. I am pretty sure that I heard about all the motion and formations and blah blah blah that Canada brings and none of it materialized. Then it was because Ben limited the offense. Does anyone really believe any of that? Bet we see a lot of the same offense this season, regardless of who the QB is.

I’m missing the hype with Willis. He’s not an especially accurate passer, has pretty rotten mechanics and footwork, but he can take off and run pretty well. I’m pretty sure the Steelers will pick him to their own detriment, and when they fail to shore up the OL and a litany of other positions in need of an upgrade, the kid will fail. I’d rather fix the major problems at other positions and roll with Rudolph or Haskins, then draft a QB next year than run to the podium to draft a kid in the first round that is by most accounts a project. And with Steelers track record in developing players of late, I have no faith Willis will get much better with the Steelers.

Oh well. It’s only the opinion of one fan. Here’s hoping free agency and the draft go well.
I’m not big on him either. He’s a 1-read and run it guy - a trait that is very bad in my opinion. I’d rank it below accuracy & arm strength (and arm strength is not about how deep can throw it from knees BS, but the actual velocity put on the ball to get from point A to Point B).

While the 1-read and run thing is coachable — he’s not going to be ready as starter this year. Quite frankly if we’re gonna go with someone else while he learns, just as well draft QB next year when prospects are better.

None of these QBs excite me at all. But it feels like Steelers are going all in towards drafting a QB this year - and the NFL first 5 years is becoming 1 of 2 outcomes: the golden opportunity to win it all with a QB not eating up 25% of cap or a disastrous mistake that sets teams back with QB resets like Sam Darnold, Mitch Trubisky, Baker Mayfield, Marcus Mariotta, etc.

Doesn't matter. They need to address the OL/DL and get a CB.

They way it is right now won't cut it. Doesn't matter who the qb is.

It still doesn't eliminate the fatal flaw.

I don’t see where anything is going to be all that much different. Whether it’s Mason, Haskins or a rookie, there’s 153221 reasons not to open the offense, if in fact we haven’t seen everything Tomlin and Canada want to run. I am pretty sure that I heard about all the motion and formations and blah blah blah that Canada brings and none of it materialized. Then it was because Ben limited the offense. Does anyone really believe any of that? Bet we see a lot of the same offense this season, regardless of who the QB is.
I counted only 153220.

I’m not big on him either. He’s a 1-read and run it guy - a trait that is very bad in my opinion. I’d rank it below accuracy & arm strength (and arm strength is not about how deep can throw it from knees BS, but the actual velocity put on the ball to get from point A to Point B).

While the 1-read and run thing is coachable — he’s not going to be ready as starter this year. Quite frankly if we’re gonna go with someone else while he learns, just as well draft QB next year when prospects are better.

None of these QBs excite me at all. But it feels like Steelers are going all in towards drafting a QB this year - and the NFL first 5 years is becoming 1 of 2 outcomes: the golden opportunity to win it all with a QB not eating up 25% of cap or a disastrous mistake that sets teams back with QB resets like Sam Darnold, Mitch Trubisky, Baker Mayfield, Marcus Mariotta, etc.

Nice post FSF

I'm of the "why draft a project QB" boat ride. We have to big of needs for this to happen. Two years ago while they could toolage under BEN then maybe yes but we have two QBs that are already in that boat.

WAIT a year, build the "warfare trenches" then get that QB that isn't quite the project.

Salute the nation

Nice post FSF

I'm of the "why draft a project QB" boat ride. We have to big of needs for this to happen. Two years ago while they could toolage under BEN then maybe yes but we have two QBs that are already in that boat.

WAIT a year, build the "warfare trenches" then get that QB that isn't quite the project.

Salute the nation
I don’t think we’ll need to do as much as people think to get the OL at least solid.

They have the cap space to sign a quality vet or 2, and that in combination with a years experience should get a better line.

There is a reality too that teams just simply stopped any kind of 3 man rush & drop back 8 which became the norm for defending against Ben. They started bringing unrelenting pressure and it never let up cuz we couldn’t make teams pay for it. Just having a decent veteran with some elusive ability will open opportunities.

Mason just isn’t that guy. He had all of 2019 & flopped. He had a promising-ish game vs. Browns in 2020, but it was okay at best, and the Lions game was really a chance to seize the opportunity and he blew it vs. a winless team.

IMO—bring in a FA with talent that hasn’t been realized like Trubisky or Winston and use them to Tommy Maddox like bridge the gap until they can trade up for QB.

I don’t think we’ll need to do as much as people think to get the OL at least solid.

They have the cap space to sign a quality vet or 2, and that in combination with a years experience should get a better line.

There is a reality too that teams just simply stopped any kind of 3 man rush & drop back 8 which became the norm for defending against Ben. They started bringing unrelenting pressure and it never let up cuz we couldn’t make teams pay for it. Just having a decent veteran with some elusive ability will open opportunities.

Mason just isn’t that guy. He had all of 2019 & flopped. He had a promising-ish game vs. Browns in 2020, but it was okay at best, and the Lions game was really a chance to seize the opportunity and he blew it vs. a winless team.

IMO—bring in a FA with talent that hasn’t been realized like Trubisky or Winston and use them to Tommy Maddox like bridge the gap until they can trade up for QB.
That is a good point I think eventually they will need to trade up. Unless they go with what is on the roster. Don't think they will go that route they have seen what we have seen from Rudy.

That is a good point I think eventually they will need to trade up. Unless they go with what is on the roster. Don't think they will go that route they have seen what we have seen from Rudy.

I agree with both you guys. I just don't want a "project" draft QB that will take time to develope. Either he is a top pick or a vet savy proven can start VET. If we take a questionable reach project then we are set back what ever years invested to find out. YES we may get a success story but if we can't get the high quality then that is my reason to wait a year.

Definately a vet starter type can bridge the gap and I just don't want to reach (draft wise) just for the fact we need a QB.

Salute the nation

Does anyone here think that Tomlin can " develop " a qb? He hasn't done it since he became HC. He has had 4 years with Rudolph and he is no better now than when he arrived as a rookie.

This team is in trouble.

I agree with both you guys. I just don't want a "project" draft QB that will take time to develope. Either he is a top pick or a vet savy proven can start VET. If we take a questionable reach project then we are set back what ever years invested to find out. YES we may get a success story but if we can't get the high quality then that is my reason to wait a year.

Definately a vet starter type can bridge the gap and I just don't want to reach (draft wise) just for the fact we need a QB.

Salute the nation
I’ve done research and vet QBs (outside the stars like Peyton & Brady) don’t have the best track record of success.

If looking at temporary guys to fill in — 3 guys have won Super Bowl, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson

Kurt Warner was supposed to mentor Matt Leinhart only but resurrected his career

Kerry Collins & Rich Gannon got to Super Bowls in 1 offs.

Jim Harbaugh, Vinny Testeverde, Jake Plummer got teams to conference championships but that’s about it.

Can’t expect a bridge QB to do much more than be a bridge

Perhaps not, but I feel like we need enough that wasting a first round pick on a project QB is a bad idea.

If the Steelers do this right, and bring in the right QB for 2023/24, they are right back to being contenders with one (maybe) down year.

Perhaps not, but I feel like we need enough that wasting a first round pick on a project QB is a bad idea.

If the Steelers do this right, and bring in the right QB for 2023/24, they are right back to being contenders with one (maybe) down year.
Yep if they make the right decision...

FSF, what do you think of Trubisky? I think he did a decent job in Chicago and the year behind Allen in Buffalo may have helped him. Not the best situation in Chicago for him but could succeed here imo. What do you think?

FSF, what do you think of Trubisky? I think he did a decent job in Chicago and the year behind Allen in Buffalo may have helped him. Not the best situation in Chicago for him but could succeed here imo. What do you think?
I don't think Trubisky breaks the bank if signed. Low risk move as he probably wouldn't command a long term contract either. In the right situation maybe he excels.

I’d roll the dice on him and give him a chance.

I still would keep eyes open for a franchise QB… maintain there is no FA QB I think is long term answer.

Not advocating for a project QB. I want us to get a bridge guy like Maddox and build the team, then go all in.

We were immediate contenders when we got lucky to have Ben drop to #11 in 2004. But KC used effectively the same model and got Mahomes. 49ers about to try it with Trey Lance. You can really make serious Super Bowl run in the 5 years of QB rookie deal

Barring a preseason injury, the starting QB on opening day will be Mason Rudolph.