• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who Will Play Center For The Steelers in 2022?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Heading into the 2021 season, the Pittsburgh Steelers were in some unfamiliar territory. For the first time in 11 seasons, they wouldn’t have 9x Pro Bowler Maurkice Pouncey at center. Pittsburgh struggled to run the football last season and failed to get much of a push at the line of scrimmage all year. They didn’t have many options at center, but so far this off-season, Pittsburgh showed that they’re determined to find their future long-term answer at the position and also add depth along the entire offensive line.

Pittsburgh selected All-Big Ten lineman Kendrick Green in the 3rd round of the 2021 NFL Draft. Green started games at both center and guard in college at Illinois. Throughout his rookie season, Green struggled to find his footing and consistently win battles at the line of scrimmage. He was later benched due to an injury sustained in the Steelers Week 15 matchup against the Tennessee Titans. Earlier this off-season, Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin expressed the possibility of moving Green back to offensive guard and adding significant depth to the offensive line. It has been reported that Green has been working out with Pouncey this off-season and Steeler Nation is wondering, is that what Green needs to get back on track for 2022? It will be interesting to see which way the Steelers go with Green. Will he get another chance at the starting center position next season? Or will they give it to one of the new free agent signings they’ve made so far this off-season?

Kendrick Green Steelers

Kendrick Green started 15 games for Pittsburgh in 2021. | Photo via Twitter: @JSKO_PHOTO

On March 17th, the Pittsburgh announced that they had signed offensive lineman Mason Cole to a three-year contract. Cole spent is first four seasons in the NFL with the Arizona Cardinals and Minnesota Vikings. He appeared in in 60 games, starting 39 of them, and has started games in the NFL at both guard and center, while making it clear he is up for whatever role the team gives him.

“I never cared where I play, it’s about whatever I can do to help this team win and bring a Lombardi Trophy here to the City of Pittsburgh. Whatever that role is, I am here for it, and whatever they need me to do.” Signing Cole helps Pittsburgh in a huge way. It gives them a viable option at center, along with depth at offensive guard.
Steelers Mason Cole

Mason Cole starting at center for the Arizona Cardinals / Associated Press

Pittsburgh also signed 24-year old offensive lineman James Daniels to a three-year, $26.5 million contract. Daniels spent his first four years with the Chicago Bears. Like Green and Cole, Daniels also has experience at both center and guard. He is mostly known for his tremendous run blocking and his ability to win the battle at the line of scrimmage; something Pittsburgh as struggled with in years past. Like Cole, his experience at multiple positions on the offensive line only adds more versatility to both center and guard.

Steelers James Daniels

James Daniels and Mitch Trubisky / Chicago Bears

J.C. Hassenauer was re-signed by the Steelers this off-season as well. Last year, Hassenauer appeared in 13 games and started in 3 of them, including the Steelers Wild Card matchup against the Kansas City Chiefs. Hassenauer is no standout by any means, but he is the perfect stop-gap answer and could very well end up starting a few games if the other options don’t work out.

My Prediction for the Steelers in 2022:

If one thing is for certain heading into the 2022 season, it is that the Steelers have many options at center. This is a completely different postion than what they were in last offseason. The Steelers front office needs praise on the job they’ve done so far to the offensive line and the versitility on this the line is like none other in the NFL. If the season were to star today, my prediction would be on seeing Mason Cole line up at center for the Steelers. His veteran presence is what this line needs going forward. Also moving Green back to guard will be a good change for him considering that was his main position in college. As stated before, Green utilizing this offseason and working out with Pouncey could give him a tremendous comeback season in 2022.

Who do you think will be the starting center for the Steelers in 2022, #SteelerNation? Leave us your thoughts in the comment section below!

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Hopefully one of the above except for Green.

Cole prefers C, Daniels G, and Green blows chunks. Hass is a nice backup.

Easy choice for me.

Cole