• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who Will the Steelers Draft in the First Round?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have been as busy as anyone when it comes to adding talent to their roster during the first few days of free agency. Coming into the offseason, the biggest areas of need were most definitely the quarterback, offensive line, and secondary positions. After all of the moves that have been made so far by the Steelers, they can certainly hang their hat on the fact that they have improved in all three of those areas. There will be more additions coming in the next few days but as the draft nears, it brings up the question, “Where do the Steelers spend their first round draft pick?”

Before Monday, Steelers fans would have most definitely said the offensive line. But after the extension of offensive tackle Chukwuma Okorafor and the signing of former Minnesota Vikings center Mason Cole, it appears the 20th pick in the draft might be spent elsewhere than the offensive line. Steelers fans also saw the team address the middle linebacker position as they signed Myles Jack shortly after he was released by the Jacksonville Jaguars. The strong safety position may yet also be addressed during the free agency period and this opens up the likelihood that the team will utilize their first round pick on either a cornerback or a wide receiver.

The cornerback draft class for this year’s upcoming draft is deep. This is a good sign for the Steelers who don’t have a top 10 pick, but could also get their hands on an extremely talented corner later in the first round, or even take a corner on Day 2 of the draft. One of the names out there that may end up slipping to the Steelers is LSU corner Derek Stingley Jr. who had his season cut short due to a foot injury last season. He was recently cleared for LSU’s Pro Day on April 6th. Stingley is one of the most complete players in the draft class who has great size and athleticism and will certainly be a future star in the league. It would appear that Stingley will be gone before the Steelers get their pick in the draft, but if he is available, this would be a tremendous addition to the secondary.

Another more realistic option for the Steelers at pick 20 would be University of Washington corner, Trent McDuffie. McDuffie only measuring in at only 5’11”, makes up for his lack of height with this athleticism. He was also First Team All-Pac 12 who didn’t allow a single touchdown last season. McDuffie is projected by most mock drafts to go no later than the first round and he would also be an excellent addition to the secondary for the Steelers if he is still available at pick 20.

With the loss of Ray-Ray McCloud and JuJu Smith-Schuster to other teams in free agency, Steelers fans can expect the front office to add a receiver in the first two days of the draft. One name that comes to mind is Ohio State standout, Chris Olave. Olave led the Big Ten with 13 touchdowns in 2021 and was also First Team All-Conference along with Second Team All-American. Olave would provide speed and a deep ball threat that can play both inside and outside, which would be a tremendous help for new Steelers quarterback, Mitch Trubisky. He will likely be on the board when it comes to pick 20 and I would expect the Steelers to be highly interested if he is available.

Thankfully, so far in free agency the Steelers have plugged many holes and have found players that will help this team in much needed areas. Doing so has allowed them to be able to draft the best possible player available when their pick comes in the first round, which will leave all of us Steelers fans on the edge of our seats come draft day.

Who do you think the Steelers will draft in the first round, Steeler Nation? Leave a comment in the comment section below!

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

They know that, as of today, they need WR and SS. They may feel they need CB because Layne hasn't progressed and Pierre regressed. They may also desire to add depth and competition at OL. They don't even know if they will actually NEED a QB. It's going to be one of the QBs. lol

I'm of the opinion if a DT is available when their pick comes up that's the route they're taking. If not a OT. At least that's what I hope. Winning the LOS is where it all begins.

I know the game has changed but the first Super Bowl run in the 70s started with Mean Joe and the 2000s took shape when we finally got Hampton.

in every round of every draft, the Steelers have passed on a generational uniqueness.

i, for one, hope they continue to not draft Ark.

DL,WR,RT, or QB (I hope not which means it probably will happen)

So it will be either

1 Howell or Corral
2 Williams, Olave, or Wilson
3 someone falls

Hopefully a DT or an OT. We have on of the worst offensive tackle combos in the league.

With the contracts and money gone crazy you got to draft wr’s or pass rushers in the first round you can’t get married to average talent masquerading as top shelf talent we let bud, go well let johnson go, well let highsmith go… best wr or pass rusher…. Christian Watson now being mocked into first round I think Steelers all the way there 4.3 cooper kupp or the kid from u of m who got hurt on his proday we can wait on him he’s a monster but either way I trust Dan here he blows a few now n again but he knows Steeler football GoSteelers!!

With the way we treated the off-season, the correct answer is BPA that’s not RB, TE, or QB.
ANY other position should be in play.
Take the game changer.
Take the kid you can stick right in and go.
Take the kid who instantly improves the team as a whole.
……..I just pray that BPA is OT or DL.
ILB isn't far behind, though.

With the way we treated the off-season, the correct answer is BPA that’s not RB, TE, or QB.
ANY other position should be in play.
Take the game changer.
Take the kid you can stick right in and go.
Take the kid who instantly improves the team as a whole.
……..I just pray that BPA is OT or DL.
ILB isn't far behind, though.
Their BPA might be a QB. I keep hearing in my mind how Colbert didn't want to ride off into the sunset without a franchise QB in place. Are they crazy enough to invent one?

For me BPA at need should either be a T, DLman, or WR with G as the darkhorse.

Missing a 5th round pick this could be the draft if there is a suitor to trade down. If that BPA isn't there.

Their BPA might be a QB. I keep hearing in my mind how Colbert didn't want to ride off into the sunset without a franchise QB in place. Are they crazy enough to invent one?
For me BPA at need should either be a T, DLman, or WR with G as the darkhorse.
Missing a 5th round pick this could be the draft if there is a suitor to trade down. If that BPA isn't there.
Slash - this thought wakes me up in the middle of the night. Lol

With our off-season acquisitions, I think our interior OL can wait. If BPA is C or G, so be it. I won’t complain.

But sweet fancy Moses on an icicle if Colbert/Rooney think it’s one of these QBs.

After watching last years playoff games, I am still convinced we are an elite Punter away from getting back to the big game. I go best punter #20 overall.

seriously it really depends on who is still there. If Davis is somehow still there we pick him before anyone else I would hope

After watching last years playoff games, I am still convinced we are an elite Punter away from getting back to the big game. I go best punter #20 overall.

seriously it really depends on who is still there. If Davis is somehow still there we pick him before anyone else I would hope
He would be a run to the podium knock grandma out of the way type. He should be top 15.

and that is going to suck for alot of years
They can always trade up for Houston's second pick and jump in front of them for him.

I wonder how many fans would lose their **** if they traded up and it wasn't a QB.