• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why Men Get Paid More Than Women for World Cup

I believe men only play best of five in the majors and it has already been mentioned that these major tournaments are singular events that involve men, women, doubles, mixed doubles, etc.

Davis Cup as well. And the discussion was Wimbledon, if memory serves (see what I did ... never mind), which indeed has best of five for men.

:ban:

I was specifically talking about Wimbledon and what you say is not true.

In America, last year's women's final drew a 2.1 rating. The men's final drew a 1.4 rating. And again, I kind of think the ENTIRETY of the Wimbledon event is what generates revenue. Not just the men's side. Not just the women's side. Both events pretty much sell out tickets. Same for the U.S. Open in tennis as well.

I think in that sport, saying because the men play 5 sets and the women play 3 sets is kind of stupid argument for deciding one side gets less than the other. Just my opinion.

Can't really compare the US TV ratings because the US men didn't even qualify for the last world cup. You are comparing the women with team USA playing vs the men's game with 2 random teams.

I wonder what the ratings were for women's world cup games not involving team USA.

In terms of what the U.S. pays the teams, there really is no reason to not pay them the same. You figure they should have the same resources in the development and training for the national teams and both teams should be compensated the same. I don't remember how up to date the numbers were, but there were some inexcusable pay disparities in things like promotional appearances and meals. But when it comes down to it, I can't see any reason the US soccer committee, or whatever its called, can't pay the same for both teams. Now when it comes to prize money involved in each World Cup, I can see differences involved there.

I believe men only play best of five in the majors and it has already been mentioned that these major tournaments are singular events that involve men, women, doubles, mixed doubles, etc.

It's like wondering why a university allocates more funds to football than field hockey. Why Nick Saban get paid more than the Alabama women's basketball coach and the wrestling coach (if Bama has wrestling) combined.

You can't separate the prize money from the salaries. That is what the pay is based upon. It's kind of like the NFL salary cap. The cap is based on total revenues and the players get a %.

I'd be interested to know what % other nations pay their women's teams. It's reported team USA gets 13%. What does Brazil pay their women?

I'm also unclear on what the percentages actually mean. When they say women get 13%, does that mean that FIFA puts 13% of their total revenues into a pot and then that gets divided evenly among the participating teams? Or does it means that FIFA gives each country a cut of the money, and then USA gives their women 13% of that.

Another reason why men's soccer player have to get paid more is because there are highly paid men's professional leagues. Meaning, you have to pay them to make it worth their while to even participate.

The larger issue is that only in mens professional sports with a salary cap tied to gross/net revenues do the athletes get compensated based on revenue. College sports, women's sports, non-major sports all have compensation schemes unrelated to top line revenues

Sent from my SM-N950W using Steeler Nation mobile app

The larger issue is that only in mens professional sports with a salary cap tied to gross/net revenues do the athletes get compensated based on revenue. College sports, women's sports, non-major sports all have compensation schemes unrelated to top line revenues

Everybody gets paid based on revenues one way or another. It may not be as direct as a salary cap or like the world cup giving a % of revenues to players, but no matter if you're an NFL player or a McDonalds employee, your pay is based on revenues.

Why does a waiter at a 5 star restaurant get paid more than a waiter at Denny's? It's because the 5 star restaurant makes more money and they make that money by having the highest quality employees giving the best service. That means paying higher wages to chefs and even waiters who are really sales people in a restaurant.

If your examples of college sports, women's sports, etc are tied to revenues as well. A school like Penn State has way more sports than a school like Bowling Green. Why? Because Penn State generates more revenues so they can afford to have more teams. Penn State has, I believe, every women's college sport there is. They even have Women's Ice Hockey. Most colleges don't even have a men's ice hockey team.

Everybody gets paid based on revenues one way or another. It may not be as direct as a salary cap or like the world cup giving a % of revenues to players, but no matter if you're an NFL player or a McDonalds employee, your pay is based on revenues.

Why does a waiter at a 5 star restaurant get paid more than a waiter at Denny's? It's because the 5 star restaurant makes more money and they make that money by having the highest quality employees giving the best service. That means paying higher wages to chefs and even waiters who are really sales people in a restaurant.

If your examples of college sports, women's sports, etc are tied to revenues as well. A school like Penn State has way more sports than a school like Bowling Green. Why? Because Penn State generates more revenues so they can afford to have more teams. Penn State has, I believe, every women's college sport there is. They even have Women's Ice Hockey. Most colleges don't even have a men's ice hockey team.
What I mean to say is that only top 4/5 sports offer visibility to link between revenues/pay thru salary floor/cap system.

All others, including college athletes, are part of more traditional "corporate" structure where individual or even team pay does not have straight line relevance to revenues. Major US college sports provide the best example of the revenue value created thru their efforts without a concomitant value to the athletes via compensation. Perks and other non traditional types of compensation are attempts to correct this inequity.

So Penn State football players are under compensated to support a womens hockey program that no one wants. This re-distribution of revenue does not accrue to the benefit of those who did the work. The womens hockey team that you used as an example gets paid out of football revenues, right?

Yeah, but it's not like a club team of boys 15-and-under could beat the greatest women's soccer team ever assembled ...

Yeah but the greatest womens soccer team ever assembled would be one consisting of all trans females. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

What I mean to say is that only top 4/5 sports offer visibility to link between revenues/pay thru salary floor/cap system.

All others, including college athletes, are part of more traditional "corporate" structure where individual or even team pay does not have straight line relevance to revenues. Major US college sports provide the best example of the revenue value created thru their efforts without a concomitant value to the athletes via compensation. Perks and other non traditional types of compensation are attempts to correct this inequity.

So Penn State football players are under compensated to support a womens hockey program that no one wants. This re-distribution of revenue does not accrue to the benefit of those who did the work. The womens hockey team that you used as an example gets paid out of football revenues, right?

College is kind of a tough example because the players don't actually get paid.

And they should not get paid. Whenever this subject comes up, people just set aside that players do get free tuition, room and board, food, swag, special tutors, they get their laundry done for them. With college tuition rising so fast and so many students drowning in debt, it's funny to me how all that gets pushed aside for athletes, as if they get nothing at all of value for their "work ".

Revenues from football does indirectly support hockey, but it also supports a new computer lab. The university decides where the funds go and at many universities, it’s going to pay salaries of bloated academic bureaucracy where they keep hiring more and more highly paid administrators.

The main point I’m making is that the size of the pie always factors in. Those demanding equal pay for women’s soccer just want to ignore that huge factor.

The whole point of Title IX is that revenue is not the driving factor of college athletic departments. That they HAVE to provide some semblance of women athletics at their schools even if they don't make enough revenue to support it.

Do I agree it has to be EXACTLY the same 1:1 dollars? Probably not, but I'm glad colleges offer women athletic choices. I think if you believe that college athletics benefit somehow the university (other than just for money) then that make sense. Believe me, I know some people that believe colleges shouldn't have ANY athletic programs. That its completely superfluous to education. That the whole concept of college athletics isn't there to enrich anyone but the universities pockets via revenue and increased alumni support/fandom.

We've had the college debate ad naseum. Its very complex.

I still think for National-level sports. Sports where you wear the U.S. flag and represent your country. Men and women should be paid the same (if any payment is part of it at all).

In professional sports, with private ownership and (ideally) free market revenue streams, players (men, women, black, white, red, transgender, steroids, no steroids, MMA, gladiator fights, etc.). Payment to players should be COMPLETELY tied to revenue generated and collective bargaining agreements.

Great that the U.S. team supports and protects all views.

Or maybe not.

The celebration continued Wednesday for the U.S. women’s soccer team after its historic Women’s World Cup title, even as questions resurfaced about why one of the best players in the nation wasn’t there.

Jaelene Hinkle, a 26-year-old star for the North Carolina Courage professional team, has been called the top left defender in the U.S. game, but she wasn’t selected for the national team — a decision that may have had more to do with politics than prowess.

In 2017, Hinkle turned down a call-up from the national team for a pair of international friendlies after learning that the players would wear rainbow-themed jerseys in honor of Gay Pride Month. She said later that the uniform conflicted with her Christian faith.

“I just felt so convicted in my spirit that it wasn’t my job to wear this jersey,” she told “The 700 Club” in a May 2018 interview. “I gave myself three days to just seek and pray and determine what [God] was asking me to do in this situation.”

Hinkle has not played for the national team since. After she was left off the World Cup roster, coach Jill Ellis told reporters that the decision was “solely based on soccer,” an explanation greeted with widespread skepticism.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jul/10/jaelene-hinkles-world-cup-snub-sparks-debate/

Imagine if she turned down the friendlies due to her Muslim faith ...

Christians. Can't live with 'em, so just kill 'em.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/megan...ual-pay-for-womens-players-come-to-some-games

U.S. women's soccer star Megan Rapinoe had some simple advice for fans who are loudly advocating for the women's national team to be paid as much as the men's team: spend some money on the sport.

Rapinoe, during an interview with MSNBC's Rachel Maddow, said fans need to advocate with their dollars if they want equal pay for the women's players.

"Fans can come to games," Rapinoe replied when Maddow asked what fans can do to support the equal pay fight. "Obviously national team games would be a hot ticket. But we have nine teams in the NWSL. You can go to your league games. You can support that way. You can buy players' jerseys, you can lend your support in that way. You can tell your friends about it, you can become season ticket holders. I think in terms of that, that's the easiest way for fans to get involved."

Rapinoe's answer could be seen as an acknowledgment that lower pay for women's soccer players is not simply caused by a desire by the powers-that-be for women to make less money; rather, the amount players get paid is based on the amount of revenue generated by the sport.

The very act of comparing revenues and pay structures between the men's and women's teams is quite complicated. The two teams have different collective bargaining agreements, play different numbers of games, and the men's team team only earns bonuses while the women's team has a base salary-plus-bonus structure.

Variables aside, Rapinoe believes the debate is clear-cut.

"If you're not down with equal pay at this point...you're so far out of reality and the conversation that we can't even go there," Rapinoe told Maddow.

"If you're not down with equal pay at this point...you're so far out of reality and the conversation that we can't even go there," Rapinoe told Maddow.

Awesome. Queen Rapinoe has deemed that we no longer engage in this stupid conversation, and for once, I agree with her. Xe. Xing. Bing. Bang. Boom.

Well well well, turns out new court filings show that women soccer players actually made more money than the men

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_lWu4Z0WeeY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>