• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why the Steelers Should be Excited about Kenny Pickett

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
With the 20th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers have selected hometown kid, Kenny Pickett. I certainly wish him the best. I hope he develops into a fine starting quarterback and has a long career. He was not my first choice, but I am not the General Manager. Kevin Colbert is, and he has picked the new direction for the franchise going out the door. I have to wonder if Colbert and the Steelers felt pressure from fans and local media with tales of how not selecting Dan Marino was the biggest mistake in Steelers’ history. I don’t agree with that perspective, cutting Johnny Unitas was the biggest blunder, but I digress.

Kenny Pickett Steelers

Steelers NFL Draft Prospect QB Kenny Pickett from Pitt Photo via Twitter.com/ JSKO_PHOTO

Pickett was the most pro ready quarterback in the class, I do agree with that. It is why Mike Tomlin’s fingerprints are on this pick whether he likes it or not. He has said multiple times he is not interested in rebuilding, and the Steelers followed the Mac Jones-Patriots model by selecting a high floor, low ceiling quarterback. Pickett is athletic enough to run RPO’s, but he is not an RPO creation like Matt Corral. Trubisky can still give Matt Canada’s offense a fair look, but if they struggle, he should be able to transition to other styles of offense in the future. The Steelers are going to need to demonstrate a skill they have been short on for my entire lifetime — developing a quarterback.

Steelers Notorious History on Evaluating Quarterbacks

Ben Roethlisberger did benefit from Bruce Arians and Todd Haley tweaking his play recognition, but he played like a backyard warrior until he could not, then he became the quickest throwing quarterback in the NFL. He called his own plays the 2nd half of his career and to his credit or detriment depending on how you view it, Roethlisberger was his own man and played that way.

The spotlight is now shining brightly on David Corley. He has a huge opportunity to make a mark on the league with a chance to develop Pickett. I think Mike Sullivan will be concentrated on Mitch Trubisky and RPO’s. I really liked everything I watched and read on Corley when researching him for a recent article and I am encouraged by his ability and hope he makes a huge impact with Pickett.

The first thing they have to work on is ball security. Pickett is a good passer and reads defenses well, I don’t think that will be his issue. He fumbles too much; Pickett needs to develop a 6th sense and protect the ball with two hands. He cannot hang onto the ball in the pocket if he tries to extend plays, he will need to scramble, or throw the ball away to avoid sacks. It is a skill that can be learned, and his strength is anticipation. If he develops into a quick release pocket passer, and play-action passes for deep shots, this can work.

pickett-1024x658.webp

Photo / USA Today

I have never and will never root against a Steeler being successful. But I am not myopic, I have lived through two decades of subpar quarterback play once before. I am not saying Pickett is subpar, but with the New England Patriots with the very next pick trading back to acquire both Kansas City Chiefs first round picks, I am wondering why the Steelers couldn’t have done the same? If Pickett went as the Steelers 2nd pick of the first round, I would feel a lot better about it.

As the vow says for better or worse…

Here is hoping it is for the better! Welcome to Pittsburgh Kenny Pickett, here we go!

What do you think, Steeler Nation? Please comment below or hit me up on Twitter @thebubbasq

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

They only got one Chiefs first round pick (29) not both. The Chiefs took McDuffie at 21 and Karlaftis at 30

Patriots traded back to 29, had we done the same Pickett wouldn't have lasted that long, someone would've traded into the first round and jumped ahead of us to grab him.