• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

WHY U worry,............ be happy...........

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We have the "legendary" Matt O'Canada as our OC. The article talks about his TD percentage in the red zone and brings it forward to training camp 7-shots % wins (not many).

ANYONE else a little concerned about the college turned PRO offensive OC ?

I hope and pray he has his 3rd year step up and pull his panties up season. I'd like to eat CROW on this one............. BBQ'd.

Salute the nation

If the fans see it, the talking heads see it, the players have to realize canada is ****??
Keeping a guy like that can ruin trust, morale, confidence in the locker room very quickly. Blows my mind the owners and front office and coach Tomlin kept this bum.

I've made it known that I'm a huge Matt Canada fan and love his offense, but I'm also a HUGE college football fan. I'd like to see what adjustments he's made (hopefully he has made some to adapt it to the NFL) and if not, it'll be more of the same with the man waiting in the wings to take over, Glenn Thomas. He runs a read-option, short passing route tree scheme with a lot of screens.

Why not a Bieniemy type coach or 2 on the offensive and defensive side of the ball? Guys who played in the NFL? In the past we had Lake, Peezy, Lebeau. We have any coaches with NFL experience? I know...Tomlin never played Pro ball and has done okay.... Would still be nice to have a guy or 2 that played at the highest level. Imagine Canaduh trying to get someone like Allen Robinson to buy into his crappy offense.

Why not a Bieniemy type coach or 2 on the offensive and defensive side of the ball? Guys who played in the NFL? In the past we had Lake, Peezy, Lebeau. We have any coaches with NFL experience? I know...Tomlin never played Pro ball and has done okay.... Would still be nice to have a guy or 2 that played at the highest level. Imagine Canaduh trying to get someone like Allen Robinson to buy into his crappy offense.
Seems Coach Tomlin doesn’t want anyone with real pedigree, might actually outshine Him.

There is NO logical reason, as soon as that HOF Quarterback stepped onto the field and wasn’t allowed to audible,………………….. Matt should have been fired right on the spot.

Instead we’ve gotten two “learning curve” seasons and about to enter our 3rd.

Salute the nation

I can see him getting fired by mid season if the offense is juvenile again.

For some in-known reason, I doubt they will fire him regardless.

Salute the nation

I dont think Canada's offensive play calling is not going to matter all that much this season...

I get the strange feeling we are going to pound the snot of the pigskin this year!

Last edited:
For the love...it's 7 shots! Training camp practice. What, the 2nd one in pads? I'm no Matt Canada fan, but c'mon. The problem is the analysis of every damn play...in training camp! Not even a preseason game or scrimmage of some kund. I feel like Allen Iverson or something...it's just practice, man. But it is!

I dont think Canada's offensive play calling is not going to matter all that much this season...

I get the strange feeling we are going to pound the snot of the pigskin this year!

I'm with you!
I received a sign today! True story!
Didn't think to get my cell phone, but I just happened to glance out the kitchen window at the birdbath in the back yard, and on it was perched a bird I don't ever call seeing here.

I Googled "black and yellow bird". I was corrected so to speak.
It was an American Goldfinch, a black and GOLD bird.
This is a good omen man!
1800.jpg

So I thought I'd make use of my cutting-edge Microsoft Paint app.

306710541-1280px.jpg

Last edited:
For the love...it's 7 shots! Training camp practice. What, the 2nd one in pads? I'm no Matt Canada fan, but c'mon. The problem is the analysis of every damn play...in training camp! Not even a preseason game or scrimmage of some kund. I feel like Allen Iverson or something...it's just practice, man. But it is!
This is true. But if you don't have a bit of a sinking feeling in your gut about a third year of this guy........I simply cannot imagine another team bringing him back.

This is true. But if you don't have a bit of a sinking feeling in your gut about a third year of this guy........I simply cannot imagine another team bringing him back.
Yeah, I agree. Like I said, I'm no fan of Matt Canada. I'm hoping the Steelers have enough offensive talent to overcome the coaching. Even if the play calls are bad one would think if these guys are really good, well they can't cover everybody.

Yeah, I agree. Like I said, I'm no fan of Matt Canada. I'm hoping the Steelers have enough offensive talent to overcome the coaching. Even if the play calls are bad one would think if these guys are really good, well they can't cover everybody.
Coaching is the 5 percent difference. I agree. But that 5 percent difference really comes into play in a close playoff team and certainly a playoff game where most things are equal.

Coaching is the 5 percent difference. I agree. But that 5 percent difference really comes into play in a close playoff team and certainly a playoff game where most things are equal.
In the playoffs you damn sure better be able to pass over the middle efficiently. Otherwise it will be a quick exit stage left

Canada was a bad hire from the start. His college career is vastly overrated as well. With that said, Tomlin’s offensive philosophy right now holds this group back just as much as the OC.

In the playoffs you damn sure better be able to pass over the middle efficiently. Otherwise it will be a quick exit stage left
Remember when Kenny P. Stroked the fastball over the middle to Pickens against the Raiders. It was like a trick play. I basically yell at the TV all game.....get the ball to the back in space and throw the damn post. Every game.

Hard to win CHAMPIUONSHIPs inspire of Coaching……………

Salute the nation

I wish they could just figue out. Tomlin is a good leader and motivator. He needs top talent coordinators and position guys.
I think objectively most people would say Flores would be a more effective DC than Austin. And I don't take loyalty lightly. However, you could have promoted Flores to DC given Austin choice of Flores job or walking with his salary. The whole thing would have probably costed less than 5 million over three years all together. Doubtful Flores gets an HC job because of his pending lawsuit and you have your best DC since Lebeau.

Last edited:
Hard to win CHAMPIUONSHIPs inspire of Coaching……………

Salute the nation
See, I believe that happens more than we think at this level. I am not saying coaching isn't important...it is. But I think we also overstate it to some degree. It is the talent on the field playing to their abilities that is gonna make you. For example, we have seen what just a little of what Pickens may be capable of. He may actually be right that if he can do some of those things consistently...he is always open. Just throw the damn thing. Where is the coaching in that?

I wish they could just figue out. Tomlin is a good leader and motivator. He needs top talent coordinators and position guys.
I think objectively most people would say Flores would be a more effective DC than Austin. And I don't take loyalty lightly. However, you could have promoted Flores to DC given Austin choice of Flores job or walking with his salary. The whole thing would have probably costed less than 5 million over three years all together. Doubtful Flores gets an HC job because of his pending lawsuit and you have your best DC since Lebeau.
Not trying to be argumentative, but do you? Or does he get by on the Belechick reputation, like a lot of his other coaches who got hired and don't do much. I don't know. We just don't know really what he contributed last year one way or the other. Maybe he was very instrumental, but we really don't know.

Not trying to be argumentative, but do you? Or does he get by on the Belechick reputation, like a lot of his other coaches who got hired and don't do much. I don't know. We just don't know really what he contributed last year one way or the other. Maybe he was very instrumental, but we really don't know.
I know there is a lot going around about Belichik. I'm sure many questioned Noll after the 70s era players were finished and that was pretty close to a decade off futility. Belichik could coach x and o circles around Tomlin. He built multiple championship teams around Brady. But Tomlin is a better leader of men as per the many many players who want to play for him. I've been vocal about my concerns about Tomlin and my hope they would move on. But if they get back to prominence this year so quickly after Ben leaves, Tomlin is going to coach this team as long as he wants (probably will anyhow) and is destined for his own gold Jacket presentation.

I know there is a lot going around about regardless Belichik. I'm sure many questioned Noll after the 70s era players were finished and that was pretty close to a decade off futility. Belichik could coach x and o circles around Tomlin. He built multiple championship teams around Brady. But Tomlin is a better leader of men as per the many many players who want to play for him. I've been vocal about my concerns about Tomlin and my hope they would move on. But if they get back to prominence this year so quickly after Ben leaves, Tomlin is going to coach this team as long as he wants (probably will anyhow) and is destined for his own gold Jacket presentation.
I think regardless they give him a gold jacket. Probably a matter of when not if.

I agree about Flores. I thought he did a lot previously with little.

Definitely agree on the coordinators are needed to push this team where it desires to go. Not sure they have that.