• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Will The Steelers Have Any Receivers Left to Select on Day 2? Still 4 Great Ones Left

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers opted to go with quarterback Kenny Pickett last night instead of adding youth and talent elsewhere on the roster. Whether that was the right decision or not time will tell. But from here on out the Steelers need to start filling out their roster, and that starts at pick 52 in the second round. Thats where they need to hope a receiver that they love is still available.

Last night was a historic night for wide receivers. Six were taken in the first round starting with USC’s Drake London when the Atlanta Falcons picked him at #8. After that it was on with 5 more being selected by pick #18. The Tennessee Titans, and Baltimore Ravens both traded receivers that were set to enter their final years of their rookie contracts. AJ Brown was shipped to the Philadelphia Eagles, and Hollywood Brown was sent to Arizona. The Ravens and Cardinals both fetched a first-round pick from last night in return for the veteran receivers. AJ Brown was quickly rewarded with a new 100-million-dollar contract by the Eagles.

With the price of receiver’s sky rocketing teams will be searching high and low throughout the draft for the next great receiver. Teams will be valuing receivers on their rookie contracts way more than they had in the past. That brings us to the Steelers who still have a huge hole of uncertainty behind starters Chase Claypool, and Diontae Johnson. And not to mention Johnson is entering the final year of his rookie contract. So, it’s going to either be time to let him walk next year or pay him.

So, who is left after night one? Actually plenty because of this deep receiver class.

Christian Watson – The 6’4 208-pound Watson brings size and speed to the table as he ran a 4.36 40-yard dash at pre-draft workouts.

Steelers Could Pick Watson

Our Bob Quinn had this to say about Watson leading up to the draft:

Watson improved every year at North Dakota State as a route runner. He has elite size and speed, but needs to continue to improve that skill, which is why he likely will be between the 4th and 6th wide receiver taken in the upcoming draft. Garrett Wilson, Drake London, Chris Olave, and Jameson Williams are all big school, high end commodities and all have their individual strengths, but they do not have Christian Watson’s size and speed. It’s a rare combination that few have translated into long term NFL greatness. You may have heard of the 6 foot 4 inch small school phenom Randy Moss and the 6 foot 5 inch Calvin Johnson who came from the run first Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. It may be a little unfair to compare him to two of the greatest weapons the NFL has ever seen, but he is faster than Megatron and Moss also translated small school success to the NFL. However, if he ended up being Martavis Bryant or Plaxico Burress without the baggage while he plays in Pittsburgh, that would be a rare find indeed and a productive use of a first-round draft pick.

Skyy Moore – The selection of Moore would continue the Steelers hometown love from round one. Moore is a Pittsburgh native playing high school football at the Shady Side Academy. Moore played college football at Western Michigan which resides in the MAC. We all know how the Steelers love their MAC receivers.

Our Ben Michaelian had this to say about Moore leading up to the draft:

I like Moore. Watching his tape from college, I immediately think of Hines Ward. For reference, Ward measured about 6’0” and 195 pounds at the NFL combine in 1998; almost identical to where Moore currently sits. We’ve seen a large influx of “undersized-but-reliable” players in the NFL the past several years with the likes of Wes Welker, Hunter Renfrow, Rondale Moore, Cooper Kupp, and Jamison Crowder and Moore could easily find himself in that same category. For the Steelers, there’s a constant demand for sure-handed slot receivers and Moore would fit seamlessly into the offense. Just like last year with Pat Freiermuth, don’t be surprised if the Steelers stretch for Moore with their 2nd selection. Should Smith-Schuster depart from Pittsburgh in free agency, Moore would be a great plug-and-play for the 2022 offense. Plus, we are all familiar with how much the Steelers appreciate the talent level of the MAC.

John Metchie III – Metchie was a stud at Alabama in 2021 hauling in 96 receptions for 1142 yards before eventually tearing his ACL in the SEC Conference Championship game. Had he not torn his ACL he likely would’ve been one of the top receivers off the board.

As a projected third-round selection, I like Metchie III for the Steelers, but no sooner. The Steelers have made it clear they are not cutting any corners in their pre-draft research and that applies to the receiver position as well. I still consider receiver to be a high priority position for the Steelers and expect this to be addressed within the first two days of the draft. Sure, Metchie III is a bit of a risky pick for a third-rounder, especially because the Steelers use their earlier picks on prospects who they think could start in September. Metchie III is a boom or bust prospect, but if the Steelers decide to go with him, I’d lean on the ‘boom’ over ‘bust’ potential given their track record.

George Pickens – Mike Tomlin was seen cutting it up with Pickens at the Georgia Pro Day in March. New Steelers receiver coach Frisman Jackson ran the receiver drills that day for Pickens. They’re very familiar with him, and he may be the only one of this bunch left when the Steelers come onto the clock in the second round.

George-Pickens-1024x538.jpeg

Tomlin looked to like what he saw in Pickens at the Georgia Pro Day, and I don’t blame him. Pickens ran smooth routes, showed he can catch the ball in stride, and proved he could be a day-one starter. Not to mention, the Steelers are one of the best at drafting wide receivers, so if they are high on a prospect, we should be too. But here is where things get interesting; with Pickens being an outside receiver and most likely lined up as the X receiver, this doesn’t really align with what the Steelers need in the earlier rounds. Unless they plan on moving either Diontae Johnson or Chase Claypool to the slot, the Steelers don’t necessarily need an outside receiver as much as they need more of a true slot receiver, such as a Smith-Schuster/McCloud replacement inside. I’m not saying Pickens isn’t a great receiver, but if I’m the Steelers at either 20th or 52nd overall, I’d be looking at someone who can also line up inside.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

There are more WR that will be available later as well. One intriguing small school guy, that could be a 6th rounder to undrafted, Tanner Conner. 6'3" 236lbs, ran a 4.37 40. So he isn't busy s big body. Bo Melton another late round guy, speed for days.

I'll say it again - George Pickens...

I think we actually need two WRs, George being one and a later round "slot" type WR.

Salute the nation

One thing I have no cause for concern is their ability to find talent at the WR position, no matter the round.

One thing I have no cause for concern is their ability to find talent at the WR position, no matter the round.

A lot of confidence there but BEN and a little AB made most average wide receivers look all pro.

Salute the nation

Well damn! Can we merge and get one player with Bryant’s athleticism and Wards heart and competitiveness?🤣
Christian Watson might be the closest you can get to that combo, more Bryant than Ward tho.

I'd be really happy with Moore and elated with Pickens. Pickett to Pickens, I mean c'mon, match made in heaven. Thinking Moore might be the better slot WR though.

Give me another Hines Ward over any receiver we've had in the past 10 years - always go with a guy they had to change the rules for.

Pickens is the new X, they can move DJ to the slot where he belongs.

It's not about 'being common. It's about mismatches. You seems smarter than that...
If it was about mismatches, NFL teams would already be doing it. 6'4" guys don't play in the slot because the mismatches they create are mostly on the outside and down the field. They put 5'9" guys like Ray Ray in the slot for reasons you should be able to understand.