• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Will The Steelers Have Any Receivers Left to Select on Day 2? Still 4 Great Ones Left

If it was about mismatches, NFL teams would already be doing it. 6'4" guys don't play in the slot because the mismatches they create are mostly on the outside and down the field. They put 5'9" guys like Ray Ray in the slot for reasons you should be able to understand.
So...Madden NFL Football has come a loooooong way...

Just a suggestion - buy/rent a copy and play w/ our beloved Steelers (I've been doing it since '89). Chase in the slot is a NIGHTMARE for my opponents. Why? Because he's too big and fast for nickle backs, ILB's or a safety to cover.

In real life, do you remember his rookie season when he was asked to run jet sweeps??? 11 TDs when he's moved around. He can play outside but inside is where he's a monster.

Now let's drop this pissing contest and get ready for Day 3 - four more picks!!!

Last edited:
So...Madden NFL Football has come a loooooong way...

Just a suggestion - buy/rent a copy and play w/ our beloved Steelers (I've been doing it since '89). Chase in the slot is a NIGHTMARE for my opponents. Why? Because he's too big and fast for nickle backs, ILB's or a safety to cover.

In real life, do you remember his rookie season when he was asked to run jet sweeps??? 11 TDs when he's moved around. He can play outside but inside is where he's a monster.

Now let's drop this pissing contest and get ready for Day 3 - four more picks!!!
You're basing who should play in the slot on a f*cking video game? You've got to be kidding me. LOL.

Hate to burst your bubble, but in real life, they put JuJu and Ray Ray in the slot the overwhelming majority of the time.

You're basing who should play in the slot on a f*cking video game? You've got to be kidding me. LOL.

Hate to burst your bubble, but in real life, they put JuJu and Ray Ray in the slot the overwhelming majority of the time.
Claypool played a lot of slot in college and looked quite good when given the opportunity there for the Steelers last year.

Claypool played a lot of slot in college and looked quite good when given the opportunity there for the Steelers last year.

Yeah I'm not sure why height seems to be the determining factor here as far as people being against it.

The NFL isn't college. And when did Claypool look quite good in the slot last year? What game? Enlighten me. I guess he looked so good that the Steelers decided they'd be better off with their 5th-string receiver and return man playing the position instead.
Yeah I'm not sure why height seems to be the determining factor here as far as people being against it.
I'm sure you can provide me with a lengthy list of NFL receivers 6'4" or taller who have played regularly in the slot over the last five years, then. Or ten years. Or twenty. Or forever.

You're a square peg "jam it in a circle" type of guy. Got it...

You're a square peg "jam it in a circle" type of guy. Got it...
That makes even less sense than anything else you've said in this thread. Which is saying something.

Really good call, DIC. I believe Mr. Austin III is that slot guy.

From what I've been reading I think you are right, if given the chance.

It will be a different season because we were well versed in BENs way of playing but now we have to see how the "new" QB plays and his progression of reads.

Austin has the tools, maybe not the size for this league but we will find out.

Salute the nation

From what I've been reading I think you are right, if given the chance.

It will be a different season because we were well versed in BENs way of playing but now we have to see how the "new" QB plays and his progression of reads.

Austin has the tools, maybe not the size for this league but we will find out.

Salute the nation
He doesn't have ideal size but his toughness, speed, and production give him a fighting chance to stick. That and not having Action Jackson throw to him might have saved his career.

I think Austin III does well from slot because CB's will be unable to get a clean shot at disrupting his route. His speed means that a slot corner has to give ground right away to avoid getting cooked, so Austin gets the clean release and can put his solid route-running to use.