• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Win For Italy

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
https://www.thelocal.it/20170516/immigration-sikhs-religious-knives-kirpan-italy-court

Italy's top court rules Sikhs can't carry religious knives

Italy's Court of Cassation ruled on Monday that a Sikh man was not allowed to carry a knife considered sacred by his religion in public.
Migrants have a duty to conform to local values in the society they choose to move to, the court said, even if those values are different from in their home country.

The kirpan, a small knife or sword, is one of five religious articles many Sikhs carry with them at all times.

But the legality of carrying the curved knife in public has been debated in several countries where Sikhs are a minority.

Denmark became the world's first country to explicitly ban them in 2006, while bans in Belgium and the United Kingdom have been overturned due to the knife's status as a religious symbol.

The Italian judges on Monday rejected the appeal of a Sikh who had been fined €2,000 in 2015 for carrying an 18cm-long kirpan in Goito, a town in Lombardy. He argued that the ban was unfair as the kirpan was a religious symbol rather than a weapon, but the court upheld the original sentence.

"Attachment to values which violate the laws of the host country is intolerable, even if they are lawful in the country of origin," the court said, adding that "public safety is an asset to be protected".

"Multi-ethnic society is a necessity, but co-existence among different people requires the identification of a common nucleus, which immigrants and host societies must recognize."

Sikhs are not terrorists. They have an excellent religion of peace and understanding. I played football with a team of Sikhs in college after I played against them in the basketball finals. FYI, Sikh college parties are the best. You go to a college party, you get alcohol, beer, maybe some snacks. Pizza if you're really lucky.

Sikhs not only have the alcohol, but they have a 7 course spread. It's like Indian Thanksgiving when you party with those guys. They are very proud of their food and take food preparation, and presentation, very seriously!!

They carry their kirpans proudly. I've never felt threatened or uneasy around a sikh. The same goes for hanging out with people who open carry. They are usually the most responsible people on the planet with their weapons.

Maybe true but I like the idea that Italy isn't going to make an exception or change existing law to accommodate a specific religion that is moving into their country.
If you catch my drift.
Further, I think either nobody can carry weapons or everybody can carry weapons. Number one, a lot of Muslims will claim they're Sikhs so they can carry knives and kill people. Number two, if Italy issues concealed carry permits to anyone who wants one, then I'm okay with Sikhs carrying knives. The ol' slippery slope thing.

Maybe true but I like the idea that Italy isn't going to make an exception or change existing law to accommodate a specific religion that is moving into their country.
If you catch my drift.
Further, I think either nobody can carry weapons or everybody can carry weapons. Number one, a lot of Muslims will claim they're Sikhs so they can carry knives and kill people. Number two, if Italy issues concealed carry permits to anyone who wants one, then I'm okay with Sikhs carrying knives. The ol' slippery slope thing.

Hate to put you on the spot Ron, but it is very easy to identify a Sikh in public, and it ain't the knife. Do you know what it is?

Muslims would never do that because it would be an affront to their religion, and because they are already blending in by not wearing traditional dress, cutting their hair and shaving. Muslims pretending to be Sikh has never happened anywhere world wide, and it won't start happening now, because it would instantly be identified.

Should we change laws to allow full burkas everywhere? Potentially I could get away with robbing a lot of banks wearing a burka.

Should we change laws to allow full burkas everywhere? Potentially I could get away with robbing a lot of banks wearing a burka.

Sikhs don't wear burkas, they wear pointed turbans and don't ever cut their hair or beards. Women are treated as equal to men, and Sikhs do not associate with people or religions that feel women are inferior.

I understand your point, but it's not the argument of wearing a knife/ carrying a weapon, which we were discussing. I support concealed carry, and I support Sikhs wearing ceremonial knives.

There's an incorrect assumption that Sikhs are Muslims. They are as far as you can get from being Muslim.

My point is that making exceptions in your laws for religions is a slippery slope and not a good idea. Much of Europe is too weak and appeasing the Muslims already. At least Italy set a good precedent here. Otherwise pretty soon it will be legal for Muslims to stone and behead people in Europe.

Be advised that the Quoran says it's okay for Muslims to lie and pretend they're not Muslim in order to further the cause of jihad. It would be perfectly fine under Muslim law to dress up like a Sikh and slaughter people with a knife on the Rome subway.

Last edited:
My point is that making exceptions in your laws for religions is a slippery slope and not a good idea. Much of Europe is too weak and appeasing the Muslims already. At least Italy set a good precedent here. Otherwise pretty soon it will be legal for Muslims to stone and behead people in Europe.

Be advised that the Quoran says it's okay for Muslims to lie and pretend they're not Muslim in order to further the cause of jihad. It would be perfectly fine under Muslim law to dress up like a Sikh and slaughter people with a knife on the Rome subway.

Taqiya

Remember Mo started his "religion" to get the Arab people behind his idea of war for the purpose of pillage.

These are valid points. I would rather have a Muslim try to come after me with a ceremonial blade, as opposed to coming after me with bombs or guns. I understand the reasoning of the rule, it's just a little personal for me because the Sikhs are such a great group of people.

These are valid points. I would rather have a Muslim try to come after me with a ceremonial blade, as opposed to coming after me with bombs or guns. I understand the reasoning of the rule, it's just a little personal for me because the Sikhs are such a great group of people.

Sikh and you shall find.

There's an incorrect assumption that Sikhs are Muslims. They are as far as you can get from being Muslim.

Sadly a couple have been murdered in retaliation for Muslim terrorist attacks, One shot in his own front yard.

In my line of work I run across, not necessarily Sikhs, but many Indians, and I find them to be the most polite, respectful people I have ever met. Both men an women behave in exactly the same way.

Hide and go Sikh.

And the news media headline coverage on this was " Bidens comments on Indians ruffles feathers" or "Biden explains Indian gaffe"

"Ruffles feathers"? "Gaffe"?

Imagine Trump or Bush uttering the same remark..."Indians express outrage over Bush racist remark"

The tone when reporting wrongdoing by a democRAT is far different from wrongdoing by a Republican.

The tone when its a Repulican...."How dare you, you racist pig".
The tone to a DemocRAT...What happened? Surely you didn't mean it..

Last edited:
Gotta see this video about Indians robbing a bank. Hilarious.

They're just to damn nice!