• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

With Emmitt Smith On the Board The Steelers Traded the Pick to Dallas

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
In 1990, the Pittsburgh Steelers had their eyes on drafting a tight end and fell in love with the extremely athletic, mountain of a man in Eric Green. Since they were drafting at the 17 spot and Green was a small school athlete from Liberty University, the Steelers were open to trading back a few places to get their guy.

It's @NFL Draft Day! I’ve got my predictions ready…
Who do you think our ‘boys should pick up this season? pic.twitter.com/EqQnL1JVAL

— Emmitt Smith (@EmmittSmith22) April 28, 2016

The Dallas Cowboys were rebuilding and in desperate need of a running back. The Steelers used the 7th pick in the draft the year before to acquire Tim Worley, so running back wasn’t a priority for them. Worley would end up being one of the Steelers biggest busts of all time.

Dallas was drafting behind the Atlanta Falcons and the Green Bay Packers, who held three consecutive picks before Dallas. The Cowboys knew if they wanted their guy, they had to move ahead of those teams, and the Steelers were more than willing to oblige.

The Cowboys gave their 3rd round pick to the Steelers and swapped first rounders to move up and get a guy named Emmitt Smith. He’d go on to become arguably the greatest running back in NFL history. Smith would set the NFL records for rushing touchdowns and yardage, which of course, landed him in the Hall of Fame. In hindsight, the Steelers staying put and taking Smith would have been ideal, but they thought they had their starting running back after Worley led their team in rushing the previous year. Sadly, Worley would never match his rookie season production of 770 yards and five touchdowns. He’d miss five games in 1990, 14 in ’91, and was suspended the entire ’92 season due to missing two mandatory drug tests. After five games in ’93, Worley was traded to the Chicago Bears. Worley’s legacy with Pittsburgh would be fumbling the football 19 times in 33 games.

The Cowboys were right to move up, because Green Bay and Atlanta both drafted running backs Darryl Thompson and Steve Broussard respectively. Neither of them would go on to be prominent NFL rushers. Dallas made the right choice jumping ahead to get the most productive running back in NFL history. Smith was also a cornerstone for the Cowboys dynasty which would win half of the Super Bowls in the next six seasons.

Obviously in hindsight the Steelers wouldn’t of passed on Smith if they knew then what they knew now. But in his own right Green was a solid football player. Green was a matchup nightmare for linebackers and safeties who were either too slow, or too small to stop him from catching the football. He was one of the first tight ends of his kind. Now every tight end has the ability Green has, but the league adapted to be able to cover those tight ends. Green would be named to two Pro Bowls in ’93 and ’94. It is tough to find a Pro Bowler anywhere in the draft, so this was no small feat. The Steelers used the pick they acquired from Dallas in the third round to add nose tackle Craig Veasey. Veasey bounced around the league for six years, playing mostly spot duty here and there, but never became a full-time starter.

To say the Steelers didn’t do well moving back is a matter of perspective. Sure, they got the tight end they coveted, but in doing so, they lost out on a chance to get the top running back in NFL history, and even worse, allowed the Cowboys to have the honors of drafting Emmitt Smith. Furthermore, six years later, Smith and the Cowboys would beat the Steelers in Super Bowl XXX capping their third Super Bowl victory in their dynasty. A little insult to injury for the Steelers since the Cowboys got the better end of this draft day trade. Just goes to show you, trading back in a draft, isn’t always the right thing to do.

Who would you rather of had, Steeler Nation? Emmitt Smith or Eric Green? Let us know in the comments below.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Obviously I'd rather have Emmitt Smith. But if we would have drafted him, was the Dallas Cowboys OL also included?

Who did we draft with that extra third round pick?

Obviously I'd rather have Emmitt Smith. But if we would have drafted him, was the Dallas Cowboys OL also included?
Tim Worley might have had a decent career running behind that OL. :)

We could do this with every draft NFL or NBA… 14 teams passed on Giannis…

We picked DT Craig Veasey. It should also be noted we drafted Barry Foster in the 5th round.
I can recall for about a 3 year period having the arguement with every non Steeler fan that Barry was a better back than Emmet.

Ok so here is the thing… it didn’t matter one bit…over the next ten years, smith, running behind that absurd offensive line really only outperformed Pittsburgh in rushing yards by a meaningful margin one time, the 95 season when the Steelers had to shift from a rushing offense to a passing offense due to defensive injuries and personnel…. Most of tge time the Steelers rush game outperformed the dallas one by a good margin

Basically they got an really good back that ran into injury problems in the fifth… had smith come here its not likely our rushing game would have been better, but we probably never trade for Bettis in 96 if he was here…

Reactions: MTC
I can recall for about a 3 year period having the arguement with every non Steeler fan that Barry was a better back than Emmet.
I recall having that exact conversation with a Cowboy fan at work. He asked me who was a better running back - Emmitt or Barry. I said it's close but I think Barry.

He meant Barry Sanders. We then had quite a conversation 😄

We passed on emmitt and Andre risen too exsteeler head coach at msu at the time too head scratcher bad moon risen was a Steeler at heart

We passed on emmitt and Andre risen too exsteeler head coach at msu at the time too head scratcher bad moon risen was a Steeler at heart
Andre Risen
Andre Hastings
Yancy Thigpen.

Our wr corp would’ve been called Yancy and the Andre’s

My memory is vague with the 90’s I was only 6 years old at the time

Eric Green was a great pick. That guy could have been a hall of famer. He was just lazy. When he felt like it he was dominant. If i recall, he used to hold out most seasons and then he'd report without a new deal just after training camp closed.

**** Emma Smith