• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Women's Studies Major Advises Men

Guy I work with (business partner) has been a lawyer since 1971. He will never retire. Tell him he is crazy.
Had a good friend, a bit older than me, that had his own practice in Phoenix, that felt that way.

One day he went to the office, sat down behind his desk, and that was all she wrote.

I'm 51 and almost all my friends, family and people that I know in general all work "normal" jobs. People do what they value most. I understand it isn't the same for everyone but according to the bureau of labor statistics men work on average 41 hours a week. Women work on average 36.4 hours. So it isn't that men are working 50+ hours a week. It's that men are doing other things besides spending time with family. There are many other variables to divorce. Women have responsibility for this as well. One is that many women aren't good to be around. They are treated as princesses growing up and expect the same treatment from their husbands.
This. There is an expectancy/entitlement.
Learning that life isn’t princesses, kings etc and that marriage takes work, communication and realistic expectations from both sides. My wife and two boys are my everything. Sure I work a lot of hours right now 5 x 11 hour shifts for the holiday season, but I chose a job that gave me 3 days off so I can enjoy my family and my hobbies.

Settling for anything more or less is just unrealistic. I’m happy with where I’m at

Yeah, you and I talked on the Fakebook thread. I used to live about 10 miles N of Prescott, Arizona. Wife and I built a beautiful house and barn on 2 acres. Wife decided we needed to move closer to our daughter, who is having our first grandchild so ...

We sold, packed up, bought a home in a suburb about 20 miles northwest of Atlanta. New home is great. The boys are staying at a barn located less than 2 miles from home. Here they are in their new home:

Boys-grazing.jpg

We see them every day, but I miss saying goodbye to them every morning as I went to work and hello when I got home. Talking to liberals makes me afraid for America; talking to Apache makes me feel great.
NW of ATL? Cherokee county? It’s been awhile, but I lived in Woodstock, GA

NW of ATL? Cherokee county? It’s been awhile, but I lived in Woodstock, GA

Not that far north - love Cherokee County, but we are down in Cobb County. Woodstock right next door! Thankfully, outside of Fulton County and its ridiculous property taxes. Is there a single thing liberals cannot **** up??

Really pretty area but it has been a while since I had to deal with leaves. Holy ****, 30' to 50' trees by the dozens on our property, and more leaves than I have ever picked up.

Reactions: MTC
Not that far north - love Cherokee County, but we are down in Cobb County. Woodstock right next door! Thankfully, outside of Fulton County and its ridiculous property taxes. Is there a single thing liberals cannot **** up??

Really pretty area but it has been a while since I had to deal with leaves. Holy ****, 30' to 50' trees by the dozens on our property, and more leaves than I have ever picked up.
Georgia has a lot of leaves to rake. But the scenery is great. Liberals aside you’ll love it.

I may go back someday. Definitely have to check out stone mountain when you can or if you did. Lol.

I recommend Athens. I’m a UGA alum, I don’t know if it’s still open but terrapin brewery was pretty good

Man, this thread hits home. When I retired from the Army in 2013, I took a job in manufacturing with Toyota. Sure, I could have went on unemployment and waited, hoping a better opportunity would pop up, but I was prideful, and it was my responsibility to take care of my family. Never again. I had about a 45 minute commute one way. I would show up at 5am, not get out of there most nights until 6:30pm or later. Get home, eat maybe, and fall asleep. I was miserable.

It wasn't just the hours. Working there, we had Japanese advisors. Those guys were like slaves to the company, and expected the same from you. Their whole worth was measured in how much they worked and how highly that work was regarded. The only thing they were missing was horse whips for driving the work force. Very little time off. I think there were 11 paid holidays for the first three years, and no PTO.

At the point I decided I was done, we were working at least six days a week every week, and many of those weeks we worked 7 days a week just to keep up. I was making pretty good money, but I had no life outside of work. I lost a lot of weight, I looked pale, skinny and sick. Looking back, I think that job was literally killing me. My wife cried the day I quit, she was so happy. We took a vacation the next day.

God was watching over me I think, because the opportunity for the career I have now popped up at just the right time. It took about 6 months to get through the hiring process with nothing guaranteed, but I made it through the process, got hired and I love what I do. I make better money and work a whole lot less and no weekends unless I'm deployed or the company approves overtime, which is rare. It has it's days to be sure, but I work with good people that have the same ideas and goals as I do, and we never allow each other to fall down. I am in a much better place mentally and physically.

My story is probably too long and boring, but..... Basically my dad was a Type A workaholic who preferred spending time at work than with his family.
Wasn't a bad guy, as good a dad as he could be, but he simply loved work for work's sake. It wasn't even about the money, as he never made big money until maybe the last half of his working life. I could tell him "I met some guy over there and we did this of that" and his first question would be "What does he do?" because to my dad your work was your life and defined who you are. Dad was intensely interested in what people did for a living and he'd be frustrated if I didn't know. Those last few sentences were part of my eulogy in October. Heck, I still don't know what Supe does. ****-ton of people at Dad's funeral and they all got a chuckle out of it. I'm fairly certain that Dad died wishing he'd spent more time at the office though.

I tried to be different and better and did the best I could with my kids although their mother stole them and moved back to her home state one day while I was at work. Missed her family she said (dysfunctional though they were). My son moved back here in 2008 to go to college and my daughter opted to move here with him and finish high school here. Then a couple years later my ex moved from Vermont back to Pittsburgh to be near her kids. Dafuq? Upside, my kids don't really like her much and recognize her for the drama queen she is. Last few years she's been eating herself into oblivion and occasionally I'll tell the current Mrs. Burgundy that she's half the woman my ex-wife is. For the most part I leave my kids alone and don't tell them what to do because I'm afraid I'll give them bad advice like my parents did to me.

I will probably never be able to retire though. Owned two franchises of a national service-type company for 21 years but the recession hit me hard (thanks Bomma), I was already going to mortuary school, but when I finally sold them it was at a $48,000 loss so I'm still kinda paying child support. Starting the company was my dad's idea and he bought the franchises and I ran them but except for 2006-07 I didn't make much money and it made my divorce expensive. My parents were so ungodly proud of me and I hated it. I'd always get introduced as "This is my son Ron, he owns XYZ Company. You know those billboards on Rt. 18? That's my son." Meantime son fakes a smile and has steam coming out of his ears thinking "Yeah, but I don't make any ******* money at it. This was your stupid idea. Western PA just ain't a lucrative market for this." Dad's idea is that anything is possible if you work hard enough and if you're not successful it's got to be your own damn fault for not working hard enough. At some point I got smarter and realized that when you're in business sometimes the economy and demographics work against you and there isn't anything you can do about it, so you move on. One reason why I became a funeral director late in life. As long as I have my health, I can always work. Not that I want to but because I listened to my parents, I have to. I'm making the most money I ever have in my life but I had to tell my parents to pound salt, I'm doing something else.

Last edited:
A continuation of the young and stupid...............
I met a retired Parke-Davis rep (since swallowed up by Pfizer) in the late 70's. He convinced me to leave Thrift Drug and come to work for him, as he had purchased 8-10 independent pharmacies in NW PA. The idea was sweat equity on my part would give me the opportunity to buy one of the stores (young and stupid comes into play here). So for 2 years I was practically living in the pharmacy in Greenville, sales improved and the store did well. So well, that when I sat down with the owner to work out a purchase agreement, he wasn't willing to negotiate or even consider selling to me. At that moment I tossed the keys to him and headed to AZ, where fortunately for me, Medicine Shoppe would not put a franchise in Phoenix.

Have it on good authority that Supe is a full-time product tester at an adult toy manufacturer. Apparently he's in the "highly advanced" program stage at this point.

Have it on good authority that Supe is a full-time product tester at an adult toy manufacturer. Apparently he's in the "highly advanced" program stage at this point.
Is that what the high buzz is about?