• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

y'all ready for this? if you're a knuckledragging cretin, you drive your own vehicle

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/07/how-cars-divide-america/565148/

Metros with lower levels of educational attainment (measured as the share of adults who have a college degree) are those where a larger share of commuters drive to work. In more highly educated metros, larger shares of commuters use transit or bike or walk to work.

and...

America is an increasingly polarized and politically divided nation, and the car both reflects and reinforces those divisions. Car-dependent places are much more likely to have voted for Trump in 2016. Although the associations are stronger for Trump votes, the same basic pattern holds for Romney votes in 2012. On the flip side, metros that voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016 and Barack Obama in 2012 have much higher shares of commuters who use transit or walk or bike to work.

Well, yeah, why do something yourself when you can use government provided transportation?

All this is saying is that people in cities have fewer cars. Duh!

Seems to be a bit of a divide about autonomous vehicles as well. My informal analysis tells me that libs like the idea of autonomous vehicles a lot more that conservatives.

Seems to be a bit of a divide about autonomous vehicles as well. My informal analysis tells me that libs like the idea of autonomous vehicles a lot more that conservatives.

Libs have always liked mass transit because then the govt controls when and where people go.

In Pittsburgh, Mayor Bill Peduto is derisively known as "Bike Path Bill" because he ****** up a lot of traffic routes to put in bike paths that almost no one uses because 1) there's a lot of friggen' hills and 2) for 5 to 6 months a year the weather is too cold and wet for all but the most hard-core cyclists here, which number about 7.

Fight them every inch of the liberal way

President Trump to propose blocking California from enforcing clean fuel emissions standards for cars

The Trump administration is planning a proposal to block California regulators from enforcing their own emissions standards for vehicles sold in the state.

Bloomberg News reported Monday that the proposal will be part of a regulation the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) will jointly propose in the coming days to freeze or reduce federal greenhouse gas emissions and fuel efficiency rules for cars.

The proposal would set up a battle with California over whether the Clean Air Act allows its decades-long aggressive crackdown on car emissions. The fight is almost certain to go to court if the administration pursues it.

The Obama administration permitted California to set its own greenhouse gas emissions for cars in 2009, giving it a waiver under the Clean Air Act. Numerous other states now follow California’s standards.

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-en...pose-blocking-californias-clean-car-standards

President Trump to propose blocking California from enforcing clean fuel emissions standards for cars

I don't see how CA having their own emissions standards doesn't violate the Commerce Clause, something the Libs often cite to enforce Federal regulations and laws on everyone.

Libs have always liked mass transit because then the govt controls when and where people go.

In Pittsburgh, Mayor Bill Peduto is derisively known as "Bike Path Bill" because he ****** up a lot of traffic routes to put in bike paths that almost no one uses because 1) there's a lot of friggen' hills and 2) for 5 to 6 months a year the weather is too cold and wet for all but the most hard-core cyclists here, which number about 7.

Nope.

I. People use them year round.
II. They’re a nice way to spend a day and an easy way to get around Pittsburgh. Yesterday, I was one of several hundred people doing just that.
III. It hasn’t made traffic worse. Traffic is bad on the roads that don’t have bike lanes (parkway, rt. 28, etc)
IV. Bike paths are mass transit?

Last edited:

I take it you've never ventured out to Los Angeles. Or San Diego, or many other big cities for that matter.

I. People use them year round.
Not many but I mentioned that. Of course you only see what you want to see.

II. They’re a nice way to spend a day and an easy way to get around Pittsburgh. Yesterday, I was one of several hundred people doing just that.
Depends where you have to go.

III. It hasn’t made traffic worse. Traffic is bad on the roads that don’t have bike lanes (parkway, rt. 28, etc)
But they make other roads worse than they need to be. Main problem with traffic is that commuting patterns are different than they were 70-80 years ago when the roads were built and due to the topography they can't really do much about it.

IV. Bike paths are mass transit?
More proof that you don't read very well.

Last edited:
I don't see how CA having their own emissions standards doesn't violate the Commerce Clause, something the Libs often cite to enforce Federal regulations and laws on everyone.

I swear this won't be a problem much longer as people are fleeing California. Non scientific study, went to the grocery store today and counted 14 cars in the parking lot with Cali plates.

Sure, everyone visits Phoenix when it's 111 degrees out.

There is a huge push for bike paths here in Delaware as well.

The company I work for is just finishing up (now get this) a $20 million bike path project that connects New Castle to Wilmington's Riverfront. And the kicker about all this? They failed to provide 24 hour lighting on the trail. We've already had two cases during construction of vandalism by fire (significant damage) to the bridges. We've had a murder on the jobsite (our guys found the body).

It is literally INSANE the type of money they are investing in this. And I guarantee if you count the number of people using this huge fancy bridge we built over the Christina River it will be less than 10 people a day in about a year. $20 million for something used by 10 people a day.

Only in a liberals wet dream does that type of money make sense.

Bike paths are cool. So are sidewalks and streets that don't end in culture-de-sacs and neighborhoods that are not basically just big cul-de-sacs, like here in Atlanta. Growing up in the Pittsburgh area you are used a bunch of different ways to get from point A to point B. In Atlanta it's like - go out of a neighborhood and onto a crowded main road.

I take it you've never ventured out to Los Angeles. Or San Diego, or many other big cities for that matter.

I had to laugh at 21's response, especially the appropriate "Duh" at the end.

It is literally INSANE the type of money they are investing in this. And I guarantee if you count the number of people using this huge fancy bridge we built over the Christina River it will be less than 10 people a day in about a year. $20 million for something used by 10 people a day.
Every politician who voted for that project should be forced to ride a bike to work, every day, year round.
Only in a liberals wet dream does that type of money make sense.
Bikes don't pay a gas tax.

Bike paths are cool. So are sidewalks and streets that don't end in culture-de-sacs and neighborhoods that are not basically just big cul-de-sacs, like here in Atlanta. Growing up in the Pittsburgh area you are used a bunch of different ways to get from point A to point B. In Atlanta it's like - go out of a neighborhood and onto a crowded main road.

The crowded main road named a variation of Peachtree. Peachtree Road, Peachtree Street....

My sister lives in a newer development in Tallmadge, Ohio, Akron suburbs, and it has real sidewalks all over and people know each other a lot more.

so the number of cars one owns is in direct correlation with their political beliefs?
are you serious, Clark?