• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2 more vet WRs off the board

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Chargers have signed Chark (that one hurts) Miami OBJ (not a fit here anyways). I was hoping we were trying to sign Chark.

Anyone else sick of reading how close we are to signing a "big playmaker?"

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Chargers have signed Chark (that one hurts) Miami OBJ (not a fit here anyways). I was hoping we were trying to sign Chark.

After this crazy off season, I am not surprised they slowed down a bit.

Last edited:

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Not sure Boyd is the answer, but I read that he left Tennessee without a contract.
It seems like Boyd is asking for more in terms of contract value than he can produce on the field. Outside of Boyd, here's a few of the top remaining options:

Michael Thomas - He was a monster early in his career but injuries have slowed him down and with three straight years with mediocre production, the odds of him being a good option are low.

Hunter Renfrow - He may get a bit too much credit for his one 1,000 yard season. Seems redundant after drafting Roman Wilson.

Zay Jones - He's a guy. I'm not sure how much he offers with only 3 seasons with 40+ receptions in 8 years in the NFL.

Mecole Hardman - Had a very defined role for the Chiefs and did nothing once he landed in New York. Even in KC wasn't overly productive. Probably not my favorite option here.

Marquez Valdes-Scantling - Not a volume producer, instead a big-play threat averaging 17.0 YPC for his career. With Wilson and the deep ball back in play, MVS and Pickens could be a good duo with Wilson and Freiermuth working the middle of the field. His hands though...

Corey Davis - Davis retired and just announced a comeback. Similar big play threat to MVS, do you want a guy who stepped away from the game last year?

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score
the thing is our idea of a "big play maker" may be of a stud Wide out or even a monster Defensive back. While coach T's idea of a big play maker might just be a punter.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
It seems like Boyd is asking for more in terms of contract value than he can produce on the field. Outside of Boyd, here's a few of the top remaining options:

Michael Thomas - He was a monster early in his career but injuries have slowed him down and with three straight years with mediocre production, the odds of him being a good option are low.

Went from averaging 1,300 his 1ST FOURS YEARS to avg. 300 his LAST 3. Classic case of "before and after he got his big $" case. He's been hopelessly injured his last 3 years. I guess that's what happens when a WR signs a $96,000,000 deal, averaging nearly $20,000,000 a year. After he signed that,, he's hurt all the time.
Hunter Renfrow - He may get a bit too much credit for his one 1,000 yard season. Seems redundant after drafting Roman Wilson.

Yea, I can see what you're saying here.
Zay Jones - He's a guy. I'm not sure how much he offers with only 3 seasons with 40+ receptions in 8 years in the NFL.

Mecole Hardman - Had a very defined role for the Chiefs and did nothing once he landed in New York. Even in KC wasn't overly productive. Probably not my favorite option here.
I'd agree here. Just not that productive.
Marquez Valdes-Scantling - Not a volume producer, instead a big-play threat averaging 17.0 YPC for his career. With Wilson and the deep ball back in play, MVS and Pickens could be a good duo with Wilson and Freiermuth working the middle of the field. His hands though...

Corey Davis - Davis retired and just announced a comeback. Similar big play threat to MVS, do you want a guy who stepped away from the game last year?
Davis has been a major bum.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
the thing is our idea of a "big play maker" may be of a stud Wide out or even a monster Defensive back. While coach T's idea of a big play maker might just be a punter.
Not with "HIS" punters of choice. Total embarrassment Harvin was. But hey, he was fat so it was funny!

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
With the amount of chips pushed in if the Steelers don't at least get Boyd it's ludicrous.
Not if he wants too much. I'm surprised Pgh hasn't rushed to sign the native W. PA-er. Thank God for Kahn.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
None of us here, I assume at least, know what it's like to have the income of an NFL WR, but they seem to forget what it was like before the NFL.
This is basically a supply and demand issue, the Steelers offered 5 million a year for 2 years and Boyd wants more. Don't we all?
So, who will blink first, Boyd, or one of the 32 franchises?

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score

Chark has averaged 24 catches and 394 yards over the past three seasons. How does that one hurt?

Dreegking

Reaction score
I thought we had two top 15 corners now?

Paying money for the last option on O. No thanks. Save it. Has-beens and corner wannabes. Not needed.

Dreegking

Reaction score
None of us here, I assume at least, know what it's like to have the income of an NFL WR, but they seem to forget what it was like before the NFL.
This is basically a supply and demand issue, the Steelers offered 5 million a year for 2 years and Boyd wants more. Don't we all?
So, who will blink first, Boyd, or one of the 32 franchises?
My gut says he looks himself in the mirror like OBJ had to do, and realizes 5 million is a crap load for a 2 or 3 receiver on a team with a running focus. I suspect he’s going to double back to the black and gold.

Would you give him 3 years at 5 mill per if that’s his counter?

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
My gut says he looks himself in the mirror like OBJ had to do, and realizes 5 million is a crap load for a 2 or 3 receiver on a team with a running focus. I suspect he’s going to double back to the black and gold.

Would you give him 3 years at 5 mill per if that’s his counter?

First, Boyd is really not an X or Y and Wilson is a better option at slot. Second, sure, offer 100 years at $5 million/per with a $1 million guaranteed. This ain't MLB and Boyd won't be Bobby Bonilla - Steelers can boot the guy at any time and contract ends.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
With that list of WRs out there, it might be better to find a UFL, CFL, or UFA WR somewhere. They might be motivated to work harder to lock down an NFL career.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
This is why i didnt like getting rid of DJ. He had his quirks, but he was very solid. There is not a whole lot out there production wise. Most guys out there are past their prime or have had serious production declines. The team is really banking on Wilson elevating the WR core which is a tough ask.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
This is why i didnt like getting rid of DJ. He had his quirks, but he was very solid. There is not a whole lot out there production wise. Most guys out there are past their prime or have had serious production declines. The team is really banking on Wilson elevating the WR core which is a tough ask.
This scenario played out years ago with I think Emmanuel Sanders. It was obvious he wasn't going to stay in Pittsburgh so the thought was to deal him a year early to get something. Instead the Steelers wanted to keep his production. They took the opposite approach this time and are stuck with a razor thin depth chart at receiver.

johnsteeler

Reaction score
A good QB can make an average WR good or better at least. If Wilson plays like the old Russell, I think Van Jefferson can turn into a good receiver and the hope is that Roman Wilson become close to as productive as DJ. Watkins and CAIII will battle out for slot. We can also use Cordarelle here and there...

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Tyler Boyd is a Titan

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Tyler Boyd is a Titan
I think they have pretty much run out of FA options. I'm not saying Boyd would have been a star, but I do find it funny how they spend money. I don't wanna overpay this guy, but I will GLADY overpay this guy. If this season isn't destroyed by injuries and ends up like the last several it will be because they have a lack of weapons. I can see that now in early May. How can they not.

diver

Reaction score
I have been concerned about the WR position as well. But today for some reason the 2005 year came to mind. Their receiving corps was Hines Ward, Antwaan Randle El, Cedrick Wilson, Quincey Morgan and Nate Washington. Ward was great of course, El was very good, but not exactly awe inspiring after that. And they won the Super Bowl. I know it was a different time, but not so different from today.