• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

3 Senior Bowl Defensive Backs Steelers Fans Should Watch

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
While all the focus remains on the quarterback position in the Steel City, the secondary shouldn’t go ignored for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

In all likelihood, Joe Haden has played his last game in Pittsburgh, and Terrell Edmunds‘ future with the team is up in the air. With a thin cornerback room deplete of talent, and a possible opening at safety, the Steelers should address the secondary when the NFL Draft rolls around in April. That said, the Draft starts in Mobile with the Senior Bowl, which kicks off in less than two weeks. Here are three defensive backs from the Senior Bowl that the Steelers should keep an eye on:

1) CB Derion Kendrick, Georgia​

Kendrick was one of the best cornerbacks in the SEC in 2021. He started his career as a receiver before switching to cornerback in 2019. He had a career-high four interceptions in 2021, and became the top corner on the best defense in college football. He can be utilized in both man and zone coverage schemes, and is incredibly athletic. In a thin cornerback room, Kendrick could realistically become CB1 on the depth chart before Week 1 of 2022.

2) S Jaquan Brisker, Penn State​

Brisker was a Swiss Army knife on the Nittany Lions’ defense. He was the biggest factor in Penn State’s Week 1 win in Madison over Wisconsin, making multiple plays following an injury early on, and sealing the game with an interception in the game’s waning minutes. He is an exceptional athlete who can play multiple roles as a defensive back. He has a great nose for the ball and can make plays in the run game with his fantastic closing speed. On top of that, he has a very high football IQ when in coverage. He can get north and south at a high rate, but also moves east and west just as fast. With the status of Terrell Edmunds up in the air, along with the Steelers’ lack of depth in the secondary, Brisker would be a great addition on the back end who could also be used in nickel and dime packages, or even try his hand at nickel corner.

3) CB Roger McCreary, Auburn​

McCreary had a very solid 2021 season with the Tigers. He broke up 14 passes and intercepted two, returning one for a touchdown. He moves as well as any defensive back in this class, and can be trusted in downfield situations. He plays the ball very well and his timing is among the best of any player in this class. The Steelers need more sticky cornerbacks who can make plays downfield. James Pierre proved that he was whatever the opposite of that is. Adding McCreary would give Pittsburgh a trusted defender who can keep up with receivers and play the ball in the air.

Who will you be watching for at the Senior Bowl this year? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I just hope Whowever we draft is NOT a project. The first three rounds should be starter or very close to starter capabilities. As a third round pick GREEN was a terrible pick for a starting center, to big a project for third round. I realize that the draft is always a gamble but for criminey sakes the first three picks should be for players playing their positions and not a project to change. Some have been successful but I can't think of any who were with the steelers. Lawrence Timmons comes to mind from OLB to ILB, i think one can see my point.

Salute the nation

I just hope Whowever we draft is NOT a project. The first three rounds should be starter or very close to starter capabilities. As a third round pick GREEN was a terrible pick for a starting center, to big a project for third round. I realize that the draft is always a gamble but for criminey sakes the first three picks should be for players playing their positions and not a project to change. Some have been successful but I can't think of any who were with the steelers. Lawrence Timmons comes to mind from OLB to ILB, i think one can see my point.

Salute the nation
I agree. Only thing is that Green was thrust into starting way too early. I don't remember too many 3rds asked to produce that immediately. If he would have been given a redshirt year it might have gone a bit better. And you learn a lot about the inability of the coaching staff watching him struggle like that and then they put in someone with experience and it's significantly better.

While all the focus remains on the quarterback position in the Steel City, the secondary shouldn’t go ignored for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

In all likelihood, Joe Haden has played his last game in Pittsburgh, and Terrell Edmunds‘ future with the team is up in the air. With a thin cornerback room deplete of talent, and a possible opening at safety, the Steelers should address the secondary when the NFL Draft rolls around in April. That said, the Draft starts in Mobile with the Senior Bowl, which kicks off in less than two weeks. Here are three defensive backs from the Senior Bowl that the Steelers should keep an eye on:

1) CB Derion Kendrick, Georgia​

Kendrick was one of the best cornerbacks in the SEC in 2021. He started his career as a receiver before switching to cornerback in 2019. He had a career-high four interceptions in 2021, and became the top corner on the best defense in college football. He can be utilized in both man and zone coverage schemes, and is incredibly athletic. In a thin cornerback room, Kendrick could realistically become CB1 on the depth chart before Week 1 of 2022.

2) S Jaquan Brisker, Penn State​

Brisker was a Swiss Army knife on the Nittany Lions’ defense. He was the biggest factor in Penn State’s Week 1 win in Madison over Wisconsin, making multiple plays following an injury early on, and sealing the game with an interception in the game’s waning minutes. He is an exceptional athlete who can play multiple roles as a defensive back. He has a great nose for the ball and can make plays in the run game with his fantastic closing speed. On top of that, he has a very high football IQ when in coverage. He can get north and south at a high rate, but also moves east and west just as fast. With the status of Terrell Edmunds up in the air, along with the Steelers’ lack of depth in the secondary, Brisker would be a great addition on the back end who could also be used in nickel and dime packages, or even try his hand at nickel corner.

3) CB Roger McCreary, Auburn​

McCreary had a very solid 2021 season with the Tigers. He broke up 14 passes and intercepted two, returning one for a touchdown. He moves as well as any defensive back in this class, and can be trusted in downfield situations. He plays the ball very well and his timing is among the best of any player in this class. The Steelers need more sticky cornerbacks who can make plays downfield. James Pierre proved that he was whatever the opposite of that is. Adding McCreary would give Pittsburgh a trusted defender who can keep up with receivers and play the ball in the air.

Who will you be watching for at the Senior Bowl this year? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..
I’d look at Lewis Cine over Kendrick. Tall, physical db over Kendrick

What round you thinking Coolie?
If he was bigger I would say 1st round easy

if he shows well at the Senior Bowl and the Combine I would expect him to be at least a 3rd round pick

His versatility and return skills should garner at least that

In the slot he is tough as hell

He can lose contact on deep routes but is quick to recover and contests passes against guys much bigger than him (like the breakup of a TD in the endzone against Cincy in the AAC championship at the 1;20 mark of that video)

he also had a 100 yard pick six called back since one of his guys tackled the QB during the run back

Last edited:
If he was bigger I would say 1st round easy

if he shows well at the Senior Bowl and the Combine I would expect him to be at least a 3rd round pick

His versatility and return skills should garner at least that

In the slot he is tough as hell

He can lose contact on deep routes but is quick to recover and contests passes against guys much bigger than him (like the breakup of a TD in the endzone against Cincy in the AAC championship at the 1;20 mark of that video)

he also had a 100 yard pick six called back since one of his guys tackled the QB during the run back

Lets say they did take him in the third, how realistic do you think he would be used over rayray in the return game ? Yes I'm questioning the coach Tomlin decision making in that regards....

When you last piped hi I took a little tie and can see why you are high on this kid. I'd love to see a success story here with him. Could fill a big hole for us.

Salute the nation

Lets say they did take him in the third, how realistic do you think he would be used over rayray in the return game ? Yes I'm questioning the coach Tomlin decision making in that regards....

When you last piped hi I took a little tie and can see why you are high on this kid. I'd love to see a success story here with him. Could fill a big hole for us.

Salute the nation
ray ray looks like he is running in knee deep mud compared to Jones in the return game

I know throwing a rookie out there would be a huge step,, but if he is the best he is the best

Who is the last CB that we drafted and developed that turned into a true number one corner? No thanks. Draft for the OL and DL. Bring a CB in via FA.