• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

A new twist...Caucasian Heritage Night cancelled

Buster

Reaction score
What say ye?

The Angels’ Pioneer League team cancels “Caucasian Heritage Night”
Bill Baer Jun 19, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT
63 Comments
Earlier, Craig Calcaterra reported on the Angels’ Pioneer League team, the Orem Owlz, holding a “Caucasian Heritage Night“. It didn’t take long for the event to get cancelled.

From the Owlz website on MiLB.com:

You may have read that the Orem Owlz had long ago scheduled Caucasian Heritage Night as one of its 38 promotions.

Minor League Baseball, and the Orem Owlz, is about baseball, togetherness and family fun for all fans of all races, religions, and orientations. Our goal in this promotion, like any of our promotions, is to have fun and make fun of everyday normalcies. Our night was to include wonder bread on burgers with mayonnaise, clips from shows like Friends and Seinfeld and trying to solve the vertical leaping challenge. We understand, in light of recent tragic events, that our intentions have been misconstrued. For that, we sincerely apologize.

The Owlz are committed to all its fans, families and all fans of baseball alike – no matter who you are. The event has been removed from our promotional schedule effectively immediately.

Good on the Owlz for taking criticism and cancelling the promotion, although the jokes in the apology aren’t really appropriate given the context.

We live in a world where finding fault in others seems to be the favorite blood sport. It has long been the basis of political campaign strategy. Some people can find fault no matter what the intent.

ciXPpOQ.jpg

Bummer And I so looked forward to that

So this promotion was planned in jest, but what if it were to seriously be a night to honor caucasion heritage? Shouldn't it be applauded as similar observances for other races or nationalities?

I'm confused. Was the event cancelled due to the SC shootings???

Also, burgers on Wonder bread w/ mayo??? - :puke:

Whenever I want melted processed cheese on my burgers I make sure it's White American

does that make me a racist?

Whenever I want melted processed cheese on my burgers I make sure it's White American

does that make me a racist?

Yes.
Royale with cheese. They're on the metric system and don't know what a quarter pounder is.

They should do away with separating people by race all together. You're American or you're not....check the box. All of these special groups are divisive and do nothing to unite people. I detest all of it. It's repulsive.

Also, burgers on Wonder bread w/ mayo??? - :puke:

They're all white - it was an attempt to poke fun. But there's got to be a better example of white peoples food.

This just shows how incredibly uptight our society has become. When watching popular movies from the 70's or 80's, I often notice jokes or scenarios that would incite outrage and protest today.

They should do away with separating people by race all together. You're American or you're not....check the box. All of these special groups are divisive and do nothing to unite people. I detest all of it. It's repulsive.

Moreso, I believe we need to abandon our victimhood mentality. And you can include victimhood based on race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or age. The United States of America offers opportunity to those who want it, more than any other country in the world.....that is..until we regulate ourselves out of existence.

So I took Kiara, my 16 year old daughter to the DMV today - to get her ID for her learner's permit. The attendant asked Kiara, "how would you describe yourself? White? Black? or other?" Kiara's response, "I don't know - I usually mark down other because I'm mixed".

I told them both - "You're AMERICAN" - that is all.

The attendant - stood - and gave me a rousing clap of approval which turned the entire room in to a clapping scene for about 1 minute.

Kiara was embarrassed. I was not...

There are two monuments at the Big Horn battlefield, one for the infantry and one for the American Indians. The American Indian monument is, appropriately enough, an earth-work. A giant "bowl" of a valley with three entrances that visitors can enter.

Anyway, during the dedication ceremony (which of course was slightly onerous, it is the site of a major battle after all) one of the speakers said something really wonderful and completely appropriate.

He said that the American Indians were proud to be there and proud to be part of the country's history. They understood that there was two parts to the name "American Indian" and that they understood which part came first. I thought that was really ******* great.

So how about people start recognizing, if they must, that they are "American Africans" or American Chinese" or "American Latino". I think we would be better of if we ALL remember what part comes first.

That's just my opinion, of course. What do I know. I'm just an American European.

Last edited: