• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Add this to the reasons Spin and Fall is not a Fan Favorite

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
such a whiny *****

Claims he didn't fumble the ball in SB XLV, he was "separated" from the ball

own it *****

What I thought when rewatching that play is what if the Steelers would have play actioned there? The Packers went all out on the run there.

What I remember so much about that game is what seems like to me missed opportunities on both sides. That game could have been something like 48-45 one way or the other.

A lot of these athletes are wack-O, this happened how long ago............. ? He is reliving it NOW and publicly recounting?

He fumbled whether he likes it or not. Wiff Johnson missed his block and gave Mathews a free shot, Mendenhal didn't cover or hold onto the ball regardless of the time between handoff and hit. Yes unfortunate but still a fumble.

With todays retelling of history,.......... Maybe he thinks he can re-tell it enough to change it.

Salute the nation

The same game where the Packers kept losing DBs to injury and Tomlin did not attack their rookie replacements. He said after the game we do not adjust our gameplans for opponents injuries. The day he lost me and I realized he was an empty suit spewing his stupid Tomlinisms. Unfortunately I was proven right that he is a dumbass and a phoney.

I saw a game recap of that SB years layer. Kevin Greene was a defensive coach on the Packers at the time. He told the defense that Mendenhall is loose with the ball and to try to strip it. Kevin Greene. Really painful.

such a whiny *****

Claims he didn't fumble the ball in SB XLV, he was "separated" from the ball

own it *****

Justin,
the first pic in the article shows the actual cause of the lost fumble: Whiff Johnson was the lead blocker and simply ignored the GB LB, who leveled the surprised SpinThenFall.
85 was a poor blocker at the best of times, and this stupid play call with horrendous execution cost the Steelers the momentum shift and probably another SB.

Justin,
the first pic in the article shows the actual cause of the lost fumble: Whiff Johnson was the lead blocker and simply ignored the GB LB, who leveled the surprised SpinThenFall.
85 was a poor blocker at the best of times, and this stupid play call with horrendous execution cost the Steelers the momentum shift and probably another SB.
Good assessment. But Mendy needs to let it go. This guy has been sensitive Sally on the topic for a long time. It makes me think of the movie with Jim Carrey where the kicker went looney over a misplaced hold- missed field goal. Be at peace spin before you fall.

The Steelers hs all of the momentum and the entire stadium could feel they were going to take the lead on that drive. The blockers didn’t help Mendenhall at all but you still have to secure the football.

Justin,

I feel for the guy and STEELER NATION but I also think I can't change the outcome regardless.

I don't have a rearview mirror so whats behind me I can't see, make today the day and keep moving forward.

Tomlin failed that day bigger than any individual play or player. That game should have been out of reach for the Packers by that time in the game. No ingame adjustments, we are who we are so why deviate, exploitation is me taking a paycheck continously, tomlinisms are more important, least effort given, yaddayadda yadda.

It was BEN's fault.!!!

Salute the nation

I feel for the guy and STEELER NATION but I also think I can't change the outcome regardless.

I don't have a rearview mirror so whats behind me I can't see, make today the day and keep moving forward.

Tomlin failed that day bigger than any individual play or player. That game should have been out of reach for the Packers by that time in the game. No ingame adjustments, we are who we are so why deviate, exploitation is me taking a paycheck continously, tomlinisms are more important, least effort given, yaddayadda yadda.

It was BEN's fault.!!!

Salute the nation
C'mon. Tomlin didn't get pushed back into Ben in the endzone, having his arm get hit and then the short throw to Wallace that was picked and returned for 6. Clean pocket and that is probably a TD. Tomlin also didn't miss a wide open Miller later in the game when Ben threw a 2nd pick because he forced it to Wallace. Heath was so wide open, how the heck did he miss that?

Look, this is no defense of Tomlin, but saying he is most to blame is a little over the top.

Tomlin also didn't miss a wide open Miller later in the game when Ben threw a 2nd pick because he forced it to Wallace. Heath was so wide open, how the heck did he miss that?

Because Ben tried to replicate what he did in SB XLIII when he went repeatedly to his best receiver, Holmes. I could see him forcing the ball. He did not look at another receiver after the first pass to Heath. Laser focused on a well-covered Wallace and like you said, Heath is wide-*******-open on the left.

Look, this is no defense of Tomlin, but saying he is most to blame is a little over the top.

Tomlin is 3-7 in the playoffs over the past 11 seasons, with no playoff wins since 2016 and zero SB appearances in the past 11 seasons.

Know who has more playoff wins the past five seasons than the Steelers? The Texans. And the Browns. And the Jaguars.

Do you find that acceptable? And saying, "Oh, that's not the coach's fault," okay, but since coaches have no control over how the players play, why not save millions of dollars and fire every coach?

C'mon. Tomlin didn't get pushed back into Ben in the endzone, having his arm get hit and then the short throw to Wallace that was picked and returned for 6. Clean pocket and that is probably a TD. Tomlin also didn't miss a wide open Miller later in the game when Ben threw a 2nd pick because he forced it to Wallace. Heath was so wide open, how the heck did he miss that?

Ben also under no pressure whatsoever overthrew Wallace for a sure TD in the 3rd.
Yet Ben was great in the SB vs, the Cards.

He's a HOF'er without question, but it's this inconsistency that places him a notch under the ranks of the elite QB's. That's just my opinion.

Good assessment. But Mendy needs to let it go. This guy has been sensitive Sally on the topic for a long time. It makes me think of the movie with Jim Carrey where the kicker went looney over a misplaced hold- missed field goal. Be at peace spin before you fall.
The laces were in!

( I deleted part of your post)
Tomlin is 3-7 in the playoffs over the past 11 seasons, with no playoff wins since 2016 and zero SB appearances in the past 11 seasons.
Know who has more playoff wins the past five seasons than the Steelers? The Texans. And the Browns. And the Jaguars.
Do you find that acceptable? And saying, "Oh, that's not the coach's fault," okay, but since coaches have no control over how the players play, why not save millions of dollars and fire every coach?

My point exactly !!! By not altering his gameplan at all, no in game adjustments and so forth all add up to coaching failure.

Salute the nation

The same game where the Packers kept losing DBs to injury and Tomlin did not attack their rookie replacements. He said after the game we do not adjust our gameplans for opponents injuries. The day he lost me and I realized he was an empty suit spewing his stupid Tomlinisms. Unfortunately I was proven right that he is a dumbass and a phoney.
I don't and won't hang out with a piece of **** like Tomlin. He is both a cheater a phoney a bullshitter and a man of no moral compass. He is ******* the Rooney's and ******* around on his wife with ugly wiggers.

it was like he was seeing where the line was

well he found it
Same guy cookie

The play was blown up by the Packers but Mendenhall had taken a couple steps when he got hit, taking care of the football should have been a priority at that point.

Because Ben tried to replicate what he did in SB XLIII when he went repeatedly to his best receiver, Holmes. I could see him forcing the ball. He did not look at another receiver after the first pass to Heath. Laser focused on a well-covered Wallace and like you said, Heath is wide-*******-open on the left.

I do not find it acceptable. I did clearly say I was not defending Tomlin. He certainly has disappointed. But I will never hold a coach more responsible than the people who actually block, tackle, throw, run and catch. It doesn't make sense. I will always point to Chuck Noll, who I kinda think knew what he was talking about. Part of the reason he stayed out of the limelight is because he knew it was mostly about the players, and they should get the laurels when there is success.

It was BEN's fault.!!!

Salute the nation
What's funny living here in Dallas (i hate the cowboys by the way) but Jason Garrett was a lot like Tomlin. They are very similar coaches (just good enough to not completely suck, and a players cheerleader coach). Wasn't the worst coach in the world but not great. He was good enough to keep you just above good but always kicking himself in the teeth and screwing things up. Sad that Ol Jerry jones figured out that Garrett had to go cause being just above average wasn't good enough but Rooney hasn't figured it out yet.

Mendenhall should never have been picked in the 1st round. there is a reason he fell to us. oh and no matter what you call it. it was a fumble.

Mendenhall should never have been picked in the 1st round. there is a reason he fell "dropped" to us. oh and no matter what you call it. it was a fumble.

The teams picking before us fumbled the pick and we jumped on it!

Last edited:
There's no "separated from the ball" stat Rashard. You fumbled.

Huh, I listened to the comment again and think I now agree with Spinthenfall. He said he was "separated from his balls." Gotta agree with him there.

Like a QB saying "I didn't throw an incomplete pass, the ball was separated from the receiver"!

Ben also under no pressure whatsoever overthrew Wallace for a sure TD in the 3rd.
Yet Ben was great in the SB vs, the Cards.

He's a HOF'er without question, but it's this inconsistency that places him a notch under the ranks of the elite QB's. That's just my opinion.
I always find it interesting when people analyze this game andMenenhalls part in it.
It took me till last winter to actually rewatch this game in its entirety. A long time.
First of all.....of course he should own up to it being a fumble. He had possession took a big time hit and fumbled.
In the same situation I am sure most backs would have.
Mendenhall was a polarized figure in Steeler Land. I think most disliked him. Many people seem to put the loss on his shoulders. Unfairly.

They talk about momentum. The real momentum negatives happened far before his fumble. 2 first half int’s one returned for a TD. 14-0. Sound familiar? Many missed passes throughout the game. Yet they were still in it.
Mendenhall 14-63 one td. Did you remember that there was a full 14+ minutes to go in the forth quarter when he fumbled? Of course all was right in the world when Ben got the ball back with a full 2 minutes to go down by 6.
Those last 4 plays were probably the most disappointing plays I had ever watched for the Steelers. With everything on the line. It’s why it took me over 10 years to rewatch. Any other QB in that situation we would say Choked

While Mendenhall had a part in the loss,a much bigger part was had by Big Ben and our pass defense. Rewatching,one of my fav people of all time Troy Polamalu didn’t have his greatest game. Say what you want but AR was shredding them. I couldn’t believe how many dropped passes there were by GB. Wide open.

Interestingly enough I took a good look at the previous game against the Jets.
Ben 10-19 133 yds. 0 tds. 2 int. Gave up a safety. 2 fumbles.
Those stats reminded me of a 9-21 for 123yds with 2 int 0 td SB performance.

William Gay td on recovered fumble the difference against the Jets
Mendenhall 27-121 one td.

Sanchez went 20-33 for 233 2 td 0int.

Just some simple facts and stats.