• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Any inner city teachers here?

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
What's it been like the last eight years? Better, worse, same?

I taught in the inner city setting for about 11 years. I had kids who got kicked out of the inner city schools. Fun times, man. I have been out of that setting for about 15 years, but I think I can answer your question.

If you are asking have things gotten better, worse or the same under Obama, the answer is probably pretty much the same. National elections do not effect the public schools in relation to as much as they are talked about in those national elections. State and local elections therefore state and local government have more impact. For example Corbett cut some education funding, and it had an impact on the school districts, nothing Obama did changed that. By the way, Corbett got a bad rap for that, but the truth is it caused many districts to streamline some things.

Lastly though, as it pertains to inner city schools. Most inner cities are run by Democrats, which ought to answer the question as to how/why inner city governments and school districts are messed up.

For example Corbett cut some education funding, and it had an impact on the school districts, nothing Obama did changed that. By the way, Corbett got a bad rap for that, but the truth is it caused many districts to streamline some things.

The story I got was that the (PA) schools got Federal stimulus money and when it ran out, Corbett didn't replace it with state money (because they didn't have any), and Dems were able to blast him on TV for "cutting education".

I taught in the inner city setting for about 11 years. I had kids who got kicked out of the inner city schools. Fun times, man. I have been out of that setting for about 15 years, but I think I can answer your question.

If you are asking have things gotten better, worse or the same under Obama, the answer is probably pretty much the same. National elections do not effect the public schools in relation to as much as they are talked about in those national elections. State and local elections therefore state and local government have more impact. For example Corbett cut some education funding, and it had an impact on the school districts, nothing Obama did changed that. By the way, Corbett got a bad rap for that, but the truth is it caused many districts to streamline some things.

Lastly though, as it pertains to inner city schools. Most inner cities are run by Democrats, which ought to answer the question as to how/why inner city governments and school districts are messed up.
You are a good man. Thanks.

The story I got was that the (PA) schools got Federal stimulus money and when it ran out, Corbett didn't replace it with state money (because they didn't have any), and Dems were able to blast him on TV for "cutting education".

Yea, that is more accurate. I got caught up in the talking points. It's kind of like if government increases spending on programs by say 10% every year, if they decide to increase by 5% someone calls it a cut.

Yea, that is more accurate. I got caught up in the talking points. It's kind of like if government increases spending on programs by say 10% every year, if they decide to increase by 5% someone calls it a cut.

Same as in some other scenarios, IE.. projected profits not achieved can be read as a loss and the long term unemployed who have given up looking for work can be reclassified as nonexistent.