• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Are the Steelers too undisciplined?

My comment wasn’t a criticism of Tomlin. It was of your analysis. How you can compare Tomlin getting more production of AB in the total prime of his career, to when Gruden,Belicheat had him for is beyond me. Ridiculous.
Fact is Tomlin allowed AB to morph into what he became......a great WR but a cancer to the team. Bell fed into the special treatment he saw AB get and took liberties himself then. Other young players came and saw all of this also. It created a me first culture where we had a team first prior to it. That culture is the difference between winning SBs vs washing out of the playoffs yearly with the talent they had on the roster.

There is absolutely no hate whatsoever for Tomlin. Just facts over a pretty long timeline.

I want him to succeed.That means the team succeeds.

I try to approach every new year with a fresh attitude and hope that the current trend of middle of the pack mediocre every year changes.

But the reality of the last 10+ years still exists. No rah rah stuff will change history.

It took drafting Ben to get over the hump of winning a superbowl for Cowher. I was certainly not happy losing so many AFCCG, but at least the team was banging on the door damn near every year.

This team has been down the hallway and around the corner from the door for a long time. Probably working on td dances and endzone team photo routines.

Save it for the confetti game.

Again. There's absolutely no hate here,only a desire to see the team reach the top again.

I'm optimistic this year. I'm not so optimistic about the OC.
You may not hate him but there are some who do and for reasons other than on the field issues. Many hated Cowher until they didn't.

You may not hate him but there are some who do and for reasons other than on the field issues. Many hated Cowher until they didn't.
Maybe if Tomlin brings another SB trophy some of this hate you speak of will fade away. Hell.....at this point a playoff victory might help curb this hate talk.

Maybe if Tomlin brings another SB trophy some of this hate you speak of will fade away. Hell.....at this point a playoff victory might help curb this hate talk.

Winning cures everything! And it will be his built team and staff that did it.

You have a lot of kids growing up that have never seen the Steelers win anything. I know my 6 year old would absolutely lose his marbles if he got to see the Steelers win a Superbowl.

Fact is Tomlin allowed AB to morph into what he became......a great WR but a cancer to the team. Bell fed into the special treatment he saw AB get and took liberties himself then. Other young players came and saw all of this also. It created a me first culture where we had a team first prior to it. That culture is the difference between winning SBs vs washing out of the playoffs yearly with the talent they had on the roster.
I’m not going to turn this into a Tomlin typical hate thread. When you say Tomlin”allowed”

From what we have seen AB become, maybe AB was just an ***-hole. Just maybe there was nothing anybody could do. It might have been the knocks to the head.... who knows.
We all know someone that had a kid or a sibling that has run totally astray. Brought up the same way.... all the love in the world.... just a screw loose. I think this is definitely AB. No matter what anyone said or did... he just did his own whacked out crazy. There was nothing anyone could do. Blaming Tomlin for absolutely everything is not right.

My comment wasn’t a criticism of Tomlin. It was of your analysis. How you can compare Tomlin getting more production of AB in the total prime of his career, to when Gruden,Belicheat had him for is beyond me. Ridiculous.
It’s a skill Tomlin has. Dealing with todays players. People here don’t get it. Our society is different now. That’s why I used that example. You got a point and I got a good point…Anyways, I can’t keep going back and forth with this no more.

Stopped drinking and well I’m not as nasty. Peace

I’m not going to turn this into a Tomlin typical hate thread. When you say Tomlin”allowed”

From what we have seen AB become, maybe AB was just an ***-hole. Just maybe there was nothing anybody could do. It might have been the knocks to the head.... who knows.
We all know someone that had a kid or a sibling that has run totally astray. Brought up the same way.... all the love in the world.... just a screw loose. I think this is definitely AB. No matter what anyone said or did... he just did his own whacked out crazy. There was nothing anyone could do. Blaming Tomlin for absolutely everything is not right.
I think this is closer to the truth. I think Tomlin kept the lid on AB until the very end. Instead of ripping him for the way it ended he probably ought to be lauded for keeping it together for the length of time he did. AB just didn't all of the sudden turn into what he is now. This has been an issue from his youth. I am just incredulous to those who say that if Tomlin would have been more strict...first of all none of us knows. But I think AB's history is the data we need to show that anything other then the way Tomlin handled him would have caused problems much sooner.

There is enough out there to say AB was an *** hole from the beginning. Tomlin allowed him to be that *** hole. No one else did. AB was a special player talent-wise. Bell fed off of ABs special treatment. Tomlin let Bell get away with things also. It created a ME-first culture and while AB and Bell were special talents we won NOTHING with them. Just what it was/is. Now you say there is nothing Tomlin could have done? After his contract was up he could have simply let him walk. Would there have been backlash from the fans. You bet there would have been. We were not privy to everything. Giving AB contract after contract just emboldened him even more. He felt he was the franchise. And when Tomlin allowed him to do as he pleased...why would he not. The fact is we won NOTHING with AB. Tomlin and only Tomlin let him become who he became. Should have nipped it early or moved on from him. Hopefully, it was a learning lesson for Tomlin. A hard lesson sure.....but a lesson nevertheless.

Anyone read DK this week? He wrote a big reason the Steelers brought in Robinson is because Frisman Jackson wasn't controlling the WR room.

Thank god they brought in a veteran professional and a grown mature man with leadership skills.

We definitely have a “YOUNG” offense and definitely need that youth / vet fine line mixture. Robinson is that infusion to help bridge that line.

We do have a couple “diva” WRs in the room so VET exposure could help in that regards as well.

Salute the nation

The only thing I would say about keeping the lid on AB is this........at what cost. You cannot win with **** heads like that who tear the team apart. I would have been more impressed if he was traded for a boat load when he was at max trade value and then found out about the problems afterward. Frankly they got more for Claypool then they got for AB because it became very clear what he was and his market tanked.

If you look back at Randy Moss/ Antonio Brown @ their best very comparable. Vikings got a 7th overall, a 7th and a good linebacker in Napoleon Harris. Steelers got a third and 5th.

The only thing I would say about keeping the lid on AB is this........at what cost. You cannot win with **** heads like that who tear the team apart. I would have been more impressed if he was traded for a boat load when he was at max trade value and then found out about the problems afterward. Frankly they got more for Claypool then they got for AB because it became very clear what he was and his market tanked.
They had a deal for a lot more from the Bills and he tanked that deal….