• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Arrested for neglect???? WTF is WRONG with society?

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
What's even scarier, SS, is that I have friends who think that this was OK....that the mom was in the wrong! They feel that 7 is too young to do ANYTHING outside alone. If that is the case, then I should be locked up for having my kiddo walking alone to school and riding her bike to school alone in 1st grade. That being said- I think it's up to the parent to decide what age is right for his kid. My daughter was mature enough at 6 or 7 to go some places alone. Some kids aren't. But to think that it's OK to be arrested for this is just crazy.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
I don't think any law was broken, so disagree with the arrest, but I don't know anyone who would let their 7 year old walk half a mile alone to a park and hang out there unsupervised. She sounds like piece of work. They told her that numerous sex offenders live in the vicinity, but the reason she won't let him go there alone again is that she doesn't want to be arrested. Hopefully they drop the case or just give her a warning.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
7 is way too young in my opinion, but then again just my opinion. Don't think she should be arrested but there's no in hell I'm letting my 1st grader go on a half mile walk uptown by themselves. Seems kind of irresponsible IMO. I don't mean to ruffle any feathers, just being honest.

Last edited:

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm no expert on the law, but isn't it illegal for sex offenders to live by a school or a park? If so, then why not arrest THEM for breaking the law? This mom could go to jail for 5 years. Who will take care of her son then? Does the law REALLY have her and her son's best interests at heart?

Again it's up to the parent to decide what's best for his kid. But at some point, you HAVE to let a kid gain a sense of independence. You can't keep your kid inside forever because of stuff that COULD happen. It's a fine balance.

JupiterBnG

Banned
Reaction score
When I grew up in the 70s, I walked to school by myself (well, usually in a group of neighborhood kids from my street) in kindergarten, walked back home after school, and had a key to let myself back into the house to wait for the rest of the family to come home (I lived with my mom, grandmother, aunt and uncle until I was 7 and my parents reconciled and got married). By about 8 I was able to take a PAT bus by myself (making connections downtown) from Hazelwood to the North Side out by Riverview park to see my grandmother. I used to take the bus downtown and go to the movie theater at the Bank or on Sixth St. near Duquesne Blvd. all the time when I was 10. I went with friends, by ourselves, to see Pirates and Penguins games. When I was a kid, and I went outside to play, I would get on my bike, meet up with my friends, and we could literally be MILES away from home, ALL DAY, with no way for my parents to know where I was. The only time that was a cause for alarm was if we didn't get our ***** home in time for dinner.

I realize that not all children are capable of handling the responsibility, but I don't know what has really changed in the world that makes it less safe for kids now than it was when I was that age. I don't think people are preying on children any more now than they were 30 years ago. It's not that the world is less safe, but that children are kept more sheltered.

IndySteel

Contributor
Reaction score
She's a dumbass. In the 70's and 80's, no big deal. Today, that's just ******* stupid.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
I'm no expert on the law, but isn't it illegal for sex offenders to live by a school or a park? If so, then why not arrest THEM for breaking the law?

Well, if they have abducted and abused your kid then got caught, I don't think that them getting arrested for being too close to a school after the fact would bring you much comfort.

I would say that if something like that was going to happen I would like my kid to at least be at an age to have somewhat of a fighting chance to get away or fight back. At 7 years old, they have none....zero They are not getting away.

And just saying, "Aww hell let them go wherever they want at 7 years old, what are the chances something bad is going to happen?" is not good enough for me, sorry. I don't think that's a good circumstance to be a gambler. There's a difference between giving them independence and being reckless. Call me overprotective if you want, I don't give a ****.

Last edited:

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 7 yo and I would not allow him to do what this lady did. He is not responsible enough, and is vulnerable. That being said, having her arrested is a bit much. And a felony? No way. And there is no law.

In lieu of a law, no arrest.

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
That's what baffles me-overlooking the arrest of the mom for NOT breaking a law....say what you want about her and her choice. She did nothing wrong and faces 5 years in jail. What have we become as a society if we think this kind of lawlessness by authority is OK?

Supersteeler

Reaction score
That's what baffles me-overlooking the arrest of the mom for NOT breaking a law....say what you want about her and her choice. She did nothing wrong and faces 5 years in jail. What have we become as a society if we think this kind of lawlessness by authority is OK?

Didn't another lady just get arrested for dropping her 9 year old off at a public park to go to work? How is that any worse? Both display bad judgement, but this one may be worse just because this kid was only 7. Should either of them be arrested? Maybe not, but I think both of them are being reckless and taking a terrible chance. The more I think about it, at least the other lady left the kid in a public place where there would likely be other parents and kids....plus he was 9 years old.

Last edited:

IndySteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Why? What's changed? It's not like there were fewer perverts preying on children then.

I don't think she should have been arrested and certainly shouldn't do time for it, but some kind of warning from the cops was in order. What has changed is society is definitely more dangerous now. The population is much higher, including pedos, kidnappers, etc... Crime and drug use is rampant. It's a problem even in my little utopian town. And holy ****, THE PARK BY HIMSELF? She may as well have told him to go visit a gay bath house or have a chat with the work release guys picking up **** on the side of the road.

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think an arrest was warranted, nor do I think 7 is old enough to be hanging out at a park alone, unless it's within viewing distance of your house. Kids are easily manipulated at that age. I've let my kids walk places from the age of maybe 10 or so, but only in groups. You never know what could happen. He could fall on the playground and get knocked out cold, get hit by a car, and no one would be there to let anyone know.

What was mom doing at this time? Maybe just too lazy to take her kid to the park for an hour?

Supersteeler

Reaction score
What was mom doing at this time? Maybe just too lazy to take her kid to the park for an hour?

Most likely just wanted him out of her hair for awhile.

And WTF is a 7 year old doing with a cell phone anyway? That tells me she sends him to a shitload of places alone. There's so many things wrong with this, it's ridiculous. She sounds very lazy to me....get off your *** and take your kid to the damn park.

Last edited:

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
When I grew up in the 70s, I walked to school by myself (well, usually in a group of neighborhood kids from my street) in kindergarten, walked back home after school, and had a key to let myself back into the house to wait for the rest of the family to come home (I lived with my mom, grandmother, aunt and uncle until I was 7 and my parents reconciled and got married). By about 8 I was able to take a PAT bus by myself (making connections downtown) from Hazelwood to the North Side out by Riverview park to see my grandmother. I used to take the bus downtown and go to the movie theater at the Bank or on Sixth St. near Duquesne Blvd. all the time when I was 10. I went with friends, by ourselves, to see Pirates and Penguins games. When I was a kid, and I went outside to play, I would get on my bike, meet up with my friends, and we could literally be MILES away from home, ALL DAY, with no way for my parents to know where I was. The only time that was a cause for alarm was if we didn't get our ***** home in time for dinner.

I realize that not all children are capable of handling the responsibility, but I don't know what has really changed in the world that makes it less safe for kids now than it was when I was that age. I don't think people are preying on children any more now than they were 30 years ago. It's not that the world is less safe, but that children are kept more sheltered.

I did a lot of those same things, at maybe slightly older ages, however never alone. It's not just predators, a lot of things could happen. The thought of a 7 year old hurt and alone, or scared out of his mind and alone...that's just sad.

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
It's called job security folks.

JupiterBnG

Banned
Reaction score
What has changed is society is definitely more dangerous now. The population is much higher, including pedos, kidnappers, etc... Crime and drug use is rampant.

I think this is an anecdotal/perception thing. Just like how our parents or grandparents would say that there were no homosexuals in their day... like hell there weren't, they were just not doing their thing out in the open like they are today. I suspect there aren't more child abductions today than 40 years ago, there's just more TV coverage when it happens, and even then it's generally only news when it's a pretty white girl. Same with crime and drugs. Those things fluctuate with time and geography, but over a long enough period of time I would be surprised to see a substantial rise in crimes, particularly crimes with child victims.

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm wondering if this was the first time the mom let her kid do this, or if this had been an ongoing thing.

Also- a girl I went to HS with had the same thing happen to her- she let her 7 year old walk alone to a friend's house- in the same neighborhood- and she got arrested and charged with neglect as well. The charges were dropped, but still...where does common sense come in when it comes to officer (and bystander) discretion? I see young kids walking alone in our town all the time and never has the thought to call the cops crossed my mind, nor has the thought that they have ****** parents has either.

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm wondering if this was the first time the mom let her kid do this, or if this had been an ongoing thing.

Also- a girl I went to HS with had the same thing happen to her- she let her 7 year old walk alone to a friend's house- in the same neighborhood- and she got arrested and charged with neglect as well. The charges were dropped, but still...where does common sense come in when it comes to officer (and bystander) discretion? I see young kids walking alone in our town all the time and never has the thought to call the cops crossed my mind, nor has the thought that they have ****** parents has either.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
There's a little girl of about 7 that rides her bike up and down the road all the time past our house. Our road is pretty busy with traffic and people driving too fast. My wife and I just look at each other and shake or heads every time she goes past. The fact that she's normally wearing skimpy booty shirts and a sports bra while she is doing it is another story altogether.

Last edited:

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess it's culturally frowned upon. I wouldn't let my 7 year-old do it but I can't see jailing the parents for 5 years over this either.

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
Addressing what SuperSteeler said- I think sexualizing girls at a young age is child abuse. Those horrid beauty pageants and allowing your young girl to dress like a hooker is just disgusting.

JupiterBnG

Banned
Reaction score
I guess it's culturally frowned upon. I wouldn't let my 7 year-old do it but I can't see jailing the parents for 5 years over this either.

Again, I understand that most 7-year-olds aren't responsible and capable enough to be unsupervised to this degree. It's also hard, and also subjective, to determine which ones ARE capable of looking after themselves. I'd like to think that if I had kids I wouldn't be terrified to imagine them playing at the neighborhood park without me being 10 feet away at all times.

But if you're concerned about this individual child's welfare in a bigger sense, are you REALLY doing the kid a favor by imprisoning the parent? At worst, this is an example of questionable parental judgment, not neglect or abuse. There are far worse examples we could pull out of the news, like kids being left to die in hot cars, or kids living in filth with no food and absent parents... but THIS woman is the one we make an example of?