• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Arrested for neglect???? WTF is WRONG with society?

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Again, I understand that most 7-year-olds aren't responsible and capable enough to be unsupervised to this degree. It's also hard, and also subjective, to determine which ones ARE capable of looking after themselves. I'd like to think that if I had kids I wouldn't be terrified to imagine them playing at the neighborhood park without me being 10 feet away at all times.

There's a slight difference between 10 feet and half a mile across town. You seem to be trying to make it sound like parents who wouldn't let their 7 year olds wander aimlessly all over town at their own leisure are up their kids ***** all day and night not letting them do anything. If you do have kids, you will be more cautious than you think you could, wait and see. In theory is one thing, being responsible for your own kid's safety is another.

Last edited:

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
Again, I understand that most 7-year-olds aren't responsible and capable enough to be unsupervised to this degree. It's also hard, and also subjective, to determine which ones ARE capable of looking after themselves. I'd like to think that if I had kids I wouldn't be terrified to imagine them playing at the neighborhood park without me being 10 feet away at all times.

But if you're concerned about this individual child's welfare in a bigger sense, are you REALLY doing the kid a favor by imprisoning the parent? At worst, this is an example of questionable parental judgment, not neglect or abuse. There are far worse examples we could pull out of the news, like kids being left to die in hot cars, or kids living in filth with no food and absent parents... but THIS woman is the one we make an example of?

Amen. You said what I've been trying to say...only better and clearer. Thank you.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Addressing what SuperSteeler said- I think sexualizing girls at a young age is child abuse. Those horrid beauty pageants and allowing your young girl to dress like a hooker is just disgusting.

You'll get absolutely no argument from me on that score. The dance recital costumes mine has are bad enough. I put my foot down on any beauty pageants when she was an infant.

Steelerfan

Reaction score
Let's blame the fashion designers too. Its difficult to find clothes for young girls that don't make them look like a slut.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think she should be in the running for "Dumbassed Parent" of the year, but not arrested.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Let's blame the fashion designers too. Its difficult to find clothes for young girls that don't make them look like a slut.

My sister's girls are derssed by mom, from the Little House on the prairie collection.

JupiterBnG

Banned
Reaction score
There's a slight difference between 10 feet and half a mile across town. You seem to be trying to make it sound like parents who wouldn't let their 7 year olds wander aimlessly all over town at their own leisure are up their kids ***** all day and night not letting them do anything.

No, what I'm saying was that when I was a kid, I could expect to go out in my neighborhood (I grew up mostly in Hazelwood), either alone or with my similar-aged friends, and be completely out of the sight of my parents, whether it was a block or a mile away, for hours at a time, and neither I nor my parents were worried about it, and no one was being neglectful or endangered. Today, for no quantifiable reason I can discern, many people seem to THINK that kind of behavior is much more dangerous now than it was in the 70s. I just don't see what has changed between then and now.

I don't have kids of my own so far, but plenty of our friends have kids and I know very few parents of kids under 12 that will even let them out of their sight. Where I live now is a squeaky-clean suburban-style neighborhood that happens to have one or more cops living on just about every street, judging by the number of drive-home patrol cars you see parked in driveways. There's practically NO threat to kids, even traffic is generally subdued. But like I said, the parents I know won't even let their kids go outside in the un-fenced yard without going outside with them to watch them constantly.... much less let them walk alone a few streets over to the community park (with swingsets, basketball courts, etc.).

I don't see a lot of kids playing outside, period, really. As a society we seem to have all become so paranoid that children either don't interact with other kids outside of school, or they only do it within the strict parameters of highly-structured and heavily parent-attended activities. I used to get on my bike, ride a few streets over to my friend's house and knock on his door. He would come out and get on his bike, and we would ride all over the neighborhood, go to some other kids' houses, or run around in the woods and so forth, and no parents were following our every move, and we were just fine. I don't know why kids today can't also be allowed to do the same thing without this panic about their safety.

Lmob0621

Reaction score
No, what I'm saying was that when I was a kid, I could expect to go out in my neighborhood (I grew up mostly in Hazelwood), either alone or with my similar-aged friends, and be completely out of the sight of my parents, whether it was a block or a mile away, for hours at a time, and neither I nor my parents were worried about it, and no one was being neglectful or endangered. Today, for no quantifiable reason I can discern, many people seem to THINK that kind of behavior is much more dangerous now than it was in the 70s. I just don't see what has changed between then and now.

I don't have kids of my own so far, but plenty of our friends have kids and I know very few parents of kids under 12 that will even let them out of their sight. Where I live now is a squeaky-clean suburban-style neighborhood that happens to have one or more cops living on just about every street, judging by the number of drive-home patrol cars you see parked in driveways. There's practically NO threat to kids, even traffic is generally subdued. But like I said, the parents I know won't even let their kids go outside in the un-fenced yard without going outside with them to watch them constantly.... much less let them walk alone a few streets over to the community park (with swingsets, basketball courts, etc.).

I don't see a lot of kids playing outside, period, really. As a society we seem to have all become so paranoid that children either don't interact with other kids outside of school, or they only do it within the strict parameters of highly-structured and heavily parent-attended activities. I used to get on my bike, ride a few streets over to my friend's house and knock on his door. He would come out and get on his bike, and we would ride all over the neighborhood, go to some other kids' houses, or run around in the woods and so forth, and no parents were following our every move, and we were just fine. I don't know why kids today can't also be allowed to do the same thing without this panic about their safety.

We are raising our kids up to be a bunch of lazy and paranoid democrats...

GoSteelers

Registered
Reaction score
I remember when I was married and my kid was walking home from school and told the teacher the day before that he wasn't taking the bus but was walking home. Well all hell broke that day! I had to go and get him and actually walk home with him that day. We made it safely, but my kid never walked home again and it was all of 1/2 mile from the school to our house. He had to cross the street twice and never thought twice about it. He knew how to operate the signals and did so. The teachers were upset that he was walking because they feared that he didn't know how to operate the lights to cross. He learned at a very early age and never forgot, so we (my wife) and I decided that he should walk home one day and let him. He knew what to do in case someone tried to pick him up and no one ever did. Now he's 16 drives a car and is the starting center and long snapper on his H.S. football team and much taller than I am. So now I fear him! LoL!

Supersteeler

Reaction score
We are raising our kids up to be a bunch of lazy and paranoid democrats...

Speak for yourself. They have chores to do and I make damn sure they are playing outside for awhile every day. They are both involved in sports and activities. However, I choose not to let them roam the streets all over town while they are in Elementary school. Sue me.

Last edited:

Southern Steeler

Reaction score
I wonder what they would do if they caught kids playing Smear the Queer now. Can you imagine the assploding heads?!?!

I could literally see lawsuits happening.

GarrettG

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think she should have been arrested and certainly shouldn't do time for it, but some kind of warning from the cops was in order. What has changed is society is definitely more dangerous now. The population is much higher, including pedos, kidnappers, etc... Crime and drug use is rampant. It's a problem even in my little utopian town. And holy ****, THE PARK BY HIMSELF? .

This is all pretty much false. Crime is down across the board from back when we all were kids. And believe it or not -- there is absolutely no evidence that living among registered sex offenders (it's a pretty all-encompassing laundry list of offenses that can potentially land one on such lists) increases risk. Counterintuitive, maybe - but true. What has truly changed? The endless 24/7 news cycle that nationalizes every tragic local story and loops...loops...loops for weeks.

Last edited:

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
Dang.

At 7 I would be a half mile deep in the NC woods. They would put my folks under the jail if they let me do that now.

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score

What do you mean by "capable of taking care of themselves"? How does one determine this? I think many 7 year olds could recite chapter and verse how to cross a street or what they are supposed to do in a dangerous situation, that doesn't mean you can rely on them to do it. I don't need to be 10 feet away at all times, my kids go all over the neighborhood and they have for years, but not at age 7, a half mile away, by themselves.

IndySteel

Contributor
Reaction score
This is all pretty much false. Crime is down across the board from back when we all were kids. And believe it or not -- there is absolutely no evidence that living among registered sex offenders (it's a pretty all-encompassing laundry list of offenses that can potentially land one on such lists) increases risk. Counterintuitive, maybe - but true. What has truly changed? The endless 24/7 news cycle that nationalizes every tragic local story and loops...loops...loops for weeks.

You are all pretty much a fucknut. You're in denial if you think it's safer today than it was 30 years ago. Seriously?

IndySteel

Contributor
Reaction score
GarrettG you sound like a pedophile and I think you are NAMBLA boy Got Caught Stealing…. You ******* child molester.

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
I think it is safer today than when we were kids. Reason- cell phones and technology. Kids of all ages have their own phones. There are apps that parents can get which track their kids. Cell phones have built in GPS. Kids aren't relying on finding pay phones or a neighbor's house to call from if something goes wrong. In THAT way, I think it's safer. People are still sickos and are still gonna be ********. That will never change.

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it is safer today than when we were kids. Reason- cell phones and technology. Kids of all ages have their own phones. There are apps that parents can get which track their kids. Cell phones have built in GPS. Kids aren't relying on finding pay phones or a neighbor's house to call from if something goes wrong. In THAT way, I think it's safer. People are still sickos and are still gonna be ********. That will never change.
At what age do you get your kids a cell phone?

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
We got my daughter her first cell phone when she was 10. It was a cheap one, and wasn't a smart phone, and she had no texting. We got it for her for safety reasons- we were in Alaska at the time,and the dangers of wildlife and things like that is why we got her one. I have seen kids as young as kindergarten with their own phones- some even have smart phones. With so many people ditching their land lines, this is going to be more and more common.

IndySteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I got a phone for my daughters to share when they were 4 & 5 but not to carry around with them. It was because I'm under court order to let their batshit mother call them and I blocked her from my phone.

JupiterBnG

Banned
Reaction score
What do you mean by "capable of taking care of themselves"? How does one determine this? I think many 7 year olds could recite chapter and verse how to cross a street or what they are supposed to do in a dangerous situation, that doesn't mean you can rely on them to do it. I don't need to be 10 feet away at all times, my kids go all over the neighborhood and they have for years, but not at age 7, a half mile away, by themselves.

You don't read so well, do you? I've described the extent of self-reliance I had as a child in other posts in this thread. I was a latchkey kid pretty much from kindergarten on. I walked close to a mile to and from school. By third grade, I was able (and allowed) to take city buses by myself all the way across Pittsburgh, making transfers downtown to a different bus.

As I said, I know that not all children are capable of handling that responsibility, and I went so far as to say that it's difficult to even determine whether a child is capable. But, again, no one has shown anything other than their opinion that the world is somehow more dangerous for kids today than it was in the 70s. I and all my childhood friends turned out just fine without parents being up our ***** every minute of every day. I'm not saying everyone should turn their kids out onto the streets and let them run wild, just that I think the perception of danger is more a symptom of helicopter parenting than any real threat.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
what we are dealing with here is the prussyficatiinon of America. A 7 year old child is perfectly capable of walking half a mile to and from school or a park by themselves safely.

GarrettG

Registered
Reaction score
You are all pretty much a fucknut. You're in denial if you think it's safer today than it was 30 years ago. Seriously?

Yeah, don't let the facts get in the way of your airtight argument.

GarrettG

Registered
Reaction score
I got a phone for my daughters to share when they were 4 & 5 but not to carry around with them. It was because I'm under court order to let their batshit mother call them and I blocked her from my phone.

Seeing your posts makes me wonder if you may have driven her batshit.