• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Arrested for neglect???? WTF is WRONG with society?

Supersteeler

Reaction score
what we are dealing with here is the prussyficatiinon of America. A 7 year old child is perfectly capable of walking half a mile to and from school or a park by themselves safely.

Do you have kids by any chance?

Supersteeler

Reaction score
I and all my childhood friends turned out just fine without parents being up our ***** every minute of every day. I'm not saying everyone should turn their kids out onto the streets and let them run wild, just that I think the perception of danger is more a symptom of helicopter parenting than any real threat.

This is not about helicopter parenting by a long shot. There is a major difference between a helicopter parent and having good sense. A helicopter parent is one that fights every battle for their kid and deflects all consequences away from them regardless if they are deserved consequences. They are the ones that call the school and fight with the Principal every two weeks when their kid gets in trouble. They are the ones that call teachers and argue about their kids grade when they forget to study for tests. They are the ones that call their kids college professors and harass them about the tests they give out.

Just because I don't let 7 year old walk uptown by himself, does mean I would dream of acting like these nutty parents. That's the perfect blueprint if you want to raise a spoiled ungrateful brat. However, I would venture a guess that 90% of people I know would not let their 7 year old walk a half mile by themselves unless they live out in the country. You cannot sit there and deny that there is at least some risk of a 7 year old walking alone being abducted even in a small town. Or walking a little too close to the road. Everyone knows how distractable 7 year olds are if they have one. Even if it is a very small risk, it's a risk I'm not going to take. Like I said before, a 7 year old would be basically defenseless against an adult. If somebody decides to take them, they are gone. Some parents are obviously willing to take that risk, I'm not one of them. Hardly any parent I know is willing to do that either. I think it is playing with fire unnecessarily.

Last edited:

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Yes.

I would let them walk to school or a park a half mile from my home.

Sounds like you have more than one. Would you one go by themselves or only if they were together? Also wondering if you live in a city or rural area? Personally, I do live in a small to medium sized town and it is about a half mile to the park. Completely aside from hypothetical child abductors, the entire half mile is along the main road on a skinny *** sidewalk, which separates pedestrians from the road by like 2 feet, so there is no frigging way my 7 year would be walking anywhere off our street. And it seems like some ******* yahoo goes up onto the sidewalk and takes out a fire hydrant every couple weeks. Not happening.

Last edited:

Doc Holliday

Reaction score
what we are dealing with here is the prussyficatiinon of America. A 7 year old child is perfectly capable of walking half a mile to and from school or a park by themselves safely.

Damn right. When I was a 7, my old man used to pull over the car in random places and look at me and say "find your way home *****." If I didn't get out, I knew he would put the boot in my face, plus I wasn't no ***** so out I went. I would have never learned how to scavenge for food or navigate using the sun and stars if not for this. When I finally limped home a few days later, after falling down 2 hills and being mauled by a lion, I looked at my father and said "I did it dad, I'm home." You know what he did? He put his boot in my face and ran me over with the car. Then he asked if I thought I was special? He didn't even take me to the hospital until my brother got home and he ran him over too. I guess he thought that if he had to make a trip to the ***** station (hospital) that he might as well make two. Mom helped him by stomping on our broken bones until they were good and mangled. You know what? It made me a better person.

These kids today got it way too easy. Bunch a little *******. There ain't nuttin more evil than a trophy, praise, or even compliments. Them kids all need kicked out of moving cars, and if they complain, they *******.

Doc Holliday

Reaction score
On a non-sarcastic note....If her Son was kidnapped, under the circumstances, what do you think the first thing out of people's mouths would have been?

That's right, they would have said "Why was your 7 year old kid 1/2 a mile away ALONE in a neighborhood with known sexual offenders?"

Say all you want about pussification, if your child went missing there would be NOTHING for you but regret and guilt. I don't think she deserves jail time, but I sure don't think what she did was right.

Omar10213245

πŸ‘€πŸ‘‚πŸŽƒπŸˆπŸ‡πŸ₯‘πŸ†πŸ‹πŸͺ‚πŸŒžπŸŒ›πŸŒœβ˜‚β˜”β„πŸŒŠπŸ₯΄πŸ€¬πŸ₯Ί
Contributor
Reaction score
Damn right. When I was a 7, my old man used to pull over the car in random places and look at me and say "find your way home *****." If I didn't get out, I knew he would put the boot in my face, plus I wasn't no ***** so out I went. I would have never learned how to scavenge for food or navigate using the sun and stars if not for this. When I finally limped home a few days later, after falling down 2 hills and being mauled by a lion, I looked at my father and said "I did it dad, I'm home." You know what he did? He put his boot in my face and ran me over with the car. Then he asked if I thought I was special? He didn't even take me to the hospital until my brother got home and he ran him over too. I guess he thought that if he had to make a trip to the ***** station (hospital) that he might as well make two. Mom helped him by stomping on our broken bones until they were good and mangled. You know what? It made me a better person.

These kids today got it way too easy. Bunch a little *******. There ain't nuttin more evil than a trophy, praise, or even compliments. Them kids all need kicked out of moving cars, and if they complain, they *******.

And yet, here you are, still having turned into a puss. :rolleyes:

Doc Holliday

Reaction score
And yet, here you are, still having turned into a puss. :rolleyes:

Well you're right. If I was a real man dad would have dragged me behind the car and cut the rope. None of this riding in an upholstered vehicle **** that makes you soft. But hey, I'm working on it. ;)

Supersteeler

Reaction score
I'm a bit concerned, it sounds like some people greet their 7 years olds in the morning with, "Hey, here's 10 bucks, go have fun. Don't come back until bed time tonight and pick me up a 6 'er on your way home."

Last edited:

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score
I think it depends on the kid. When I was that age I was riding bikes (with my older brother) into town (3-5miles or so) to go to the community pool. Still think it was safe. My wife has a little brother who is 16 who I wouldn't feel comfortable allowing to do that. I guess it's more of a rural thing, doing that in NJ is scary. In Pennsyltucky it was normal.

Omar10213245

Contributor
Reaction score
Well you're right. If I was a real man dad would have dragged me behind the car and cut the rope. None of this riding in an upholstered vehicle **** that makes you soft. But hey, I'm working on it. ;)

Haha just messin with ya bro. Your post reminded me of Dana Carvey's grumpy old man character on SNL:D

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly, 1/2 mile is NOT that far. It SOUNDS far when you say it, but when you actually go and track and see how far it is, it's NOT. Here in my town, kids walk to school. The only time they get bussed is if they live more than 2 miles away (or are special needs). The elementary school we are zoned for is 1.1 miles away. It's NOT that far, and the majority of the walk is through our neighborhood to get to the main road. Go out in your car and track how far 1/2 mile is- you'll be surprised.

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly, 1/2 mile is NOT that far. It SOUNDS far when you say it, but when you actually go and track and see how far it is, it's NOT. Here in my town, kids walk to school. The only time they get bussed is if they live more than 2 miles away (or are special needs). The elementary school we are zoned for is 1.1 miles away. It's NOT that far, and the majority of the walk is through our neighborhood to get to the main road. Go out in your car and track how far 1/2 mile is- you'll be surprised.

I probably walked farther than that to school myself. But not alone, at age 7. And my parents pretty much didn't care what I did most of the time.

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
When I was a kid, I walked to school uphill, both ways.

Omar10213245

Contributor
Reaction score
I rode my bike to school when I was 7. Lived about a mile and a half away.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I walked a country mile from our house to my bus stop in rural western pa myself from first grade to sixth. Of course my hood wasn't filled with pond scum either.

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
You can't keep your kids in bubble wrap. One thing I cannot stand is the helicopter parent. I see them all the time in the schools. Hell- it's even gone to the preschool GYMNASTICS class that my daughter helps to teach.....one parent was upset that her daughter was in the middle and back of the line (they line the kids up by size unless it's their night to be line leader). The mom went over to the instructors and was all pissed that "Little Angel" wasn't getting enough front of the line time and was concerned this would affect her well being. I **** you not.