• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Austin on Minkah

Poobah

Reaction score
From Steelers.com article today:

Austin put the onus more on himself than Fitzpatrick for Fitzpatrick failing to register an interception last season.
"We all know what kind of football player he is," Austin insisted. "The biggest thing is, as coaches, our job is to try to get all of our guys in the best positions possible so they can play as well as they can and play up to their abilities.
"Last year I probably failed in that regard because we tried to have him do too much stuff. I think I'm gonna get back to what really makes him special."

Would love to see Minkah playing more centerfield this year while TJ and Highsmith are unleashed. I am more than hopeful this will happen given the addition of Pat Queen and perhaps Payton Wilson to shore up the box letting Minkah go back to where he belongs. Moreover, imagine if the offense can get us a lead like the old days under DCDL...he would unleash the hounds.

Oh goodness, I am so ready for the offseason to be over and get us some real football back

If they can get those ILBers clicking which having PQ back there should instantly upgrade the room. Sprinkle in Wilson in coverage and good things.

Time is running out on our great core players. Austin, if possible will get Fitz back to his spot of play. It’s not just Fitz, but some other players have been playing out of position to much, there’s last few years.

We have signed some GREAT new players that will be “core” players as well.

Salute the nation

Time is running out on our great core players. Austin, if possible will get Fitz back to his spot of play. It’s not just Fitz, but some other players have been playing out of position to much, there’s last few years.

We have signed some GREAT new players that will be “core” players as well.

Salute the nation
to be fair, last year they defensive roster was running on fumes.

to be fair, last year they defensive roster was running on fumes.
That's what happens when you can't stop the run and your pass rush starts getting blocked up routinely by every team and your defense is on the field A LOT.

The offense does jack **** most of the time. That has a chance to change, but it's going to take time and development of young players to play above the line of average.

That's what happens when you can't stop the run and your pass rush starts getting blocked up routinely by every team and your defense is on the field A LOT.

The offense does jack **** most of the time. That has a chance to change, but it's going to take time and development of young players to play above the line of average.

Add in that “cautious” philosophy of the 3-year extended coaching mind……————— both “O” & “D”

Salute the nation

by fumes, I meant injuries. the defense was shredded by injuries last year.

by fumes, I meant injuries. the defense was shredded by injuries last year.
Even healthy, they can't cover a TE and the middle of the field is a huge issue they still get exploited on. That one has been going on since Tom Brady started carving them up.

Even healthy, they can't cover a TE and the middle of the field is a huge issue they still get exploited on. That one has been going on since Tom Brady started carving them up.
Imagine the difference if the D could get one faster out per game rather than giving up a 3rd and long first down?

If that got joined by more success by the O in the first quarter (because of successful game planning), the net would great team success.

Yup. that keep it close and try to win at the end philosophy is the biggest danger to a successful season
I'd be more inclined to destroy when you can and defend every blade of grass on defense.

**** the soft stuff and the bend don't break. That crap is a loser against good/great teams in the playoffs.

middle of the field has been soft for years due to ILB issues. My hope is the upgrades to ILB this year will really stuff that up better. Given the upgrades, I think the ILB unit can be solid this year.
TE is a different issue and is a problem for defenses. If you have a good TE, the size is hard to cover with a smaller DB and coverage LB's seem hard to come by. It is fairly easy for an offense to scheme to take advantage of a big/fast TE who can catch. there are only so many cover guys to handle mulit receiver sets. All that said, I agree Steelers have struggled more than they should here. Guys like TE did not help - he was not good in coverage. Hopefully a free'er ranging Minkah helps with that. Time will tell.

I'd be more inclined to destroy when you can and defend every blade of grass on defense.

**** the soft stuff and the bend don't break. That crap is a loser against good/great teams in the playoffs.
yea, me too. I am a defense guy.
That keep it close philosophy is more an offense issue than defense. HCMT is risk adverse and won't open the offense up especially early in the game. That is why I mentioned getting a lead early. The days of getting a lead and letting Bussie grind down the other team's defense while unleashign the fire blitz...well...those were fun days.