• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Bud Dupree placed on injured reserve

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
WowZa, injury is a part of the game, but our STEELERS sure seem to have their share of them. Imagine what we'd look like if no major injuries occured.............. Dupree will be back and Golson I think is done for the year. Dang it

Salute the nation

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
What bugs aside from missing all these players, is that the Pitt media seems to be afraid to question Tomlin anout the status of these players. We have Green still out with some mystery injury and then Dupree from left field now has a major injury.

Are these state secrets? If they were, we'd have more access to answers.

Hey, maybe teams won't notice that Green and Dupree are not playing since Tomlin did such a good job of not answering questions on them.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
There's not a precipitous drop-off, if any, with Moats, in my opinion. Dupree hasn't impressed me much at all for a #1 pick.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
There's not a precipitous drop-off, if any, with Moats, in my opinion. Dupree hasn't impressed me much at all for a #1 pick.

but it will slow his development, that's what worries me the most

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score

No drop off from Moats and rookie Dupree but Dupree flashed some ability last year and we've seen big leaps in OLBs from first to second year. A guy with his athleticism has been missing for years.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
but it will slow his development, that's what worries me the most

Missing most of his second training camp and the entire preseason had already started that slowdown in development.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
No drop off from Moats and rookie Dupree but Dupree flashed some ability last year and we've seen big leaps in OLBs from first to second year. A guy with his athleticism has been missing for years.

I didn't see Jarvis making any "big leaps" in his second year. Or ever, for that matter.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't see Jarvis making any "big leaps" in his second year. Or ever, for that matter.

But that's because he lacks the basic athleticism to be a great pass rusher. Dupree does have it and as a rookie there were moments where he showed it. He just needed to learn. This might set Dupree back another year.

At least with Jarvis, we knew in year 2 that he wasn't the answer. The worst thing would be if Dupree barely plays this year and the steelers still don't know if he's a player after 2 seasons.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
What bugs aside from missing all these players, is that the Pitt media seems to be afraid to question Tomlin anout the status of these players. We have Green still out with some mystery injury and then Dupree from left field now has a major injury.

Are these state secrets? If they were, we'd have more access to answers.

Hey, maybe teams won't notice that Green and Dupree are not playing since Tomlin did such a good job of not answering questions on them.

Even when Tomlin answers question on injuries he can be way off. A little boo boo could mean two weeks.

The Pit media throws softballs. They wouldn't last a New York minute in some cities.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Outside of Timmons our linebackers seem to be packing too much glass in their bodies.

I can't disagree. With the high draft picks we have thrown at the position they have been a disappointment for sure on the injury front.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
For those bitching about Tomlin's evasiveness when it comes to injuries, really? I seem to remember Cowher making a living saying a lot, but really saying very little of substance. It seems this is how the organization operates, and has operated for many decades now. I may be wrong, but I doubt Chuck Noll was particularly forthcoming when it came to injuries.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
For those bitching about Tomlin's evasiveness when it comes to injuries, really? I seem to remember Cowher making a living saying a lot, but really saying very little of substance. It seems this is how the organization operates, and has operated for many decades now. I may be wrong, but I doubt Chuck Noll was particularly forthcoming when it came to injuries.

Noll had better control of his team. Back then guys played hurt a bit more then they do now. Tomlin likes to talk and can say some really silly things. It's just who he is.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Noll had better control of his team.
Hold your horses, Coach. All we're debating here is the complaint by (some) fans that the Steelers aren't being honest and forthright enough when it comes to injuries, a la Ladarius Green concussion/headache, Dupree's groin, et al.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Noll had better control of his team. Back then guys played hurt a bit more then they do now. Tomlin likes to talk and can say some really silly things. It's just who he is.

Chuck didn't give out any info either. So what is your point? Chuck's players played hurt because if they didn't they would be out of a job and out on the streets looking for other work. Same goes for all players back then. Not just Chuck's players. Don't compare this game to the 70's. That is a pretty bad comparison. Compare Tomlin to his peers of this game. Not the game of 30 or so years ago.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Means Golson is out the year...

They can only bring back one from the IR list. Golson is done.

Can Steven Johnson play OLB???

Why do people think Golson was even going to play this year after his injury? He hasn't been in a preseason game and hasn't practiced in 2 years. To think he would come back from an injury in 6 weeks, start practicing and jump on the field is just crazy. Ain't happening unless everyone else got injured. Golson to IR is a no brainer.

Now, to the important issue, Green and PUP. He was on PUP in the preseason. Anyone know how that works going into the regular season? Do they put him on the active roster? IR him? Cut him?

Toll yinz...........http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...-golson-53-man-roster-psychological-benefits/

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Toll yinz...........http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...-golson-53-man-roster-psychological-benefits/

Toll yinz what? Golson will not be returning to the field when he does come back from the injury. He will be returning to start practicing for the first time in his 2 year NFL career. Then, how long will it take for him to beat out the other players on the team to even get a chance to sniff the field? He is not one of our top 4 CB's right now as the dude has never practiced or played in a preseason game.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
But that's because he lacks the basic athleticism to be a great pass rusher. Dupree does have it and as a rookie there were moments where he showed it. He just needed to learn. This might set Dupree back another year.

At least with Jarvis, we knew in year 2 that he wasn't the answer. The worst thing would be if Dupree barely plays this year and the steelers still don't know if he's a player after 2 seasons.

Sad, isn't it, that you and I knew Jarvis wasn't the answer two years ago, yet somehow the coaches started him 15 games last year, and he remains at the top of the depth chart.

Dupree will hopefully be back and ready to play later this season, and Moats will fill in adequately in the meantime. At least we won't have to worry about Bud running out of gas again, like the end of last year.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Toll yinz what? Golson will not be returning to the field when he does come back from the injury. He will be returning to start practicing for the first time in his 2 year NFL career. Then, how long will it take for him to beat out the other players on the team to even get a chance to sniff the field? He is not one of our top 4 CB's right now as the dude has never practiced or played in a preseason game.

I know they are hoping he is back into the mix

but this.....

By the time he is healthy and possibly moving up the depth chart, you wonder if you want a inexperienced on the field CB seeing significant time late in the year come crunch time.

I almost think they will start off with the plan to bring him back, but a injury or two will force their hand to IR him.

Wingman

Reaction score
Injuries happen. We are down some guys with potential in the young guys but not a lot of production. Tyler Makevich whatever his name is is likely to be one of those over achievers that people wonder where he came from. We recently had a guy like that on the team and he was let go and brought back James Harrison. Not saying this guy will turn out like James but he looks to be something so far. Chickillio same thing could be good. Dupree developing and could be something. Jarvis Jones no production but may become decent depth if he looses the spot to another guy sucks to spend a first round pick on a guy that might be a back up but it is what it is. The team will find ways to improve and have a decent season.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Golson with no practice from last year was made the starting nickle back this spring and then in training camp. There is no reason to believe he won't run there if healthy. He knows the defense that isn't the issue. When healthy he will play I believe

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I doubt that. Golson can't even throw down the Pouncey card. At least Pouncey, while on the field is actually a dominant player. Golson is at best "Goodish", maybe. He hasn't played for 2 years. It's time. I hate to be that ******' guy but come on. Seriously? How long are you going to send get well cards to a fellow who simply can't get well?

It's all well and good to have a bird in the bush, but this bird is an eaglet with a broken wing on top of a precipitous peak that can't be scaled. Let the ****** go. Sorry man. I really am. I have long hoped for a dominant corner. I would have loved for you to be that corner. You are the opposite of a dominant corner. For two years, you've been a guy in a hospital bed. It's not your fault. I'm not blaming you. I don't hold any resentments against you. It just didn't work out. I expect that in 3 or 4 years, once you can walk again, another team may be willing to sign you. I'm sure you find these kinds of attitudes frustrating and they make you angry. They may make you want to kick something. Don't do it. You'll only injure your toe.