• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Building an AR-15

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
ARs are difficult to get. At least the reasonably priced ones.

I think it will be fun to build one. A friend built one that is almost considered a handgun. Sweet.

So, anyone else do it, and if so, share your good and bad experiences. Also, brands to consider when it comes to lowers and other components.

Of course, this will be used for hunting and sport shooting. I also intend to take this on fishing trips. I hope I don't drop it in the water, like others here.

My friend was looking for some recently, because of, well things. Most likely fishing. he couldn’t find one anywhere. This was months ago.

Building one would be cool, but probably not necessarily cheaper. My brother recently built one, its pretty cool. I believe he got a lot of his parts from Palmetto State Armory.

Be careful those things will attack you like a kamikaze on a death dive. Thank goodness those in the Adams close bloodline circle of trust purchased these items long ago before getting scared and sacrificing them to the oak tree chipmunk God.We did keep the flintlock pistol for show&tell.

So, anyone else do it, and if so, share your good and bad experiences.

Many of us have that one cousin who is kinda shady. Mine was selling *cough* modified gun parts *cough* on eBay that would make a semi-auto into a full-auto until the ATF raided his house one day and hauled him off to the hoosegow. His fishing boat didn't overturn soon enough.

Building one would be cool, but probably not necessarily cheaper. My brother recently built one, its pretty cool. I believe he got a lot of his parts from Palmetto State Armory.

I would be EXTREMELY cautious about ordering thru PSA right now. Their customer service has become ABYSMAL since the Election Infection started. In June, I ordered a new stripped lower receiver for a build and selected the local FFL for the transfer that they showed on their website as having the paperwork for. 10 days later I received an e-mail telling me that the FFL license for the dealer expired within 90 days so I had to get a new copy of their license or the order would be cancelled after 30 days. I tried calling them, they have a VM that now says that due to traffic, all correspond. must be thru their website. I went to the website, to change the FFL to a local Cabelas, I made the change, and the shipping on the order still said the original FFL. I tried using the contact us feature on the website, still no answer. Finally said to hell with it and would just let them cancel the order after 30 days. That was 4 months ago, still have never received a credit back for the charges and no correspondence from PSA at all. I ended up filing a dispute with my CC and will let them take care of it. If you do a review search for PSA or a BBB search, apparently EVERYONE is having issues with them right now. They used to be a great company to deal with, now, not so much.

Really too bad about PSA. Neighbor used PSA some years back, and I talked to a couple of people in the know and they confirmed what Steeler Pride said about PSA.

Never built an AR-15. (Consider an AR-10, by the way.) Due almost solely to the idiocy of limp-noodle failure Robert O'Rourke and the Fake Mexicans, neighbor purchased a Ruger 8500 AR-15, which is made for 5.56. (Be sure to build a 5.56 by the way, Hamster. A 5.56 can use .223, while a .223 cannot handle 5.56 rounds.)

dsc_1398.png

Neighbor paired the AR with a Burris 332 3x fixed scope and says it is as accurate as a switch watch.

AR-shooting.jpg

100 yards

So sorry, no advice on the build except to make sure the rifle handles 5.56, not just .223, and good luck.

Ive got a PSA to build, it's been waiting for 6 months. One of these days I'll get time!
I've never had any issues with them, but it's been several months since I have made a purchase.
I know they are/were going thru a buyout, maybe that's causing the problems. If you can get in touch with Josiah, he will take care of any problems.