• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Bye Bye Mitch.

Yeah but each was an overall cap savings to cut. All of that dead cap was from signing bonuses already paid. Cutting Mitch freed up 3 million dollars overall this year.. even more next year

The big issue is that signing even a Jacoby Brissett level backup is going to cost like 8 million bucks...
That was my point in an earlier thread -- sure, cutting Mitch freed up $2.94 million, but what kind of replacement backup QB are you going to get for that price? Last year it would have been guys like Cooper Rush, Tyler Huntley, or CJ Beathard.

The bigger issue is why didn't they just wait until June 1st to cut Trubisky? According to OTC, the dead cap would have been half the size ($2.3 million), and the savings would have been $5.25 mill. I'm not sure why this was the case, since his roster bonus was only set to be $1,000,000. If you can explain those figures, I'd appreciate it.

That was my point in an earlier thread -- sure, cutting Mitch freed up $2.94 million, but what kind of replacement backup QB are you going to get for that price? Last year it would have been guys like Cooper Rush, Tyler Huntley, or CJ Beathard.

The bigger issue is why didn't they just wait until June 1st to cut Trubisky? According to OTC, the dead cap would have been half the size ($2.3 million), and the savings would have been $5.25 mill. I'm not sure why this was the case, since his roster bonus was only set to be $1,000,000. If you can explain those figures, I'd appreciate it.
they normally free up players earlier to give them a chance to latch on quicker somewhere else, they are always very amicable negotiating with players

For post June 1 cuts, they don't have to wait till then. They can just designate a player as post 6/1. This is allowed so player has a better chance to find a new home.

A post 6/1 cut splits the dead money over 2 years rather than takign it all in one year so doing that with Mitch would have made 1.2 dead this year and 1.2 dead next year rather than 2.4 all at once this year.

I would draft a QB and bring in a free agent. The Steelers are down 2 QBs and like to have three....
We got Kenny. We don't need a backup. Use the picks/money on something needed, like a new play station!

Yes. Post june cuts are pushing half of the owed money into the next season. Colbert liked doing it. Perhaps Omar prefers to take the hit now and keep the 2025 cap clean

For post June 1 cuts, they don't have to wait till then. They can just designate a player as post 6/1. This is allowed so player has a better chance to find a new home.

A post 6/1 cut splits the dead money over 2 years rather than takign it all in one year so doing that with Mitch would have made 1.2 dead this year and 1.2 dead next year rather than 2.4 all at once this year.
OK, but you mean $2.3 and $2.3, right?

I get the prorated part, but what about the roster bonus which he won't be receiving? That million was/is included in his $7.56 cap number for 2024. Since he's no longer on the roster, wouldn't that be saving the Steelers another mill?

OK, but you mean $2.3 and $2.3, right?

I get the prorated part, but what about the roster bonus which he won't be receiving? That million was/is included in his $7.56 cap number for 2024. Since he's no longer on the roster, wouldn't that be saving the Steelers another mill?
Yea - I did not look up his numbers and misread your post. He should 2 years of his guaranteed money (originally 8M/3yrs) left to pay out just over 2.6 per year. So, either 4.3ishM in one year or 2.6 each year for 2. My bad. should have looked it up.

I have not looked into Mitch's contract, but generally a roster bonus is only a hit against the cap if it is achieved. If a players is cut before the due date, it should not count against cap which is what I am sure you are getting at. The only money that should be hitting the cap is any leftover guaranteed money at contract sig to true up the books. Only thing I can think is some leftover money from the extension last year rather than the roster bonus that is skewing the numbers but that is pure pasta against a wll.

So given the Steelers made 3 significant announcement re roster spots, did they also tell Cole, Moore, Wallace and Ogunjobi, etc. that they are seeking upgrades to improve performance?

Many here defended that silly contract as necessary in case something happened to KFP. Few wanted the much cheaper Rudy. Steelers just wasted $7-8M, and a few games, on crappy Mitch, post Canada. That was obviously Tomlin.
Yep…very Tomlin
Watching back on Shades presser when Kenny went down with injury and a reporter asked about the starting QB for the next game

Tomlin states, Mitch got the majority of the reps so Mitch will start???
Would’ve made more sense to use the reasoning of _____is the better QB so he will start.

It’s like he realized Mitch would suck, gave him the majority of the reps and his hands were tied

You can’t have that level of genius coaching just anywhere

Yep…very Tomlin
Watching back on Shades presser when Kenny went down with injury and a reporter asked about the starting QB for the next game

Tomlin states, Mitch got the majority of the reps so Mitch will start???
Would’ve made more sense to use the reasoning of _____is the better QB so he will start.

It’s like he realized Mitch would suck, gave him the majority of the reps and his hands were tied

You can’t have that level of genius coaching just anywhere

17 years, and counting.

Salute the nation

I don't have anything bad to say about Mitch. The steelers probably misled him when they signed him. Mitch played well subbing for Josh Allen. Lots of talk about him being a potential starter again. He had options when he chose the steelers. Then they drafted Kenny. Then he had to try to run the Canada offense while splitting reps. Then he was pretty much scapegoated and replaced by Kenny.

Mitch really was in a no win situation with the steelers.

Baker Mayfield found himself in a good situation with Tamp and may have turned his career around. Maybe Mitch can find a good fit himself.
Maybe in Minnesota???