• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Calls for boycott of Starbucks over plans to hire 10,000 refugees over next 5 years

Spike

Reaction score
WASHINGTON (WABC) -- Starbucks says it will hire 10,000 refugees over the next five years, a response to President Donald Trump's indefinite suspension of Syrian refugees and temporary travel bans that apply to six other Muslim-majority nations.

The move sparked calls for a boycott, and on Monday morning, #BoycottStarbucks was the top trend on Twitter.

http://abc7ny.com/business/calls-fo...s-over-plans-to-hire-10000-refugees-/1727818/

-------------------------------

More American jobs lost?

I wonder how this is going to make non-refugees feel?

What was Starbucks trying to achieve with that announcement?

hey wait, what's this??? - what timing!

A 23-year-old college dropout just opened a robot-powered coffee kiosk in San Francisco

Henry Hu, 23, hates waiting in lines at coffee shops. Thanks to his new invention, other coffee fiends in San Francisco can now get their fix in seconds.

Cafe X TechnologiesCafe X claims to be the first robot-powered café in the US. The kiosk takes customers' orders from a number of tablets stationed nearby, and serves coffes, lattés, and cappuccinos made with beans from local roasters. It opens January 30 in the city's Metreon shopping center.

The robot, which is encased in a round, plexiglass shell, isn't all that intelligent. Hu says you can find six-axis, industrial robots like his on all sorts of assembly lines. It performs a pre-defined set of motions, such as moving a cup from under the milk dispenser to the syrup dispenser, or delivering a cup to the window where the customer is standing.

But it's still incredibly fast. Cafe X is capable of preparing between 100 and 120 drinks per hour, depending on the complexity of the orders, according to Hu. Customers can choose the brand of beans and customize the amount of milk and flavors used.

588b9067475752df038b4f59-2000

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/bu...ld-college-dropout-just-opened-a-10893665.php

More American jobs lost?
Thanks Trump! ;(

Solid move by Starbucks standing up for core American values. I doubt they get anywhere near those numbers but it's the thought that counts.

Pretty sure that statement violates the EEOC. What about me I can't get a job there because I'm an American.

Thanks Trump! ;(

Solid move by Starbucks standing up for core American values. I doubt they get anywhere near those numbers but it's the thought that counts.

Racist move. Just think if Chick-fil-A said they were going to hire Christians only. Starbucks is racist.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

**** Starbucks and their anti-American bitter *** swill. As Ron and I have stated on other coffee threads, Lavazza is far superior.

They don't call it Charbucks for nothing. I HATE their coffee. I drink it begrudgingly when I have to. Dunkin Donuts for me. Now, even more reason not to drink it.

Let's hope this move gets them the Target backlash where Americans who live by core American values retaliate with their wallets.

Thanks Trump! ;(

What values would those be? Limiting jobs to American citizens because it doesn't fit the current agenda?

Again... Trump just put the refugee program on hold for 4 months. We have already resettled something like 8,000 refugees this year.

When Trump's 120 days are up, we will resettle the remaining 42,000 for the rest of the year. 50,000 is very close to what we did from 2001-2013 (the max used to be 60k I think).

Just because we don't allow a Syrian refugee into one of the 50,000 spots doesn't mean another feel-good story of another refugee from Burma or Myanmar or Ukraine or Turkey or someplace else won't take their place. And most of the refugees from Burma and Myanmar and Turkey are muslim, if that counts for anything to these liberals (like we are supposed to have a quota for Muslims now?).

Even at 50,000 we will be taking almost 50% of permanent resettled refugees under the U.N. resettlement policy. How is that not good enough?

I boycott them because their coffee is horrible.

As i mentioned in another thread, this is just a marketing ploy to attract millennials. Their research tells them millennials love this PC stuff. They do not care if they lose your business if you are over 35. Not as many people over 35 are dumb enough to overpay for their coffee anyway.

Look for more stuff like this as businesses are desperate to attract young people who hate businesses.

I was already boycotting Starbucks due to their overpriced over roasted swill crappy coffee.

Tibs,

I did not realize not protecting our national sovereignty and allowing potential terrorists to enter our country at will was a core American value.

Even with Trumps executive order, there will be plenty of refugees (50,000 in fact).

And if that's not enough or what liberals want, then they should hire some homeless people. We still have plenty of people in need right within our borders right now.

As i mentioned in another thread, this is just a marketing ploy to attract millennials. Their research tells them millennials love this PC stuff. They do not care if they lose your business if you are over 35. Not as many people over 35 are dumb enough to overpay for their coffee anyway.

Look for more stuff like this as businesses are desperate to attract young people who hate businesses.

shouldn't millenials be pissed at this? this is the same group of people complaining that finding jobs is too difficult and that corporate America is undercutting them with low wages.
it's like they're being slapped in the face with jelly dildos and too stupid to understand.

This wasn't 10K in the United States, this was worldwide. Starbucks has 24,000 and growing number of stores.
Refugees are people without a country, mostly people in hopeless situations, nothing wrong with Starbucks showing some heart.