• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Cam Newton Getting Hit

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Is he still alive?. I don't know, listening to the media , it's as if he was shot, stabbed, beaten and left for dead. We have never ever ever seen a QB or maybe any other human take a beating like that.

Somebody must be held accountable for this atrocity. We know that every time a helmet touches another, it's a concussion. That's just fact and if you disagree then you are a horrible person.

That pretty much sums up the Cam Newton coverage.

I watched the game and in can only think of 3 hits to the head area.

1 the big hit that was flagged.

2 Cam gets sacked by Ware from one side and the hit throws him into Miller from the other side and their helmets lightly touch. Collinsworth wet his pants over it. I didn't think it was anything. Cam was hurt but clutching at his leg, not his head. He did not seem phased at all.

3 a Broncos LB is about the sack Cam who throws the ball, the LB then lets up and as he passes by Cam, his arm grazes Cam's helmet as Cam is starting to duck. Very minor contact.

So what am I missing that they are acting like Denver was hitting Cam late and in the head like every other play?.

I get it that concussions are bad and you want to protect but can we stop with the hysteria and guilt trip whenever a replay shows in slow motion that somebody's helmet was touched?. There are team doctors and independent doctors looking at these players and they saw no reason to pull Cam, so why must we hear all these media types diagnose every player with concussion?

If you are so morally conflicted watching football then stop watching it. Stop profiting from football while also shaming others for enjoying it. But that's just it. These people are not actually upset. They just want to get the kudos and belly rubs that are assured when you forward the PC agenda.

Spike

Reaction score
Oh Cam, his poor bruised ego just got beat by a walk-on rookie QB..give him time to heal

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Cam is a victim of his size, just as Ben is/was.

high hits - helmet to helmet
von-miller-cam-newton-090916-getty-ftrjpg_l1dqv8tk18121nsbn9jamp5d3.jpg

PANTHERS_BRONCOS_52

and Cam downplayed all the helmet to helmet hits, saying he doesnt think he was being targeted.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep...Ben gets hit worse all the time...no flag and CERTAINLY none of this hubbub.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
They are supposed to nicely ask the QB to sit down so they can gently touch him down for a sack. That's the NFL Fürher wants.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
He did take some ****** shots like Ben did and still does. But like Ben, Cam is a big boy to bring down. I see both sides of the arguement, but, if you're going to enforce the QB skirt rules, they gotta be fair and call them all of the time or none of the time.

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
I thought he had broken ribs from thumping his own chest.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
He did take some ****** shots like Ben did and still does. But like Ben, Cam is a big boy to bring down. I see both sides of the arguement, but, if you're going to enforce the QB skirt rules, they gotta be fair and call them all of the time or none of the time.
I agree with this. But I feel if you can't take a hit go play golf. This is a contact sport with grown men running full speed.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with this. But I feel if you can't take a hit go play golf. This is a contact sport with grown men running full speed.

And to get the call, sometimes you need to embellish and do more acting. (The better WR's in the league for example on the PI calls) or Brady/Manning. Get the free yards.

P

POP

Is he still alive?. I don't know, listening to the media , it's as if he was shot, stabbed, beaten and left for dead. We have never ever ever seen a QB or maybe any other human take a beating like that.

Somebody must be held accountable for this atrocity. We know that every time a helmet touches another, it's a concussion. That's just fact and if you disagree then you are a horrible person.

That pretty much sums up the Cam Newton coverage.

I watched the game and in can only think of 3 hits to the head area.

1 the big hit that was flagged.

2 Cam gets sacked by Ware from one side and the hit throws him into Miller from the other side and their helmets lightly touch. Collinsworth wet his pants over it. I didn't think it was anything. Cam was hurt but clutching at his leg, not his head. He did not seem phased at all.

3 a Broncos LB is about the sack Cam who throws the ball, the LB then lets up and as he passes by Cam, his arm grazes Cam's helmet as Cam is starting to duck. Very minor contact.

So what am I missing that they are acting like Denver was hitting Cam late and in the head like every other play?.

I get it that concussions are bad and you want to protect but can we stop with the hysteria and guilt trip whenever a replay shows in slow motion that somebody's helmet was touched?. There are team doctors and independent doctors looking at these players and they saw no reason to pull Cam, so why must we hear all these media types diagnose every player with concussion?

If you are so morally conflicted watching football then stop watching it. Stop profiting from football while also shaming others for enjoying it. But that's just it. These people are not actually upset. They just want to get the kudos and belly rubs that are assured when you forward the PC agenda.

I don't think each hit was as soft as you indicate above. Watching the game, my impression was Cam was taking some hard shots in the game.

Considering the plethora of upcoming lawsuits re: concussions, it isn't a complete non-story.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not saying he didn't take some hard hits, but I saw nothing out of the ordinary from a typical game. He only took 1 illegal shot. Cam, like Ben takes more shots because he holds the ball and Cam also runs the ball.

There are media people calling for rule changes and people to be fired and they are subtly trying to imply its racist that Cam doesn't get as many roughing calls.

Ok just tired of these media clowns trying to create stories. It's as if they have admitted defeat to blogs and Twitter for actual game coverage and the so called real media now feels their job is to talk about "issues". Talking about the actual games would be beneath them now.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
I loved ever minute of it. The smug attitude beaten by a rookie and now Newton's Daddy feels bias by the officials, The race card once again from Dad when son gets beat.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Cam is a victim of his size, just as Ben is/was.

high hits - helmet to helmet
von-miller-cam-newton-090916-getty-ftrjpg_l1dqv8tk18121nsbn9jamp5d3.jpg

PANTHERS_BRONCOS_52

and Cam downplayed all the helmet to helmet hits, saying he doesnt think he was being targeted.

" superman " is a cry baby and sore loser. If you don't want to get hit, stop running and get rid of the football sooner.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I'll send him some tampons for his cracked mangina ego. Got beat twice in a row . I guess they're just not good enough.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Excellent point.
I loved ever minute of it. The smug attitude beaten by a rookie and now Newton's Daddy feels bias by the officials, The race card once again from Dad when son gets beat.
Really? Glad I don't read that much into it...

ark steel

Reaction score
He got hits with no flags where other QBs would have. The rules may suck, but not as bad as selectively enforcement.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
boumonte jones on espn radio today saying ben gets preferential treatment in comparison to Cam newton. SMH

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
And to get the call, sometimes you need to embellish and do more acting. (The better WR's in the league for example on the PI calls) or Brady/Manning. Get the free yards.

To be honest. I think Brady got more treatment than Manning. For the rest of the league, penalties are too inconsistent. But watch any major pro sport with contact and you'll see refs aren't perfect

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I have no respect for Bomani because he is a very well educated black man who puts on a street accent as a performance. He has a master's degree in economics and another it politics. His parents are professors and activists, although these days that may be redundant.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say Ben gets hit about 1 in 10 times AFTER he releases the ball. And 2 in 10 of THOSE is to the head.

And of all those, he may get one or two flags - a season...

Sorry Cam. No sympathy from the Steeler faithful whatsoever.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know if people are familiar with the college rules. They have a separate call of Targeting, which basically means any hit that looks bad. They can call targeting alone or personal foul with targeting.

Targeting alone means the hit looked bad but the ref isn't sure so he calls targeting. Replay then reviews the call to see if a blow was delivered to the head. If they uphold targeting, then it's 15 yards and the defensive player is ejected. This ejection is for either 2 quarters or a full game, I forget, and it carries over to the next game.

If the review says it was not targeting then no ejection and no penalty.

Targeting with personal foul is similar except even if the review says it was not targeting and the players is not ejected, the 15 yard penalty still applies.

I watched a Minnesota game last week where Minn had 3 guys ejected on 3 different marginal calls.

This rule is an overreaction. The refs are told to call targeting when it's even closed because it will be reviewed. The problem is that those doing the reviewing don't want to be called out on it either so they end up calling most things targeting.

P

POP

I'm not saying he didn't take some hard hits, but I saw nothing out of the ordinary from a typical game. He only took 1 illegal shot. Cam, like Ben takes more shots because he holds the ball and Cam also runs the ball.

There are media people calling for rule changes and people to be fired and they are subtly trying to imply its racist that Cam doesn't get as many roughing calls.

Ok just tired of these media clowns trying to create stories. It's as if they have admitted defeat to blogs and Twitter for actual game coverage and the so called real media now feels their job is to talk about "issues". Talking about the actual games would be beneath them now.

There was that one instance last season when a ref told Cam, "You're too young to get a roughing call for that hit" and Cam got a super pissed look on his face. I have kind of picked on the implied racist thing. I don't think that is in play as much as Cam being so huge and athletic, that hits seems less violent or dangerous when it's him as opposed to Brady or Rogers taking a shot. Ben should get more flags thrown on some of the shots he takes and presumable doesn't because he is so big.

C

Clete

Loved watching the stupid arrogant thug scream out my game my game when they were up by 10 and then he folds like the uneducated tool he is. It is always about Cam he pouted after winning the NC at Aurburnn when his running back was the MVP of the game and the media ignored him in the locker room, guy is a cancer.