• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 13

Went to the Penn State game tonight. Stadium was probably 75% full, student section was probably 50% full. Understandable, being Thanksgiving weekend and a mostly meaningless game.

Penn State looked good for the first quarter and a half. Offense didn’t come out of the locker room in the second half until there was about eight minutes to go in the game. Defense was suspect in the second half also.

Fun to be there, but man, the atmosphere was subdued compared to previous trips to Happy Valley. Whole thing was odd. Still, we had a blast, hung out with some cool people. Looking forward to next year.

Caleb Williams just won the Heisman.

Playoff Ranking most likely and next opponent
1 Georgia - SEC Champ vs LSU
2 Michigan - BIG 10 Champ vs Purdue
3 TCU - Big 12 Champ vs Kansas State
4 USC - Pac 12 Champ vs TBD - looks like Oregon, Utah or Wash (if they beat Wash State). Don't know the tiebreakers
5 Alabama - done
6 Ohio State - done
7 Tennessee - done
8 Penn State - done

I expect that 2 loss Bama will be ahead of 1 loss OSU because SEC. The top 4 looks set unless there's a pretty big upset. TCU beat K State by 10 earlier in the year. USC lost by 1 point to Utah but USC is a much better team now.

Went to the Penn State game tonight. Stadium was probably 75% full, student section was probably 50% full. Understandable, being Thanksgiving weekend and a mostly meaningless game.

Penn State looked good for the first quarter and a half. Offense didn’t come out of the locker room in the second half until there was about eight minutes to go in the game. Defense was suspect in the second half also.

Fun to be there, but man, the atmosphere was subdued compared to previous trips to Happy Valley. Whole thing was odd. Still, we had a blast, hung out with some cool people. Looking forward to next year.

The offense really misses Parker Washington. The OL is missing 2 starters and you can see that they have trouble in pass protection. That's why PSU uses so many 3 TE sets and why they use that T formation with 3 in the backfield so often. Clifford was under immediate pressure on a lot of straight dropbacks.

This was the first game they missed Joey Porter on defense. I lost track of how many desperation heaves the MSU QB completed.

It was great to see Clifford go out with a big game. He made clutch plays to win the game. He has taken so much criticism from fans. He makes his share of mistakes but nobody plays harder. He's mostly played behind a swiss cheese OL and still manages to win games.

Parker Washington is done for the year. Franklin said the LT Fashanu and Joey Porter will be back. We'll see if any players opt out of the bowl. Probably won't know Penn State's bowl until after the playoff is announced because they are still in play for the Rose.

The offense really misses Parker Washington. The OL is missing 2 starters and you can see that they have trouble in pass protection. That's why PSU uses so many 3 TE sets and why they use that T formation with 3 in the backfield so often. Clifford was under immediate pressure on a lot of straight dropbacks.

This was the first game they missed Joey Porter on defense. I lost track of how many desperation heaves the MSU QB completed.

It was great to see Clifford go out with a big game. He made clutch plays to win the game. He has taken so much criticism from fans. He makes his share of mistakes but nobody plays harder. He's mostly played behind a swiss cheese OL and still manages to win games.

Parker Washington is done for the year. Franklin said the LT Fashanu and Joey Porter will be back. We'll see if any players opt out of the bowl. Probably won't know Penn State's bowl until after the playoff is announced because they are still in play for the Rose.
Fashanu and Porter back next year as in not declaring for the draft?

Not an OSU fan but the only team that should possibly move ahead of them in the top 4 is USC. Alabama should stay at 6 with their 2 losses and multiple crappy games. They are not that good this year. Even though USC's competition in their conference is crap, if they win their conference championship, it will be hard to put them behind OSU no matter what you think of the two conferences. The Big 10 is a tough conference from top to bottom as is the SEC. I hate Hairball and Michigan but I want to see them play Georgia for the championship.
1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. USC
5. Ohio State
6. Alabama
7. Tennessee
8. Penn State

My Aztecs sure buffed against a pretty good Air Force team. We're sucking this year.

Well maybe next year ND will not be in top five start of year, overrated. Ohio State finally showed their weakness and paid dearly. Losing like they did at home no way they deserve to go to championship games. TCU made believers out of many with the wipe out game. Southern Cal well they got great cheerleaders even my wife said so and looked impressive. Was a fun day of college football plus N Carolina State beat North Carolina

Not an OSU fan but the only team that should possibly move ahead of them in the top 4 is USC. Alabama should stay at 6 with their 2 losses and multiple crappy games. They are not that good this year. Even though USC's competition in their conference is crap, if they win their conference championship, it will be hard to put them behind OSU no matter what you think of the two conferences. The Big 10 is a tough conference from top to bottom as is the SEC. I hate Hairball and Michigan but I want to see them play Georgia for the championship.
1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. USC
5. Ohio State
6. Alabama
7. Tennessee
8. Penn State
Who’s all this tough competition in the Big 10 this year? Once you get past the top three the conference is average like the rest of them.

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. USC
5. Ohio State
6. Alabama
7. Tennessee
8. Penn State
Exactly what I was thinking...USC has to be the number 4....The rest are all program fillers for the bowl games ASUMING they 4 all win the Championship games.....One or two loses and then what? Michigan is almost a guarantee. Georgia too. But TCU vs K-State I don't know about, and USC isn't good enough to guarantee they beat U-State.....Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Exactly what I was thinking...USC has to be the number 4....The rest are all program fillers for the bowl games ASUMING they 4 all win the Championship games.....One or two loses and then what? Michigan is almost a guarantee. Georgia too. But TCU vs K-State I don't know about, and USC isn't good enough to guarantee they beat U-State.....Stay tuned.
USC is playing Utah, not Utah State

Welp, yesterday was a 2nd straight year of utter humiliation, but, I always knew tOSU'S dominance over Michigan wouldnt last forever. @Pittsburgh Charlie, congrats on your Wolverines knocking the Buckeyes' dick in the dirt yet again, I think Michigan has a very decent chance to win it all, assuming they get healthy by New Year's Eve. Ryan Day, your just-for-men beard-colored punkass is officially on notice. If you lose a 3rd straight game to UM next season, you need to get the **** out of Columbus. Urban Meyer's influence is 100% gone now, this is your team, your product, and quite frankly, it's not that impressive. Your Buckeye teams are mentally soft and cant handle it when they're not playing cupcakes, and no, we're not all that impressed with your playcalling. You are John Cooper part 2

Fashanu and Porter back next year as in not declaring for the draft?

Back for the bowl. Porter is a Sr and likely gone. I'm seeing Fashanu talked about as a potential top 10 pick so if that's the case you have to expect he's gone, but you never know, he may decide to stay 1 more year because he's still pretty raw. I expect both to leave for draft.

Franklin made a point of saying Porter would be back because many assumed he was sitting out already because of the draft, but he was out for an appendectomy.

Welp, yesterday was a 2nd straight year of utter humiliation, but, I always knew tOSU'S dominance over Michigan wouldnt last forever. @Pittsburgh Charlie, congrats on your Wolverines knocking the Buckeyes' dick in the dirt yet again, I think Michigan has a very decent chance to win it all, assuming they get healthy by New Year's Eve. Ryan Day, your just-for-men beard-colored punkass is officially on notice. If you lose a 3rd straight game to UM next season, you need to get the **** out of Columbus. Urban Meyer's influence is 100% gone now, this is your team, your product, and quite frankly, it's not that impressive. Your Buckeye teams are mentally soft and cant handle it when they're not playing cupcakes, and no, we're not all that impressed with your playcalling. You are John Cooper part 2

I had similar thoughts but i was told that as a PSU fan, i'm not allowed to think them.

In other semi OSU related news. Looks like Luke Fickell going to Wisconsin. Fickell got the OSU job before he was ready. If he does a good job at Wisky and Day continues to struggle vs Mich or God forbid, lose to Penn State, maybe Fickell will be back at OSU around 2025 or so.

Lots of Penn State fans are wanting Matt Ruhle. Could be a similar situation. If Franklin can't get PSU into the playoff in the next 2 years, they might be looking to Ruhle assuming he turns Nebraska around.

New AP poll just dropped
1 Georgia
2 Michigan
3 TCU
4 USC
5 Ohio State
6 Alabama
7 Tennessee
8 Penn State

We'll have to see the playoff ranking on Tues. I still won't be surprised to see Bama 5 in the playoff ranking. If Ohio State is 5 in the playoff poll, it means they are just 1 upset away from the playoffs, which would mean PSU is 1 upset from the Rose Bowl.

I'm kinda surprised that OSU is ranked above Alabama. Alabama may have two losses, but they haven't been completely blowed out, at home.