• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 4

great game for PSU today. Not that they played great but that Central Mich played a great game and gave PSU a real challenge. There will be lots of film to learn after this one. PSU went up 14-0 and then went to sleep. Didn't wake up until lat in the half.

C Mich is coached by former Florida HC Jim Mcelwayne (sp). They had a great gameplan. Really went for the win. They were aggressive on offense and on defense. It must have surprised PSU for a MAC team to crowd the box and play lots of cover zero with tight man coverage.

Penn State's WRs had a tough game. The tight coverage meant opportunities for big plays but they weren't getting much separation. Also, they had some drops and a bunch of contested catches that they did not make. Again, probably because they were surprised by the man coverage but moving forward, it's great that they had this experience as this is something they may see down the road. Still playing lots of young players who are learning.

RB Nick Singleton has gotten all the attention because of the big plays, but I think the other freshman Kaytron Allen is actually the better RB right now. He has excellent vision and plays like a more experienced player. SIngleton still has more upside with physical gifts but Allen is more polished right now. They should be an outstdning combos for years.

Penn State has one of the best Punters i've ever seen. Not in terms of leg, but in terms of killing it inside the 10 or 5. I just figured it was luck the first few times but this guy had done it multiple times in every game,. The ball just dies when it hits the ground and PSU has stuck teams insdie the 5 in each game this year. I've seen Punters do that before but never so consistantly. He's essentially done it every single time this year.

The punter Barney Amor was the guy who was given the scholarship at the end of the Eli Manning video. Well earned.

The difference in this Tenn game is that Florida has had some tough battles against Utah and Kentucky. This is Tennessee's first real battle. Pitt may have been a battle if they were full strength. Florida is just more battle hardened and it is showing right now.

Richardson is so erratic. He really is like a RB that throws. Makes Tebow look like Joe Montana as a passer.

great game for PSU today. Not that they played great but that Central Mich played a great game and gave PSU a real challenge. There will be lots of film to learn after this one. PSU went up 14-0 and then went to sleep. Didn't wake up until lat in the half.

C Mich is coached by former Florida HC Jim Mcelwayne (sp). They had a great gameplan. Really went for the win. They were aggressive on offense and on defense. It must have surprised PSU for a MAC team to crowd the box and play lots of cover zero with tight man coverage.

Penn State's WRs had a tough game. The tight coverage meant opportunities for big plays but they weren't getting much separation. Also, they had some drops and a bunch of contested catches that they did not make. Again, probably because they were surprised by the man coverage but moving forward, it's great that they had this experience as this is something they may see down the road. Still playing lots of young players who are learning.

RB Nick Singleton has gotten all the attention because of the big plays, but I think the other freshman Kaytron Allen is actually the better RB right now. He has excellent vision and plays like a more experienced player. SIngleton still has more upside with physical gifts but Allen is more polished right now. They should be an outstdning combos for years.

Penn State has one of the best Punters i've ever seen. Not in terms of leg, but in terms of killing it inside the 10 or 5. I just figured it was luck the first few times but this guy had done it multiple times in every game,. The ball just dies when it hits the ground and PSU has stuck teams insdie the 5 in each game this year. I've seen Punters do that before but never so consistantly. He's essentially done it every single time this year.

The punter Barney Amor was the guy who was given the scholarship at the end of the Eli Manning video. Well earned.
Sounds like excuses to me...

The difference in this Tenn game is that Florida has had some tough battles against Utah and Kentucky. This is Tennessee's first real battle. Pitt may have been a battle if they were full strength. Florida is just more battle hardened and it is showing right now.

Richardson is so erratic. He really is like a RB that throws. Makes Tebow look like Joe Montana as a passer.
Tennessee beat Pitt by 7 in OT. It was a battle even against Pitt's backup QB who couldn't move with a high ankle sprain.

Michigan State is getting hammered at home.

Sounds like excuses to me...

what part? the part where i basically said PSU didn't play well and still has things to learn? Penn State did manage to win by a bigger margin than Georgia did vs Kent State and I'd bet Georgia's coaches can't wait to go over that film with their kids to show them how you can't coast against anybody. But maybe I'm making excuses for Georgia now.

Tennessee beat Pitt by 7 in OT. It was a battle even against Pitt's backup QB who couldn't move with a high ankle sprain.

The injuries gave Tenn's defense a break. Tenn defense had a breather for a long stretch while Pitt's offense sputtered after Slovis went down. It didn't have the full 60 minute intensity of a conference game. That's all. Tenn has way more talent than Florida, I still think that Kentucky game in particular gave Florida an edge early in this one.

That fumble was a killer for Florida. There were in it but now it's pretty much over. Richardson is so streaky though that he may be able to come close but doesn't seem like enough time for 3 scoring drives to come back.

what part? the part where i basically said PSU didn't play well and still has things to learn? Penn State did manage to win by a bigger margin than Georgia did vs Kent State and I'd bet Georgia's coaches can't wait to go over that film with their kids to show them how you can't coast against anybody. But maybe I'm making excuses for Georgia now.
I'm gonna look for your comments about Bama's one point win over Texas, who is waaay better than Kent State and Central Michigan.

I'm tipsy so it'll take a while...

I was impressed with their first two drives but after that Central Michigan woke up and played them tough the rest of the game - turnovers and penalties killed CMU. The PSU team we saw today didn't have the pass rush they're going to need to compete in the rest of their schedule. BTW, what years did you go to PSU or are you just a fan of the team?

So Tennessee is up 38 - 21, 4:48 left and Flordia scores a touch down so it's 38-27, extra point puts Florida down by 10. They went for two and didn't get it. Why did they go for 2? WTF

So Flordia scored again, so they had to go for two to make it a 3 point game with 17 seconds left. They didn't get it so down by 5. They recovered onside kick at their 47, now they've moved it to Tennessee 38 but they gotta get a touchdown because their Jackass head coach inexplicably went for two, four and a half minutes earlier on the prior touchdown. Pick six on desperation pass because what could of been field possession for a field goal if they gained ten more yards turned into desperation pass.