• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Conspiracy Wig is watching ..

xjx

Reaction score
Realistically it will likely be 6 years. Once the money gets appropriated democrats reach in to get some....and it will always be short on money.

Remember all that money that was given to schools to change the ac air flow because of covid. Any schools you know of ever do that? What happened to the money?

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
There has to be a good trans-gender contracting company out there that can save us all.
only allah can save you

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I saw fella last night who suggested that they kicked the engine into reverse and if they had lost rudder control that may have caused the boat to begin twisting in the channel.

Still, it sure LOOKS like that boat just turns and heads right for the pylon... I don't know.
Report is that when it lost power the captain dropped one of the anchors to try and turn the ship away from the bridge. Most of the videos you see on TV are sped up to save time.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, but he dropped the left anchor, not the right. If the anchor was a factor it should have pulled the ship port-side, away from the support.

Unless my physics are wonky.

xjx

Reaction score
Laura Logans is reporting this was terrorism.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Yes, but he dropped the left anchor, not the right. If the anchor was a factor it should have pulled the ship port-side, away from the support.

Unless my physics are wonky.
I heard it was the left rear anchor. Being in the rear it would have turned the ship away from the bridge. Not soon enough, obviously.
Also, on a boat it's not "left", it's "port".

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
Clearly these ships are getting way bigger and that bridge was not going to be able to continue to support said ships.

The bridge needed to be removed and updated. ………but how……🤔

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
As a previous Uncle Sam Pirate, I can tell you, there are many factors that would have come into play. Currents play havoc with ships under normal power, let alone a ship experiencing power issues. In an attempt to slow forward progress they would most likely have gone full a stern. At that point the rudder becomes your enemy as far as trying to control directional stability. My guess is that that ship was not equipped with directional screws or even thrusters. So, the rudder would be in the wrong position for an emergency full a stern situation. The shaft/s would also take time to change direction, when in open seas, this causes erratic movements, but there normally is nothing to hit. Couple that with intermittent power failures and all kinds of hell breaks out.

We almost hit the bridge at Astoria on our way to Portland once, and that was going up stream at the transition to low tide. All that water moving around has way more power than you can possibly imagine. This to me doesn't look to me as an intentional act, but the power issues could have been.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I heard it was the left rear anchor. Being in the rear it would have turned the ship away from the bridge. Not soon enough, obviously.
Also, on a boat it's not "left", it's "port".
Not necessarily, that anchor would have been dragged for a period of time as the anchor chain settled onto the bottom. Contrary to what most people think, the anchor is not a brake or a means to prevent the ship moving. The anchor itself is only a small part of the mechanism to arrest ships movement, the chain is the biggest part. You also have to take into account how moving that MASSIVE amount of weight changes the ballasting of the vessel. Initial deployment of the anchor will cause the ship to move in the opposite direction initially.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Not necessarily, that anchor would have been dragged for a period of time as the anchor chain settled onto the bottom. Contrary to what most people think, the anchor is not a brake or a means to prevent the ship moving. The anchor itself is only a small part of the mechanism to arrest ships movement, the chain is the biggest part. You also have to take into account how moving that MASSIVE amount of weight changes the ballasting of the vessel. Initial deployment of the anchor will cause the ship to move in the opposite direction initially.
I get that, I have a PA boating license, but with the ship not having any power it was probably the only option the captain had.

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
As a previous Uncle Sam Pirate, I can tell you, there are many factors that would have come into play. Currents play havoc with ships under normal power, let alone a ship experiencing power issues. In an attempt to slow forward progress they would most likely have gone full a stern. At that point the rudder becomes your enemy as far as trying to control directional stability. My guess is that that ship was not equipped with directional screws or even thrusters. So, the rudder would be in the wrong position for an emergency full a stern situation. The shaft/s would also take time to change direction, when in open seas, this causes erratic movements, but there normally is nothing to hit. Couple that with intermittent power failures and all kinds of hell breaks out.

We almost hit the bridge at Astoria on our way to Portland once, and that was going up stream at the transition to low tide. All that water moving around has way more power than you can possibly imagine. This to me doesn't look to me as an intentional act, but the power issues could have been.
Navy!?! 😳

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Seriously MT. Ron has a boating license so stfu! 😜😂😂😂
For a much smaller boat but the principles are the same. Drop the rear port anchor will turn the ship to the left, which from the video would seem to be what you want to do, but as MT said, it isn't going to happen right away. We'll find out more later and it's premature to speculate too much but I'm just thinking that the captain figured that under the circumstances that was his best or only option. As MT said, if you have no power, which appears to be the case, then you're pretty much at the mercy of the current and/or wind. Ships that size catch A LOT of wind.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
After watching the video again, a few more things become apparent. All that I know from experience relate to steam powered systems, and is outdated, except for the physics of things. There seems to have been a power failure, as seen by the lights going out. At that point the emergency generator kicks in and the lights come back on. The plume of black smoke indicates that something changes but they are at maximum fuel expenditure. Then everything really goes to ****.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
If this were a terrorist attack...it wouldn't have happened at 1:30 in the morning.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
I don't think it was terrorism - terrorists wouldn't have done it in the middle of the night when there was hardly any traffic on the bridge. Could have been a suicidal captain.
😂 Suicide by steering a cargo ship going all of 10 mph into a bridge. Dude.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score