• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Contract Details Revealed for Trubisky

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers signed Mitchell Trubisky today to a two year 14 million dollar deal according to Albert Breer of NFL Network.

New Steelers QB Mitchell Trubisky is set to sign a two-year deal with a base value of $14 million, per source. Reasonable price for Pittsburgh, good opportunity for Trubisky.

— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) March 15, 2022

The deal gives Trubisky a nice raise from the 2.5 million dollar deal that the Buffalo Bills gave him to back up Josh Allen.

The deal also comes in at quite a bit less than it was projected that Trubisky would get on the open market. Many national media believed that Trubisky would command over 10 million per season when free agency started.

More details of the contract will be released eventually, we expect there to be several incentives that could get Trubisky a few million more if he succeeds for the Steelers.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Wow. Good for Trubisky for taking a gamble out on himself as well as the Steelers for not overpaying. I hope this kid plays his heart out and can show why he was chosen second overall

Niiiiice. Team friendly deal. They're paying peanuts on a two year "prove it deal".

Seems like a good price $$$ now lets hope he has gas to play hard and accurate.

He will be starter come season. There is always a punchers chance but Rudy showed he can't punch.

Salute the nation

Seems like a good price $$$ now lets hope he has gas to play hard and accurate.

He will be starter come season. There is always a punchers chance but Rudy showed he can't punch.

Salute the nation
He usually just turtles up and gets beat with his helmet

So, a very IDEAL contract for the situation the STEELERS are in. Cousins just signed a $35 mil 1 year contract. I'm not saying Mitch is an equal but I am saying we got a hell of a deal money wise.

Salute the nation

So, a very IDEAL contract for the situation the STEELERS are in. Cousins just signed a $35 mil 1 year contract. I'm not saying Mitch is an equal but I am saying we got a hell of a deal money wise.

Salute the nation
Technically that 1 yr contract was an option year that the Vikings accepted. It was on his numbers for this year already when I was doing my QB research.

I’m definitely pleased with this move, but similarly disappointed that, with such a cap friendly deal and the cap space the Steelers came in with, why not be bigger players for better O line signings, as well as CB?

Not saying they could have grabbed Jackson before LA did, but Ward out of KC seems to have been very reasonably in reach, cap wise?

Heck, depending on any signing bonus for Trubisky, the Steelers have minimum $20mil+ still available. They could free up more with some smart restructures, which they usually do, but seem pretty quiet on this off-season?

I’m ok with the terms. Teams were very interested as the QB carousel had a few teams left in need. I’m curious what Marcus Mariota signs for because he wasn’t too far off from Trubisky in my book. He had elite SPARQ coming out of college and had two years learning from Gruden and love him or hate him Gruden has always been a QB developer. Now there’s really only 3 teams in my opinion with needs at QB left. Seattle, Giants and probably the Browns.

I’m not upset at the deal even if Trubisky gets a little more guaranteed money than Mariota. We needed competition for Rudolph. Haskins hasn’t shown he was going to provide that as Rudolph easily held on to the backup position last year. Now we have that.

I do think this prevents us from drafting any QB round one. I’m glad about that too. I think we need a starter in round one and no QB was walking in day one and beating out Rudolph. Not at least in this draft. I am however still interested enough in Sam Howell to grab him if he slides a little. Probably not a popular opinion after this signing but I still feel Howell is probably the best long term solution at QB. And the fact Rudolph and Haskins are on one year deals and if Trubisky can’t do much he is likely cut after the season. So having a guy waiting in the wings might not be too bad of an idea. And at the very least he’d be an inexpensive backup for 4 years.

I’m ok with the terms. Teams were very interested as the QB carousel had a few teams left in need. I’m curious what Marcus Mariota signs for because he wasn’t too far off from Trubisky in my book. He had elite SPARQ coming out of college and had two years learning from Gruden and love him or hate him Gruden has always been a QB developer. Now there’s really only 3 teams in my opinion with needs at QB left. Seattle, Giants and probably the Browns.

I’m not upset at the deal even if Trubisky gets a little more guaranteed money than Mariota. We needed competition for Rudolph. Haskins hasn’t shown he was going to provide that as Rudolph easily held on to the backup position last year. Now we have that.

I do think this prevents us from drafting any QB round one. I’m glad about that too. I think we need a starter in round one and no QB was walking in day one and beating out Rudolph. Not at least in this draft. I am however still interested enough in Sam Howell to grab him if he slides a little. Probably not a popular opinion after this signing but I still feel Howell is probably the best long term solution at QB. And the fact Rudolph and Haskins are on one year deals and if Trubisky can’t do much he is likely cut after the season. So having a guy waiting in the wings might not be too bad of an idea. And at the very least he’d be an inexpensive backup for 4 years.

In this scenario would haskins eventually be cut? Do we try and hide one on the practise squad......?

2 funal 53 assuming Mitch & Mason, third would be Howell the 3rd or ?

Thanks for your input Ford and answer

Salute the nation

Salute the nation

In this scenario would haskins eventually be cut? Do we try and hide one on the practise squad......?

2 funal 53 assuming Mitch & Mason, third would be Howell the 3rd or ?

Thanks for your input Ford and answer

Salute the nation

Salute the nation
I think if they drafted Howell lets say in round 3. They’d have Trubisky, Rudolph, and Haskins as top three going into camp. I feel likely Haskins falls behind those two quickly and then he ends up in competition with Howell for the third QB spot. Whether Haskins beats out Howell or not probably doesn’t matter as the third round investment would keep Howell on the team and Haskins would likely be cut.

This isn’t a likely scenario as I feel a guy would have to fall really far for the Steelers to draft them. Likely, whoever wins Trubisky or Rudolph stay in 2023. If it’s Trubisky then he’s signing. If it’s Rudolph I feel he’d get tagged. Don’t know if we’d keep that much invested in QB so Trubisky would likely be cut.

I think if they drafted Howell lets say in round 3. They’d have Trubisky, Rudolph, and Haskins as top three going into camp. I feel likely Haskins falls behind those two quickly and then he ends up in competition with Howell for the third QB spot. Whether Haskins beats out Howell or not probably doesn’t matter as the third round investment would keep Howell on the team and Haskins would likely be cut.

This isn’t a likely scenario as I feel a guy would have to fall really far for the Steelers to draft them. Likely, whoever wins Trubisky or Rudolph stay in 2023. If it’s Trubisky then he’s signing. If it’s Rudolph I feel he’d get tagged. Don’t know if we’d keep that much invested in QB so Trubisky would likely be cut.

Thanks Ford great post.!

Salute the nation

Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Giants agreed to terms with Tyrod Taylor on a two-year, $11 million deal worth up to $17 million. $8.5 million is guaranteed, which is a huge investment for a backup quarterback on a team that didn't have much to spend in free agency.

It's on to NFL team No. 6 for Teddy Bridgewater. On Monday, the former Denver Broncos quarterback inked a one-year, $6.5 million free-agent contract with the Miami Dolphins. The incentive-laden deal, worth up to $10 million, is fully guaranteed and includes a $2 million signing bonus, per Spotrac.

When you look at what Tyrod signed for as a backup to Jones,I’d say the Steelers did quite well.
Lot more optimistic about Mitch vs Bridgewater or Taylor. Time will tell.