• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Damning report on Bush-Cheney torture

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Confirms most everything we thought we knew about Bush/Cheney war crimes. I imagine we all agree those responsible should be held fully accountable.

http://thinkprogress.org/world/2014/12/09/3601209/cia-torture-report-findings/

On Tuesday, the Senate Intelligence Committee released a summary of a 6,000 page report investigating the CIA’s use of enhanced interrogation techniques in the aftermath of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Though former Bush administration officials — who officially approved the methods in August of 2002 — have argued that the revelations could endanger American security at home and abroad, the report completely discredits the former president’s long-standing claims that torture prevented attacks against America and helped capture high value terrorist targets. Below are its most damning revelations:

1. Torture didn’t stop a single terrorist attack. “At no time did the CIA’s coercive interrogation techniques lead to the collection of imminent threat intelligence, such as the hypothetical ‘ticking time bomb’ information that many believe was the justification for the use of these techniques.”

2. The CIA lied about the success of torture in obtaining intelligence. Even though the CIA cited numerous examples of success, the report found that those instances could not be attributed to torture and that “n some cases, there was no relationship between the claimed counterterrorism ‘success’ and any information provided by a CIA detainee during or after the use of the CIA’s enhanced interrogation techniques.” Ultimately, the “CIA representations were inaccurate and contradicted by the CIA’s own records. The CIA’s internal review also identified numerous inaccuracies in the CIA’s effectiveness representations—including representations to the President.” The CIA also misrepresented the reactions of senators who objected to the torture program, like Sens. John McCain (R-AZ) and Ron Wyden (D-OR). The CIA “informed the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel in classified settings that no senators had objected to the enhanced interrogation techniques that the CIA then sought to use against detainees. ”

3. Not everyone approved of the torture policy. “Internally, CIA officers regularly called into question the effectiveness of the CIA’s interrogation techniques, noting how the techniques failed to elicit detainee cooperation or produce accurate intelligence.”

4. The torture methods were far more brutal than originally reported. The “CIA applied its so-called enhanced interrogation techniques in near non-stop fashion for days or weeks at a time.” Detainees were forced to stay awake for up to 180 hours while “standing or in painful stress positions, at times with their hands shackled above their heads.” Some were kept in a “dungeon” that was completely dark and were “constantly shackled in isolated cells with loud noise or music and only a bucket to use for human waste. ” At least one detainee was told he could only leave CIA custody “in a coffin-shaped box.” The government also rectally force-fed detainees.

5. Water-boarding caused physical harm. Even though the CIA had told the Department of Justice that water-boarding did not physically harm detainees, the report concludes that it induces “convulsions and vomiting.” During one session, Saudi Arabian al Qaeda-linked Saudi citizen Abu Zubaydah became “completely unresponsive with bubbles rising through his open full mouth.”

UPDATE
President Obama released a statement responding to the torture report revelations on Tuesday. Expressing gratitude for those who worked “to devastate core al Qaeda, deliver justice to Osama bin Laden, disrupt terrorist operations and thwart terrorist attacks,” the President distanced himself from Bush-era torture policies, saying the report “reinforces my long-held view that these harsh methods were not only inconsistent with our values as nation, they did not serve our broader counterterrorism efforts or our national security interests. Moreover, these techniques did significant damage to America’s standing in the world and made it harder to pursue our interests with allies and partners.”

“Rather than another reason to refight old arguments, I hope that today’s report can help us leave these techniques where they belong—in the past,” the statement concludes. “Today is also a reminder that upholding the values we profess doesn’t make us weaker, it makes us stronger and that the United States of America will remain the greatest force for freedom and human dignity that the world has ever known.”

The CIA should use their torture methods on Obama.

And every time I see a video of those planes crashing into the twin towers, I say, 'Yaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!" Those cockroaches deserved far worse.

But....bash Bush at all costs.

5. Water-boarding caused physical harm. Even though the CIA had told the Department of Justice that water-boarding did not physically harm detainees, the report concludes that it induces “convulsions and vomiting.” During one session, Saudi Arabian al Qaeda-linked Saudi citizen Abu Zubaydah became “completely unresponsive with bubbles rising through his open full mouth.”

Big friggn' deal.

But vaporizing terrorists, even if they are US citizens, with drone strikes without getting ANY information, is a better process?

**** those Islamic head slicing pig *******. And **** the morons dumping out Intel like this who put our people at risk all around the world. The only mistake they made was not keeping it under deeper cover and then killing these ***** after they got what they needed. Just another distraction by our imperial president and all of his lawless unconstitutional bullshit.

boo hoo they played loud music and i couldn't sleep without my binky...sniff sniff...oh the horror...the horror..

Yeah, I (still) don't care.

Why did it take 12 years and how much did that cost?

Good thing Bomma closed Gitmo and stopped that stuff then.

Convulsions and vomiting and gasp! Bubbles coming out of their mouths. They actually thought they might die? Oh I am in tears...oh the inhumanity...

Oh wait, these are the guys who slaughtered thousands of innocent men women and children and would happily saw my head off with a dull knife. Never mind...

This report is absolutely not, and I repeat, NOT, politically motivated.

To quote that astute scholar, wanna be president " at this point what difference does it really make?"

The CIA should use their torture methods on Obama.

It's all part of Obama's scorched earth plan for America

bV0LmYG.jpg

OHswsXt.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm....who to believe...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...a5f520-7fc6-11e4-81fd-8c4814dfa9d7_story.html

“Our review indicates that interrogations of detainees on whom [enhanced interrogation techniques] were used did produce intelligence that helped thwart attack plans, capture terrorists, and save lives,” Brennan said in the statement. “The intelligence gained from the program was critical to our understanding of al-Qa’ida and continues to inform our counterterrorism efforts to this day.”

As evidence of how the program contributed to the government’s broader effort to fight terrorism, a CIA fact sheet released along with Brennan’s statement cited the case of Ammar al-Baluchi, who was subjected to the severe tactics and was the first detainee to reveal that Abu Ahmed al-Kuwaiti worked as a courier to convey messages for Osama bin Laden after the late al-Qaeda leader left Afghanistan.

The fact sheet stated that the agency “takes no position” on whether the intelligence information gained through its enhanced interrogation techniques “could have been obtained through other means or from other individuals. The answer to this question is, and will remain, unknowable.”

Need something to deflect the Gruber testimony today.

President Bush and VP Cheney, thank you for your service, and thank you for keeping my family safe during your tenure. I know some of the decisions you had to make were difficult, but these are difficult times. We are in a war, one which knows no borders. A war against animals that behead innocents, and a foe that should be treated like animals in return. Unfortunately the cuckold we now have in the White House has made the world a more dangerous place.God help us.

"Enhanced interrogations" are NOT torture for one. Second, this was a totally libertard progressive report. The CIA and everyone involved with the "enhanced interrogations" say they gave us a ton of good intelligence. This is a total political play that puts Americans and our nations security in danger. Even Obama admitted to this. How any politician can put Americans and our country in danger is beyond me. I hope everyone of them gets booted out on their next election. Absolutely despicable!

I dare anyone to watch the footage of the people trapped in the towers jumping to their deaths rather than being burned alive, I mean REALLY watch it....watch the National Geographic version that shows the firefighters in the lobby of the towers while the 'thump' of falling bodies hitting the metal awnings is heard... and tell me you actually give a **** about what the CIA did to these ********.

To add on....If I had any video-editing ability, I'd make a Youtube video showing Feinstein's speech today on the Senate floor, but in the background I'd have graphic images of 9/11. I'd find the clip of the pile of rubble with the haunting sound of multiple firefighters' emergency beacons eminating from it and include that while the blowhard senator spews her liberal bullshit.

I dare anyone to watch the footage of the people trapped in the towers jumping to their deaths rather than being burned alive, I mean REALLY watch it....watch the National Geographic version that shows the firefighters in the lobby of the towers while the 'thump' of falling bodies hitting the metal awnings is heard... and tell me you actually give a **** about what the CIA did to these ********.

And Obama let five of the worst ones go free and re-unite with Al Quada.

I feel no sympathy for radical terrorists and terrorist wannabes. Waterboard the **** out of them and whatever else is necessary to get information. Don't care in the least.

I wish I could have been the one pouring the water.

So if a single person is killed over the release of this information, will the Gov't go after Senator Feinstein the same way they went after Sam Bacile, the producer of the YouTube video that supposedly sparked Benghazi? He ended up in jail on "parole violations" associated with the production of the film. Just wondering.

And Obama let five of the worst ones go free and re-unite with Al Quada.

yeah, but we got back "one of our own" in one of the trades. Oh wait, he was a towel head loving fuckwad so let me rephrase that, Obama got back one of his own in that trade.

Confirms most everything we thought we knew about Bush/Cheney war crimes. I imagine we all agree those responsible should be held fully accountable.

http://thinkprogress.org/world/2014/12/09/3601209/cia-torture-report-findings/

On Tuesday, the Senate Intelligence Committee released a summary of a 6,000 page report investigating the CIA’s use of enhanced interrogation techniques in the aftermath of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Though former Bush administration officials — who officially approved the methods in August of 2002 — have argued that the revelations could endanger American security at home and abroad, the report completely discredits the former president’s long-standing claims that torture prevented attacks against America and helped capture high value terrorist targets. Below are its most damning revelations:

1. Torture didn’t stop a single terrorist attack. “At no time did the CIA’s coercive interrogation techniques lead to the collection of imminent threat intelligence, such as the hypothetical ‘ticking time bomb’ information that many believe was the justification for the use of these techniques.”

2. The CIA lied about the success of torture in obtaining intelligence. Even though the CIA cited numerous examples of success, the report found that those instances could not be attributed to torture and that “n some cases, there was no relationship between the claimed counterterrorism ‘success’ and any information provided by a CIA detainee during or after the use of the CIA’s enhanced interrogation techniques.” Ultimately, the “CIA representations were inaccurate and contradicted by the CIA’s own records. The CIA’s internal review also identified numerous inaccuracies in the CIA’s effectiveness representations—including representations to the President.” The CIA also misrepresented the reactions of senators who objected to the torture program, like Sens. John McCain (R-AZ) and Ron Wyden (D-OR). The CIA “informed the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel in classified settings that no senators had objected to the enhanced interrogation techniques that the CIA then sought to use against detainees. ”

3. Not everyone approved of the torture policy. “Internally, CIA officers regularly called into question the effectiveness of the CIA’s interrogation techniques, noting how the techniques failed to elicit detainee cooperation or produce accurate intelligence.”

4. The torture methods were far more brutal than originally reported. The “CIA applied its so-called enhanced interrogation techniques in near non-stop fashion for days or weeks at a time.” Detainees were forced to stay awake for up to 180 hours while “standing or in painful stress positions, at times with their hands shackled above their heads.” Some were kept in a “dungeon” that was completely dark and were “constantly shackled in isolated cells with loud noise or music and only a bucket to use for human waste. ” At least one detainee was told he could only leave CIA custody “in a coffin-shaped box.” The government also rectally force-fed detainees.

UPDATE
President Obama released a statement responding to the torture report revelations on Tuesday. Expressing gratitude for those who worked “to devastate core al Qaeda, deliver justice to Osama bin Laden, disrupt terrorist operations and thwart terrorist attacks,” the President distanced himself from Bush-era torture policies, saying the report “reinforces my long-held view that these harsh methods were not only inconsistent with our values as nation, they did not serve our broader counterterrorism efforts or our national security interests. Moreover, these techniques did significant damage to America’s standing in the world and made it harder to pursue our interests with allies and partners.”

“Rather than another reason to refight old arguments, I hope that today’s report can help us leave these techniques where they belong—in the past,” the statement concludes. “Today is also a reminder that upholding the values we profess doesn’t make us weaker, it makes us stronger and that the United States of America will remain the greatest force for freedom and human dignity that the world has ever known.”

By those responsible, you must also mean the Dems who were fully briefed on what was happening and signed off on it just as they signed off on going to war.