• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Debate ? What debate ?

Global climate crusaders could care less about what the U.S. is doing with their energy. As stated we produce less than 15% of CO2 right now and that will be 10% is less than 10 years. We have no cities in the top-100 most polluted cities in the world. Our trash collection system and disposal collect something like 99% of all litter.

What they want is our checkbook.

They want our booming economy to fund a million and one smaller economies in some massive ponzi scheme they will all get rich off of.

Meanwhile South/Southeast Asia is headed towards 60% of global CO2 emissions, dumping 90% of plastic in our oceans and 8 out of every 10 most polluted cities in the world.

And Europe turns a blind eye to the inequity of it all, because hell, if the U.S. taxes its economy to hell, it is better/easier for the E.U. to compete.

It is so blatantly clear the secret agenda of the Paris Climate Accord when you just realize "Hey, of the three major global economic powers (U.S., China, EU), only one is (and can be) energy independent."

Meanwhile South/Southeast Asia is headed towards 60% of global CO2 emissions, dumping 90% of plastic in our oceans and 8 out of every 10 most polluted cities in the world.

Yep. Until someone, anyone, starts seriously talking about and puts pressure on them, they're all phonies and lying liars telling lies about their lies.

Yep. Until someone, anyone, starts seriously talking about and puts pressure on them, they're all phonies and lying liars telling lies about their lies.

The left has somehow convinced millions of people that in order for the U.S. to be "leaders" in climate change, we have to stifle our economy and spend trillions of dollars OUTSIDE our country in the hopes (only the hope!), that Southeast and South Asia will change their ways, you know, just because we're being all good and stuff.....

My mom was a control room operator at Beaver Valley and my uncle is a nuclear chemist who has been all over the world. The problem with nuclear is the chance for a huge disaster and the waste. The waste was my uncles main focus. My mom said Homer Simpson is not too far off. One guy called off 3 days after he was supposed to come to work he went on a binge and had no clue what day it was. A guy ODed there, but people kept covering for them for some reason. Overall they had a few really tense moments there, but never reached a critical point. This was many years ago and i would imagine things are much tighter there now. Although during the cold war they all had to take a FBI lie detector test about Russia. I am not totally against nuclear, but i think we should work on something else. More plants = more waste = more chances for a big disaster

My mom was a control room operator at Beaver Valley and my uncle is a nuclear chemist who has been all over the world. The problem with nuclear is the chance for a huge disaster and the waste. The waste was my uncles main focus. My mom said Homer Simpson is not too far off.

My dad worked for many years on safety and evacuation of a nuclear power plant, worked with the engineers at such plants for decades, and his experience was vastly different. I don't know what position the people your parents are referring to worked, but as for the engineers working inside the plant and handling the reactor and turbines, they are subject to random drug tests, monitoring by supervisors and co-workers, and have significant training and experience.

Most non-supervisory positions inside the control room, such as electricians, require a 3-4 years of apprenticeship plus 2 years of training. That is 5-6 years to qualify for the job, or basically more time than is needed to get a college degree. Further, the vast majority of companies hiring for such jobs require a college degree in addition to the apprenticeship and on-the-job training, so we are talking at least 7-8 years of experience and education for somebody with an AA degree, 9-10 years for somebody with a B.S. degree.

The depiction of Homer Simpson as being in charge of the reactor control is meant to mock the nuclear industry. It's supposed to be funny. "See, the safety of thousands depends on the work of an imbecile because nuclear energy is so unsafe! Ha-hah!!"

You are of course correct that the more operational plants we have, the greater the chances of a serious accident. Most have basically zero knowledge of how nuclear plants, or indeed any power plants, create electricity. The basic process is that water under significant pressure is superheated to well beyond normal boiling temperature, that water than sheds its heat to different water in a separate set of pipes, making that water boil, the boiling water creates steam, the steam turns a huge turbine, and the rotating turbine is wrapped with copper wire. The outer shell of the turbine chamber is lined with magnets. The rotating copper interacts with the magnets, lining up electrons - i.e., creating electricity.

Nuclear plants use nuclear rods with enriched uranium, Uranium[SUP]235[/SUP], as fuel. The U[SUP]235[/SUP] is decaying and emitting a relatively significant amount of radiation in the process and when the protons and neutrons bash into other U[SUP]235[/SUP] molecules, that speeds up the breakdown. The reaction is a mini-chain reaction but never large enough to reach a self-sustaining fission reaction, i.e., a nuclear explosion. (In point of fact, no nuclear reactor could ever produce a nuclear explosion - the engineering to get the plutonium to develop a self-sustaining reaction with the highly-enriched U[SUP]238[/SUP] is so vastly beyond what goes into making a nuclear reactor core that the comparison is frankly stupid.) The low-enriched U[SUP]235[/SUP] in the reactor core (as compared to U[SUP]238[/SUP], which can be converted through a very particular process to U[SUP]239[/SUP], or plutonium) creates a significant amount of heat when the mini chain reaction takes place. Heat = energy.

The biggest risk is the loss of the pressurized liquid coolant either in the reactor core or in the conversion loop, either of which can increase the temperature inside the core to levels which run the risk of causing a break or fracture in the reactor core that releases the highly radioactive materials inside the core, something commonly called a "meltdown." Chernobly involved a unique design flaw where the reactor core exploded due to the creation of highly-flammable hydrogen gas (think Hindenburg).

Three Mile Island occurred when a filter backed up and the technicians tried to clear the clog with pressurized air. The clog interfered with water being cycled to remove the heat (steam) in the reactor core. (The control rods in the reactor are made of cadmium or boron, since those absorb a massive percentage of the radiation and basically work to absorb the radiation and reduce the heat generated. The control rods are electromagnetically controlled so in the event of a power outage, despite back-ups to back-ups, they drop into place and slow the reaction, keeping the reactor cool.)

TMI staff had closed secondary water pumps for maintenance, so when the coolant slowed down and the secondary pumps kicked in to cool the reactor, no water flowed and the temperature continued to build in the core. A valve remained open in a pressure tank to relieve the pressure stemming from the heat build-up, i.e., continued creation of steam in a closed container. A warning light falsely indicated the valve was closed, however, due to a design flaw. The operators thereby did not know that steam was being released for several hours. Releasing steam sounds good in theory, since it relieves some pressure, but the steam is a coolant. Water, even steam, will conduct heat much, much more efficiently than air.

That led to the sequence of events resulting in a "partial meltdown," since water mixed with bubbles began cycling through the reactor core. (The bubbles were present due to the loss of water/steam due to the valve being open.) Introducing air (bubbles) into the core is a significant problem since it does not transfer the heat nearly as well as the pressurized water, so the core temperature began to climb. Once the core reaches a certain temperature, the nuclear material begins to melt. The water is now super-heated and simply cannot remove any more heat. The air bubbles are completely ineffective at transferring or removing heat at such temperatures. The core thereby basically melts part of the containment vessel, releasing significant amounts of radiation.

Most of that release is contained within the exterior containment vessel, i.e., the housing surrounding the core itself, but some is going to be released. That is basically what happened and as is true with every accident, we learn. The facilities in operation in the United States and France (which gets about 70% of its power via nuclear energy) no longer have the design flaws present at TMI. No plant in the United States or Europe uses the Chernobly style graphite rods.

The heat build-up at TMI resulted in a partial meltdown and the release of radiation. That incident is the worst nuclear accident in our nation's history, spanning more than 70 years of nuclear power. More people have died from accidents during construction of solar panels than all who died due to an accident involving nuclear power.

So yes, **** happens. As for nuclear waste - we don't separate the re-usable U[SUP]235[/SUP] any more for reasons that are political more than environmental. More than 90% of its potential energy still remains in the fuel, even after five years of operation in a reactor. The United States does not currently recycle used nuclear fuel but foreign countries, such as France, do. So the easiest solution now is to simply recycle and re-use the fuel - but of course the "caveman alliance" that wants to ban all enrgy production and have us live in caves with a life expctancy of 22 will not let us generate nuclear power. Therefore, we can't use the recycled fuel so instead it sits in storage.

https://www.energy.gov/ne/articles/5-fast-facts-about-spent-nuclear-fuel

Since 1982, all electricity generated by nuclear plants has had a very small tax to finance the storage and treatment of nuclear waste. Those wastes are substantial, but currently the country has a surplus of about $40 billion to handle nuclear waste.

https://earth.stanford.edu/news/steep-costs-nuclear-waste-us#gs.jtnju2

The process right now is to simply store it in steel-lined concrete pools of water or in steel and concrete containers, known as dry storage casks. Right now, we have the money and the resources to continue storing it in that manner for years - decades - to come. But we should recycle and re-use the spent fuel rods to make more energy.

Last edited:
I think my mom last worked there like 30 years ago. She was in a car accident on her way to work which left her in a half body cast. She basically had to learn to rewalk and has needed a cane since. I don't know if Beaver Valley was run by the Navy, but they had a presence there and was in charge of inspections. I am not even s sure how my mom ended up there she was going to Penn State for Agriculture and ended up a control room operator?

As for my uncle we are not close at all he lives in Canada and is an odd person. He can speak either 6 or 8 languages and had pretty high govt clearance for a few countries. I know he has been in area 51, but he doesn't or can't talk about it. I know when he was away one time the FBI or CIA equivalent went to my aunts house and interrogated her about him, made sure he lived there and what not it was like spy movie crap. I haven't talked to any of them in like 20 yrs.

I imagine now there are so many regs and what not especially in the US that would make a huge mishap unlikely. I still think they souks expand on other technology we have currently. Stuff that is not efficient or clean to make now might be able to be evolved into something better. Look at how far we have come with many different types of tech or engineering in just 10 yrs or so

... my mom ended up there she was going to Penn State for Agriculture

"Your Mom goes to college!" in my best Kip Dynamite voice.

Yep... but look there has to be some balance though... new nuclear plants are much safer and more Efficient than all these ones using designs from the 70’s. Nuclear should make up the backbone of the country’s power... however every nuclear plant needs a supporting power plant especially in case of emergency to provide power to its pumps and emergency systems ... these should absolutely still be coal plants.. because in an emergency gas lines can be disrupted easier than a pile of coal... and all the non hydro green power is too unpredictable... so there still is a very important piece of the energy landscape for coal to fill... its just a lot smaller than the old way where it was the majority of the power

Gas is very effective as peaker power and for some grid stability.. we still have a use for that...
Oil is only burned for power when it is cheaper than gas for dual fuel plants.. quit letting people export gas to foreign Countries without taxing it and that will never ever happen

Other green energies are fine, but quit ******* subsidizing them... basically they aren’t profitable in many cases... these politicians subsidize them and heavily invest in them until those subsidies run out... its a scam... green power shouldn’t be a goldmine.. its a small profit gig at best

ive been harping on the dangers of deregulation of power and over-reliance of unreliable green energy... now that is bearing fruit in texas and the west coast but either the libs are denying it or spinning it away

Its going to get much much worse ... i am not permitted to disclose everything that I know for competitive purposes, but basically plan to be utterly ****** after 2028.... energy gaps out the *** that are 100% known are coming... everyone praying for a scientific breakthrough to solve it and nobody willing to stand up and publicly acknowledge it for fear they will be retaliated against in the pr front....

Do you mean existing power plants will come offline, or that dumbass green power will be even more injurious to human life life than we saw in Texas this week?

Do you mean existing power plants will come offline, or that dumbass green power will be even more injurious to human life life than we saw in Texas this week?
If you look into it, the power industry is closing coal and nuke plants at record paces... and even retiring gas units

most of the older coal ones that were too small to install pollution controls cost effectively are already done

many that were given exemptions because the grid absolutely needs them to sustain viability in areas are slated to come offline within the decade

nuke plants are hitting their end of life points and new ones aren’t being permitted as replacements... its cheaper to close them now then to bring them up to speed

Natural gas prices are expected to climb dramatically making many gas plants unviable economically

the issue is as the companies add thousands of tiny green energy sources like windmills... and i mean many thousands... that eliminates profitability on a normal day, which is much of the year, it leaves no answer for the 20% of the time when solar and wind cannot work.... which coincides with the critical time to have power or people die... companies are leaving the on demand type power plants to die on the vine from lack of maintenance or just shuttering them completely

For instance last year a huge power plant in the rist belt that shall remain nameless was closed because it was losing tens of millions of dollars a year because it was locked into coal contracts that were unnecessary due to its minimal useage because most days. It was uneconomical to run... the smaller gas plant nearby can handle the grid stability if other plants in the area go down, but that basically ties all the power in some that area to green and gas, which is expected to get very expensive soon...
This isn’t even conspiracy ranting... its math, it’s accepted by the power industry and the environmental nutjobs pushing these agendas... cut power useage... discover new ways to make and store power... thats themantra...

The thing is in a best case power will get very pricey in areas... in a worse case it will collapse and we will see rations or rolling blackouts ... this isn’t good