• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Does Jimmy Garoppolo Make Sense for the Steelers?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The off-season in the NFL is never lacking controversy, hot takes and predictions. One of the main topics throughout the league the next couple months will continue to be what the Pittsburgh Steelers will do at the quarterback position. After all, replacing Ben Roethlisberger will not be the easiest task Mike Tomlin will have in his coaching tenure.

Many names have been thrown into the possible mix or the Steelers starting signal caller in 2022. Potential draftees could be available to the team at the 20th overall pick. The idea of having Mason Rudolph or Dwayne Haskins hold the spot or a year to then draft a franchise quarterback in 2023 has also been thrown around. Additionally, a name that has come up frequently in the last week has been Jimmy Garoppolo. After the San Francisco 49ers NFC Championship loss, the future of the Golden City may rest in the hands of Trey Lance. If the 49ers decide to listen to trade offers for Garoppolo, does it make sense for the Steelers to reach out and find out the asking price?

Let’s get one thing out of the way. Garoppolo would absolutely be a step up from Rudolph and Haskins. He has a 45-18 career record and has plenty of experience to help lead an offense that lacks in the leadership department. It really depends what the Steelers see next year as. Is it an opportunity to make a potential Super Bowl run? Regardless of how strong the defense is, the Steelers aren’t contenders with Rudolph, Haskins or a rookie at quarterback. If the front office and Tomlin see a serious window to contend, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them at least inquire about Garoppolo.

With that said, the Steelers are more than just a quarterback away from competing at a high level in the AFC. The team needs a revamped offense line, depth on the defensive line and a solution at the cornerback position. Trading away a potential second round draft pick to grab a one-year rental at quarterback who has a cap hit of nearly $27 million just doesn’t make sense. While the Steelers wouldn’t have to commit to Garoppolo beyond 2022, it could set the franchise back while wasting the prime years of guys like T.J. Watt and Cameron Heyward.

It not only doesn’t make sense, but it is far from the Steeler way to trade a potential second round pick for a quarterback with a $27 million price tag. The only quarterback potentially moving who would be capable of elevating this offense to championship level would be Aaron Rodgers. Garoppolo is a solid quarterback, but not franchise altering.

It comes down to if the Steelers are okay with a low-ceiling quarterback like Rudolph bridging the gap in 2022 to then take the future guy in 2023 or if they believe they are simply a quarterback away from being a force in the AFC next season. Simply put, they need much more than just a formidable quarterback to contend which is why Garoppolo wouldn’t be a fit for Tomlin and co.

Would you like to see Garoppolo in the black and gold? Let us know in the comments below.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

No. Decent QB but hurt too often and costs too much.

No. Decent QB but hurt too often and costs too much.
He is going to be 31 next year….In his entire career he had last year where he started 15/17 games, and three seasons back he played in all 16/16 games…. Outside of those two seasons he has never started more than six games… and that was one season another he had five starts… i mean this guy is just never available and he only has a few years before he probably starts to decline alot…

Jimmy G is Kent Graham 2.0. NO THANK YOU!

Does he make sense? Yes.

Are they going to pull the trigger? I doubt it. It feels like Colbert is staying on for the draft one reason- to draft the next franchise QB on his way out the door. Even if they really want Garoppolo, they could likely wait until the 49ers cut and sign him to a reduced deal without giving up any draft capital.

Edit: By the way, glad I stumbled across this board on Twitter. I use to belong to the old Pittsburgh Sports Forum/Tavern before it went under using the same username. Glad to find another place to talk Steeler football!

Did you watch the NFC Championship game? He lobbed up three idiotic balloons when under pressure, the last of which was intercepted to end the game. He should have had three picks.

Pay a ton for a guy who is mediocre? Yeah, pass.

No. Almost 30 bones and lost draft capital for someone to throw interceptions with game on line? You can get much cheaper options for that. Build the line and bide our time until that and run game is fixed.

No. Almost 30 bones and lost draft capital for someone to throw interceptions with game on line? You can get much cheaper options for that. Build the line and bide our time until that and run game is fixed.

Franchise QB? No
Cost? A lot of money AND draft picks. No.
Mobile? No

Jimmy G. doesn't check any boxes for the Steelers and is probably one of the worst fits in terms of possible options. If we were a ready-made winner with a strong offensive line and ground game and a good defense I'd say yes. As the roster is currently constructed, no.

I am in the minority and that is ok. But I am for moves that improve the position (s). JG is an upgrade over the QBs on the roster. If there is a better option out there sure. But I have no desire to see Rudolph guide the sleigh tonight, tomorrow night, and well every night after that. Ho ho.

I am in the minority and that is ok. But I am for moves that improve the position (s). JG is an upgrade over the QBs on the roster. If there is a better option out there sure. But I have no desire to see Rudolph guide the sleigh tonight, tomorrow night, and well every night after that. Ho ho.
Garoppolo would reportedly cost a 2nd or a 3rd and a player. He only has one year left on his deal and will be 31 before the end of the season. If you trade for him, you probably give him at least a 3-year extension and likely a pay raise. He'd probably be in the range of $28-30 million per year until he is 34.

Then it becomes the question do you take Jimmy G. for around $30 million for the next four years or a guy like Zion Johnson, Daniel Faalele, Devonte Wyatt, Travis Jones, Chad Muma, Kyler Gordon, Jalen Pitre, etc. for four years at the rookie pay scale?

Garoppolo would reportedly cost a 2nd or a 3rd and a player. He only has one year left on his deal and will be 31 before the end of the season. If you trade for him, you probably give him at least a 3-year extension and likely a pay raise. He'd probably be in the range of $28-30 million per year until he is 34.

Then it becomes the question do you take Jimmy G. for around $30 million for the next four years or a guy like Zion Johnson, Daniel Faalele, Devonte Wyatt, Travis Jones, Chad Muma, Kyler Gordon, Jalen Pitre, etc. for four years at the rookie pay scale?
I have faith in Omar to make it a doable contract. I like that the guys ability to win and win often. Despite his known flaws. I dunno for me we could do a lot worse.

I watched Jimmy closely this past season, with the idea that he could be our next QB. I always thought that he was actually better than he really is. Inconsistent. One drive he looks great. And 10 he does not. Bonehead decisions nonstop. A big no thanks.

I think it’s time to ride with Mason. Get him out of our system one way or the other. No trading of draft capital whatsoever. Judging by what I have seen from Mason, do I think he’s the QB for the next 5 years. No. But I am willing to give him a season to prove me wrong. He started one year.
There was a time we used to give a Season to a QB. He’s had a controversial season. Let’s give him another to show what he’s got. And take the frigging handcuffs off. Let’s let our QB throw down the field.

I watched Jimmy closely this past season, with the idea that he could be our next QB. I always thought that he was actually better than he really is. Inconsistent. One drive he looks great. And 10 he does not. Bonehead decisions nonstop. A big no thanks.

I think it’s time to ride with Mason. Get him out of our system one way or the other. No trading of draft capital whatsoever. Judging by what I have seen from Mason, do I think he’s the QB for the next 5 years. No. But I am willing to give him a season to prove me wrong. He started one year.
There was a time we used to give a Season to a QB. He’s had a controversial season. Let’s give him another to show what he’s got. And take the frigging handcuffs off. Let’s let our QB throw down the field.
If you think Jimmy doesn't look great here and there you haven't seen nothing yet. We are talking about not looking good quarter to quarter to quarter to quarter. That 12 points at the end of the game will have you screaming for anyone else by game 4.

If you think Jimmy doesn't look great here and there you haven't seen nothing yet. We are talking about not looking good quarter to quarter to quarter to quarter. That 12 points at the end of the game will have you screaming for anyone else by game 4.
So Aaron Rodgers?

• Haha
Reactions: MTC
We will probably be holding our pillow instead. All I have to do is dream dream dream. ( voice crackles the dog howls)
MTC’s voice crackles mirros and windows break, babies cry, dogs howl and the maple hardens in Canada

*mirrors. Hitting that peyote already