• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Does Jimmy Garoppolo Make Sense for the Steelers?

At vet minimum. Yes.

Anything else? No.

As far as Garoppolo goes, I have no idea why the Steelers would want to give away their #2 pick for a pedestrian quarterback without mobility who is scheduled to count nearly $27 million against the cap in 2022. Makes zero sense.
The Steelers appear to be in a no win situation, if they trade for a vet, stopgap QB, it will cost them draft revenue and millions for a guy at the end of his career. If they perceive that there is a QB in this draft (Pickett?) that MAY prove to be the answer, they lose draft picks trading up to get him.

Both of these scenarios sacrifice draft picks needed elsewhere. Take your lumps with Rudy, because I can't see how a new QB will make any difference, short term at least.

if asked over Mason yes
for a 3rd yes if you are drafting Willis or Ridder
if signing Mariota or Foles while building a new scheme for Willis or Ridder if SF accepts a 3rd and 5th then yes if nor rather have Mariota because you will likely have Matt build a similar system for the long term QB.

Should Steelers Be In Contention for Jimmy Garoppolo?​

The Pittsburgh Steelers are reportedly making a push for the quarterback.

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers are reportedly making a "strong push" for San Francisco 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, and the 49ers have lowered the asking price.

Last week, Garoppolo and the 49ers made it know they are seeking a trade. According to Matt Lombaro, San Francisco is interested in taking a second round pick, or a third round pick and a player in exchange for the quarterback.

So, should the Steelers be making this "strong push"? And if they are, who's up on the trading block? Two names come to mind, but it feels unproductive to move either this offseason.

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers are reportedly making a "strong push" for San Francisco 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, and the 49ers have lowered the asking price.

Last week, Garoppolo and the 49ers made it know they are seeking a trade. According to Matt Lombaro, San Francisco is interested in taking a second round pick, or a third round pick and a player in exchange for the quarterback.

So, should the Steelers be making this "strong push"? And if they are, who's up on the trading block? Two names come to mind, but it feels unproductive to move either this offseason.

Garbage report. Nobody is making a push for a QB in February.

Duck was actually 3-3 as a starter, not 4-2. But he did have a total passer rating of 101.8 in those three wins, with a low game of 87.9 (which is higher than Ben's season average of 86.8 this past year).

As far as Garoppolo goes, I have no idea why the Steelers would want to give away their #2 pick for a pedestrian quarterback without mobility who is scheduled to count nearly $27 million against the cap in 2022. Makes zero sense.
Poor eyesight on the game logs I was looking at. Thanks for the correction.

Abby Normal

The Steelers appear to be in a no win situation, if they trade for a vet, stopgap QB, it will cost them draft revenue and millions for a guy at the end of his career. If they perceive that there is a QB in this draft (Pickett?) that MAY prove to be the answer, they lose draft picks trading up to get him.

Both of these scenarios sacrifice draft picks needed elsewhere. Take your lumps with Rudy, because I can't see how a new QB will make any difference, short term at least.
You're excluding a scenario which is growing in popularity around here, for good reason: signing Mitch Trubisky.

He's a free agent, so no draft revenue lost. He only made 2.5 million last year (as opposed to an enormous cap hit for somebody like Garoppolo). He's only 27, so he's not near the end of his career. And unlike Rudolph, he's mobile and a better fit for Canada's system.

If Trubisky isn't the answer and can't beat out Rudolph for the starting job, the cost would be minimal, and they can look to draft their franchise guy in 2023.

San Fran will likely have to release Garrapolo if they can't make a trade. He has a near 25 mil salary for 2022 and they need cap space for some key extensions.

Kyler Murray has seemed to distance himself from the Cardinals. I wonder what a silver-tongued coach could do to bring him here? And what it would take.

I'd take Jimmy G in a heartbeat! I'll bet he can hand out water and towels just as well as our current staff.

Joe

4th rounder he is a very good game manager if SF is content with a 2nd sign Mariota for 2 years while you have Pickett or Willis developing

Nooooo! Don't want to give up draft capital for a game manager like Jimmy G. Hell, we have a game manager with Rudy. We need a QB who has proven himself somewhat like Trubisky and has mobility too. A couple playoff appearances and a Pro Bowl with the Bears ain't too bad. Won't cost anything since there would be no trade. Sign him to a heavily incentive laden contract. Build the OL and DL in this draft. Add some pieces to ILB, CB, speed receiver, and another quality OL in free agency. We can get this fixed if we make the right moves. Mitch will only be 27-28 years old and could keep us in contention for several years if we do this right.

Nooooo! Don't want to give up draft capital for a game manager like Jimmy G. Hell, we have a game manager with Rudy. We need a QB who has proven himself somewhat like Trubisky and has mobility too. A couple playoff appearances and a Pro Bowl with the Bears ain't too bad. Won't cost anything since there would be no trade. Sign him to a heavily incentive laden contract. Build the OL and DL in this draft. Add some pieces to ILB, CB, speed receiver, and another quality OL in free agency. We can get this fixed if we make the right moves. Mitch will only be 27-28 years old and could keep us in contention for several years if we do this right.
I wouldn't call Rudy a game manager. I would call him you're lucky if you manage 6 points in the red zone.

I wouldn't call Rudy a game manager. I would call him you're lucky if you manage 6 points in the red zone.
I’m not sure what we should really call Rudy. I don’t know how this all shakes out for the QB job here but Rudy should have his big opportunity without 7 there any longer. He better come ready to go and play his ads off this summer if he has any chance of taking the job. Today he only has Haskins to compete with but who the hell knows what this organization will do or should I say add to the QB mix.

If Jimmy G were a free agent that cost us no assets, then sure.

As a trade, with a 2nd round pick mentioned, HELL NO.

If you want to lose he is a good option
Come on man. Get out of here with the Jimmy talk

I'm guessing nobody is looking to trade for Garrapolo and pick up the 27 million contract. The 49ers are going to release him and everyone knows it. Once he's released I can't see a bidding war for his services that will remotely approach that figure.

He does not see the field well, he forgot Ayiuk was on the field during the first 6 to 8 games of the season. His sideline passes that need zip are often suspect. He's ok between the hash marks but often throws high. He makes bad decisions and it's usually when it's nail biting time. He either didn't see or couldn't cut it loose deep to open receivers a few times in th NFC championship game.

I will say he's a great guy and class act and would make a great neighbor.