• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Done with....

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Disney:

Disney working with Kapernick: https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/colin-kaepernick-disney-partnership-deal My kids are all grown up, but I will have grandkids someday and I have a a great nephew and great niece. Not a penny to Disney anymore.

The NBA:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nba-union-approve-social-justice-messages-for-jerseys-report Social justice jerseys. Again, I have not had to buy any NBA jerseys for my kids for years, but i won't in the future for any grandkids, etc.

The NFL:

Real close to abandoning the NFL too .... on the fence right now.

Waiting to see how MLB will bite the hand that feeds it. Okay for now. Same with the NHL.

I'm content to watch snippets of old games from the 70s and even '80s on youtube if I need a fix. The game and its messaging have devolved so far since then that it makes me realize the modern game holds little charm.

I purposely steered my girls clear of the evil Disney bug. Yeah, they watched some movies but I upsold the benefits of beach vacations vs. Disney Hell.

This pandemic and the cultural war going on has caused me the rethink a lot of things in my life. (I have even deeply examined myself and my own subconscious racial bias, insensitivity, and lack of true comprehension of how systemic racism affects people on a daily basis. I happen to think that is a very good thing for all of us to do.)

I used to live for those games every week. I will tune in from time to time I'm sure but the passion for it is gone. Yes, it's partially because it has become one more thing that angrily divides us politically. But it's mostly just because it all seems rather silly now.

This pandemic and the cultural war going on has caused me the rethink a lot of things in my life. (I have even deeply examined myself and my own subconscious racial bias, insensitivity, and lack of true comprehension of how systemic racism affects people on a daily basis. I happen to think that is a very good thing for all of us to do.)

\

You and Cope should go bowling.

I used to live for those games every week. I will tune in from time to time I'm sure but the passion for it is gone. Yes, it's partially because it has become one more thing that angrily divides us politically. But it's mostly just because it all seems rather silly now.

Everyone has to follow their own conscience and do what they feel is right. I certainly don't understand why the field of entertainment feels the need to enter the PC world, any business model over the years would dictate staying away from controversy to avoid alienating potential customers.
Perhaps businesses today are going after the young woke crowd, thinking they are the future, even though they are, I'm not sure that's where the money is and in the case of the NFL I don't see them as fans.

Another example is Amazon, I used to buy a ton of **** from them, because it was easy, convenient and fast. But when they refused to stop selling the Blue Lives Murder clothing, I was done with them. Personal decisions, we all make them.

I think many people are more introspective and realize how much energy has been given to the trivial.

However, it sounds like your introspection started from the premise that "systemic racism" exists in 2020. I understand systemic to mean "pervasive" and enthroned in our institutions.

I'm just not seeing that. I'm seeing blacks with unprecedented and even favored opportunity paths -- especially in the Trump years prior to Covid-1984. How can we have "systemic racism" when we elected a black POTUS 2X?

When we follow religiously sports leagues with 70% millionaire blacks and in our case millionaire HC?

To me, "systemic racism" is the golden calf of multiculturalism and the Marxist agenda to divide and tear down the American Experiment and its history that cannot be separated from the freedom and opportunities inherent in our unique system.

In that case, introspection can be a slippery slope to White Guilt which is what they want you to have.

In which case they are more than happy to give you time to wallow in it while the world burns at their hands.

Last edited:
I think many people are more introspective and realize how much energy has been given to the trivial.

However, it sounds like your introspection started from the premise that "systemic racism" exists in 2020. I understand systemic to mean "pervasive" and enthroned in our institutions.

I'm just not seeing that. I'm seeing blacks with unprecedented and even favored opportunity paths -- especially in the Trump years prior to Covid-1984. How can we have "systemic racism" when we elected a black POTUS 2X?

When we follow religiously sports leagues with 70% millionaire blacks and in our case millionaire HC?

To me, "systemic racism" is the golden calf of multiculturalism and the Marxist agenda to divide and tear down the American Experiment and its history that cannot be separated from the freedom and opportunities inherent in our unique system.

In that case, introspection can be a slippery slope to White Guilt which is what they want you to have.

In which case they are more than happy to give you time to wallow in it while the world burns at their hands.

It's not white guilt, it's empathy.

I'm listening. I'm taking in the experiences of my friends and neighbors and the pain it is causing them. I'm thinking about what it might be like to worry every time my 17 year old leaves the house that he might get pulled over for no reason by some trigger happy cop. I'm thinking about how it feels to have people fear you or suspect you because of the way you look.

I'm thinking about what it must be like to have everyone question your successes and not give you credit for them because it is assumed you got special treatment.

When I talk about systemic racism, I'm not talking about lack of opportunity and I don't discount the role personal choices and responsibility play in someone's success.

I'm searching my soul on how I can be better. Of course that's something I've done my whole life. I don't see that as a weakness, I see it as a strength.

We can't complain that "the other side" refuses to listen if we also refuse to listen.

. I certainly don't understand why the field of entertainment feels the need to enter the PC world, any business model over the years would dictate staying away from controversy to avoid alienating potential customers.

Because many sports are heavily populated by African Americans, who rightly or wrongly believe at this moment that speaking out is more important than losing viewership.

I think over time that will probably change but that's where we are right now.

Because many sports are heavily populated by African Americans, who rightly or wrongly believe at this moment that speaking out is more important than losing viewership.

I think over time that will probably change but that's where we are right now.

But over time through the ESPN and sports media complex, these guys have been told incessantly that they need to "use their platform."

Michael Jordan was shamed for saying "Republicans by shoes, too."

The leftward tilt of the ESPN/ESPYs for example and the fruits of intense programming play a huge part in the mindset of today's athletes.

It's like when so many of them jumped on "Hand Up Don't Shoot." That was a false narrative that they embraced because of the media and their own leftism.

I think it's politics and programming more than any organic sense that these millionaires really live in 1962 Mississippi in 2020 America.

That and the fact that the ultimate goal each season is to hit 8-8, it doesn't really make for a really compelling argument to focus my life around the game.

That and the fact that the ultimate goal each season is to hit 8-8, it doesn't really make for a really compelling argument to focus my life around the game.

Are you saying that "Never Had a Losing Season" doesn't do it for you?

It's not white guilt, it's empathy.

I'm listening. I'm taking in the experiences of my friends and neighbors and the pain it is causing them. I'm thinking about what it might be like to worry every time my 17 year old leaves the house that he might get pulled over for no reason by some trigger happy cop. I'm thinking about how it feels to have people fear you or suspect you because of the way you look.

I'm thinking about what it must be like to have everyone question your successes and not give you credit for them because it is assumed you got special treatment.

When I talk about systemic racism, I'm not talking about lack of opportunity and I don't discount the role personal choices and responsibility play in someone's success.

I'm searching my soul on how I can be better. Of course that's something I've done my whole life. I don't see that as a weakness, I see it as a strength.

We can't complain that "the other side" refuses to listen if we also refuse to listen.

While I applaud your empathy and introspection (I think we should all do that to try to be a better human beings), I just don't buy the overwhelming and oversimplified narrative that young African-Americans (or anyone) has to be terrified about leaving their house for fear of being the victim of a trigger happy cop. I don't doubt that there are terrible cops out there (we've already seen evidence of this), just like there are terrible human beings in any other profession in life. I hope there is some police reform in that they get better training and are required to practice that training on a semi-regular basis, and also better filter out potential applicants that have a questionable history of violence.

But, I believe the problem has been severely magnified to a few bad apples in a batch of hundreds of thousands of good ones. And to your comment about personal responsibility, absolutely. I've had black friends (close ones) most of my life and none of them have ever experienced an issue with police officers that have made them fear for their lives. I've found that if you do a couple simple things, you're never going to have to fear for your life with a police officer:

A) Don't break the law
B) If you do get pulled over, just be respectful and courteous and give yes or no answers to questions
C) Never resist arrest or give them a reason to use force (or if you're in the unfortunate position of being with one of those bad apples), excessive force

Hell, even Chris Rock came out with a video illustrating what not to do when encountering a police officer, which was mainly a PSA to not do stupid **** on the part of the person being pulled over. Common sense stuff that I just illustrated above.

On that note, I'm seeing more and more people complaining about "cancel culture". And it really is a disgusting thing for someone to try to ruin a person's life over their comments (or past comments) over social media. But there's also a quick remedy to that, that ties into the personal responsibility thing; if you fear for your life getting ruined over social media, do not participate. If you feel you can't not participate, you may want to reassess your life's priorities. I know there are certain people that have to use social media for their jobs etc. so I would encourage them to treat it like any other job, and don't go on late at night if they've been drinking or doing other questionable things.

And you asked how could you be better. What in the world do you think you need to do to help stop what you call "systemic racism"? I think you've already been doing it all of your life in being a conscientious and respectful person to everyone you encounter. To not care about the color of another person's skin. To treat other people the way you would want to be treated. What more can you possibly do?

But, I believe the problem has been severely magnified to a few bad apples in a batch of hundreds of thousands of good ones. And to your comment about personal responsibility, absolutely. I've had black friends (close ones) most of my life and none of them have ever experienced an issue with police officers that have made them fear for their lives. I've found that if you do a couple simple things, you're never going to have to fear for your life with a police officer:

I certainly believe the bad cops are not representative of most. I also believe that black people (especially young black men) are pulled over more often, questioned more often, and searched more often. Thus the chances of encountering a bad one go up. My white son is assumed to be a harmless teenager by most people he encounters. A black kid his age is often assumed to be up to no good. A lifetime of assumptions like that have their effect on people.

And you asked how could you be better. What in the world do you think you need to do to help stop what you call "systemic racism"? I think you've already been doing it all of your life in being a conscientious and respectful person to everyone you encounter. To not care about the color of another person's skin. To treat other people the way you would want to be treated. What more can you possibly do?

Stop discounting their experiences, for one. Don't make pronouncements about how people of color should feel or act because I haven't experienced what they have experienced. Don't make assumptions about people. I think most of us if we are honest with ourselves have done this at one time or another. Stop looking at every single one of their grievances as "political correctness" and recognize the legitimacy of some of them.

Stop denying racism has any effect on people and their lives. If more people did this I think things would get better. Not perfect, but better. At least people would feel heard. Every time a person of color hears someone say their problems are not real or not significant that contributes to their anger and pain. We aren't going to solve these problem by lecturing people that their experiences are false or don't matter.

I won't contribute to that any more by the things I say or write on social media. Will it make much of a difference? Probably not. Maybe if a lot of people try to examine themselves and change their mindset, it will. In any case, it's about self-improvement. I have no delusions that I personally can fix racism.

Stop discounting their experiences, for one. Don't make pronouncements about how people of color should feel or act because I haven't experienced what they have experienced. Don't make assumptions about people. I think most of us if we are honest with ourselves have done this at one time or another. Stop looking at every single one of their grievances as "political correctness" and recognize the legitimacy of some of them.

Stop denying racism has any effect on people and their lives. If more people did this I think things would get better. Not perfect, but better. At least people would feel heard. Every time a person of color hears someone say their problems are not real or not significant that contributes to their anger and pain. We aren't going to solve these problem by lecturing people that their experiences are false or don't matter.

I won't contribute to that any more by the things I say or write on social media. Will it make much of a difference? Probably not. Maybe if a lot of people try to examine themselves and change their mindset, it will. In any case, it's about self-improvement. I have no delusions that I personally can fix racism.

I know there is definitely racism still out there in 2020....and I would say, unfortunately, it's most likely going to increase by leaps and bounds, due to what is happening in the country currently, which is scary. But at the same time, it's a double edged sword. On the flip side, I have heard many many Black speakers and pundits say that constantly treating Black people as victims and Black people seeing themselves as victims is the most invidious and devastating thing that could ever be done to them. They feel it emotionally cripples Black people and holds them back from realizing the American dream by always seeing the deck stacked against them and then not even trying.

Last edited:
And can I just add that some white college professor writing about "White Fragility" isn't what has me thinking and reflecting. It's hearing the real life experiences of pain and humiliation from African Americans, opening my ears and really listening

It's a double edged sword. On the flip side, I have heard many many Black speakers and pundits say that constantly treating Black people as victims and Black people seeing themselves as victims is the most invidious and devastating thing that could ever be done to them. They feel it emotionally cripples Black people and holds them back from realizing the American dream by always seeing the deck stacked against them and then not even trying.

It't not for me, a white upper middle class woman, to tell any African American person how they should see themselves. One way or the other. I'm not qualified.

It't not for me, a white upper middle class woman, to tell any African American person how they should see themselves. One way or the other. I'm not qualified.

I understand, me either. That's why I pointed out that it is Black people who are saying this. And a lot of them are Black scholars, no just Joe Schmoe off the street.

Football has gone downhill since the 70 to 80 to 90. Now they may as well play flag football.

I'm content to watch snippets of old games from the 70s and even '80s on youtube if I need a fix. The game and its messaging have devolved so far since then that it makes me realize the modern game holds little charm.

You know who I thank for making me care less and less every freaking year about professional sports? The Pittsburgh Pirates. I was born and raised a baseball guy number 1, and loved my Pirates. Then, 1993-2013 happened.

I instituted a rule. If I am not enjoying the game, I turn it off. I watch the damn things for fun, entertainment. The billionaire owners and millionaire players don't know me, don't give a **** about me, don't pay my mortgage. The record for the shortest span of time I watched a game was the leadoff batter in the top of the first. The Pirates pitcher decided it would be a great idea to walk Billy ******* Hamilton, and that was enough for me.

I used to run for recreation, and at one point I decided to run whenever the Pirates bothered me and I had to turn off the damn game. I told a buddy that the Pirates added a couple of years to my life.

Now, the Steelers are in the same boat. I watch for entertainment. If I am not enjoying the game, I turn it off. If before the game starts, the millionaires want to take a knee and disrespect my country, **** 'em. I have better things to do. If the NFL wants to minimize my country's national anthem, **** 'em. If the NFL wants to cater to "wokeness," **** 'em.

They need me; I sure as **** don't need them.

You know who I thank for making me care less and less every freaking year about professional sports? The Pittsburgh Pirates. I was born and raised a baseball guy number 1, and loved my Pirates. Then, 1993-2013 happened.

I instituted a rule. If I am not enjoying the game, I turn it off. I watch the damn things for fun, entertainment. The billionaire owners and millionaire players don't know me, don't give a **** about me, don't pay my mortgage. The record for the shortest span of time I watched a game was the leadoff batter in the top of the first. The Pirates pitcher decided it would be a great idea to walk Billy ******* Hamilton, and that was enough for me.

I used to run for recreation, and at one point I decided to run whenever the Pirates bothered me and I had to turn off the damn game. I told a buddy that the Pirates added a couple of years to my life.

Now, the Steelers are in the same boat. I watch for entertainment. If I am not enjoying the game, I turn it off. If before the game starts, the millionaires want to take a knee and disrespect my country, **** 'em. I have better things to do. If the NFL wants to minimize my country's national anthem, **** 'em. If the NFL wants to cater to "wokeness," **** 'em.

They need me; I sure as **** don't need them.

Yes the Pirates are a massive disappointment. Beautiful park, a lot of enthusiasm. totally screwed by the management. It sucks.

Steelers, squandered an unbelievable amount of talent that I don't see us getting back to any time soon.

So yeah, it's not a big loss at the moment.

Can't say if either one ever becomes a championship contender I won't care though. I'm a born and raised Pittsburgh girl with a real soft spot for memories of glory days for both.

But ironically the cancel culture and mob are filled with white women doing what they think is best for blacks.

Like somebody said, "did anybody ask us if renouncing your whiteness or pulling down a statue is really what's important to us?"

I wish the left would heed your wisdom.

Football has gone downhill since the 70 to 80 to 90. Now they may as well play flag football.

Totally. I think James Harrison was the Last of the Mohicans.