• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Draft Targets by round

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
If Jackson Powers-Johnson was there in the second or Frazier there in the third, yes jump on it. I’m using where others are ranking them, our draft pick and my draft board. This is just looking to optimize value. There’s good centers in Limmer, Bortolini, and McCormick the Steelers can draft in the middle rounds. It’s not going to be as easy to find a starting RT in the middle rounds.
As long as they don't "crap the bed" and make a knucklehead pick like Green in the 3rd again. That experience has made me fear an OC pick in the 3rd. So based on that, I'm hoping we grab a C by the 2nd. Yes, perhaps that was a Colbert brain fart and he's no longer here but that decision has hurt us badly. And the fact that he bragged about the selection just makes it hurt worse.

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
One play. Besides the first 1-on-1 battle, which Limmer was definitely taken off guard by Sweats power, Limmer either redirected Sweat or stood him up after that. Sweat also was the best interior defender at the senior bowl and outplayed Briske who was having great practices. Limmer was the only one able to consistently handle him.
Not really, Sweat had Limmer five to six yards deep in another rep in about 1.5 seconds before Limmer started to plant himself. Fiske ripped by Limmer's left, if the QB moved one yard to his right he was done. Regardless, Limmer was far from impressive, at least on that day when he knew what his assignment was.

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
If Jackson Powers-Johnson was there in the second or Frazier there in the third, yes jump on it. I’m using where others are ranking them, our draft pick and my draft board. This is just looking to optimize value. There’s good centers in Limmer, Bortolini, and McCormick the Steelers can draft in the middle rounds. It’s not going to be as easy to find a starting RT in the middle rounds.
This is the issue at least with me, the criteria your using is heavily tilted to your draft board. If your looking at rankings by other individuals and our draft pick, there's no way Frazier slides by us at 51 unless we already picked Powers Johnson or Barton in round one and I do not believe Frazier will make it past the first 50 picks. Sure Limmer is good value day three, but I'm hesitant to place my hopes on him solidifying the center position.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
As long as they don't "crap the bed" and make a knucklehead pick like Green in the 3rd again. That experience has made me fear an OC pick in the 3rd. So based on that, I'm hoping we grab a C by the 2nd. Yes, perhaps that was a Colbert brain fart and he's no longer here but that decision has hurt us badly. And the fact that he bragged about the selection just makes it hurt worse.
I think Green just had a lot going against him. Change of position then forced to start. If they would of had a Nate Herbig to maybe bridge that gap he might have not of been a bust. We reached on him then threw him to the wolves. Just a horrible decision. If we drafted a Tanor Bortolini in the 5th or 6th who has a 9.78 RAS score and let him compete with Herbig I don’t feel like that is a bad situation. If he beats him out he starts. If not he learns and improves in practice for a season.

Lets say the draft went like this.

20- Amarius Mims
51- Ruke Orhorhoro
84- Jarrian Jones
98- Cam Hart
119- Luke McCaffrey
178- Tanor Bortolini
195- Eric Watts

Would you be disappointed?

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
Lets say the draft went like this.

20- Amarius Mims
51- Ruke Orhorhoro
84- Jarrian Jones
98- Cam Hart
119- Luke McCaffrey
178- Tanor Bortolini
195- Eric Watts

Would you be disappointed?
Torn on Mims because of his injury/inexperience but It wouldn't ruin my Thursday. I like Orhorhoro and like everyone else here, never had to pay for it. Jones, Hart, McCaffery and Bortolini all fill needs but not sure the later two satisfy 2024 issues. In all honesty, had to look up Watts. Another tweener but at 6.6, 275lbs and runs a 40 at around 4.65, 7th round is fine by me. I'd stick him at OLB in pass rushing downs instead of telling him to add weight.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This is the issue at least with me, the criteria your using is heavily tilted to your draft board. If your looking at rankings by other individuals and our draft pick, there's no way Frazier slides by us at 51 unless we already picked Powers Johnson or Barton in round one and I do not believe Frazier will make it past the first 50 picks. Sure Limmer is good value day three, but I'm hesitant to place my hopes on him solidifying the center position.

I’m reinforcing that as well. We need a day 1 or day 2 C, not a lesser talent for value pick. Our Pick at center needs to start day one from OTAs all the way through training camp and onto the official season of the NFL. No ****-ing waiting to see if a “value” pick can play or not.

Salute the nation

Last edited:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, no one is going to flame anyone for saying Dawson and Webster were better than Pouncey. It's a pretty sizeable gap, IMO.
Sometimes I think Pounce was the Big Ben of Steelers centers. Not too popular for whatever reason. Get this vibe too or not?

Who would you pick when picking Web VS Dirt? I know a lot of the old schoolers probably pick Web but Dirt was for me the complete package ...

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Sometimes I think Pounce was the Big Ben of Steelers centers. Not too popular for whatever reason. Get this vibe too or not?

Who would you pick when picking Web VS Dirt? I know a lot of the old schoolers probably pick Web but Dirt was for me the complete package ...
Dawson because of what you said. He was the complete package and really transformed how the Steelers OL could play.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Torn on Mims because of his injury/inexperience but It wouldn't ruin my Thursday. I like Orhorhoro and like everyone else here, never had to pay for it. Jones, Hart, McCaffery and Bortolini all fill needs but not sure the later two satisfy 2024 issues. In all honesty, had to look up Watts. Another tweener but at 6.6, 275lbs and runs a 40 at around 4.65, 7th round is fine by me. I'd stick him at OLB in pass rushing downs instead of telling him to add weight.
Ok, would you be ok with this draft?

20- Nate Wiggins CB
51- Kiran Amegadjie OT
84-Maason Smith DL
98- Beaux Limmer OC
119- Johnny Wilson WR
178- Marist Liufua ILB
195- Javon Solomon Edge

Or

20- Brian Thomas Jr WR
51- Kiran Amegadjie OT
84- Maason Smith DL
98- Cam Hart CB
119- Mason McCormick G/C
178- Marist Liufua ILB
195- Eric Watts DL

See there’s a ton of combinations to fill all the teams needs. I wouldn’t be opposed to drafting a OC in round one or two but I just feel we could probably fill that hole later.

Steelmann

Reaction score
I think they are on the radar for at least the 2nd round. It's where we drafted Dirt, maybe the best OC we ever drafted. I know I might get flamed for saything this, but Dirt was better than Pouncey.
Pouncey wasn’t even in the same league as Dirt. And I could care less if I get flamed for saying Dirt was better than Mike Webster.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, would you be ok with this draft?

20- Nate Wiggins CB
51- Kiran Amegadjie OT
84-Maason Smith DL
98- Beaux Limmer OC
119- Johnny Wilson WR
178- Marist Liufua ILB
195- Javon Solomon Edge

Or

20- Brian Thomas Jr WR
51- Kiran Amegadjie OT
84- Maason Smith DL
98- Cam Hart CB
119- Mason McCormick G/C
178- Marist Liufua ILB
195- Eric Watts DL

See there’s a ton of combinations to fill all the teams needs. I wouldn’t be opposed to drafting a OC in round one or two but I just feel we could probably fill that hole later.
Neither really

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
would all be ok with this fills all the holes
28 RT LathamUBA instant starter 7-10 years
51 C Frazier WVU is another long-term starter and will be the anchor of the OL
84 CB Jackson Oregon big rangy fast CB
104 DT Taylor Miami is a big fast DT to eventually replace Cam
119 WR BakerUCF big fast WR
162 S Smith UGA good prospect to groom to play in the dime
178 WR Johnson Michigan Excellent run blocker, superb speed runs good routes reliable hands
195 ILB Barrtett Michigan high iq LB always in right play right time

madinsomniac

Reaction score

Yeah webster was the perfect center for his era... but dawson could have probably added the weight to be a modern Center and still been athletic as hell... he was 6-2/6-3 ish and 288, which was huge for that time... now centers are 6/4 and play heavier, but with a fraction of the leverage older ones got...

Slaine

Still wants to trade Fu for a third
Forefather
Reaction score
At #20 we're at the tail end of the good OTs. I'm not convinced that the center's this year are all that past the first couple. And because of how we've managed FA we NEED to take a center that will start and while we have OTs, we would be so much better with a quality addition at RT.
Worst case scenario for me is taking a WR/CB in the first as that leaves us forcing things in the later rounds. I think we go OL/OL in round 1 & 2 and then pick up what we can. I do like the idea of Ruke Orhorhoro being drafted as a Cam replacement though but I'm not sure that we can afford to do that this year.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Pouncey wasn’t even in the same league as Dirt. And I could care less if I get flamed for saying Dirt was better than Mike Webster.
The only Steeler Jersey I own is Dirt Dawson, huge fan. If I were to build the perfect Steeler's roster and I had to pick a center, it would be Iron Mike with Dirt backing him up and then Ranger Mansfield in third. Pouncey was a very good center but not in the league as the others before him. Hell, he didn't even have a nickname. :D

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
The only Steeler Jersey I own is Dirt Dawson, huge fan. If I were to build the perfect Steeler's roster and I had to pick a center, it would be Iron Mike with Dirt backing him up and then Ranger Mansfield in third. Pouncey was a very good center but not in the league as the others before him. Hell, he didn't even have a nickname. :D
Yeah but Pounce gets points for coming to Rudy's rescue.

Steelmann

Reaction score
Yeah webster was the perfect center for his era... but dawson could have probably added the weight to be a modern Center and still been athletic as hell... he was 6-2/6-3 ish and 288, which was huge for that time... now centers are 6/4 and play heavier, but with a fraction of the leverage older ones got...
Mike Webster was 6”1…….playing weight of 260 pounds that he had to gain weight to get to. Such a difference in sizes In the different decades.
And of course training with health /eating regimes.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Mike Webster was 6”1…….playing weight of 260 pounds that he had to gain weight to get to. Such a difference in sizes In the different decades.
And of course training with health /eating regimes.
Steroids helped too...just saying.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Not really, Sweat had Limmer five to six yards deep in another rep in about 1.5 seconds before Limmer started to plant himself. Fiske ripped by Limmer's left, if the QB moved one yard to his right he was done. Regardless, Limmer was far from impressive, at least on that day when he knew what his assignment was.

Rep 1(11 sec)- Sweat- Loss
Rep 2(1:02)- Sweat- Win
Rep 3(2:20)- Sweat- I guess you are saying this is a loss. Sweat gets on Limmer with power initially but Limmer resets so I would say this is a neutral play. If this is a win for Sweat then he won every rep vs everyone else besides Limmer. 3:30 vs Coleman. 5:22 vs Robinson.
Rep 4(5:28)- Fiske- Win- Fiske does a swim move but Limmer keeps his feet and pushes him past the QB.

Rep 1- Crumedy- Win
Rep 2- Sweat- Win
Rep 3- Jackson- Win
Then they start practicing and not one on ones.

Rep 4- Limmer gets to the second level but the LB does get off his block. There's good and bad about this play. Good he identifies and gets to his guy immediately. But the defender uses his arms to push Limmer back and get off his block and into the play.
Rep 5- Win in pass blocking
Rep 6- Win text book screen set up. Stones his man and creates a wall.
Rep 7- Win
Rep 8 and 9 are from the first vid.
Rep 10- Win. Uses Fiske's aggressiveness to move him out of the gap.
Rep 11- Win
Rep 12- Win
Rep 13- Win
Rep 14- Win
Rep 15- Win. Walls off his man again to give the RB his back.
Rep 16- Win
Rep 17- Loss
Rep 18- WIn
Rep 19- Win
Rep 20- Win
Rep 21- Win

Here's Jackson Powers-Johnson

Rep 1- :)10)- Carter- Win- But you might count this as a loss as he gets club armed initially. I call this a win because he re-sets and re-directs after the initially hit.
Rep 2- (6:20)- Michael Hall- Win- Again you might call this a loss because Hall gets past him but it is a win because he uses Halls aggressiveness to get him past the QB.
Rep 3- (7:00)- Tyler Davis- Win- Davis uses power very well but JPJ keeps his feet and absorbs it.
Rep 4- (9:50)- Tyler Daivs- Win- Again, Davis gets to JPJ initially but JPJ keeps his feet and directs him.

The one-on-one stuff you really have to look at the film. Normally, interior linemen have help from both sides and that is why they win more often than not during game play. But in one-on-one they typically have to redirect. I would love to see what JPJ does vs Sweat as he did not have to deal with that kind of strength. And JPJ has strong hands so it would have been a good match up.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
kinda feel like we're waiting to see the status of Conor Williams - that if we do not get one of the top 3 Centers (JPJ, Frazer, Van Pran-Granger) then we'll sign Williams to a prove-it deal due to his ACL.

hell, we could even be doing the same with Mekhi Becton, since he has injury concerns, too.

If we got just one of those guys, it would drastically change how we entered the draft.

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
The one-on-one stuff you really have to look at the film. Normally, interior linemen have help from both sides and that is why they win more often than not during game play. But in one-on-one they typically have to redirect. I would love to see what JPJ does vs Sweat as he did not have to deal with that kind of strength. And JPJ has strong hands so it would have been a good match up.
Would of liked to watch JPJ as well. Your correct that centers don't usually play on an island and these drills reflect a third and long since the defender is just pinning his ears back but the center also knows that the guy opposite him is coming and needs to get set. Limmer worries me because of his lower body strength and ability to drive. Not saying he can't play in the NFL but I'm definitely not as high on him as you.

kinda feel like we're waiting to see the status of Conor Williams - that if we do not get one of the top 3 Centers (JPJ, Frazer, Van Pran-Granger) then we'll sign Williams to a prove-it deal due to his ACL.

hell, we could even be doing the same with Mekhi Becton, since he has injury concerns, too.

If we got just one of those guys, it would drastically change how we entered the draft.
Been thinking about that as well, bring another Mason Cole type to battle with Herbig until Williams is ready to go. Wondering if they're just monitoring Williams' recovery and believe he'll be ready to go sooner than later.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Herbig makes me more uneasy at C than Cole did. And as I've pointed out, Herbig couldn't beat out Cole last season to start.

just an off-the-wall... if we got say Mims/Latham and moved Jones to LT, would Daniels be ok at Center? Then we could move Moore to RG. or even Spencer Anderson at C?