• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Drop algebra to improve graduation rate

You do? Is this a recent thing? I never had anything above Algebra II in high school, never even had Geometry. The highest Math course I had to take in College was Statistics which was way easier than Algebra. I didn't even have to take any higher level Math in Grad school. If you are a MATH related major in college you have to have those high level Math classes. If you are a non Math related major you only need to take the basic Math courses required and take the high level courses in your subject area. I was a Psychology major with a double minor in Sociology and History. Math was an almost non existent part of the coursework related to my field....which was one of the reasons I chose that field.

In the CA system you can't take Statistics until you pass Algebra 2. That's how they get you: with prerequisites. And it sucks too, because I think quite a few people drop out of college here because they can't handle higher math. Which, again, they're NEVER GOING TO USE EVER IN LIFE EXCEPT TO PASS THAT CLASS.

if you're too ******* stupid to pass algebra you don't deserve a ******* degree

If you're too ******* stupid to capitalize the first letter of a sentence, you don't deserve to be a ******* moderator.

See. I can say silly and irrelevant **** too.

You do? Is this a recent thing? I never had anything above Algebra II in high school, never even had Geometry. The highest Math course I had to take in College was Statistics which was way easier than Algebra. I didn't even have to take any higher level Math in Grad school. If you are a MATH related major in college you have to have those high level Math classes. If you are a non Math related major you only need to take the basic Math courses required and take the high level courses in your subject area. I was a Psychology major with a double minor in Sociology and History. Math was an almost non existent part of the coursework related to my field....which was one of the reasons I chose that field.

It depends on the school. I was a Comm major in Community College and still was required to take "College Algebra" as part of my core. That equated to Algebra II. Where you went to school probably didn't require it. Now, when I graduated with my Associate degree and went on to University, I switched to Business Management which required a lot more math-related courses (statistics, financial and managerial Accounting, Business Calc, etc.).

Still though, I will argue that most people use Algebra (or Algebraic concepts) every day, they just don't realize they are doing it.

In the CA system you can't take Statistics until you pass Algebra 2. That's how they get you: with prerequisites. And it sucks too, because I think quite a few people drop out of college here because they can't handle higher math. Which, again, they're NEVER GOING TO USE EVER IN LIFE EXCEPT TO PASS THAT CLASS.
I don't know how one studies statistics without a base in algebra. I started algebra in junior high. It's not "higher math". Pretty much basic ****.

I wonder how many of the classes you've taken in your life had real relevance to you after that class. Do you diagram a lot of sentences in your day to day life? That's a bullshit argument.

I was grat at maths, anglish and evrything in btnw. I was soo good teachr whanted me back fr anoter yeer, so I gat to go back and do hole class ovr egen.

A better question is: why do you need it? WTF does an pre-law major need with trigonometry? It's a waste of time to learn something you'll never use again, and won't retain anyway.

False. I have been a lawyer for 26 years. I took two semesters of calculus in college, and my abilities in mathematics have been profoundly useful in my practice.

Specifically, as I noted previously, I depose experts in fields such as accident reconstruction and economics. These experts have opinions based substantially on math, including algebra and trigonometry. I understand their opinions because of my background in math. I can therefore cross-examine the experts competently.

If I had no math background and did not understand the expert's opinions and reports, I could not do my job as well.

I use algebra almost every day....

oh douchebag. you're out of your element on this subject as well.

careers that use algebra, in one way or another:
http://work.chron.com/five-jobs-include-algebra-18300.html

Civil Engineers
Plumbers
Database Administrators
Programmers
Nurses

I doubt writers, journalists and actors do, though.

I'd almost expect NASA to use some form of algebra, in different intervals.

I'd almost expect you to be so full of **** that it flows from your every orifice.

and, before you get all pissy, I'm 100% not a fan of math. Hated it. Always have. When I started my Bacherlor's, College Algebra was a requirement. I passed it in high school, but needed assistance this go around. Same functions, equations, etc. So I asked a friend of mine if he could help me. Help me, he did. Why? Algebra was/is one component of his job environment. He's an actuary.

Starting salary for an actuary, on average is $63k.
http://www1.salary.com/Actuary-I-Salaries.html

Sometimes I wish I could devote more of my time to math. It's interesting and is awesome at computing distance, etc.

ever shoot a gun? MOA is a form of algebra
http://nssf.org/video/facts/MOA.cfm

Last edited:
That's because you're a nerd.

I use it almost daily to. I drive a fuel tanker and trying to put 5,000 gallons of fuel in a tank that only has space of 1,300 gallons can be problematic and make an incredibly flammable dangerous mess.

Problem starts with, No child left behind program. In my school we had older kids taking courses over or the year over. Would prefer that over everyone passes and everyone gets a ribbon bullshit!

algebra is not a useless skill. Only people who don't understand it say that. I use it quite often. Do i often write out equations with x and y? No, but that's not the point of algebra.

Algebra is just a logical method to solve for an unknown.

10 + 5 = 15 is arithmetic. You just add 2 known values.

What if you work in a store doing inventory and the boss says to make sure you have 100 widgets in stock and to order enough so you have 100. You count and find you have 75 widgets in stock. How many do you have to order?

Congrats, you just did algebra in your head. Here's how that looks on paper.
75 + x = 100
x = 100 - 75
X = 25

There really isn't that much memorization in math. There are rules to be followed. You memorize the rules, but that goes for anything.

There is far more memorization in language. Just think of all the grammar rules and then all the vocabulary words and then the spelling of all those words. That's a ton to remember. Far more than you'd have to memorize to do math. You can't "figure out" a vocabulary word, you have to memorize it.

Aside from the math rules (similar to grammar rules), the only memorization is basics like memorizing addition and subtraction from 1-10 and times tables from 1 - 12. Other than that, it's just learning the rules and the logic behind the procedure. And when you understand the logic, you can solve problems.

I use Algebra all of the time. I can't imagine dropping it from the required curriculum. We might as well stop trying to meet any world standards. Maybe that's what they want.

Liberals only apply to their standards. Again, liberalism is something that aims for equality but at a cost. I dont like it. Whoever wins the upcoming presidential elecetion--that's the direction this country will head imo

Problem starts with, No child left behind program. In my school we had older kids taking courses over or the year over. Would prefer that over everyone passes and everyone gets a ribbon bullshit!

This. When I was in HS, kids didn't move on to the next semester of math (regardless of level) until they passed. Some kids took Algebra 1, first semester 3 times before passing. But they HAD to take it. Actually, it was that way for ANY class. And if you didn't pass English, you didn't move up a grade level. You could pass every other class, but if you failed English as a Freshman, you stayed a Freshman until you passed.

This. When I was in HS, kids didn't move on to the next semester of math (regardless of level) until they passed. Some kids took Algebra 1, first semester 3 times before passing. But they HAD to take it. Actually, it was that way for ANY class. And if you didn't pass English, you didn't move up a grade level. You could pass every other class, but if you failed English as a Freshman, you stayed a Freshman until you passed.
That would be clearly a racist policy these days.

That would be clearly a racist policy these days.

Ironic, because my HS was 99% white back then, and it's 90% white now. So it's racist against whites!!!!

Last week my 4th grader had a ***** of a spelling list. They were the hardest words I've seen her bring home all year. We went over them each night after dinner. I had her write the ones that got wrong three times. The test was Thursday. Only two people in the class passed. My daughter knows that she was one of them. Some kids claimed that they never got the list. The teacher handed out the lists again and said they would be re-tested the next day, including the two that passed. Her reason? She didn't want the kids who failed to feel bad. That ***** wasted an opportunity to make an example out of the two kids who studied and succeeded. Makes me sick.

And the attack on islamic ideals has begun. First they're phasing out Algebra. What's next? Alchemy and Alcohol?

If you don't know, all of these Al words and studies originated in the middle east.

And the attack on islamic ideals has begun. First they're phasing out Algebra. What's next? Alchemy and Alcohol?

If you don't know, all of these Al words and studies originated in the middle east.

Yep... My courses of study were more Latin than Islamic, but the point is the same. We're phasing out Latin (or Classical) education as well. GRBkid #1 took Latin this year for one semester (7th grade) and his English scores have gone from A- to A+...all because of root words and associations. Studying Western Civ helps with Civics and Political Science, etc, etc...

Point is, we need to make the basic studies (Latin and Islamic Studies) standard for all pre-secondary and secondary educations...and No, I don't mean religion