• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ezekiel Elliot likely to play whole season

Stoney

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20631811/judge-grants-temporary-restraining-order-request-dallas-cowboys-running-back-ezekiel-elliott

FRISCO, Texas -- Federal judge Amos Mazzant on Friday granted a request by the NFL Players Association for a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction to prevent the implementation of the six-game suspension for Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott.

Elliott was already eligible to play in Sunday's season opener against the New York Giants, but his suspension for violating the league's personal conduct policy was to begin Monday. With the injunction granted, Elliott likely will be able to continue playing as the legal process plays out.

If the request had been denied, Elliott would have appealed to the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals to ask for an immediate stay.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Cowboys' chances improve with Ezekiel Elliott likely to play all season
A judge's injunction Friday will get Ezekiel Elliott on the field for the Cowboys, where his presence helps not only the offense but the defense, too.
"We are very pleased that Mr. Elliott will finally be given the opportunity to have an impartial decision-maker carefully examine the NFL's misconduct," Elliott's attorneys said in a statement Friday night. "This is just the beginning of the unveiling of the NFL's mishandling as it relates to Mr. Elliott's suspension."

On Aug. 11, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announced Elliott's six-game suspension after the league found that he inflicted physical harm on former girlfriend Tiffany Thompson in July 2016 in Columbus, Ohio. Elliott has denied the claims.

Columbus authorities did not pursue charges against Elliott, but the league's personal conduct policy has a lower burden of proof threshold than criminal convictions. Goodell worked with a four-person advisory committee to determine whether Elliott deserved to be punished. However, it was revealed during the appeal process that Kia Roberts, the NFL's lead investigator, had issues with Thompson's credibility and that she would not have recommended discipline for Elliott based on what she had found.

On Tuesday, appeals officer Harold Henderson upheld the suspension as Mazzant was hearing the NFLPA's request for the TRO at the Paul Brown District Court in Sherman, Texas.

"The question before the Court is merely whether Elliott received a fundamentally fair hearing before the arbitrator. The answer is he did not," Mazzant wrote in his ruling Friday. "The Court finds, based upon the injunction standard, that Elliott was denied a fundamentally fair hearing by Henderson's refusal to allow Thompson and Goodell to testify at the arbitration hearing."

Mazzant also wrote that "the NFL's breach of the [collective bargaining agreement] is only compounded by Henderson's breach of the CBA. Specifically, Henderson denied access to certain procedural requirements, which were necessary to be able to present all relevant evidence at the hearing."

The NFL, in a statement released later Friday, said it disagreed with the court's assertion.

"We strongly believe that the investigation and evidence supported the Commissioner's decision and that the process was meticulous and fair throughout," the league said.

In his ruling, Mazzant noted that the court was not ruling on whether there was credible evidence that Elliott committed domestic abuse.

At the heart of the NFLPA's case is what it believes is a lack of "fundamental fairness," in the appeals process, noting Henderson was not an independent arbitrator and they were not allowed to question Thompson about the series of events two summers ago.

"Commissioner discipline will continue to be a distraction from our game for one reason: because NFL owners have refused to collectively bargain a fair and transparent process that exists in other sports," the NFLPA said in a statement later Friday. "This 'imposed' system remains problematic for players and the game, but as the honest and honorable testimony of a few NFL employees recently revealed, it also demonstrates the continued lack of integrity within their own League office."

The Cowboys did not comment on the court's decision.

Elliott posted a video on Instagram with the caption: "Momma told me if ya fall never stay down."

After Henderson's ruling, the NFL filed a lawsuit asking a federal court in New York to enforce Elliott's suspension. The Southern District of New York falls under the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which last year backed Goodell's four-game suspension of New England quarterback Tom Brady in the "Deflategate'' case.

Brady won in federal court before the league prevailed, but the legal process delayed the suspension for a year. The five-time Super Bowl champion served the punishment at the start of last season.

New Orleans running back Adrian Peterson, who was suspended over a child abuse case in Texas while with Minnesota, had his punishment upheld by Henderson and later overturned by a federal judge.

In its statement released Friday night, the NFL said "it will review the decision [by Mazzant] in greater detail and discuss next steps with counsel, both in the district court and federal court of appeals."

The NFL stiffened penalties in domestic cases three years after the league was sharply criticized for its handling of the domestic case involving former Baltimore running back Ray Rice.

Elliott, meanwhile, rushed for 1,631 yards as a rookie to help the Cowboys to the best record in the NFC at 13-3. He was a full practice participant throughout training camp but played in just one preseason game, same as a year ago when Elliott missed significant time at camp because of a hamstring injury.

Chris Andrews, an oddsmaker from The South Point, told ESPN that the Cowboys' odds to win Super Bowl LII moved from 15-1 to 12-1 after Friday's ruling was announced. The odds for the Cowboys winning the NFC title moved from 8-1 to 6-1, Andrews said.

Information from ESPN's Adam Schefter and Ben Fawkes and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

This taking things to the courts is getting absolutely ridiculous. You are an employee of a billion dollar company that has rules set in place, rulse that you as a player, team, owner agreed upon with the signing of the CBA. Don't be an asshat and you won't have to deal with a suspension. And these federal courts that are interveining, don't you have MUCH more important things to deal with? I can't even imagine taking my employer to court after a suspension from me doing something stupid.

Meanwhile in Pittsburgh, our guys screw up, and they serve their time.

Looks likd Jerry had an envelope ready to help persuade.

This taking things to the courts is getting absolutely ridiculous. You are an employee of a billion dollar company that has rules set in place, rulse that you as a player, team, owner agreed upon with the signing of the CBA. Don't be an asshat and you won't have to deal with a suspension. And these federal courts that are interveining, don't you have MUCH more important things to deal with? I can't even imagine taking my employer to court after a suspension from me doing something stupid.

they go to court because the NFL did not follow it's own rules.

For deflate-gate, the court ruled that th NFL had wide latitude and they were allowed to suspend Brady as long as he got a fair hearing. Brady was suspended mainly because he hindered the investigation and there was evidence he was guilty. Maybe not enough for a court of law, but there was enough to reasonably conclude Brady did something. The court upheld the NFL's rights in the CBA.

Now with Elliott, it appears there was no real hearning at all. Reports are Elliott and the Cowboys have been cooperating for a year in the investigation. Both the cops and the NFL's own investigator said there should be nor punishment because the girl's story has holes in it. They showed evidence of her trying to blackmail Elliott. Goodell essentially ignored all evidence and just gave out a pre-determined penalty.

The court pretty much said Goodell just made up this penalty out of thin air.

I hope this leads to Goodell being shown the door.

His suspension wasn't about one incident its about his behavior getting out of control and the commis has a lot of discretion... the judge is probably a cowboys fan... the band will stand... I hope he services his time during stretch run time hahaha what would be cool...

I wish the Rooneys would have done the same for Ben. This "tarnishing the shield" bs has to stop. The Rog is too random in the harshness of the penalties he doles out.

League office continues to make themselves into clowns. Embarrassing

It's bs. Bryant gets what..a year and 6 months suspension for pot.

It's hard to use Bryant as an example as he was FAILING drug test(s) faster than a bachelor rabbit in the spring. Bryant's punishment is well defined with in the CBA. It doesn't seem right but that is what was negotiated. It's the part of dicipline in the CBA that gives the "rog" HUGE power at his degresion.

Ben Rothlessberger would be a more close comparison to Elliot. Ben's SUSPENTION was due to giving the "black eye" to the NFL or as some say, tarnishing the shield. Elliot has done that as well. Ben had unproven allegations levied towards him similar or alledegedly as Elliot has. Elliot has several more "black eye" incidences with one of them being pulling a WOMANS top down durring a very publicized parade. His multiple incidences, such as Ben had, should be enough to merit SUSPENTION. WHeather he was arrested or not the SUSPENTION will be served. That statement would hold true used in either of the two's ordeal. Think about it, near same instances for both.

There was a reason the PITTSBURGH STEELERS were the ONLY team who voted against the CBA and their vote was unanimous in the player association's vote for their team. I'm not sure if this vote took place prior or after BEN's incident but the none the less the STEELERS players were on top of it.

Salute the nation

Last edited:

Jerry Jones is the reason.

When CBA is up I think we will be having a significant period of time without football . . .

I'm thinking you are right. One big factor though is these players can't save a nickel if their life depended on it. It will come down to money as to how long they will hold out. It wasn't negotiations that ended the last as it was fear of missing paychecks that got the CBA ratified. Short sightedness and all me me me me me will lead the ratification vote. Then nothing but bitching and crying about it.

Salute the nation

Because for some reason they choose not to play dirty and take Goodell to court.

This is pretty much in accurate. Ben did get dropped down to 4 games from 6. And lets not forget about Ernie Holmes and his shotgun. Nothing ever came up of this did it. Joey Porter was possibly involved in the Michael Vick dog fighting gang. ( You just don't let your dogs loose and kill horses). James Harrison beats his wife. Terry Bradshaw and Jojo Starbuck...Dan Rooney and the Chief were 2 of the most influential owners in the league.

This is pretty much in accurate. Ben did get dropped down to 4 games from 6. And lets not forget about Ernie Holmes and his shotgun. Nothing ever came up of this did it. Joey Porter was possibly involved in the Michael Vick dog fighting gang. ( You just don't let your dogs loose and kill horses). James Harrison beats his wife. Terry Bradshaw and Jojo Starbuck...Dan Rooney and the Chief were 2 of the most influential owners in the league.

When did Joey Porter live in Newport News, VA?

When did Joey Porter live in Newport News, VA?

He didn't. Didn't have to live there to be involved. Just a personal theory. Where there's smoke, there's fire. I do feel there were others involved and Vick took the pinch and didn't rat anyone else out. That's over and done with so....

He didn't. Didn't have to live there to be involved. Just a personal theory. Where there's smoke, there's fire. I do feel there were others involved and Vick took the pinch and didn't rat anyone else out. That's over and done with so....

Interesting, I'd like to hear more because I've never heard that theory. Perhaps that is why Joey was shot in Denver?

Interesting, I'd like to hear more because I've never heard that theory. Perhaps that is why Joey was shot in Denver?

That was in 2003. It's quite possible. Anything is. I started to wonder that after the dog fighting ring got busted, Porters dogs mauling a miniature horse and being shot like Forrest Gump. I don't recall and didn't find any results of witnesses for or against Vick when he was sentenced. The world will never know. When I thought about it makes crazy sense to me.