• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

FAA to charge $5 drone registry fee starting Dec. 21

Spike

Reaction score
WASHINGTON - Owners of consumer drones will have to begin registering with the U.S. government starting next week under a policy issued in time for the expected holiday buying rush.

All but the smallest toys will qualify for tracking by the Federal Aviation Administration as the agency attempts to impose order on the burgeoning hobbyist use of the unmanned craft. Drones must be registered starting Dec. 21 and the agency will charge a $5 fee, which is required under current law, according to the FAA.

"Make no mistake: unmanned aircraft enthusiasts are aviators, and with that title comes a great deal of responsibility," Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said at press conference Monday. "Registration gives us an opportunity to work with these users to operate their unmanned aircraft safely."

The Consumer Technology Association, an electronics- industry trade group, blasted the FAA in a Dec. 10 press release for including a fee in the registration rule. The charge would be "essentially a drone tax" and would undermine the government's goal of getting widespread compliance, Douglas Johnson, vice president for technology policy, said in the release.

Civilian drones weighing more than 250 grams (0.55 pounds) must be registered and identified with markings so that authorities have a better chance of finding the owner in the event of an illegal flight or crash, Whitaker said. People can register once and apply it to multiple drones.

The registration is good for three years and there's a provision allowing someone to cancel a registration if they sell a drone.

The agency will not charge the $5 fee for the first 30 days, he said. Current U.S. law requires that the agency charge the fee, which is the same for small private planes and airliners, he said.

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/faa-...utm_campaign=Daily+Headlines&utm_medium=email

-------------------------------

Aviator Spike told you so

I wonder if these "Aviators" will be required to file flight plans.

A tax. More money for them to spend.

Isn't the drone proliferation kind of a big deal in bigger areas? For example I recently recall a crash on the way to las Vegas and drones were clogging up the airways.

The Drone War has begun

1439934815-droneshot.jpg

people are flying drones in restricted areas and above the ceiling that they are supposed to operate in. I don't see how registration will help that.

people are flying drones in restricted areas and above the ceiling that they are supposed to operate in. I don't see how registration will help that.

because when they shoot the ************ down, they can know who it's registered to.
we need Common Sense Drone laws.