• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Finally, progress over saving face.

Lets put this in perspective... all indications pointed to Pickett being on the roster until he bitched out... hell they let Russell Wilson leave the building without a contract because they weren't going to guarantee him a starters role and refused to offer anything of note to Chicago for Fields...

These are not moves you make when you are desperately trying to move on from a QB...

Wilson asked for first team reps in exchange for signing a sweetheart deal, kenny punkef out and they ditched him... then traded low for fields
there wasnt some great change of operation here .

If pickett hadnt been an entitled jerk, he probably still starts next year... I continue to think the narrative about the steelers really changing is more PR drivel from team lackey press buffoons...

Picket left a better chance to start here than where he went looking for a chance to play.

Philidelphia is set at starting qb, injury is only chance pickett will have to start.

Here, Pickett had to beat out an old "loss a steps" QB and a turn over machine to be starter. I think his chances were better here than there. Time will tell.

Pickett's not here so he really isn't on my radar anymore !!!

Salute the nation

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-ma...offseason-choosing-progress-over-saving-face/

I've been griping over this for years: making decisions based on saving face/protecting ego vs. doing the right thing. Bouncing Kenny is finally a sign of the latter. Madden may annoy some of you but when he's right he's right and he is here.

As usual at Steeler Nation, this has taken way too long, but at least it finally has happened.
Madden has hit a few homeruns with a couple of his lastest articles. I don't expect many to agree on here though. Unfortunately the truth....is the truth.

Picket left a better chance to start here than where he went looking for a chance to play.

Philidelphia is set at starting qb, injury is only chance pickett will have to start.

Here, Pickett had to beat out an old "loss a steps" QB and a turn over machine to be starter. I think his chances were better here than there. Time will tell.

Pickett's not here so he really isn't on my radar anymore !!!

Salute the nation
He simply might have wanted to play for a better organization.....one that doesn't blatantly lie to your face.

That said. I hope Wilson balls out in 2024. I would prefer Fields but that doesnt looks like the hand in play unless an injury or bad play. I won't wish for either. SB bound here we come!!!!

Last edited:
So are the Steelers finally getting back to what made them a respected franchise?

I don’t know if Tomlin can get them to the promis land of not.

I think the influence from the Younger Rooney will help in a lot of different ways.

If and when they do change over coaching, that will be a big factor as well.

We’ve seen 17years of how Tomlin‘s business BOOMs, so to hope for drastic change, seems out there.

Now with the Art 2 getting a little impatient——- well that HOT seat is starting to warm a little—- anything is possible.

Salute the nation

Reactions: MTC

I think the influence from the Younger Rooney will help in a lot of different ways.

We’ve seen 17years of how Tomlin‘s business BOOMs, so to hope for drastic change, seems out there.

Now with the Art 2 getting a little impatient——- well that HOT seat is starting to warm a little—- anything is possible.

Salute the nation
Truth speak!!!!

He simply might have wanted to ay for a better organization.....one that doesn't blatantly lie to your face.

That said. I hope Wilson balls out in 2024. I would prefer Fields but that doesnt looks like the hand in play unless an injury or bad play. I won't wish for either. SB bound here we come!!!!
We all work for a living. Would any of us say that our employers are always honest with us? What makes NFL players so special they expect honesty all the time? And anyway, is it the organization being dishonest or is it situations changing? For example, the way LeVeon Bell was playing in 2014, why the hell would you take him off the field too much for Blount? So maybe they told Blount something, but Bell was just so good it behooved them to keep him on the field.

I like Kenny Pickett and would have liked to see things work out in Pittsburgh. I was pulling for him. But the truth is he didn't play well enough to have any type of promises from the organization.

We all work for a living. Would any of us say that our employers are always honest with us? What makes NFL players so special they expect honesty all the time? And anyway, is it the organization being dishonest or is it situations changing? For example, the way LeVeon Bell was playing in 2014, why the hell would you take him off the field too much for Blount? So maybe they told Blount something, but Bell was just so good it behooved them to keep him on the field.

EXACTLY, situations change on a regular basis, no set time frame for them.

When Pickett chose to not suit up for backup duties, I’m sure that changed Art 2’s perspective a lot. Dominos’ on down.

Salute the nation

Perhaps. I don't disagree with you there. My question more is can it be dealt with successfully? Only gonna get worse with NIL.

Boy that is true statement if there ever was one. You can already see it with the constant migration of players from school to school. If you don't kiss *** and get them whatever they want,they bolt. I can see why Saban retired.

That's what is coming down the pipeline to the NFL and with each draft it will get worse.

I like Kenny Pickett and would have liked to see things work out in Pittsburgh. I was pulling for him. But the truth is he didn't play well enough to have any type of promises from the organization.

You go fight for it and if it really means something you will.

I don't feel too bad for him he got 14 million out of it.

You got me? In the end though.....they left Blount go and started this nice little trend of......volunteers not hostages.

Boy that is true statement if there ever was one. You can already see it with the constant migration of players from school to school. If you don't kiss *** and get them whatever they want,they bolt. I can see why Saban retired.

That's what is coming down the pipeline to the NFL and with each draft it will get worse.
A few years ago I was talking to an ex-Marine who in his last few years in the Corps was running ROTC programs in colleges. Anyway, one of his officers in training went down to the shore for a few days. He got drunk with some buddies and they piled up beach furniture and made a bonfire out of it. Kind of funny, but not to the Marine Corps after he was arrested. The ex-Marine refused to recommend him for advancement due to the incident. The kids parents called and complained!!! Could you imagine...a parent calling up the Marine Corps and complaining over the treatment of their son. But this is where we are today. I don't necessarily have a problem with NIL in the sense that why should the school profit off of the kids name, image or likeness? But it sure as hell isn't gonna help immature kids who have had their ***** kissed since the 3rd grade grow up and mature.

You got me? In the end though.....they left Blount go and started this nice little trend of......volunteers not hostages.
I got you? I don't know what that means. I'm not trying to get anybody. I just don't agree with your conclusions in this particular case.

Salute the nation
Seems like the Steelers and Penguins are in similar situations however the Steelers are looking to make key moves this offseason.

I’ll have to wait until the Pens offseason to make a full comparison.

I've posted this in detail previously. Not gonna repeat it. Bottom line, there are certain truths that the Steelers don't want the press to cover and if they do they take away "team privileges."
You have? Was there any proof to your assertions, or was it more speculative nonsense?

The job of the reporters on the Steelers is...to report on the Steelers. Not to express the frustrations of the fanbase. Look, there have been times I wish the reporters would ask more provocative questions. Or even ask the next question. But I also know that if they did, the answers would not be satisfactory to me. So at the end of the day, what difference does it make?

A few years ago I was talking to an ex-Marine who in his last few years in the Corps was running ROTC programs in colleges. Anyway, one of his officers in training went down to the shore for a few days. He got drunk with some buddies and they piled up beach furniture and made a bonfire out of it. Kind of funny, but not to the Marine Corps after he was arrested. The ex-Marine refused to recommend him for advancement due to the incident. The kids parents called and complained!!! Could you imagine...a parent calling up the Marine Corps and complaining over the treatment of their son. But this is where we are today. I don't necessarily have a problem with NIL in the sense that why should the school profit off of the kids name, image or likeness? But it sure as hell isn't gonna help immature kids who have had their ***** kissed since the 3rd grade grow up and mature.
Different generation, different society. These players are a product of their environment.
It’s not just the nfl dealing with these type of players.

Nba, nhl, mlb etc are all in a similar situation with different mentality players.

You have? Was there any proof to your assertions, or was it more speculative nonsense?

The job of the reporters on the Steelers is...to report on the Steelers. Not to express the frustrations of the fanbase. Look, there have been times I wish the reporters would ask more provocative questions. Or even ask the next question. But I also know that if they did, the answers would not be satisfactory to me. So at the end of the day, what difference does it make?
It's OK if you choose to rationalize the un-openness of the Steelers to the media. And I mean that sincerely. That's your choice and whatever makes you happy, you do YOU. But you seem to be admitting that, yes, the media fails to ask some pretty obvious questions that should be ask, and we have seen what Tomlin's response is: he runs out of the presser all angry. Madden tends to cover those subjects that would make Shades run out of the room. It's your choice if you don't want to listen to or read his musings. No problem.

They traded Pickett because he asked for it, as did DJ... again this isnt some wholesale change in the way they operate... guys who dont want to be here are shipped out one way or another...
But, oh what they did to cause him to demand a trade most certainly was out of the ordinary. If you are denying that, well, let's just leave it at that. If you didn't notice a change in team tone from a few weeks ago to now....Art mouthed the words "I still believe in Kenny" to signing a veteran who has been to 2 SBs, winning one, and promising Russ a legit shot at the starting job. Some how the words "I still believe in Kenny" didn't hold the same weight.

Madden has hit a few homeruns with a couple of his lastest articles. I don't expect many to agree on here though. Unfortunately the truth....is the truth.
I'm with you: I don't expect everyone to agree with the truths Madden exposes. I'm fine with it. He isn't a "warm and fuzzy" type. But that doesn't bother me, but it rubs some the wrong way. So be it. His approach is brazen but it humors me, while at the same time exposing certain truths; the only reporter who will be open to exploring them. I find it refreshing.

That's what parents are supposed to do. Why aren't they?

That's what parents are supposed to do. Why aren't they?
No, they aren't. Once your little snowflake turns into a man, he needs to take accountability for his actions and fight his fights. Your job as a parent is to support him and guide him through his mistakes. In this scenario, he ****** up and the arrest blemished his advancement in the Corps. This young man needs to take it on the chin and do better to be a better man and a better Marine. I would be embarrassed and humiliated to hear that Mommy and Daddy called my first shirt to complain about my lack of promotion.

It's OK if you choose to rationalize the un-openness of the Steelers to the media. And I mean that sincerely. That's your choice and whatever makes you happy, you do YOU. But you seem to be admitting that, yes, the media fails to ask some pretty obvious questions that should be ask, and we have seen what Tomlin's response is: he runs out of the presser all angry. Madden tends to cover those subjects that would make Shades run out of the room. It's your choice if you don't want to listen to or read his musings. No problem.
It is not rationalization, it's reality. You seem at times to have a very sophomoric view of things. I would like to know what team, across any sports league, is honest and open with the media?
Could the media ask tougher questions? I guess, but to what end? I don't see that it would change much. Maybe it would make you feel better, but that's about it. Madden has an axe to grind for some reason or another. That should be taken into account whenever his ramblings are read. He is not objective, which should be the role of any reporter. A Steelers reporter has a job to do...report on the Steelers. If he or she is acting the asss all the time, they won't get much of anything, then you are left with what Madden does, write very speculative nonsense in a lot of cases.

Last edited:
It is not rationalization, it's reality. You seem at times to have a very sophomoric view of things. I would like to know what team, across any sports league, is honest and open with the media?
Could the media ask tougher questions? I guess, but to what end? I don't see that it would change much. Maybe it would make you feel better, but that's about it. Madden has an axe to grind for some reason or another. That should be taken into account whenever his ramblings are read. He is not objective, which should be the role of any reporter. A Steelers reporter has a job to do...report on the Steelers. If he or she is acting the asss all the time, they won't get much of anything, then you are left with what Madden does, write very speculative nonsense in a lot of cases.

That’s just it, Madden has no more access to the truth than any other reporter.

Salute the nation