• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

First Impressions of the Final Roster

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The final NFL cut deadline to 53 players was this week. Pittsburgh Steelers fans saw some surprising and some not-so-surprising names land on the cut list. Of course, the natural thing for fans to do is take a look at the final roster and see what Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin and company are working with going into the regular season. I for one am one of those fans that reads too deep into these types of things. With that said, here are my first impressions of the final 53-man roster. As a disclaimer, I’m writing this before the practice squad is announced. Here we go:

OFFENSE

The quarterback position and assumed depth chart seemed to have already been set after the Carolina Panthers game. However, the offensive line and running back depth was still very much up in the air. At running back, there was tight competition for the third and fourth spots. Assuming Anthony McFarland Jr. holds the second spot behind Najee Harris, we were watching Jaylen Samuels, Benny Snell, Trey Edmunds, and Kalen Ballage all compete for the final back-up roles. As it turns out, it looks like Snell’s 28-yard night in Carolina was enough to give him the nod over Samuels. This came as a bit of a surprise to me, seeing as though Snell was injured through much of camp and only saw action in the final preseason game, whereas Samuels participated in every game. I anticipate fans seeing Samuels land a spot on the practice squad.

Steeler Nation knew we were going to see a new offensive line in 2021, but we weren’t sure who exactly we’d see make the roster. This week, we saw Rashaad Coward, B.J. Finney, Chaz Green, and John Leglue fail to make the final roster. I know the depth chart has J.C. Hassenauer above rookie Kendrick Green, but assuming Green gets the start at center, the back-up role was a tight competition between Finney and Hassenauer. Finney is one player that coach Tomlin likes to keep around, so look for him to join the practice squad. Outside of him, I expect the Steelers to keep shopping for offensive line help in the coming week, specifically at offensive guard.

The wide receiver corps remains the same as it did in 2020. However in the preseason, we saw Cody White and Rico Bussey show that they can compete at the next level. Don’t be surprised if we not only see White and Bussey on the practice squad, but see some regular season playing time as well.

DEFENSE

Personally, I feel like a lot of the surprise cuts came on defense. First, linebackers. I was happy to see rookie Buddy Johnson’s name on the roster. However, after a sub-standard preseason, Robert Spillane remained on the final roster. Further not only was Spillane called back, but Ulysees Gilbert III as well. Both players were competing for back-up roles to Devin Bush and Joe Schobert and I was surprised to see both names on the final roster. I’m not sure if this is because coach Tomlin and defensive coordinator Keith Butler see something I don’t (which is most likely the case), or the depth at inside linebacker is so thin where they were forced to keep them on the team. Time will tell in determining how they’ll fit in the depth chart. Looking at the outside linebacker position, I was shocked to see rookie Quincy Roche’s name on the cut sheet. I still think Roche has a place in the NFL and am hoping it begins on the Steelers’ practice squad.

With the starting defensive line seemingly set (pending Stephon Tuitt updates), fans were mostly watching the competition at cornerback. In a camp that saw Antoine Brooks Jr., Shakur Brown, Mark Gilbert, and Donovan Stiner all compete for an inside slot role, all failed to make the team. It is worth mentioning that Brooks Jr. suffered an injury and I expect him to remain with the team. However, the Steelers kept only four cornerbacks on the roster and I expect them to sign more after players clear waivers this week. There are a lot of solid players available on the market, and I’m sure there was a strategy going into these cuts. Look for the Steelers to add new names before the regular season.

SPECIAL TEAMS

The Steelers have a changing of the guard at long snapper and punter. Pittsburgh native Christian Kuntz won the starting long snapper role over veteran Kameron Canaday. Since he started his NFL career in 2017, Kuntz has competed for linebacker positions for four teams, including the Steelers. He spent even some time in the XFL as a part of the Dallas Renegades, only to arrive back in Pittsburgh and moved to the starting long snapper spot. I like the move and am excited to see another hometown name play in the black and gold.

At punter, we saw veteran Jordan Berry get cut in favor of rookie Pressley Harvin III. The battle for the punter spot was a tight one that fans were watching closely and it looks like Harvin III won. If I’m being honest, I think it was time for a new face at punter and Harvin III is exactly what the Steelers’ special team needs. He can flip field position for the defense and force opposing offenses into bad spots. I’m eager to see what Harvin III can do this season.

What are your first thoughts on the final roster? Let us know in the comments!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I think they still have T concerns and to a lesser degree corner concerns. Hopefully they are working hard to bring in an addition or two.