• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

For better or (my opinion) worse we are stuck with it.

Not playing Mason over Trubisky all along was a massive coaching fail in my opinion and another reason why Tomlin should be criticized. His “thin line” answer was BS. Any fan at training camp could see Mason has the best arm on the team.
Yeah, but he can't just come out and tell you the real answer. You know just be blunt..the team politics won't allow it. And that is that Canada's offense required a mobile QB. Of the three Mason is the least mobile, so that's probably what went into that decision. They were probably hoping the o line would gel sooner and that Mitch wouldn't see the field...it all went South.

And the Tomlin apologist say the same thing, credit him for the finish, but never blame him for the poor play in the middle of the season. He didn't fire anyone, that was Rooney who fired Canada, who Tomlin hired in the first place. Tomlin hasn't won anything without Ben either, so...... It's the same thing almost every year, we get to end of the season and we're needing help to get in. Same as last year, we played crap teams/QB's down the stretch so everybody goes on about how great Tomlin is Crow to eat? We haven't won a playoff game in 6 years.
Gospel...

I don't think Rudy will be back. I think his improved play will earn him looks elsewhere. I would think he would go somewhere where is odds of starting are stronger..
He’s the starter here. I’m not sure there are many, if any, teams looking at him as a starter. Especially with this years QB class and other FA QBs. I think Rudolph has done enough that the job is now his to lose, but he’s played two of the worst defenses in the league and a Ravens defense with nothing to gain. I hope he proves me wrong, but I’m not sold on Rudolph just yet.

He’s the starter here. I’m not sure there are many, if any, teams looking at him as a starter. Especially with this years QB class and other FA QBs. I think Rudolph has done enough that the job is now his to lose, but he’s played two of the worst defenses in the league and a Ravens defense with nothing to gain. I hope he proves me wrong, but I’m not sold on Rudolph just yet.
I still think Pickett has a higher ceiling but needs better coaching, i.e. a new OC and QB coach both.

There's no way he can trust Tomlin to make it an open competition during the offseason/training camp/preseason. I think he and Kenny are both career back-ups which means we don't have a QB.

There's no way he can trust Tomlin to make it an open competition during the offseason/training camp/preseason. I think he and Kenny are both career back-ups which means we don't have a QB.
You know what they say about having two QBs.

Yeah, I suppose Trubisky is gone and they will sign a FA or draft a QB in the mid-late rounds, or both. Best chance for a quick fix is striking gold and finding the next Purdy.

So if Mason can come in against a good Buffalo team and play great then you will be correct - it was blind speculation.

If on the other hand Mason comes in against Buffalo and screws the pooch, then i was correct all along: Mason HASN'T playing been playing well at all.

Mind you if this scenario plays out, it will be Coach Cool Shades asking Mr. Pickett to try and save his *** after demonstrating to him, Pickett, that:
1. diva, slow as ****, *****-*** wide receivers are the most important players on the team and which are irreplaceable and cannot lose their starting job; and
2. said Head Coach has no idea what-the-**** he is doing because he cannot evaluate talent - even on a most basic level - at quarterback after all these years.

but by all means, Tomlin, go ahead and kill the confidence and trust of a soldier who took 3 fricken concussions for you last year and kept his mouth shut outside the locker room. See how that works out for ya.
AXMwe8.gif
Mason has a 118 QBR rating for the games he played
In 3 games Undefeated, He's unlocked Pickens, Harris and DJ best performances to date.

You are 100% wrong, Mason saved the season. period

The problem is, too often our backs are against the wall due to poor Tomlin decisions
Wow. Not so long ago, you used to be one of Tomlin's staunchest supporters. You've finally come around to reality. Good for you.

Last edited:
Tomlin haters are always going to hate. Your arguments are tired and boring. Aww, we didn't go to Rudolph fast enough. Well guess what? We still made the playoffs, and still would have been a wildcard.

None of you (me included) thought we had a chance at 7-7 off of back to back losses vs 2-10 teams
. Then had to face 3 tougher opponents the following 3 weeks and swept them. The difference between Tomlin and most teams when this happens, is Tomlin's leadership, and he never loses the men who believe in him in the locker room.

We are now playing our best football and made the playoffs with dogshit QB play. I'm starting to think this may be Tomlin's best year as a coach. Started strong, but won very close games we could have lost. Had to fire an OC for the first time in Steeler History, mid season. Reset the QB room, and when Kenny was healthy, it was his choice to stay with Rudolph.

I know the haters were waiting with bated breath to blame Tomlin for sticking with Rudolph against the Ravens. You have nothing but crow to eat my friends. Look at Bellicheck, he's supposed to be the best coach ever. Without Tom, he's the same loser coach he was in Cleveland.
Did you think that the Steelers "had a chance" when they were sitting at 7-4 just prior to playing those 2-10 teams?

Now we're supposed to kiss Tomlin's *** because they snuck into the playoffs, only after Jacksonville collapsed and won just one of their last six games? And they have to play Buffalo on the road as the biggest underdog in the playoffs? Wouldn't it have been better to play Houston?

I'm more of a Tomlin "disliker" than a "hater," but I'm a Steelers fan first. I was rooting for the Steelers to win last week, like I always do. And I'll be rooting for them to beat the Bills on Sunday. But when they inevitably lose, and probably get embarrassed, it won't change the mediocre outlook which this team has become shrouded in for over a decade now. Unless your hero somehow proves me wrong; then I'll be happy to eat that helping of crow you're serving.

By saying you're speculating, I'm referring to your criticism of the throw and play, saying it only worked because of this or that. It's just ridiculous.

He hit DJ perfecting in stride in terrible conditions.

If you want to say Rudolph was lucky there, you need to acknowledge that he was unlucky in the first quarter when he threw a near perfect fade pass down the sideline that DJ didn't even attempt to catch for whatever reason.

Rudolph may very well **** the bed against the Bills, but that would not mean he did not play well in these past three games.

There is no logic to that at all, as the dude has a QB rating of 118.

I've become about as critical of Tomlin as anyone, but the offense is performing better with Rudolph than it has in a long time, and Tomlin would be foolish to go back to Pickett right now.

I still like Pickett, believe he can develop and should compete with Rudolph for the job next summer, but sitting Rudolph right now makes no sense unless one either is crushing hard on Pickett and/or totally hates Rudolph for whatever reason.
Sometimes you have to create your own luck so if anyone wants to call Rudolph lucky, so be it. He created those opportunities. Just by pure luck the Steelers should've had a 400-yard game before they did and Pickett should've by pure luck had a breakout game and he hasn't yet.

With that said, I still think Pickett has a higher upside than Rudolph and I've seen him play at a very high level at Pitt. They'll have to bring in a very good offensive mind or Pickett will need to leave town to maximize his potential.

Did you think that the Steelers "had a chance" when they were sitting at 7-4 just prior to playing those 2-10 teams?

Now we're supposed to kiss Tomlin's *** because they snuck into the playoffs, only after Jacksonville collapsed and won just one of their last six games? And they have to play Buffalo on the road as the biggest underdog in the playoffs? Wouldn't it have been better to play Houston?

I'm more of a Tomlin "disliker" than a "hater," but I'm a Steelers fan first. I was rooting for the Steelers to win last week, like I always do. And I'll be rooting for them to beat the Bills on Sunday. But when they inevitably lose, and probably get embarrassed, it won't change the mediocre outlook which this team has become shrouded in for over a decade now. Unless your hero somehow proves me wrong; then I'll be happy to eat that helping of crow you're serving.
GREAT post. At this point of the season, it seemed virtually impossible for the Steelers to miss the playoffs and while maybe a little over confident, it actually felt like they had a chance to win the division. They laid an egg twice in one week at home. If I recall, the first time in NFL history a team lost to two 2-10 teams.

The easiest prediction in sports is for the Steelers to finish just above .500 and either sneak into the playoffs as the last seed or miss out by one spot. Business as usual. Again, that narrative can begin to shift in the positive direction with a win on Sunday.

Sometimes you have to create your own luck so if anyone wants to call Rudolph lucky, so be it. He created those opportunities. Just by pure luck the Steelers should've had a 400-yard game before they did and Pickett should've by pure luck had a breakout game and he hasn't yet.

With that said, I still think Pickett has a higher upside than Rudolph and I've seen him play at a very high level at Pitt. They'll have to bring in a very good offensive mind or Pickett will need to leave town to maximize his potential.
Yeah they need someone good at developing QBs. That is a must. Otherwise they are just wasting their time and ours.

That TD to Drops was a thing of beauty. Calling it a dumb throw is wrong, almost every throw has an element of “oh shyt” in it.

Pickett playing at a very high level in college is great, but the NFL is so much more difficult.

That TD to Drops was a thing of beauty. Calling it a dumb throw is wrong, almost every throw has an element of “oh shyt” in it.

Pickett playing at a very high level in college is great, but the NFL is so much more difficult.
Who called it a dumb throw?

Tomlin haters are always going to hate. Your arguments are tired and boring. Aww, we didn't go to Rudolph fast enough. Well guess what? We still made the playoffs, and still would have been a wildcard.

None of you (me included) thought we had a chance at 7-7 off of back to back losses vs 2-10 teams. Then had to face 3 tougher opponents the following 3 weeks and swept them. The difference between Tomlin and most teams when this happens, is Tomlin's leadership, and he never loses the men who believe in him in the locker room.

We are now playing our best football and made the playoffs with dogshit QB play. I'm starting to think this may be Tomlin's best year as a coach. Started strong, but won very close games we could have lost. Had to fire an OC for the first time in Steeler History, mid season. Reset the QB room, and when Kenny was healthy, it was his choice to stay with Rudolph.

I know the haters were waiting with bated breath to blame Tomlin for sticking with Rudolph against the Ravens. You have nothing but crow to eat my friends. Look at Bellicheck, he's supposed to be the best coach ever. Without Tom, he's the same loser coach he was in Cleveland.
Tomlin under achieved with a franchise QB though. A lot of Tomlin’s criticism lies within the fact he wasted away prime Ben Roethlisberger and surrounding roster. He inherited a veteran team and as that team aged/retired. The more flaws appeared.

Mason has a 118 QBR rating for the games he played
In 3 games Undefeated, He's unlocked Pickens, Harris and DJ best performances to date.

You are 100% wrong, Mason saved the season. period

i'd bet anything that Kenny would've looked the same as Mason against those **** defenses. i'd bet anything the wide receivers were unlocked by very ****** safety play.

Playoffs will be the real deal.

Of course if Mason is not the second coming of Jesus - then you just f*cked a potential superstar QB over for who?: a journeyman QB and a couple of slow but bitchy wide receivers who have a tendency to under-deliver on their athletic potential.

Who called it a dumb throw?
i called it a very very ****** and dumb throw. As a quarterback, you cannot throw that ****.

it was a duck. It spent way too much time in the air. AND more importantly, it was thrown to Drops on a post pattern against Cover 6/ Quarters coverage where the Raven's back-up's back-up SS was picking his nose and then took a terrifically bad angle on it.

I fear - and it's just my fear - that a good defense will eat Mason alive with interceptions. And you'll think that you are watching a completely different game, a completely different reality when Mason's ducks don't work.

I'd "almost" be satisfied if they just put forth a competitive effort and do not get absolutely stomped for the fifth straight post season game.

Under or over on 2 interceptions from Mason Rudolph then?

Bills D is tight. Playoffs are where things tighten up.

None of you (me included) thought we had a chance at 7-7 off of back to back losses vs 2-10 teams. Then had to face 3 tougher opponents the following 3 weeks and swept them. The difference between Tomlin and most teams when this happens, is Tomlin's leadership, and he never loses the men who believe in him in the locker room.

Why does Darth Hoodie's cheating have anything to do with Tomlin's performance?

Independently, Bellicheat can be a winner only by cheating, and Tomlin can be overrated and underachieving. Those are unrelated things.

Why does Darth Hoodie's cheating have anything to do with Tomlin's performance?

Independently, Bellicheat can be a winner only by cheating, and Tomlin can be overrated and underachieving. Those are unrelated things.
Some people just can’t accept that more than one thing can be true at the same time

I am divorced and remarried. I kind of look at a coaching change in a similar way. That is kind of what it would be like. I think some who want Tomlin gone think as soon as he goes...championships!!! I know I am overstating that, but I am exaggerating to clarify.

For example, in my first marriage, my wife had a little bit too much of a champagne taste on a beer budget. My second wife is great with that. However, when I did a project at home, my first wife just let me alone to do it, very few questions asked. She certainly never cared where or how I got rid of the stuff I was replacing. Soon after I was remarried, I replaced the pedestal sink in a bathroom with a vanity, and threw out the old sink and pedestal in the big garbage can. My wife actually went out there and tried to pull it out of the can! She said something about not wanting it in landfills. I said, "What the hell are landfills for?" So while budgeting is so much better, I gotta sneak stuff into the damn trash can everytime I do a job.

I just hope everyone realizes it'll be this way with a new coach. Sure, some of the weaknesses of Tomlin the new guy may do much better at. But he will have weaknesses too, which will reveal themselves over time. I keep coming back to Sirianni, but man, I thought he was gonna be great. He still may be, but the shine is sure off a bit now. What will the patience for the new guy be? They are calling for Sirianni's head in Philly and it's only been 3 years!