• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

FordFairLane's 2023 Big Board

FordFairLane

Reaction score

This was hastily thrown together trying to beat the combine. I will update after the combine but I wanted to see if what I was seeing on tape would translate to the hard numbers. I didn't look at other boards so mine will likely be a bit different than the others you see. I also do the board based on our offense and defensive schemes. I had notes I hand wrote and this is the final result of roughly 80 hours of film study. If you have any questions on a particular player I would be happy to elaborate my position and detail.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
While your rating of Tune is higher than I have been posting, I do believe it is possible. This doesn't appear to be a great QB class and I feel he does a lot of things well enough to go that high

You have Dell higher than I thought you would - hopefully he shows well this weekend at the combine

You seem to be missing Gervarrius Owens at Safety though. He was at the Shrine Bowl and earned himself a combine invite. I am interested to see how he tests out versus the other safeties on the board

While your rating of Tune is higher than I have been posting, I do believe it is possible. This doesn't appear to be a great QB class and I feel he does a lot of things well enough to go that high

You have Dell higher than I thought you would - hopefully he shows well this weekend at the combine

You seem to be missing Gervarrius Owens at Safety though. He was at the Shrine Bowl and earned himself a combine invite. I am interested to see how he tests out versus the other safeties on the board
Clayton Tune QB Houston
Strengths: Above average arm strength, not elite, but can make the throws required to in the NFL. Very good accuracy and ball placement. Eats up seam routes and will make defenses pay. Good decision making and ability to look off defenses and get to second and third reads. Will stand in the face of pressure and throw a decent ball but does have enough athleticism to evade and escape if need be. I predict a 4.7 forty time. Got better every year and has a lot of college experience.
Weaknesses: Good but not great arm strength. Will not get away with some of the throws he did in college. Sloppy footwork and will really need to tighten up in the NFL. Will need to learn to take snaps under center. Adjustment to NFL might take a season or two.
NFL Comparison: Kenny Pickett
Tank Dell WR Houston
Strengths: Excellent short area quickness and transition to long speed. Elusive and able to make guys miss using his feet. Dangerous with the ball in his hands. A threat to take it all the way every play. Routes are very crisp and precise. Very good speed and I predict he is a sub 4.4 guy. Dangerous return man.
Weaknesses: Vastly undersized. Probably only a slot receiver in the NFL. Not great hands and will drop some catchable balls. Not going to catch a lot of contested passes. Runs routes well but limited route tree.
NFL Comparison: Marquise Brown
Gervarrius Owens S Houston
Strengths: Good sized safety. Has enough speed to play in the NFL but not much more than that. Decent in coverage and shows good eyes and instincts. Hot motor and hustles to the ball.
Weaknesses: Probably a 4.65+ kind of guy. Hands are definitely DB hands. Takes some really poor angles and misses too many tackles. Probably a depth guy who might be able to show versatility and special teams ability to make a team. UDFA
NFL Comparison: Jordan Dangerfield

Anthony Richardson in the 4th
about right

even though some of these media idiots are pumping him to be the #1 overall.

I think you have solid set of rankings here. A few surprise names up high, others maybe lower than I've seen.

One name I have a question on is Drew Sanders. I've seen him mainly in the second or third and there are some concerns with his tackling. Thoughts?

Also, what puts Broderick Jones in the elite category? Given so few names there, what stands out from his game?

I too, was hoping for Drew Sanders with our 2nd 2nd round pick.

Can you give us your write up on him ?

ALSO, thanks for you effort involved for this big board. I like reading it every year, thanks again.

Salute the nation

I've seen Anthony Richardson move up to the 3rd or 4th QB to be taken. We'll see what he does at the combine. I'm guessing he is throwing.
I 🤔 nk I read he was throwing. I am hoping he goes before 17 of course.

I 🤔 nk I read he was throwing. I am hoping he goes before 17 of course.

Would that be fear of the STEELERS actually taking him at 1.17, but just him taking up a spot to allow a more specific need fall to us? I’m sure it’s the later of the two.

Salute the nation

Would that be fear of the STEELERS actually taking him at 1.17, but just him taking up a spot to allow a more specific need fall to us? I’m sure it’s the later of the two.

Salute the nation
Yes the later. Only couch can get them to draft a RB and or QB high in the draft.

I think you have solid set of rankings here. A few surprise names up high, others maybe lower than I've seen.

One name I have a question on is Drew Sanders. I've seen him mainly in the second or third and there are some concerns with his tackling. Thoughts?

Also, what puts Broderick Jones in the elite category? Given so few names there, what stands out from his game?
Sanders does have a high missed tackle rate. 22 last year. But that is not due to effort more due to lack of technique resulting from a position change. I see a lot of TJ Watt traits in him off the edge but he is not slouch playing ILB. I feel like he could play ILB and edge in our defense and could hedge against the Steeler not being able to re-sign Highsmith or to replace Watt in a couple years. Like I said I put my board on based on Steelers needs. He is position flexible and can get after the QB. I think with some coaching his tackling issues can be easily enough resolved. Now if he was timid and missing tackles he would fall on my board. But he is very physical and looks for the contact.

Drew Sanders LB/Edge Arkansas
Strengths: A+ Athlete. Twitchy with loose hips. Explosive when taking on OT's 100lbs bigger than him. Can Bull rush or use bull rush to set up to bend past his guy. Not a lot of pass rush moves but the ones he has he does well. Speed to run sideline-to-sideline and to flip hips and run with a tight end. Though he looks best in zone coverage.
Weaknesses: Undersized for DE with average arm length. Goes in for the big hit or doesn't wrap up which resulted in 22 missed tackles. Looks best rushing the passer and is new to the ILB position.
NFL Comparison: TJ Watt

Broderick Jones is likely higher on my board due mostly to his demeanor as he is ultra aggressive and wants to finish his blocks and is always looking to hit someone. I probably have Cody Mauch higher than most for the same reason. I like my offensive linemen mean and physical. I want guys who don't just want to win their block they want to drive their guy into the ground.

Broderick Jones LT Georgia
Strengths: Quick feet, strong hands, and long arms. He is one of the quickest linemen I have seen in quite a while. He has that dog in him and wants to drive his guy into the ground. He is great in space getting his hat on a guy and plowing holes in the running game. Has the agility to pick up stunts and blitzes. Man hands and once he has a grip on his guy the battle is over. Gave up only 13 hurries and 2 sacks(zero in 2022) playing LT in the SEC vs NFL quality pass rushers.
Weaknesses: Is on the smallish side for a LT. Not a ton of experience. Aggressiveness can sometimes get him in trouble as he will lower his head trying to drive his man. Trusts his athleticism too much and results in poor technique that he will not be able to get away with in the NFL. Worst case scenario kicks inside to guard or center and becomes a pro bowler there.
NFL Comparison: Duane Brown

Anthony Richardson in the 4th
about right

even though some of these media idiots are pumping him to be the #1 overall.
The talent is there. But like Nolan Smith he is far from a finished product. Just because you physically have the ability doesn't mean you can put it all together. He is just sloppy as a passer. Inaccurate. I mean his size, speed, and arm are all Lamar Jackson level but Lamar who lacked passing ability in college was twice the passer Richardson is.

Anthony Richardson QB Florida
Strengths: NFL size, speed and arm. Dual threat with his arm and legs. Should test off the charts. Is accurate in his 10 yards and in passes. Compact throwing motion and with the flick of the wrist the ball flies 60 yard on a line.
Weaknesses: Poor decision making. No pre-reads, or defense blitz recognition. Runs way too often and doesn't look down field to throw. Mechanics are just atrocious. Throws off is back foot, not level, doesn't point his body towards the receiver. Just wildly inaccurate.
NFL Comparison: Kordell Stewart

I've seen Anthony Richardson move up to the 3rd or 4th QB to be taken. We'll see what he does at the combine. I'm guessing he is throwing.
A team like the Ravens who might ship off Lamar could easily grab him in the first. IMO I would take Hendon Hooker or Dorian Thompson Robinson if you are looking for an athletic QB. Neither are Richardson level athletes but both are very good with their feet. Maybe not as good arms but both NFL level. And their accuracy is a strength. Not a weakness. Accuracy is such a huge part of the NFL. I remember getting enamored with Kyle Boller because he could throw a ball thru the uprights sitting on his knees. Dude had a better arm than Josh Allen. But he was even less accurate. It worked out for Allen as he has gotten much more accutate which is a rarity when you come to the NFL because by now you either are or aren't accurate 99% of the time. Boller wasn't and Richardson sure as hell isn't. I compare him to Kordell Stewart not because of his size but because of athleticism and inaccuracy and poor decision making.

Sanders does have a high missed tackle rate. 22 last year. But that is not due to effort more due to lack of technique resulting from a position change. I see a lot of TJ Watt traits in him off the edge but he is not slouch playing ILB. I feel like he could play ILB and edge in our defense and could hedge against the Steeler not being able to re-sign Highsmith or to replace Watt in a couple years. Like I said I put my board on based on Steelers needs. He is position flexible and can get after the QB. I think with some coaching his tackling issues can be easily enough resolved. Now if he was timid and missing tackles he would fall on my board. But he is very physical and looks for the contact.

Strengths: A+ Athlete. Twitchy with loose hips. Explosive when taking on OT's 100lbs bigger than him. Can Bull rush or use bull rush to set up to bend past his guy. Not a lot of pass rush moves but the ones he has he does well. Speed to run sideline-to-sideline and to flip hips and run with a tight end. Though he looks best in zone coverage.
Weaknesses: Undersized for DE with average arm length. Goes in for the big hit or doesn't wrap up which resulted in 22 missed tackles. Looks best rushing the passer and is new to the ILB position.

Broderick Jones is likely higher on my board due mostly to his demeanor as he is ultra aggressive and wants to finish his blocks and is always looking to hit someone. I probably have Cody Mauch higher than most for the same reason. I like my offensive linemen mean and physical. I want guys who don't just want to win their block they want to drive their guy into the ground.

Strengths: Quick feet, strong hands, and long arms. He is one of the quickest linemen I have seen in quite a while. He has that dog in him and wants to drive his guy into the ground. He is great in space getting his hat on a guy and plowing holes in the running game. Has the agility to pick up stunts and blitzes. Man hands and once he has a grip on his guy the battle is over. Gave up only 13 hurries and 2 sacks(zero in 2022) playing LT in the SEC vs NFL quality pass rushers.
Weaknesses: Is on the smallish side for a LT. Not a ton of experience. Aggressiveness can sometimes get him in trouble as he will lower his head trying to drive his man. Trusts his athleticism too much and results in poor technique that he will not be able to get away with in the NFL. Worst case scenario kicks inside to guard or center and becomes a pro bowler there.
i feel we need to protect Kenny. We have invested highly in him and don't want to see his career shortened. As such, Broderick Jones is the first guy i want to draft. If he's gone, then I'd like Porter. At 32, I want Mauch, simply because he's a damn good OL at any position.

i feel we need to protect Kenny. We have invested highly in him and don't want to see his career shortened. As such, Broderick Jones is the first guy i want to draft. If he's gone, then I'd like Porter. At 32, I want Mauch, simply because he's a damn good OL at any position.
I think Mauch has an outside chance at RT but he likely is moved to center or guard. I think in either of those two spots he flourishes. I probably have Jones higher than most but if he is there at 17 the Steelers would have to consider him. Smallish LT but elite athleticism. I really was hoping Porter would be a better athlete than he is showing. I think as a press corner he will be fine in the NFL but we play a lot of zone so I am not sure he is a great fit if he can't flip his hips and run with the Chase's of the NFL North. I think he could jam Chase and do a great job getting him off his routes but the Steelers would have to play to Porter's strengths. Usually Tomlin likes to try to fit the square peg in the round hole.

Thanks for the writ’s up. I still feel Sanders will be there 2nd / 2nd pick. I hope so as I’m pimping him some. I’m no expert but just have some investigative substance and a GUT feeling.

Salute the nation

Thanks for the writ’s up. I still feel Sanders will be there 2nd / 2nd pick. I hope so as I’m pimping him some. I’m no expert but just have some investigative substance and a GUT feeling.

Salute the nation
It’s a crap shoot. I just started doing this in 2021. So it’s fun to look back and see where I had guys rated vs the others and where they actually went. Will be fun after 2026 to look at that first big board and match it up with how their careers are going.

My questions revolve around the later WR. Hoping we find a jewel in preferably the 4th round NOT the first 3. I thought a few guys had a nice combine. Mingo,Hutchison,and the guy I’d like Charlie Jones. Can you do a little dig on Matt Landers.? 6’4” 200pounds,32.5 inch arms. 4.37/40. Is he a 7th rounder, or earlier? Or is he just a speed guy? Charlie Jones in the 4th? Or is that too optimistic?

Mingo....6’2”....220 pounds. 4.46/40.

Last edited:
Jones' combine numbers sure as hell don't hurt his status. Very long arms, great 10-yard split, good vertical. The Ohio State tackles have freakishly long arms and Jones basically leads the rest.

Jones' combine numbers sure as hell don't hurt his status. Very long arms, great 10-yard split, good vertical. The Ohio State tackles have freakishly long arms and Jones basically leads the rest.
IMO Jones is a lock for top 10. Maybe top 5. I have Jake Breeland listed as a first round pick and looking around other boards I had him rated way higher than most. But looking at his combine numbers I feel more comfortable that I was might be right on him. Maybe we get him at 32 if it all pans out.

IMO Jones is a lock for top 10. Maybe top 5. I have Jake Breeland listed as a first round pick and looking around other boards I had him rated way higher than most. But looking at his combine numbers I feel more comfortable that I was might be right on him. Maybe we get him at 32 if it all pans out.
I wish the NFL would be dumb enough to let Broderick slide to us, just watching the combine he had the smoothest footwork and had big smooth strides when shuffling east to west, it looked super easy and natural for him. Just confirmed his tape for me as my top Tackle