• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

FordFairLane's Steelers Draft Grade

Well, the first demotion was moving MOORE to RT during the last two weeks of the 2021 training camp after he had competed with Okorafor for the LT position.
When it became apparent that Banner was not going to make it back for the first game, they moved Moore to LT (in part because he wasn't comfortable on the right).
You know what else you don't do? You don't weaken two positions in order to fill one. Chuks had started 15 games at RT the year previous and, as of the last preseason game, Moore was still saying he was uncomfortable on the right.

"Chuks Okorafor took snaps at right tackle, the position he started for 15 games last season after Banner tore his ACL in the first game. Dan Moore, the rookie fourth-round draft pick, returned to left tackle in the Steelers’ first practice since he started the preseason finale at Carolina on the right side.

Until Monday, Okorafor had taken all of his snaps in training camp at left tackle, and Moore played there until being shifted to the right side two weeks ago so he could learn both positions."

https://triblive.com/sports/dan-moo...ight-as-steelers-make-alternate-tackle-plans/
"Until Monday, Okorafor had taken all of his snaps in training camp at left tackle, and Moore played there until being shifted to the right side two weeks ago so he could learn both positions."

Yes, they did not draft Moore in the 4th round to start. They went into camp assuming Chuks would win the LT spot as he was being groomed as the future LT. Banner was the less athletic and was groomed to be the future RT. When the preseason rolled out Moore HANDEDLY beat Chuks at LT. It wasn't even close. Roethlisberger would have been murdered with Chuks at LT. He was GOD AWFUL. This isn't subjective this is an objective statement. HE LOST TO DAN MOORE. Chuks then went back to RT where he played the season prior and has been... serviceable. Not good. He is a backup on every other team in the NFL. There's a handful of teams who have a backup better than him sitting on their roster. That is how bad he is. Dan Moore at LT is better, but not by very much. Chuks graded out at 62.8 pass blocking, 55.7 run blocking, with a 61.2 overall. He ranked 60th overall. Dan Moore ranked 67.3 in pass blocking, 56.1 at run blocking, with 62.4 overall. 57th overall. But the caveat is that was at LEFT tackle. At LEFT tackle you faced the opposing teams premier pass rusher almost every snap. Chuks did not. Now the other issue is that neither graded very highly in run blocking which is typically something you want your RT to be dominant at. That is why in my mock along mock I would have drafted Dawand Jones over Washington as Dawand graded out at 85 run blocking last season in college.

I guess bottom line neither Moore or Okorafor probably fit well at RT but Moore is by far the better option. If they give him an opportunity to win he should win hands down. I though doubt they pay Chuks 10 million to sit on the bench so at least in the very beginning he will start over Moore. Until he is exposed as the weak link and maybe gives Pickett another concussion and then he probably gets swapped out for Moore.

The offensive line was a huge question mark going into the season. It is completely revamped and filled with fresh faces, especially young, raw talent. New offensive line coach, Adrian Klemm is taking on the task of making a more physical, dominant group. We have seen some mixed results.

The numbers aside, the run game is either going to rip off a 6-17 yard run or lose 3 (or no gain). There hasn’t been much in between. Zach Banner has had limited time and Chukwuma Okorafor has been less than stellar. That alone creates concern. However, Kevin Dotson and Dan Moore Jr. have been the preseason stars and Kendrick Green is showing that physical play and athleticism we expected. There’s absolutely no telling where this group will go this year. It helps, however, to have an 18-year veteran at quarterback and a first round talent at running back. We may see some sloppy play a good bit… but we will also see some edge from this group.

Seriously @FordFairLane, my statement that we disagree on how it went down was an admission that the topic is really not that important to me. Neither of us was party to the conversations that went into that decision in 2021. We both read the same information and viewed what was happening at the time and came to different conclusions. Hence a difference of opinion that won't be resolved unless Tomlin or someone else privy to the decision making process says something definitive. And that's not gonna happen.
What we do agree upon is that the production in the run game from both tackles was not good. Where we disagree on that point appears to be that you believe Moore, who admits he's uncomfortable at RT, will make the move and somehow be better at RT than he was at LT. My money is on them drafting or picking up a FA RT next year and that, Moore becomes some type of swing tackle for a year before moving on/being moved on. Chuks? He'll be gone after this season.

Seriously @FordFairLane, my statement that we disagree on how it went down was an admission that the topic is really not that important to me. Neither of us was party to the conversations that went into that decision in 2021. We both read the same information and viewed what was happening at the time and came to different conclusions. Hence a difference of opinion that won't be resolved unless Tomlin or someone else privy to the decision making process says something definitive. And that's not gonna happen.
What we do agree upon is that the production in the run game from both tackles was not good. Where we disagree on that point appears to be that you believe Moore, who admits he's uncomfortable at RT, will make the move and somehow be better at RT than he was at LT. My money is on them drafting or picking up a FA RT next year and that, Moore becomes some type of swing tackle for a year before moving on/being moved on. Chuks? He'll be gone after this season.
Yeah not buying Moore is the better RT until we see he is the better RT. Then he would have earned it. Because there would have to be a process of battle. And who wins is at the end of said battle. Ford will debate you till the end of time. One of those he has to be right type. You are wasting your time on any debates with him.

Nice summation Ford, very astute observations. I‘d note that Chuks is staying at RT since he got the new contract in 21. I think Dan Moore will be the swing tackle if Jones wins a starting job.

I too watch closely all the Penn State games, pretty solid assessment of JP2 play, however just watching the games itself I sort of saw Kalen King being solid if not slightly better than Porter, but that was indicative of their opponents offensive game planning probably. While I do worry about ball production, if he ends up like his dad’s teammate Ike Taylor, I’d have no complaints.

Dale Lolley has already intimated that Anderson will be looked at as a Center prospect primarily as they currently only have McCollum as the backup to Cole. So as Slash stated, think the coaches see him as a pivot/and interior swing player.

Great follow up post to your Pre Draft player analysis. This is what quality content should be, not the BS the mirror man of attention seeking dumps on this board.

UM, my grades are similar you clown. I'm not quite as high on Trice as he is ( I give that pick a C+ ) and I think there were better players on the board than Washington who I give a B- for the pick.

Still a grade A draft as the first three picks were excellent. In fact I like our rookie free agent class too and we might have a player or two who makes the team. Remember the names Pottebaum and Johnson. Pottebaum is a sledge jammer of a blocking FB. Who is Johnson? Only a 5 star QB who worked out nearly as good as Richardson, the 4th pick in the draft. I did not know this. I saw his film vs. Michigan State. He was impressive, but benched later in the year and went through 9 OC's. I don't care. He is a real upside QB and can make this team as a 3rd string guy. I hope he gets the chance because 5 star QB's don't grow on trees.

Don't look now , but this veteran free agency and draft / rookie free agents gave the Steelers the players to play some power football. Out as Dotson and Moore jr. The pair committed 20 penalties and offered sucky play. In are Jones and Seumalo . Big time upgrade for the OL. Mix in our 3rd round pick for the 2 TE sets and a blocking FB like Pottebaum and we can play some power football!

You can check Walter Footbal, but I don't think you will find much info there.

Last edited:
Pretty excited to see Harris run behind an actual NFL line.

You had me at “pretty excited” and kept me with “to see Harris run behind an actual NFL line.”

I’m giddy as hell too !!! Some here have ridiculed Harris but haven’t factored in the state of the OL.

This team has the alignment / coaching / cap space / ownership, they need to capitalize and NOT burn any excuses.

Barring injury, Najee Harris 318 attempts / 1,464 rush yards / 369 pass yards.

Saaaaaaaayyyyy WHAT ??? (you read it right)

Salute the nation

I agree with this statement. Moore was a C- type of starter. And that might be too kind. Chucks is an underpowered run player who does okay vs. the pass. He a grade C type if right tackle who is costing the Steelers 13 million on the salary cap this year. He is not worth it. I agree with you, Chucks will be gone next year. Moore jr can stick around as the 3rd tackle for now because he is a cheap player on his rookie deal.

You had me at “pretty excited” and kept me with “to see Harris run behind an actual NFL line.”

I’m giddy as hell too !!! Some here have ridiculed Harris but haven’t factored in the state of the OL.

This team has the alignment / coaching / cap space / ownership, they need to capitalize and NOT burn any excuses.

Barring injury, Najee Harris 318 attempts / 1,464 rush yards / 369 pass yards.

Saaaaaaaayyyyy WHAT ??? (you read it right)

Salute the nation
uh that is a 4.6 yard average bet Warren runs for 1000 less yards but has a 4.7 yard average which of course means he is the better back.

uh that is a 4.6 yard average bet Warren runs for 1000 less yards but has a 4.7 yard average which of course means he is the better back.

You good mathamatictionser………………..

Of course Warren is better, need not proof with numbers, just watch the game and liscen to Coooch.

Salute the nation

In fact I like our rookie free agent class too and we might have a player or two who makes the team. Remember the names Pottebaum and Johnson. Pottebaum is a sledge jammer of a blocking FB. Who is Johnson? Only a 5 star QB who worked out nearly as good as Richardson, the 4th pick in the draft. I did not know this. I saw his film vs. Michigan State. He was impressive, but benched later in the year and went through 9 OC's. I don't care. He is a real upside QB and can make this team as a 3rd string guy. I hope he gets the chance because 5 star QB's don't grow on trees.

What does "worked out nearly as good" mean to you, exactly?

At the NFL combine, Richardson ran a 4.43 forty with a 40.5-inch vertical and a 10'9" broad jump.
At Clemson's pro day, Johnson ran a 4.67 forty with a 35.5-inch vertical and a 10'3" broad jump. (BTW, these numbers are eerily similar to my son's, but he's a sophomore in high school, and two inches taller)

Richardson is 6-foot-4-and-a-quarter, 244 pounds. Johnson is 6-foot-2-and-a-half, 199 pounds. They are nothing alike, and neither are their workouts.

Johnson had a 4.58 YPA to go along with a 53.4% completion percentage and a 5:8 touchdown to INT ratio over his last 4 years in college. His five-star high school rating is from a long, long time ago, chief. Circa 2017, to be exact. He obviously didn't have the ability to transition to the NCAA, but 6 years later, you think he's headed for the NFL?

Don't hold your breath waiting on this guy to make the team.

What does "worked out nearly as good" mean to you, exactly?

At the NFL combine, Richardson ran a 4.43 forty with a 40.5-inch vertical and a 10'9" broad jump.
At Clemson's pro day, Johnson ran a 4.67 forty with a 35.5-inch vertical and a 10'3" broad jump. (BTW, these numbers are eerily similar to my son's, but he's a sophomore in high school, and two inches taller)

Richardson is 6-foot-4-and-a-quarter, 244 pounds. Johnson is 6-foot-2-and-a-half, 199 pounds. They are nothing alike, and neither are their workouts.

Johnson had a 4.58 YPA to go along with a 53.4% completion percentage and a 5:8 touchdown to INT ratio over his last 4 years in college. His five-star high school rating is from a long, long time ago, chief. Circa 2017, to be exact. He obviously didn't have the ability to transition to the NCAA, but 6 years later, you think he's headed for the NFL?

Don't hold your breath waiting on this guy to make the team.
C'mon man

Who are we to not encourage cooch from holding his breath. I mean just imagine all that hot air being retained. Pretty attractive.

UM, my grades are similar you clown. I'm not quite as high on Trice as he is ( I give that pick a C+ ) and I think there were better players on the board than Washington who I give a B- for the pick.

Still a grade A draft as the first three picks were excellent. In fact I like our rookie free agent class too and we might have a player or two who makes the team. Remember the names Pottebaum and Johnson. Pottebaum is a sledge jammer of a blocking FB. Who is Johnson? Only a 5 star QB who worked out nearly as good as Richardson, the 4th pick in the draft. I did not know this. I saw his film vs. Michigan State. He was impressive, but benched later in the year and went through 9 OC's. I don't care. He is a real upside QB and can make this team as a 3rd string guy. I hope he gets the chance because 5 star QB's don't grow on trees.

Don't look now , but this veteran free agency and draft / rookie free agents gave the Steelers the players to play some power football. Out as Dotson and Moore jr. The pair committed 20 penalties and offered sucky play. In are Jones and Seumalo . Big time upgrade for the OL. Mix in our 3rd round pick for the 2 TE sets and a blocking FB like Pottebaum and we can play some power football!

You can check Walter Footbal, but I don't think you will find much info there.
Dumb ***, and you really need that painted on your forehead so you can remember it, Ford provided a great player review post BEFORE the draft. That entails he put in the time and research himself, and therefore congruent to journalism 101 provided his follow up review POST draft.

You, on the other hand, never submit any type of quality post before the draft. You just spitball your opinion based on viewing YouTube clips and using other people’s published comments through plagiarism. Just because you pay a subscription, doesn't mean you are allowed to use its writers words as yours. Dork.

Your “grades”…..hahahahahahahaha. You are legend in your own mind.

"Until Monday, Okorafor had taken all of his snaps in training camp at left tackle, and Moore played there until being shifted to the right side two weeks ago so he could learn both positions."

Yes, they did not draft Moore in the 4th round to start. They went into camp assuming Chuks would win the LT spot as he was being groomed as the future LT. Banner was the less athletic and was groomed to be the future RT. When the preseason rolled out Moore HANDEDLY beat Chuks at LT. It wasn't even close. Roethlisberger would have been murdered with Chuks at LT. He was GOD AWFUL. This isn't subjective this is an objective statement. HE LOST TO DAN MOORE. Chuks then went back to RT where he played the season prior and has been... serviceable. Not good. He is a backup on every other team in the NFL. There's a handful of teams who have a backup better than him sitting on their roster. That is how bad he is. Dan Moore at LT is better, but not by very much. Chuks graded out at 62.8 pass blocking, 55.7 run blocking, with a 61.2 overall. He ranked 60th overall. Dan Moore ranked 67.3 in pass blocking, 56.1 at run blocking, with 62.4 overall. 57th overall. But the caveat is that was at LEFT tackle. At LEFT tackle you faced the opposing teams premier pass rusher almost every snap. Chuks did not. Now the other issue is that neither graded very highly in run blocking which is typically something you want your RT to be dominant at. That is why in my mock along mock I would have drafted Dawand Jones over Washington as Dawand graded out at 85 run blocking last season in college.

I guess bottom line neither Moore or Okorafor probably fit well at RT but Moore is by far the better option. If they give him an opportunity to win he should win hands down. I though doubt they pay Chuks 10 million to sit on the bench so at least in the very beginning he will start over Moore. Until he is exposed as the weak link and maybe gives Pickett another concussion and then he probably gets swapped out for Moore.

Intriguing debate Ford as it was interesting when they gave Okorator the modest extension. I thought it was for protecting themselves from losing a home grown player they cultivated into a starter. Chuks has played better with Daniels next to him. Maybe the chemistry clicked faster with him rather than Tra Turner. Moore showed great promise his first year, afterwards he has performed as average. Man, if Washington wasn’t there, grabbing Jones would have been interesting bookends going forward. I do worry about Jones eating himself out of the league though.

Just curious, where did you get the stats from PFF or NextGen? If it’s PFF, forget it. They are irrelevant as their measurement formula has been criticized by players and coaches alike.

Intriguing debate Ford as it was interesting when they gave Okorator the modest extension. I thought it was for protecting themselves from losing a home grown player they cultivated into a starter. Chuks has played better with Daniels next to him. Maybe the chemistry clicked faster with him rather than Tra Turner. Moore showed great promise his first year, afterwards he has performed as average. Man, if Washington wasn’t there, grabbing Jones would have been interesting bookends going forward. I do worry about Jones eating himself out of the league though.

Just curious, where did you get the stats from PFF or NextGen? If it’s PFF, forget it. They are irrelevant as their measurement formula has been criticized by players and coaches alike.
I am certain they gave Chuks that extension because they were already thin at tackle and the prospect of losing your starting RT forced them to overpay. I personally did not like the move. They gave Chuks too much money and the fact that the roster bonus is that early really forces the teams hand and almost makes them pay him before the draft and free agency. My problem is he is easily replaceable. I mean so freaking easily replaceable. I mean we could put Le'Raven Clark at RT and get the same play if not better. And I know it would have been a risk to go into free agency without your 2022 starting RT but imo we could have either brought him back for less money or just moved on.

I used PFF grades. It is a very simple model of pass or run snaps vs win, lose or neutral. I am not a huge PFF fan but they are pretty solid on their blocking grades.

I guess when I look back on this draft it's pretty simple. There was plenty of talk about them giving up 2.17 to move up and get a LT. Plenty. They gave up a fourth that they recouped later and still got a player most of us are excited about. Then they took a player at 2.1 that many had them taking at 1.17. They covered every need position but maybe ILB and I'm not sure Robinson couldn't start. We will see. I fail to see how anyone could even nitpick this draft. If you get two really good starters in a draft you did wel. I'd be shocked if they don't get three.

I guess when I look back on this draft it's pretty simple. There was plenty of talk about them giving up 2.17 to move up and get a LT. Plenty. They gave up a fourth that they recouped later and still got a player most of us are excited about. Then they took a player at 2.1 that many had them taking at 1.17. They covered every need position but maybe ILB and I'm not sure Robinson couldn't start. We will see. I fail to see how anyone could even nitpick this draft. If you get two really good starters in a draft you did wel. I'd be shocked if they don't get three.
Of course we can nitpick. It’s a forum. We all have different opinions.

I personally would have taken John Micheal Schmitz at pick 49. #1 ranked player at his position,to me would have been a great pick. I believe Cole is signed for only one more year. And has been average. Schmitz would have been our guy for 10 years.....of course,in my opinion. I’ve been advocating for a top pick for Center since Pouncey’s last year. This would have finally ended that.

Does not mean I don’t like the Benton pick. And I see all the reasons for it.

Of course we can nitpick. It’s a forum. We all have different opinions.

I personally would have taken John Micheal Schmitz at pick 49. #1 ranked player at his position,to me would have been a great pick. I believe Cole is signed for only one more year. And has been average. Schmitz would have been our guy for 10 years.....of course,in my opinion. I’ve been advocating for a top pick for Center since Pouncey’s last year. This would have finally ended that.

Does not mean I don’t like the Benton pick. And I see all the reasons for it.
Of course. And if they would have made your move someone would nitpick that because they already have a centre. What I don't think is anyone can complain is about the draft as a whole. At least on paper they scored even with the talking heads which usually score them as a B- draft.

C'mon man

Who are we to not encourage cooch from holding his breath. I mean just imagine all that hot air being retained. Pretty attractive.
Vag, When you hold your breath bad air tends to expel and I not taking about from your mouth. It stinks. Use your imagination. I see you like to parrot small head and dark shades a bit. The guy with the gas station hat. Him. Anyway his memory is worse than yours. I don't commit before that draft he says.

I bet he won't remember saying Compares Young to Mahomes. :lol:

Vag, When you hold your breath bad air tends to expel and I not taking about from your mouth. It stinks. Use your imagination. I see you like to parrot small head and dark shades a bit. The guy with the gas station hat. Him. Anyway his memory is worse than yours. I don't commit before that draft he says.

Why does it shock you that he is a Young homer after all he is a diehard Alabama fan. You are really making his comparison overblown. You love to talk about Berm's attire, I take it you have a very specific way you like your men. You twatwaffling transformer.

Anywho never mind you about my memory. I can remember just fine. Now if I end up forgetting you down the road, I would just have to manage somehow.

Your insults pretty much define your low IQ.

As for placing bets, you have no business even mentioning one. You run away like a 10 year old girl when one is given to you to stand by your own horseshit opinions. Response to your post in your own asinine thread.

What goal posts? I never said you don’t watch college games. Oh! You watch Bama on the tube….no shock there, they only are 90% of the time nationally broadcasted. Your reading comprehension is for 2nd graders. I said you don’t watch games for player reviews. Lord you yourself even said on this board in the past YOU DONT WATCH GAMES on players specifically. That IS IN the archives.

What questions did you ask me? Or are you referencing the SEVEN year absent playoff win prediction? Pay attention to your own posts Dumb ***, that question was directed at Coolie. Hell I’ll take your bet (again) that PIT will win a playoff game within seven years. You win, I’ll pay for a years subscription, so you can post, create threads and just overall be a paid nuisance to the board. If you lose however, you are banned from posting anything for a year. You won’t accept the bet, you’ve never owned up to any you submitted or even accepted. But it’s there if you have the balls to commit to your own bullshit.

Either own up, or give it a rest with your infantile bullshit. You are a laughingstock on this board.…….DumbAss.

Your insults pretty much define your low IQ.

As for placing bets, you have no business even mentioning one. You run away like a 10 year old girl when one is given to you to stand by your own horseshit opinions. Response to your post in your own asinine thread.

Either own up, or give it a rest with your infantile bullshit. You are a laughingstock on this board.…….DumbAss.
C'mon man

Let's just not limit him to this board.

😁

I bet he won't remember saying Compares Young to Mahomes. :lol

W....t...f.....does that mean? Like he holds his breath and farts? Did you really think about that and figure "man I got a zinger". So your delusions aren't just limited to your football knowledge, shocker.

So, I asked you to explain why you think Johnson worked out nearly as well as Richardson, yes? You don't bother to respond, then come back with this drivel?

I thought you were here to talk football. I know that some guys give you a hard time (sometimes to excess), and I don't mind giving you the benefit of the doubt, but running away from a direct question doesn't help your reputation.