• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

FordFairLane's Steelers Draft Grade

FordFairLane

Reaction score
#14- Broderick Jones OT Georgia - A-

My highest rated offensive lineman in the draft. Broderick Jones has a rare combination of athleticism, size, and mean streak you look for in your blindside protector. Dan Moore has been serviceable at LT and to all accounts out performed as a former 4th round pick but it is time to have him perhaps move to the right side and compete with Chuks. Where if you remember correctly he beat out as a rookie for the starting LT position when Moore was slated to be the RT. This pick could very well solidify both sides of the line giving us two true bookends for the first time since the Steelers had Max Stark and Marcus Gilbert keeping Ben upright. And to be honest the athleticism and upside to Jones and Moore is by far superior than Starks and Gilbert. The only negative about this pick is it did cost us #17 & #120. Now in the scheme of things the Steelers got a steal as Khan used the Patriots desire for the Jets to not get Broderick Jones to leverage a great value. #14 = 1100 and #17 = 950 + 120 = 54. So the Steelers were roughly the 101st(96) pick ahead on value to the Pats.

#32- Joey Porter Jr. CB Penn State - A

Maybe the best story in this draft class is JP2 coming home to Pittsburgh to dawn the black and gold like his father once did. Joey Porter Jr. is a long, tall, and physical cornerback who really improved his jam and misdirection at the line of scrimmage in 2022. Porter dominated early in the season and having 6 passes broken up in the season opener on 14 targets. Teams must have taken note not to throw his way because the rest of the 2022 season JP2 only saw 16 more targets which in those he had 5 more passes broken up making his season total 11. And in his 30 targets he only allowed 15 receptions for 143 yards. Porters size and speed had to be a consideration for a team who has to defend the likes of JaMarr Chase and Tee Higgins twice a season. As a Penn State fan I am trying to be objective and in doing so the one negative I can think of for Porter is his hands. In that Purdue game Porter jumped a route and got his hands on an O'Connell pass with nothing but grass between him and the end zone just to watch the ball hit the turf. In his career at Penn State he only has one interceptions on 116 targets.

#49 Keeanu Benton DL Wisconsin - B+

Benton has one of the higher ceilings in this draft class as his physical ability with long powerful arms and thick tree trunk like legs is a sight to be seen. When he uses his heavy hands and keeps his pads low he flashes the ability to be a dominant defender. But those reps are a little too spaced out for my liking. Nevertheless when Keeanu Benton was at the Senior Bowl he put on quite the show for the coaches and drove his draft stock up to a solid second round pick. I see the theme with Khan and he wanted to get more physical and this pick definitely has the makings of a physical front man who wreaks havoc in both the run and passing game. I believe he will project as a run stuffer NT early in his career and if he can add some pass rush moves I feel he will gain more playing time as the season moves forward.

#93 Darnell Washington TE Georgia - B

Khan goes back to the National Champion drinking well taking another Dawg from Georgia. Washington checks all the boxes physically standing at 6-6 5/8 at 264lbs with massive 11" hands. But at that size he showed his athleticism at the combine running a 4.64 forty, leaping a 122" broad jump, and showing flexible hips running a 4.08 second 20-yard shuttle which is 97th percentile. Washington took a big step forward tripling his 2021 production with 454 yards on 28 receptions. While those are impressive numbers that isn't what Washington is known for. His ability to be an extra blocker is unmatched in this draft. Washington regularly pushes defensive linemen back into the secondary clearing huge holes for his running backs. At the combine he made little effort pushing the blocking sled while the rest of the TE class could barely move it. The pick must have been a value pick as the Steelers did re-sign backup Zach Gentry and obviously already have a young entrenched starter in Freiermuth. Furthermore, the Steelers traded down from #80 (190) to #93 (128) as 62 point difference while only picking up #132 (40) in value making it a 28 point net loss in trade value. Considering Carolina had #113 (66) Khan might have pushed a little harder to get the better pick or even a 2024 5th round pick which would have held a 23 point value. And by trading down the Steelers missed out on bigger need positions like ILB and Trenton Simpson, DeMarvion Overshown, and Dorian Williams. And safety with Ji'Ayir Brown.

#132 Nick Herbig OLB Wisconsin - B+

Khan yet again gets good value for the pick. Herbig was regularly regarded as a solid 2nd or 3rd round pick. Nate's little brother made a name for himself as an edge rusher for the badgers routinely chasing down the opposing QB. With 30 TFL and 20 sacks over the last two season the edge defender showed he can get the job done in college. But the vastly undersized edge rusher will have to prove himself all over in the NFL. There's an outside chance the Steelers look to have him play some ILB as Nick Herbig frequently stunted in his collegiate career. The worry there is his limited experience in coverage. I feel this pick and the addition of Quincy Roche puts the Steelers depth at edge rusher far ahead of what they had when they started the 2022 season.

#241 Cory Trice DB Purdue - B

Trice is another long press corner who has played both safety and corner in his collegiate career. Cory Trice is physically intimidating at 6-3 206lbs and moves well for his size running a sub 4.5 at the combine. He is an aggressive and willing tackler and more than willing to stick his nose into run defense. He really seems to play best when up at the LOS. He is a very effective Blitzer using his near linebacker size and speed when coming off the edge to get past would be blockers. And when he plays press on the receiver he reminds me a little of Mel Blount stuffing his receiver and pushing him off his route. In 2022 Trice only allowed 1 reception on 88 press snaps. Like Herbig I could definitely see a position change but if the Steelers keep him and Porter outside I can see a lot of frustrated receivers in the AFC North.

#251 Spencer Anderson OL Maryland - C

Well, what would a draft be without a Terrapin going to Pittsburgh? This pick has Tomlin written all over it. So I had to do a little research because Anderson was not a prospect I scouted pre-draft. Position flexible lineman. He has experience at RT, RG, OC and LG. He has quick feet and really shows up in the run game blasting off the line into his man and blowing him off the LOS. Good technique in the passing game, natural knee bender, stays low, and doesn't lunge or drop his head. Don't see the length needed to play outside in the NFL and will be regulated as an interior lineman. Probably nothing more than a utility backup in the NFL. I hated the pick initially but I think this is a guy they try to stash on the PS and maybe gets an opportunity in 2024

Overall the Steelers filled most of their holes while usually taking the best player on the board. For the most part Khan let the draft come to him only moving up to get a guy like Jones who they obviously valued more than throwing in an extra 4th round it took to ensure getting him. Khan had a vision of what he wants to see on this team and I believe the offseason and draft his an emphatic stamp on what he wants to build. He wants big, strong, and physical football. This draft reminds me of what Pete Carroll and the Seattle Seahawks built in the early 2010's with the likes of Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Russell Okung and Bobby Wagner. All big powerful players at their position and imposed their will. Considering some of the later lack of draft capital I am really impressed with what Khan was able to put together. I feel this is the first step of building something really great and think things will only get better.

Overall Grade: B+

Last edited:
If Anderson wins the backup C job I don't think they stash him on the PS that would be a if he loses that battle scenario. Which I don't think he will.

There will be no position change for Trice he is a press corner. People see a history of something and see he is tall and then goes the theory. The positional coach pretty much debunked that theory.

Not sure why people want to give these late rounders C and below grades. The guy could very well be a backup C this year. If that comes to pass anything less than a B is silly. If he doesn't win it sure. But **** he isn't a throwaway QB he is another trench piece which everyone has been clamoring for. You yourself admitted you didn't scout him pre draft so you know little about the kid. Andy is a trenches guy because it is Maryland it has to be Tomlin's guy. Some of yinz just get down right silly with your thought process.

Overall good work but you faded toward the end.

Nice summation Ford, very astute observations. I‘d note that Chuks is staying at RT since he got the new contract in 21. I think Dan Moore will be the swing tackle if Jones wins a starting job.

I too watch closely all the Penn State games, pretty solid assessment of JP2 play, however just watching the games itself I sort of saw Kalen King being solid if not slightly better than Porter, but that was indicative of their opponents offensive game planning probably. While I do worry about ball production, if he ends up like his dad’s teammate Ike Taylor, I’d have no complaints.

Dale Lolley has already intimated that Anderson will be looked at as a Center prospect primarily as they currently only have McCollum as the backup to Cole. So as Slash stated, think the coaches see him as a pivot/and interior swing player.

Great follow up post to your Pre Draft player analysis. This is what quality content should be, not the BS the mirror man of attention seeking dumps on this board.

Nice summation Ford, very astute observations. I‘d note that Chuks is staying at RT since he got the new contract in 21. I think Dan Moore will be the swing tackle if Jones wins a starting job.

I too watch closely all the Penn State games, pretty solid assessment of JP2 play, however just watching the games itself I sort of saw Kalen King being solid if not slightly better than Porter, but that was indicative of their opponents offensive game planning probably. While I do worry about ball production, if he ends up like his dad’s teammate Ike Taylor, I’d have no complaints.

Dale Lolley has already intimated that Anderson will be looked at as a Center prospect primarily as they currently only have McCollum as the backup to Cole. So as Slash stated, think the coaches see him as a pivot/and interior swing player.

Great follow up post to your Pre Draft player analysis. This is what quality content should be, not the BS the mirror man of attention seeking dumps on this board.

Great post Ike, I do believe Jones does get the starting “nod”, day one. It would take something funckie to keep him out.

If Dan Moore did beat him out, that would give us another truly amazing OL-man to deal with.

Salute the nation

If Anderson wins the backup C job I don't think they stash him on the PS that would be a if he loses that battle scenario. Which I don't think he will.

There will be no position change for Trice he is a press corner. People see a history of something and see he is tall and then goes the theory. The positional coach pretty much debunked that theory.

Not sure why people want to give these late rounders C and below grades. The guy could very well be a backup C this year. If that comes to pass anything less than a B is silly. If he doesn't win it sure. But **** he isn't a throwaway QB he is another trench piece which everyone has been clamoring for. You yourself admitted you didn't scout him pre draft so you know little about the kid. Andy is a trenches guy because it is Maryland it has to be Tomlin's guy. Some of yinz just get down right silly with your thought process.

Overall good work but you faded toward the end.

GREAT post slash, really like the insight and as always, thanks for all your great ones Along the way.

Salute the nation

#14- Broderick Jones OT Georgia - A-

My highest rated offensive lineman in the draft. Broderick Jones has a rare combination of athleticism, size, and mean streak you look for in your blindside protector. Dan Moore has been serviceable at LT and to all accounts out performed as a former 4th round pick but it is time to have him perhaps move to the right side and compete with Chuks. Where if you remember correctly he beat out as a rookie for the starting LT position when Moore was slated to be the RT. This pick could very well solidify both sides of the line giving us two true bookends for the first time since the Steelers had Max Stark and Marcus Gilbert keeping Ben upright. And to be honest the athleticism and upside to Jones and Moore is by far superior than Starks and Gilbert. The only negative about this pick is it did cost us #17 & #120. Now in the scheme of things the Steelers got a steal as Khan used the Patriots desire for the Jets to not get Broderick Jones to leverage a great value. #14 = 1100 and #17 = 950 + 120 = 54. So the Steelers were roughly the 101st(96) pick ahead on value to the Pats.

#32- Joey Porter Jr. CB Penn State - A

Maybe the best story in this draft class is JP2 coming home to Pittsburgh to dawn the black and gold like his father once did. Joey Porter Jr. is a long, tall, and physical cornerback who really improved his jam and misdirection at the line of scrimmage in 2022. Porter dominated early in the season and having 6 passes broken up in the season opener on 14 targets. Teams must have taken note not to throw his way because the rest of the 2022 season JP2 only saw 16 more targets which in those he had 5 more passes broken up making his season total 11. And in his 30 targets he only allowed 15 receptions for 143 yards. Porters size and speed had to be a consideration for a team who has to defend the likes of JaMarr Chase and Tee Higgins twice a season. As a Penn State fan I am trying to be objective and in doing so the one negative I can think of for Porter is his hands. In that Purdue game Porter jumped a route and got his hands on an O'Connell pass with nothing but grass between him and the end zone just to watch the ball hit the turf. In his career at Penn State he only has one interceptions on 116 targets.

#49 Keeanu Benton DL Wisconsin - B+

Benton has one of the higher ceilings in this draft class as his physical ability with long powerful arms and thick tree trunk like legs is a sight to be seen. When he uses his heavy hands and keeps his pads low he flashes the ability to be a dominant defender. But those reps are a little too spaced out for my liking. Nevertheless when Keeanu Benton was at the Senior Bowl he put on quite the show for the coaches and drove his draft stock up to a solid second round pick. I see the theme with Khan and he wanted to get more physical and this pick definitely has the makings of a physical front man who wreaks havoc in both the run and passing game. I believe he will project as a run stuffer NT early in his career and if he can add some pass rush moves I feel he will gain more playing time as the season moves forward.

#93 Darnell Washington TE Georgia - B

Khan goes back to the National Champion drinking well taking another Dawg from Georgia. Washington checks all the boxes physically standing at 6-6 5/8 at 264lbs with massive 11" hands. But at that size he showed his athleticism at the combine running a 4.64 forty, leaping a 122" broad jump, and showing flexible hips running a 4.08 second 20-yard shuttle which is 97th percentile. Washington took a big step forward tripling his 2021 production with 454 yards on 28 receptions. While those are impressive numbers that isn't what Washington is known for. His ability to be an extra blocker is unmatched in this draft. Washington regularly pushes defensive linemen back into the secondary clearing huge holes for his running backs. At the combine he made little effort pushing the blocking sled while the rest of the TE class could barely move it. The pick must have been a value pick as the Steelers did re-sign backup Zach Gentry and obviously already have a young entrenched starter in Freiermuth. Furthermore, the Steelers traded down from #80 (190) to #93 (128) as 62 point difference while only picking up #132 (40) in value making it a 28 point net loss in trade value. Considering Carolina had #113 (66) Khan might have pushed a little harder to get the better pick or even a 2024 5th round pick which would have held a 23 point value. And by trading down the Steelers missed out on bigger need positions like ILB and Trenton Simpson, DeMarvion Overshown, and Dorian Williams. And safety with Ji'Ayir Brown.

#132 Nick Herbig OLB Wisconsin - B+

Khan yet again gets good value for the pick. Herbig was regularly regarded as a solid 2nd or 3rd round pick. Nate's little brother made a name for himself as an edge rusher for the badgers routinely chasing down the opposing QB. With 30 TFL and 20 sacks over the last two season the edge defender showed he can get the job done in college. But the vastly undersized edge rusher will have to prove himself all over in the NFL. There's an outside chance the Steelers look to have him play some ILB as Nick Herbig frequently stunted in his collegiate career. The worry there is his limited experience in coverage. I feel this pick and the addition of Quincy Roche puts the Steelers depth at edge rusher far ahead of what they had when they started the 2022 season.

#241 Cory Trice DB Purdue - B

Trice is another long press corner who has played both safety and corner in his collegiate career. Cory Trice is physically intimidating at 6-3 206lbs and moves well for his size running a sub 4.5 at the combine. He is an aggressive and willing tackler and more than willing to stick his nose into run defense. He really seems to play best when up at the LOS. He is a very effective Blitzer using his near linebacker size and speed when coming off the edge to get past would be blockers. And when he plays press on the receiver he reminds me a little of Mel Blount stuffing his receiver and pushing him off his route. In 2022 Trice only allowed 1 reception on 88 press snaps. Like Herbig I could definitely see a position change but if the Steelers keep him and Porter outside I can see a lot of frustrated receivers in the AFC North.

#251 Spencer Anderson OL Maryland - C

Well, what would a draft be without a Terrapin going to Pittsburgh? This pick has Tomlin written all over it. So I had to do a little research because Anderson was not a prospect I scouted pre-draft. Position flexible lineman. He has experience at RT, RG, OC and LG. He has quick feet and really shows up in the run game blasting off the line into his man and blowing him off the LOS. Good technique in the passing game, natural knee bender, stays low, and doesn't lunge or drop his head. Don't see the length needed to play outside in the NFL and will be regulated as an interior lineman. Probably nothing more than a utility backup in the NFL. I hated the pick initially but I think this is a guy they try to stash on the PS and maybe gets an opportunity in 2024

Overall the Steelers filled most of their holes while usually taking the best player on the board. For the most part Khan let the draft come to him only moving up to get a guy like Jones who they obviously valued more than throwing in an extra 4th round it took to ensure getting him. Khan had a vision of what he wants to see on this team and I believe the offseason and draft his an emphatic stamp on what he wants to build. He wants big, strong, and physical football. This draft reminds me of what Pete Carroll and the Seattle Seahawks built in the early 2010's with the likes of Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Russell Okung and Bobby Wagner. All big powerful players at their position and imposed their will. Considering some of the later lack of draft capital I am really impressed with what Khan was able to put together. I feel this is the first step of building something really great and think things will only get better.

Overall Grade: B+

Nice post and thread,…. Ford. Thanks for your hard work along the way.

Salute the nation

Nice post and thread,…. Ford. Thanks for your hard work along the way.

Salute the nation
Very much welcome. I am glad you enjoyed it. I definitely do watching all the film. Maybe one day I can do it full time.

I'm quite sure that the Steelers aren't going to pay Okorafor $13 million to sit on the bench.

I'm quite sure that the Steelers aren't going to pay Okorafor $13 million to sit on the bench.
So if say Moore slides over and wins that job what do they do with Chukes trade him?

This will be a case where-as, contract helps dictate playing time.

My thought is MOORE will and can beat him out but, like you said, he more likely is not going to sit.

Dan Moore becomes the swing tackle depth lineman.

It’s sad, because I want the BEST 5 out there, kicking *** and taking names.

Salute the nation

So if say Moore slides over and wins that job what do they do with Chukes trade him?
I mean, to me Dan Moore has been nothing special, and since he makes less than a tenth of what Okorafor does, I think it's highly unlikely that they switch CO out of the lineup after starting him at right tackle for two years.

But I wouldn't mind at all seeing him traded if someone would take on his bloated contract.

I mean, to me Dan Moore has been nothing special, and since he makes less than a tenth of what Okorafor does, I think it's highly unlikely that they switch CO out of the lineup after starting him at right tackle for two years.

But I wouldn't mind at all seeing him traded if someone would take on his bloated contract.

I hear yaz top seed.

Some here have suggested trading Big Dot. I’d say with all the dealings of Kahn Artist, I’m sure Dotson’s name has been floated Or asked about.

I’m one to think Dotson will be kept as he is still low cost and has starter experience, good depth for this year and priced right.

Salute the nation

I hear yaz top seed.

Some here have suggested trading Big Dot. I’d say with all the dealings of Kahn Artist, I’m sure Dotson’s name has been floated Or asked about.

I’m one to think Dotson will be kept as he is still low cost and has starter experience, good depth for this year and priced right.

Salute the nation
Dotson's contract balloons up to 2.7m this season. I feel like he doesn't make the 53 man. If Khan can get anything for him or Green I would be all over that trade. If we only keep 8 there's no way imo either would make the team over Seumalo, Daniels, Cole, or Herbig. And imo since those guys are pretty position flexible I could see us stash Spencer Anderson and Dunkle on the PS and just go with those four on the 53 man roster.

OT Chuks, Bro and Moore
C Cole
G Seumalo, Daniels (can play C), Herbig, Dotson

Green look like the odd man out if the FO can't find a trading partner for Dotson

My prediction:

LT- Broderick Jones
LG- Seumalo
OC- Cole
RG- Daniels
RT- Chuks starts the season but by October Moore takes over. The only reason Chuks starts over Moore would be because of contract. Rooney hates to pay people not to work. But eventually he will be seen as the weak link in the line and we move on with Moore.

Unless Moore improves his pass blocking it would be silly to move on from Chukes who right now is the better pass blocker.

I suppose that could change but that is just too much from an unknown for me to take stock in it.

Unless Moore improves his pass blocking it would be silly to move on from Chukes who right now is the better pass blocker.

I suppose that could change but that is just too much from an unknown for me to take stock in it.
Plus, one of the factors for Moore being at LT his rookie year was that he was "uncomfortable" at RT. Anyone believe that after 2 years of playing LT only, his comfort level on the right side has improved?
*Side note: I know his comfort level had BETTER improve. Otherwise, he's likely to find himself on the Kendrick Green "Path To The Bench". Clark has played both sides and right now, he may have the inside track to the Swing Tackle position. If Clark takes that reserve Tackle spot from Moore or Chuks, I wonder if they don't try to trade whoever he beats out.

Plus, one of the factors for Moore being at LT his rookie year was that he was "uncomfortable" at RT. Anyone believe that after 2 years of playing LT only, his comfort level on the right side has improved?
*Side note: I know his comfort level had BETTER improve. Otherwise, he's likely to find himself on the Kendrick Green "Path To The Bench". Clark has played both sides and right now, he may have the inside track to the Swing Tackle position. If Clark takes that reserve Tackle spot from Moore or Chuks, I wonder if they don't try to trade whoever he beats out.
You aren’t remembering that correctly. The reason Moore went to LT was because he beat out Chuks who was god awful at LT. You put your weak link at RT, not LT. Even last year playing LT Moore outperformed Chuks. I think Moore was outmatched on the blindside but still has a chance to be a serviceable RT. Chuks is just trash. We should have cut him before his roster bonus.

Last edited:
OT Chuks, Bro and Moore
C Cole
G Seumalo, Daniels (can play C), Herbig, Dotson

Green look like the odd man out if the FO can't find a trading partner for Dotson

We won’t miss Green because as you know,…… he never dressed for any regular season or play off games Last season.

Salute the nation

Most potential trade teams will probably wait till after curt down, they know what the STEELERS have and will anticipate a possible AXE drop.

I’d think they tried bundling at least Dotson in the draft movements, but no takers. Wouldn’t surprise me a bit on no takers on Moore or Oakorafor either.

You never know about injuries and stuff, so there is a possibility.

Salute the nation

You aren’t remembering that correctly. The reason Moore went to LT was because he beat out Chuks who was god awful at LT. You put your weak link at RT, not LT. Even last year playing LT Moore outperformed Chuks. I think Moore was outmatched on the blindside but still has a chance to be a serviceable RT. Chuks is just trash. We should have cut him before his roster bonus.
You sure?
I'll let Moore's own words in 2021 speak on the subject.

"It’s definitely been a challenge, especially going to right,” Moore said. “I’m not very comfortable on the right side. But like I said, just getting more reps and having a great defense to challenge me every day and a great coaching staff to help me with the game plan definitely helps, for sure."

https://steelersnow.com/dan-moore-a...ckle-is-a-challenge-says-hes-not-comfortable/

You sure?
I'll let Moore's own words in 2021 speak on the subject.

"It’s definitely been a challenge, especially going to right,” Moore said. “I’m not very comfortable on the right side. But like I said, just getting more reps and having a great defense to challenge me every day and a great coaching staff to help me with the game plan definitely helps, for sure."

https://steelersnow.com/dan-moore-a...ckle-is-a-challenge-says-hes-not-comfortable/
Yes. Okorafor got demoted to RT when he was beaten out by the rookie, Moore, for LT. You don’t put your strongest tackle on the right side.

https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...n-moore-jr-really-beat-out-chukwuma-okorafor/

Well, the first demotion was moving MOORE to RT during the last two weeks of the 2021 training camp after he had competed with Okorafor for the LT position.
When it became apparent that Banner was not going to make it back for the first game, they moved Moore to LT (in part because he wasn't comfortable on the right).
You know what else you don't do? You don't weaken two positions in order to fill one. Chuks had started 15 games at RT the year previous and, as of the last preseason game, Moore was still saying he was uncomfortable on the right.

"Chuks Okorafor took snaps at right tackle, the position he started for 15 games last season after Banner tore his ACL in the first game. Dan Moore, the rookie fourth-round draft pick, returned to left tackle in the Steelers’ first practice since he started the preseason finale at Carolina on the right side.

Until Monday, Okorafor had taken all of his snaps in training camp at left tackle, and Moore played there until being shifted to the right side two weeks ago so he could learn both positions."

https://triblive.com/sports/dan-moo...ight-as-steelers-make-alternate-tackle-plans/

We disagree on the whole "how it went down" thing. No surprise there.
What interests me is that some folks believe the 8th most penalized tackle in the league last year, who gave up the 7th most sacks, is going to somehow morph into the answer at RT. This after admitting he's not comfortable on that side and having not taken a snap on that side in any type of game action for the last two seasons. (And never at all during a regular season or post-season game).
I guess it could happen.
Also note, this is not an endorsement of Chuks. His run blocking is lackluster at best.